You're the CEO. What do the next 5 years look like?

I am not sure if I am totally qualified to answer this question, but:

1) Achievement UI
Fix the Achievement UI. It is a mess and impossible to navigate unless you are looking through the wiki for ways to unlock skins that you want. I would never
have known about Funerary skins unless I browsed weapons and armor on the wiki, for example. The game relies way too much on the wiki to give players an idea of what to do.

2) Achievement UI follow up
Regarding the Achievement UI, just make a quest log so it's easy to keep track of what is available for you to do. For those of us who have played for years, we understand that we need to look through the achievements, but for a new player? Nightmare!

3) Ovearching storyline
ArenaNet needs to figure out what they want to do with an overarching storyline for their expansions. I like Secret of the Obscure so far, but I liked Guild Wars:Factions the most of all the Guild Wars games because Shiro was a great villain whose path was interesting to follow. The same can be said about Warmarshal Varesh Ossa in Nightfall. 
Guild Wars 2 has weird story telling, like forcing a group of characters (Divinity, Dragons) on you that Arenanet wants me to care about but I ultimately don’t because they are not fleshed out enough. Also, a mute player character would have been better since the voice makes my character into yet another boring Arenanet character that I don’t care about.

4) Ovearching storyline - Villains 
Guild Wars 2 lacks compelling villains that are built up throughout expansions. Now we have Kryptis that are boring FFXIV: Shadowbringers looking Sin Eaters rip-offs. I know that modern ArenaNet is not the same as those who created my two favorite games, Factions and Nightfall. Joko was great in Path of Fire, but they had to kill him off for some reason that made no sense. He's immortal goddamit!

5) Character models and graphical updates
Definitely a character model update and general graphics (mostly lightning) update for the whole game so it gets up to Path of Fire standards.

6) Innovation vs roleplay
While I generally want to applaud ArenaNet for innovating the MMORPG genre constantly, that innovation sometimes makes Guild Wars 2 suffer from a roleplay standpoint. The game feels very “gamey” a lot of times. The game doesn't hide that I am farming EXP in Secrets of the Obscure to get all the masteries done. It doesn't hide that I am farming mastery points or skins well beind interesting sidequests like in FFXIV.
ESO is the king in my book for "immersion.” I’m not looking for that experience here, but maybe just try to ground our characters a bit instead of constantly throwing us into universe ending threatsa.la. Avengers or World of Warcraft. Guild Wars universe used to be more grounded.

Remember Prophecies and the atrocities of the humans towards the Charr although we thought it was the other way around at first? That was good story telling.

6) Heart of Thorns was the best expac even for a casual andy like myself
Shame that they gave up on the Heart of Thorns formula. I am a casual-andy and those maps were the best Guild Wars 2 ever had. Everywhere you went, everything wanted you dead. You were truly in a hostile and unknown jungle where you just tried to survive from day to day. Immersion!
Then Path of Fire came, and we went back to the cuddly buddy road movie storyline that has plagued this game since its inception. 

Balthazar wants to kill every dragon now for... reasons! And we are standing in his way for... reasons. So we need to die as well. OOOOOOR, we could taken 5 minutes to talk with Balthazar and explained why killing of the dragons was bad idea for the survival of Tyria. Gods have abandoned Tyria for.... reasons, even Kormir!

The lore really took a big hit that it didn't recover from in Path of Fire.

I said before that I like Secrets of the Obscure so far and I do, but I am not really sure why we the "commander" or "wayfinder" cares about the Kryptis... ehrm... Sin Eaters... beyond that they want to take over the world for some reason that is not really explained.

We are not the Warrior of Light or Darkness. We are just some random Tyrian, Canthan, Elonian, Asuran, Sylvarian or Charr schmuk that used to follow along with Trahearne. The real hero of the story.

I also understand that everything depends on what funds are available to ArenaNet to pump into the game, but I just jolted down my ideas without regard to the cost or timeline to fix these things.

Edited by GreenZap.1352
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Raizel.1839 said:

Cut updating gw2, start making gw3.

That would be a mistake.  The MMO market isn't what it used to be and not all GW2 players will move to GW3.  Many GW2 players have too much time and money invested into the game to drop it all for GW3, especially knowing that GW4 is right around the corner.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.  When GW3 comes out I will not only not play it, I would quit GW2 as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

That would be a mistake.  The MMO market isn't what it used to be and not all GW2 players will move to GW3.  Many GW2 players have too much time and money invested into the game to drop it all for GW3, especially knowing that GW4 is right around the corner.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.  When GW3 comes out I will not only not play it, I would quit GW2 as well.

