Pay to play??? T2 & T3 rifts!!

Frostfang.5109

8 hours ago, Frostfang.5109 said:

I have to pay (with resources) to play certain content (t2 & t3 rifts)! Creating  a material sink barrier for getting access to events is greedy in my opinion.

It's healthy for the economy is what I say.

Let's change things when they don't work any more as intended and not before.

So long you can join others, since it needs more than one person to do t3 rifts anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aresz.8240 said:

Yeah, let's add in another 10,000 rifts, I'll feel like I accomplished something well earned.

There are already ways to earn legendary armor in the game for those who actually want to play the game in a more challenging fashion. The fact that people asked for something for casual players is why this is the system. If you don't like it, go raid and get legendary armor.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

You can also just do the weekly t1 rift achievements you can get 25 chests that can give you essence from all tiers. They have given a method for the casual players too. All be it will take you a lot longer but It is there. But like many people said, I honestly count myself as a casual player and I have a ton of mats. It will seem expensive for the new player but for many long term players these mats have been in our banks for years with no use. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

u can jump into trains and "leech" for free..

also the materials used to craft it is a sink for materials thats rain on traditional metas: SW, dragonfall, Drizzlewood.

in my bank last time i checked i have enough to craft 160+ T3, without spend a single coin.

theres guys leading T2 trains near 24/7...  more rarier is t3, but last time some guy was leading T3 he said he have 90+ motivations.

Sounds good but you can have mat sink different way. If I want to do T3 randomly and no group running, I must spend gold. It's definitely questionable decision.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

He did provide the caveat that he was referring to in game resources. Paying in game resources to play something is paying in game resources to play that something. He was very clear that he was not referring to paying real world money to play the content because that is an obvious requirement. 

Using ingame resources to play ingame content isn't a new concept, not even in gw2.

Fully participating in the content, which is what I mentioned in my post, includes activating the rifts. If there is a component of the process that one is not performing then one is not fully participating.

Pressing f on a rift isn't exactly a meaningful bit of gameplay that would qualify or diqualify someone from "[fully] participating in this content". What a weird straw it is to try and say "if YOU are not activating it, it means you're not fully participating" (that's what you're saying here, right?). Guess if YOU are not "opening" a strike, raid or dungeon instance, you're also not fully participating in that content? 😐 
Participating in the content means... participating in the content, while your (pretty sure re-invented) idea of it suddenly requires opening it to qualify for participation. Pretty sure that's not a thing.

Ultimately we will see how active rifts are in a year or two for determining whether or not the OP's concerns are well founded. Anet has a history of allowing content to stagnate, leaving players to struggle to get whatever objective is gated by the content. Hopefully this will not be one of those cases.

Yup, we will. We will also probably notice how the price of certain items -and materials used for them- is bound to people wanting x faster.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Shadow Chaser.1948 said:

Sounds good but you can have mat sink different way. If I want to do T3 randomly and no group running, I must spend gold. It's definitely questionable decision.

...what way? Sounds like you want a mat sink that won't influence you in any way no matter what, at which point it's not much of a mat sink.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I don't understand how people are struggling with this. It literally took me four or five days to get all the essence I needed by leeching off of commanders. First two days I didn't understand you needed the motivations, but after it finally clicked I finally started tipping comms like ten gold or whatever for carrying the costs of the motivation and even started making some myself occasionally because you literally drown in essences once you get the mastery unlocked for it. And that's for being someone that is not even opening the motivations. Comms get even more.

Five days total to get what I need and that's not including the leftover essences I have for whatever next step we need. People really just don't bother or don't care to look into things just a little bit more to realize things are not as hard as people give credit for. 

Also, these motivations are a material sink. A big one, sure, but it is a mat sink for things we typically didn't use unless we were doing legendary crafting, and even then some legendaries don't require the mats that the motivations use. Ectos, outside of gambling, weren't used in large amounts. Same for T5 mats and some even T6 mats. I see this content as a means to have hoarders actually use their materials and actually kickstart the economy since it was stagnant for..a long time imho. On top of all of that, there is not one day, where I log in randomly where I don't see people running groups for ALL essence types. They are running consistently between late morning all the way past prime time. Unless you are on the side of the world where it is in the middle of the night or at the very crack of dawn, these trains are always available for the time being, until the legendary rifts that were mentioned come around to offer even MORE means to get essence.

People really are just not bothering to try because it is an inconvenience, not because it is not available to the casual player. And yes, I do consider myself a casual player, especially since I only put in a few hours in at a time nowadays. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Take a guess who's paying that price in the first place. Antique summ stone price history should give you a hint.

If you're just "calling out t3 rift", everyone thinks YOU are the one who's opening it with motivation. There's no reason to call it out otherwise because finding t2/t3 rifts isn't an issue, they're literally available 24/7. So you get the result you describe.

Absolutely I would assume the person calling it is the one opening it.  I encountered a rift a couple of days ago that another player let the map know there was a tier 3, and would someone help open it.  And players came.  So if anyone is calling them out otherwise, expect some possibly confused people lol.

I have just started getting more into the tier 2 and 3, and crafting the motivations.  I don't find it expensive or difficult...mostly I run out of essences because I don't farm them a lot.  I play about two hours a day....so if I can do it, surely it's not that bad.

