New Player Warrior PVP? Should I Reroll?

Secondwind.8765

Hey everyone,

I've been diving deeper into Guild Wars 2 recently and have developed an interest in PvP. Currently, I'm maining a warrior, but I've come across some discouraging feedback about warriors in PvP. So, I'm looking for advice on what profession might suit my playstyle better, something akin to the traditional melee classes found in other MMOs or perhaps reminiscent of a retribution paladin from WoW.

Any suggestions and insights on which profession to reroll to and how to excel in PvP with it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 3

Zerker is really good, defend your near, but only take on 1v1s, get out if more, help out at mid when you can, get back and check/defend near. Only if you lose mid and they rush your near should you consider going far, decap mid on way if possible. Then, when the newbs panic and all rush mid/their near, use your mobility and sustain to get back to your near and recap. But always prioritise defending your near, the spawn is closer which takes less  time to get to, meaning the other teams enemy who is going far is at tactical disadvantedge. Don't be that noob who goes far all game, and thinks hes helping for getting killed 2v1 ''I slowed them down for the team'' << don't be that guy.

Edited by Flowki.7194

My honest recommendation is to not pvp at all, but rather to spend your time doing more constructive things in game or IRL.

As it is right now, gw2 pvp is not worth it for new players to learn IMO.

Nothing but a mountain of frustration awaits you, sparsely sprinkled with brief and fleeting moments of dopamine. WoW pvp is honestly more taken care of and looked after at this point and that's a sad state of affairs to admit tbh.

Easiest examples to list:

- We haven't even gotten a new pvp map in 5+ years. There are no announcements or plans to add one either, nor any plans for any type of new pvp mode (capture the flag, 5v5 death match, survival, etc)

- PvP balance now only happens every ~3-6months so if a class is beyond OP like Cata was, yes, that means it will then be OP for 3-6 months. 

- Anet might just decide to give your class one dodge for 3 years as well.

- The lead Dev is heavily biased towards a select few classes only, so if you play those great, if not, good luck.

- Every now and again Anet will make some good changes yes, but it's like 80% bad/20% good at this point. A very horrible ratio to deal with as a player.

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

As an almost perpetually negative warrior main:

Recent changes to warrior have fixed a lot of problems with it.  It still has a good deal of clunkiness, but nothing is so unusable that it can't do good work. Go for it. 90% of my gripes are me being mad at arc divider. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1

I wouldn't reroll if u like the class, warriors can be a force from hell if the players skilled on it, to answer ur question warrior is this games straight forward melee monster but even with it being strait forward it has a high skill ceiling to keep the class interesting. Splb can essentially lock someone down and stomp I into the ground, good times can be had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deathdealer.2197 said:

Its more of the way damage is dealth imo, war has these annoying setups in comparison to slb and vindi. Imo ofc

Yeah but vindi GS 5 is very brodcast, impossible to land unless they are stunned or rooted, and 1H sword abilitys are quite cumbersome to use (comared to say D/D ele).  Nothing beats hammer cata 5s and air 2/4 for combersome though.. dear god.

When I played war, I didn't mind spellbreaker, it all felt ok if if im honest. Headbutt is it? was that zeker? I can't remember now, but that was one of the only abilitys I found I had to pay attention to. I never played blade, and never will.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:34 AM, Waffles.5632 said:

My honest recommendation is to not pvp at all, but rather to spend your time doing more constructive things in game or IRL.

As it is right now, gw2 pvp is not worth it for new players to learn IMO.

Nothing but a mountain of frustration awaits you, sparsely sprinkled with brief and fleeting moments of dopamine. WoW pvp is honestly more taken care of and looked after at this point and that's a sad state of affairs to admit tbh.

Easiest examples to list:

- We haven't even gotten a new pvp map in 5+ years. There are no announcements or plans to add one either, nor any plans for any type of new pvp mode (capture the flag, 5v5 death match, survival, etc)

- PvP balance now only happens every ~3-6months so if a class is beyond OP like Cata was, yes, that means it will then be OP for 3-6 months. 

- Anet might just decide to give your class one dodge for 3 years as well.

- The lead Dev is heavily biased towards a select few classes only, so if you play those great, if not, good luck.

- Every now and again Anet will make some good changes yes, but it's like 80% bad/20% good at this point. A very horrible ratio to deal with as a player.

I gave a sad emoji to your post......because it is so true

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Yeah but vindi GS 5 is very brodcast, impossible to land unless they are stunned or rooted, and 1H sword abilitys are quite cumbersome to use (comared to say D/D ele).  Nothing beats hammer cata 5s and air 2/4 for combersome though.. dear god.

When I played war, I didn't mind spellbreaker, it all felt ok if if im honest. Headbutt is it? was that zeker? I can't remember now, but that was one of the only abilitys I found I had to pay attention to. I never played blade, and never will.

Tbf i have only played war post arc divider nerf but it just misses the "oomph" that I associate with the warrior stereotype.

Headbutt is zerker I think? I actually really enjoy GS/swordaxe zerker in terms of playstyle, its just a bit lacking in the sustain department.. im not much of a meta gamer as you can probably tell lol

I tried bladesworn once and I can only describe it as.. clunky and counterintuitive, wont play it again either 

Edited by deathdealer.2197

2 hours ago, deathdealer.2197 said:

Tbf i have only played war post arc divider nerf but it just misses the "oomph" that I associate with the warrior stereotype.

Headbutt is zerker I think? I actually really enjoy GS/swordaxe zerker in terms of playstyle, its just a bit lacking in the sustain department.. im not much of a meta gamer as you can probably tell lol

I tried bladesworn once and I can only describe it as.. clunky and counterintuitive, wont play it again either 

Yeah there are some fun playstyles, I just wanted to try them to see the stun animations really though.

Condi berserker might be one of the stronger playstyles right now.

If you feel like a chad enough you can always run the Gunflame zerker build and hit someone with 20k damage in 1,5 seconds.

Other then that id say that Spellbreaker is a solid option. Warrior is pretty clunky as a profession but if you can get over that its alright.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:57 AM, Flowki.7194 said:

Zerker is really good, defend your near, but only take on 1v1s, get out if more, help out at mid when you can, get back and check/defend near. Only if you lose mid and they rush your near should you consider going far, decap mid on way if possible. Then, when the newbs panic and all rush mid/their near, use your mobility and sustain to get back to your near and recap. But always prioritise defending your near, the spawn is closer which takes less  time to get to, meaning the other teams enemy who is going far is at tactical disadvantedge. Don't be that noob who goes far all game, and thinks hes helping for getting killed 2v1 ''I slowed them down for the team'' << don't be that guy.

This is very bad advice, not only is it unintelligible, but its bad when it has been deciphered