I agree with this, but if ArenaNet wants to continue with Guild Wars 2, then the game need to be brought up more towards modern standards.

The UI is in dire need of a redesign!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, GreenZap.1352 said:

I agree with this, but if ArenaNet wants to continue with Guild Wars 2, then the game need to be brought up more towards modern standards.

The UI is in dire need of a redesign!

The content has seemed to outgrow the UI.  Not that the UI was ever great to begin with.

But to get back to the point of the thread, this is not the CEO's job.  This is the lead designer's job.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

...this is not the CEO's job.  This is the lead designer's job.

When I posed the question I chose the position of C.E.O. arbitrarily; in meaning I was suggesting that you were the highest authority on the matter. We are coming to you for all decisions for the next 5 years, the guiding principles and the short term future. What would that be like? 

It's been great to read peoples' POV and where they think the dev times should be focused. Money is a critical factor, and we are playing a numbers game to some degree.

Based on SotO in 12 months we are getting: 

• 3+1 maps, 2 (+cm) strikes , 1 (+cm) fractal
  • Weapon expansions, relics
  • Rifts, legendary armor
  • Great narrative progression

Assumedly, for the budget and lifecycle, this is what's possible dev/budget-wise and fits the data best. I loved that people can still imagine a world with more especs or increasing the price to increase quality or content. I really think people will pay Anet a lot more than they ask and will keep paying to explore more of the world. I don't think we need new systems. We just need more stuff for the ones we have. 

Anet has to contend with all of their different game modes and settle on a design philosophy. Their desire to focus on 3 distinct game modes is the only real way to do it IMO. Game modes need to be simplified into either PvE(open/world/raid/strike/fractal/dungeon), PvP(heart of the mists & activities & festival games), and WvW. These game modes deserve an expansion in order to get the focus and refinement they need. This is especially true if the maximum output of the studio is something like 4 maps, 4, strikes, and 2 fractals per year. 

This is where my personal bias comes into the matter. I don't want a little more replayable content. I want A LOT. The best way that comes to mind is to create 2 versions of WvW and PvP maps. Open world instances and WvW/PvP instances. This way they are weaved into the narrative of the game, those that don't engage with those game modes can still interact and fully explore the content without having to do in pvp/wvw, and these maps can double into the edge of the mists with real combat areas. Mounts, potentially. This opens the door to using existing open world maps and also creating WvW/PvP instances of these. 

In terms of PVE content... I want more but I think they are already spread too thin. I think Arenanet makes great raids, strikes, fractals, but there's just a blurred line between what is a bug and what is a feature and how long things take to resolve. I loved sunqua peak, with the addition on the story in the CM (and the ability to skip to final with the mote), and I enjoyed this Kanaxai fractal. Sure the device is janky, but there's a real problem that so many "features" turned out to be bugs that still exist to this day. I would rather they hold some strikes and/or fractals back to fix the bugs. (It occurs to me that the bug issue maybe a CM only issue, in which case maybe its worth dropping CMs. Im a CM enjoyer, but can't justify sucking up dev time if this is where all the issues are). Maybe we can keep adding phases to the fight / story with them. In order to up the quality on this, new Strikes/fractals would have to be reduced in number. The caveat being, we also turn other open world bosses / events and turn them into refined fractals/strikes/raids and mixing them in with the new when they are ready. And/or add cms to existing versions that don't yet have them. 

I do believe the UI discussion is important but I don't have much to contribute. I don't know of a game with a seamless UI, especially when it leans into the cash shop or trading post. I don't know if I prefer this new Wizard's vault or the old, or what difference the chromium embedded made. I do agree with some folks however, that another graphical / UI overhaul would be my final "Rest in Peace" moment. Gw3 or horizon mmo, im game baby. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I would like to remind you that, Guild Wars 2 reveune is declining. Anet has not only abbandoned WvW Community but PvP Commnity as well for Bad Design and Power Creep. PvE Community will not stand much longer as other games in the market, put their players experience first in all of the game modes.

This is not about Guild Wars 2 is dying, its is dying with Anet allowing Bad Design, Power Creep and with having the Gaming Maket, most Toxic Stealth Mechanic, take control of the game, which ill Iminently, drive it to the ground.