6 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

There are already ways to earn legendary armor in the game for those who actually want to play the game in a more challenging fashion. The fact that people asked for something for casual players is why this is the system. If you don't like it, go raid and get legendary armor.

There are people who are already legendary and are doing this for the skin(s) only. Also, what kind of statement is that? "Oooh, this is merely for casuals, and if it bores you go do more challenging content." Excuse me? There is tons of "casual" content that is actually fun and that would make for a much better experience than Rift Hunting. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

35 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

There are people who are already legendary and are doing this for the skin(s) only. Also, what kind of statement is that? "Oooh, this is merely for casuals, and if it bores you go do more challenging content." Excuse me? There is tons of "casual" content that is actually fun and that would make for a much better experience than Rift Hunting. :classic_rolleyes:

Then focus on weeklies, what's your sudden need to have the skin asap? It's not even in the game and we don't know how it will actually look in the first place. If anyone wants to grind it out asap, it's basically their own choice. Otherwise it's easy to consistently progress towards it without hyperfocusing on it and burning yourself out or w/e.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

There's nothing casual about acquiring the new armor. It takes dedication and commitment to endless grind. That's the exact opposite of casual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Then focus on weeklies, what's your sudden need to have the skin asap?

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that the same dumb argument of "It's for casuals!" and "You asked for it!" is getting pretty old. No one asked for monotonous boredom when Tyria has so much to offer content-wise. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that the same dumb argument of "It's for casuals!" and "You asked for it!" is getting pretty old. No one asked for monotonous boredom when Tyria has so much to offer content-wise. 😉

So... content you can easly play anyways while throwing in a rift event here or there for a rather easy 25 rifts a week that include additional essence chests? Did any other armor get what you suddenly want here? I don't think they did and yet people were fine with getting those -and judging by your earlier posts, that includes you too.

The complaints also didn't seem to include some "oh, because replaying the same content is boring fast!", it mostly included things amounting to "I don't play that mode" and literally included proposals of things like repeatedly tagging world bosses, which one could easly argue is more monotonous and boring. It's almost as if [repeatable action] isn't an issue here, but a more active gameplay is, because they wanted to login-tag-logout on the set hour for minimal gameplay and maximal rewards?

And I don't think it's a "dumb argument" at all, it's just true.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

people asked for open world content, its doenst means jumping puzzles.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

I don't understand how people are struggling with this. It literally took me four or five days to get all the essence I needed by leeching off of commanders. First two days I didn't understand you needed the motivations, but after it finally clicked I finally started tipping comms like ten gold or whatever for carrying the costs of the motivation and even started making some myself occasionally because you literally drown in essences once you get the mastery unlocked for it. And that's for being someone that is not even opening the motivations. Comms get even more.

Five days total to get what I need and that's not including the leftover essences I have for whatever next step we need. People really just don't bother or don't care to look into things just a little bit more to realize things are not as hard as people give credit for. 

Also, these motivations are a material sink. A big one, sure, but it is a mat sink for things we typically didn't use unless we were doing legendary crafting, and even then some legendaries don't require the mats that the motivations use. Ectos, outside of gambling, weren't used in large amounts. Same for T5 mats and some even T6 mats. I see this content as a means to have hoarders actually use their materials and actually kickstart the economy since it was stagnant for..a long time imho. On top of all of that, there is not one day, where I log in randomly where I don't see people running groups for ALL essence types. They are running consistently between late morning all the way past prime time. Unless you are on the side of the world where it is in the middle of the night or at the very crack of dawn, these trains are always available for the time being, until the legendary rifts that were mentioned come around to offer even MORE means to get essence.

People really are just not bothering to try because it is an inconvenience, not because it is not available to the casual player. And yes, I do consider myself a casual player, especially since I only put in a few hours in at a time nowadays. 

What exactly did you collect in 5 days? The full number of essences needed for legendary armor seems unlikely.

• Like 1

It's play to play - since you can get the stuff you need to craft motivations ... by playing the game. And this is far away from the level of grinding money to trade into gems to get gem store stuff. Most importantly: The high tier rifts get done regularly by people in the weekly non-SotO maps (that probably want them for the title achievement) so you can just join in there as well - for free.

If you want to farm them for the legendary ... then it is just your usual legendary farming. This isn't even really interesting "content". But similar stuff is for other legendaries. (Where you also need to farm things. And/or money.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

It's play to play - since you can get the stuff you need to craft motivations ... by playing the game. And this is far away from the level of grinding money to trade into gems to get gem store stuff. Most importantly: The high tier rifts get done regularly by people in the weekly non-SotO maps (that probably want them for the title achievement) so you can just join in there as well - for free.

If you want to farm them for the legendary ... then it is just your usual legendary farming. This isn't even really interesting "content". But similar stuff is for other legendaries. (Where you also need to farm things. And/or money.)

Exatctly sir.

is also a source of income, since crafting motivations to sell is profitable for while.

28 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

What exactly did you collect in 5 days? The full number of essences needed for legendary armor seems unlikely.

I collected what I needed for the current set available because I'm not that naive to believe the fact that:

A) We are not going to have a faster way to collect essence. (They literally said we are getting updated and bigger rifts via legendaries)
B) Those values are going to stay the same

But, yes, I collected the essence I needed for the exotic set in about five days and then for the whole legendary armor? About two weeks.

Edited by Dreams.3128