-A player wishing for Guild Wars 3, should be Welcomed...as Guild Wars 2 is taking its last few breaths

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Confused 9

7 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

I would like to remind you that, Guild Wars 2 reveune is declining. Anet has not only abbandoned WvW Community but PvP Commnity as well for Bad Design and Power Creep. PvE Community will not stand much longer as other games in the market, put their players experience first in all of the game modes.

This is not about Guild Wars 2 is dying, its is dying with Anet allowing Bad Design, Power Creep and with having the Gaming Maket, most Toxic Stealth Mechanic, take control of the game, which ill Iminently, drive it to the ground.

-A player wishing for Guild Wars 3, should be Welcomed...as Guild Wars 2 is taking its last few breaths

Yea I mean its only been going 11 years with the same stealth mechanic surely its soon dead.

• Haha 2

Hey guys new xpac leaked:

Prepare yourselves for an exhilarating 2024, introducing a plethora of exciting additions to the world of Guild Wars 2 with a new expansion:

Guild Wars 2: Ephemeral Echoes:

Weapons Galore: Brace yourselves for a dazzling array of new weapons tailored for each class, enhancing your combat experience.

A Fresh Challenge Awaits: Embark on a new map designed to provide a thrilling and challenging experience, tailored for seasoned adventurers seeking a meta that truly tests their skills.

PvP and PvE Delights: Engage in intense battles with a new PvP map and delve into the mysteries of a brand-new raid, strike, and fractal, each offering unique challenges and enticing rewards.

Gameplay Enhancements:

Unveiling Surprises: The element of surprise continues to thrive as we introduce spontaneous events, ensuring that every moment spent in the game is filled with unexpected excitement.

WvW Evolution: Experience a transformed WvW landscape where adapting your gameplay strategy is key to reaping the rewards. Navigate through random events, engage in epic battles, and utilize mounts creatively, ensuring a dynamic and ever-changing experience.

Exciting PvP Rewards: Participate in our seasonal tournaments, offering exclusive themed rewards such as majestic mount skins. These rewards will be exclusive during the season and later available through alternative means, providing all players with a chance to attain these coveted items.

Coming Next:

Fractal Revolution: Imagine a world where all instanced PvE content, including raids and dungeons, transforms into fractals, offering a unique and challenging experience for players.

Elevated Challenges: Brace yourselves for Tier 5 difficulty, coupled with the removal and reworking of outdated fractals and strikes. Embrace the challenge and reap the rewards.

Rediscovering the Past: Delve into nostalgia as we repurpose past content to create thrilling new adventures, resurrecting epic boss fights and legendary encounters for a new generation of heroes.

Solo Triumphs: Experience the thrill of facing off against solo instanced bosses, designed to test your skills and wit in the ultimate battle of one.

Competition at Its Finest: Ascend the ranks and prove your prowess with leaderboards for every in-game activity, providing a competitive edge to your endeavors.

Prepare for a year of unparalleled excitement and challenge in the ever-evolving world of Guild Wars 2. Get ready to face new foes, conquer uncharted territories, and unveil the mysteries that await. Your adventure begins anew in 2024!

• Like 2

Edit: I wouldput some item from the Legendary Runes in PvP (+10% damage while flanking + any +% percentage damage runes) .

Edit2: Golemance + other problematic runes  belong to the Legendery runes v2 , which is not allowed in competive modes

I want to see some "high skill action " bwtwee two high skilled comunities

The OW and WvW community , for some reason they will sit on the sides and eat popcorn

(Come over here ! Psss psss pss noew)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

GW3 for sure. i believe GW is an iconic name in the MMO genre and a new GW would generate a ton of interest which could catapult it into a staple MMO if handled correctly. the new GW would also focus on improving the systems of the old, with similar build customization but weightier action combat, less massive particle heavy abilities and improved audiovisual feedback. The tech limitations should also be expanded with the use of a new engine, allowing for more players without lag, and bigger cooler events with less screen clutter. personally I believe the metas from heart of thorns were peak GW2 and deserve to be the bar for overworld PvE action going forwards.  I would also prioritize a seamless open world instead of map zones, and finally I would make sure there was a space for wars between guilds in Guild Wars, perhaps via some specialized PvP meta events.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 10/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, Burnfall.9573 said:

I understand that GW2 is declining.  That doesn't change the fact that if they abandon GW2 for GW3, then I'm out.  There's a reason WoW 2 doesn't exist.  Also, There's no guarantee that spending the required resources needed to make GW3 would stop the decline.  There is historical evidence that making GW3 could fail and take GW2 with it.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I understand that GW2 is declining.  That doesn't change the fact that if they abandon GW2 for GW3, then I'm out.  There's a reason WoW 2 doesn't exist.  Also, There's no guarantee that spending the required resources needed to make GW3 would stop the decline.  There is historical evidence that making GW3 could fail and take GW2 with it.

this is why I posted prior that players wishing for Guild Wars 3, should be welcomed. I do not fully support abbandoning Guild Wars 2, what I support is for Anet to abbandon WvW and PvP as 11 years failed game modes in return, to focus Guild Wars 2 as a PvE game. 

"Whipping a dead horse" for 11 years, has it brought any life, healthy long-term positive changes to WvW and PvP? Absolutley Not!'  It only worsen!!

Bad Design and Power Creep has completely taking control of longtime-WvW then PvP. So why continue make the players suffer for years on end, when our desire for a Healthy, Competitive Gaming Experience, are continue being ignored in the place of Toxic Experience?

WHY CONTINUE PUT THE PLAYERS IN A POSITION TO CHASE, TO GO AFTER; FALSE HOPE, FALSE DREAM, LOST CAUSE... WHEN THERE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER END??!!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 6

- Return to a proper xpac model with living world inbetween.

- Limit infusions to 2 slots only to prevent excessive stacking.

- Invest in accessibility. At he very least add a slider in graphics options to reduce flashing lights.

- More options to subdue skill effects and improve visibility in fights. Not outright cull party member's effects, just reduce.

- Cut down the woke pandering.

- Allow players to make more important decisions throughout the RP sections of the game. I'm so done with the clearcut good-vs-evil power of friendship narrative, please just let me be a shady kleptomaniac that occasionally sides with the villains.

- Add a "minimal dialogue" setting for people who can't be bothered to spend half an hour listening to chatter and just want to get to the action part.

- Eliminate lazy "travel to X and press F 10 times" content.

- Create raid mini-xpacs. Paid sidequests esentially, but with brand new regions and assets.

- Most controversial for last: delete the gemstore. Add new items as quest rewards, still allow donations (couples with polls for what features you want to see next) and make expac sales the main method of earning income.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Wolfshade.9251 said:

- Return to a proper xpac model with living world inbetween.

- Limit infusions to 2 slots only to prevent excessive stacking.

- Invest in accessibility. At he very least add a slider in graphics options to reduce flashing lights.

- More options to subdue skill effects and improve visibility in fights. Not outright cull party member's effects, just reduce.

- Cut down the woke pandering.

- Allow players to make more important decisions throughout the RP sections of the game. I'm so done with the clearcut good-vs-evil power of friendship narrative, please just let me be a shady kleptomaniac that occasionally sides with the villains.

- Add a "minimal dialogue" setting for people who can't be bothered to spend half an hour listening to chatter and just want to get to the action part.

- Eliminate lazy "travel to X and press F 10 times" content.

- Create raid mini-xpacs. Paid sidequests esentially, but with brand new regions and assets.

- Most controversial for last: delete the gemstore. Add new items as quest rewards, still allow donations (couples with polls for what features you want to see next) and make expac sales the main method of earning income.

last one will never happen, but would be good to see players turning against any microtransaction ingame...

• Like 2

• Year 1 wrap up SoTo

• Year 2: new mini expac, Treath of the Invaders. (We are going to the human planet baby!, for those who don’t know humans are aliens in Tyria)

• A brand new planet with 3 maps will be introduced. Future maps will be added and this planet will have it’s own rules and boundaries outside Tyria.

• A new class, based on the planets lore will be introduced, it has no elite specs so development of it will be easier. But it will be similar to the revenant having different specs built in.

• New WvW modes or objectives. Perhaps PvP zones inside PvE maps of the new expansion. New mode Extraction: A lucrative zone with rare and valuable nodes that can be harvested. Players will have to fight for territory and recourses. Occasionally a very powerful npc boss will spawn and players will have to team up to deal with it.

• Anet being acquired by either Microsoft or Ubisoft. Now we have a much larger budget to work with, but more tight expectations. Give and take. Now also the true innovation of Anet can shine in mainstream games and breathe new life into soulless AAA games.

• 2 new raids.

• Old living world bosses introduced as strikes: Balthazar, the final enemy of HoT (mordremoth dream thing), etc

• Rework of some Ibs strikes and new cm modes

• 1 big final expansion: Guild Wars 2 Utopia!! For those who don’t know this was suppose to be the 4th expansion for GW1. However, it proved too difficult due to the innovation they were planning, so they made a brand new game GW2! This expansion will basically be the true vision of GW2 on steroids! Now we have much newer tech and recourses to work with so it would be fun to see how far Anet could go. Also the setting of Utopia is super cool: Xotecha.

Edited by Mukizo.1269
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

this is why I posted prior that players wishing for Guild Wars 3, should be welcomed. I do not fully support abbandoning Guild Wars 2, what I support is for Anet to abbandon WvW and PvP as 11 years failed game modes in return, to focus Guild Wars 2 as a PvE game. 

"Whipping a dead horse" for 11 years, has it brought any life, healthy long-term positive changes to WvW and PvP? Absolutley Not!'  It only worsen!!

Bad Design and Power Creep has completely taking control of longtime-WvW then PvP. So why continue make the players suffer for years on end, when our desire for a Healthy, Competitive Gaming Experience, are continue being ignored in the place of Toxic Experience?

WHY CONTINUE PUT THE PLAYERS IN A POSITION TO CHASE, TO GO AFTER; FALSE HOPE, FALSE DREAM, LOST CAUSE... WHEN THERE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER END??!!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

I'm not convinced that WvW is a failed game mode.  I'm not a fan because it just feels like running around in a large circle.  However, it does seem to have a large enough number of players.  Could it use improvements?  Sure.  Is it failed? no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I'm not convinced that WvW is a failed game mode.  I'm not a fan because it just feels like running around in a large circle.  However, it does seem to have a large enough number of players.  Could it use improvements?  Sure.  Is it failed? no.

Anet has abbadoned WvW for years and has allowed Toxicity and Power Creep to shape and form it. In the duration of 11 years, there are more PvP Only balance patch then WvW balance patches, so what gives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpYlYgwhqD8

this video proves that, Absolutely, Nothing Changed for years on end. Any Game Company who allows Toxicity in their game design and to be the symbol of their Gaming Culture of their games; are doomed to fail. 

How poor game design is leading to an increase in toxicity in the gaming community

"Poor game design, especially among competitive games, is causing a severe wave of toxicity within the gaming community. On a platform based on competition, toxicity has always existed; however, now more than ever, that toxicity is ruining an otherwise relaxing hobby."

"The community is only toxic because the game design promotes toxicity"

Anet relutness to address WvW Community concerns about their experience and neglecting those those who reports, endless  evidences of Exploits, Abuse who takes Advantage of Bad/Poor Game Design, Mechanics and its Environments...... 

Allowing Power Creep, Bad Design, Exploits, Mechanic/Skill Abuse, Profession Design Abuse, Toxic Stealth Mechanic, Toxic Area Control Effects, Harrassment, Bullying, Name Calling, Elitisim and alllowing Toxic behaviors to continue without Consequences or Punishements...

Preventing counters, fair competition, preventing in creating a healthy, comeptitive environment for players including new players, potential players, from engaging in a fun, enjoyable learning experience to festure in WvW for years and years is Imminent Failure.

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 4

How To Turn The Guild Wars Franchise Around In Five Easy Steps

The plan is simple:

1. Redirect funds through a series of shell companies, trusts and charitable organizations.

2. Shelter the proceeds in various tax havens, diversified investment portfolios and cryptocurrencies.

3. Use a portion of the funds obtained to build a huge, fortress-like estate on a large private beach in Brazil guarded by loyal henchmen and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

4. Retire as CEO after pinning the aforementioned disappearance of corporate funds on subordinates.

5. Enjoy the next five years of opulent, tropical bliss... and beyond!

But this bright, ambitious vision for the future of Guild Wars can only become a reality if I'm the CEO, so I'm counting on your support at the next board meeting.

Do not fail me.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Majic.4801 said:

How To Turn The Guild Wars Franchise Around In Five Easy Steps

The plan is simple:

1. Redirect funds through a series of shell companies, trusts and charitable organizations.

2. Shelter the proceeds in various tax havens, diversified investment portfolios and cryptocurrencies.

3. Use a portion of the funds obtained to build a huge, fortress-like estate on a large private beach in Brazil guarded by loyal henchmen and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

4. Retire as CEO after pinning the aforementioned disappearance of corporate funds on subordinates.

5. Enjoy the next five years of opulent, tropical bliss... and beyond!

But this bright, ambitious vision for the future of Guild Wars can only become a reality if I'm the CEO, so I'm counting on your support at the next board meeting.

Do not fail me.

Hunter, ... Is that you?

• Haha 1