Class Changing?

Class changing  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want class changer?

• Yes. It's way overdue.
    • No. I don't think so.
    • Well... I was thinking X could be Y
    • Wait. Let me think...
  2. 2. How would you want it to go about?

• Just like GW1. Talk to an NPC, after ascending
    • Should be a Gem Store item (Cash'ing)
    • An achievement
    • A Personal Story restarter, but keep level 80
    • I have a better suggestion...
    • I've answered No to the first question
  3. 3. What value you see in this?

• None whatsoever. ANet has no means for it
    • A chance to cash in Gem Store
    • Should be free, and profits gained from somewhere else
    • I don't care what ANet wants. No its No
    • Now, let's talk numbers.

Any idea is welcome  to bolster the ingame numbers .

Resources are already planed to disturbuted among other modes for every expasnion (we could spent that yearly fractal and every 2nd expansion offer it as  pvp mode and none will miss it).

WvW + OW will carry the game , and the other modes will simply leech resoures

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

21 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If the point was "just to play another profession", we wouldn't need Profession Change options, because a person like me* would simply play their already existing character(s) of that other profession.

The point is that you love a character you have created and have them "maxed out" content-wise (including map completion), and years later you realize that you prefer to play another profession and would like to swap.

The fact that you cannot relate to this, because you have no attachment to your characters 😉, doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who would appreciate having the option to swap professions if they so desire.

*) who is a completions and a role-player at heart (to answer your question of "Why...?")

I have similar attachments to many of my characters… I even have one that I wish I had made as a different class… but despite that fact, I still don’t see this as a good idea… plus Anet already talked about why this will never happen years ago when they addressed why there aren’t , and never will be, any race change options. To add one would require them to redo ALL of the coding for classes, races, and the core personal story from the ground up with race/class changes in mind. The way these were programmed doesn’t give any possibility of changing them once a character is made.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

This has nothing to do with how attached someone is to their character. I'm personally attached to 4 of my current characters and swap between them routinely when I feel like playing a different way and have all of them geared out and each has their own aesthetic.

And I still can't relate to this.

Then you might not be a completionist nor care about character birthdays, perhaps? 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Then you might not be a completionist nor care about character birthdays, perhaps? 🤷‍♀️

What does that have to do with anything? You can get new character slots without deleting the old ones. And, again, what any of this has to do with "being a completionist"? 

btw:

Sale ending soon (less than 24 hours)

1. Character Slot Expansion 640 gems

😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Zergs.9715 said:

@OP

Don't be discouraged by the poll results. You've posted it at GW2 forums, a place even more detached from reality than reddit.

If GW2 forums say it's bad idea, then it's a good idea. How do I know? Just visit threads about mounts.

Thank you.

I agree. 

Most ideas Arena Net have integrated into the game got a ton of negative comments. 

So you are totally right.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Genuinely confused about how this is even relevant whatsoever. Did I miss the memo that said only 1 character gets a birthday? Or that I can't complete literally every achievement in this game across multiple characters because this game is, once again, incredibly alt friendly?

Legitimately asking what your point is. I don't follow it at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

Genuinely confused about how this is even relevant whatsoever. Did I miss the memo that said only 1 character gets a birthday? Or that I can't complete literally every achievement in this game across multiple characters because this game is, once again, incredibly alt friendly?

Legitimately asking what your point is. I don't follow it at all.

Let's put it this way.

Imagine someone has a character since launch. That would make the character now about 10 or 11 years old, right?

Say it's a warrior, and for age, achievements, looks, roleplay purposes, and many other reasons, the player does not want to delete that character, but fancies a change.

Let's say a new Guardian spec that has been released recently, or the new weapons that are yet to come, such as double pistols... and feels that would better suit/fit said character. 

The player could switch to Guardian and play certain spec with certain weapons without losing anything,  such as everything mentioned, and birthday gifts, etc.

Last but not least. 

Most people don't want to have two versions of the same character just for class sake; and besides, there's the name issue.

You cannot have the same name in two characters, and even if you wanted to; what is the likelihood that a similar name or variant is still available and not already taken by other player?

Those are some of the reasons.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I have similar attachments to many of my characters… I even have one that I wish I had made as a different class… but despite that fact, I still don’t see this as a good idea… plus Anet already talked about why this will never happen years ago when they addressed why there aren’t , and never will be, any race change options. To add one would require them to redo ALL of the coding for classes, races, and the core personal story from the ground up with race/class changes in mind. The way these were programmed doesn’t give any possibility of changing them once a character is made.

Attachment to my characters is why I normally wouldn't want to do this. My characters are complete people, I usually start creating their backstory and personality before I start making them in the character creator and by the time they exist in the game they're a fully defined character who I may not use for group role-playing but they have their own identity and are much more to me than just a bunch of stats and pixels for me to use to complete activities in the game.

To me that means profession changes usually wouldn't make any sense to me. Changing my ranger to a mesmer would require her to have a different personality and different life experiences that lead her down that path instead of the one she did take, I might even want her to look a bit different so it would make more sense to me to make a new character than change the one I've got. (I even did that for elite specs - my existing engineer would hate everything about the holosmith, she likes solid, practical machines with no unnecessary flash and sparkle, so when I decided I wanted to play holosmith I made a new engineer who would like that.)

There's only been once when I did change some characters around, and then it was largely a coincidence that they could fit with new professions. One was a norn revenant who is a raven devotee, the reasoning for him being a revenant is because he's fascinated with The Mists and wants to learn more about them. But I wanted him to use Nevermore and just didn't like the revenant's staff skills, so I changed him to a necromancer. I also had an asuran necromancer who was going to be continuing the ambition of combining necromancy and golemancy, but even though that's been a theme since GW1 I just didn't feel like it worked with the game mechanics (also I'm not a big fan of necromancer minions), so he got a slightly re-written back story and became my holosmith. Then I made a new character to be a revenant.

Other than that I'd rather make a new character, because to me it just wouldn't make sense for them to swap round professions whenever I feel like playing something else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Let's put it this way.

Imagine someone has a character since launch. That would make the character now about 10 or 11 years old, right?

Say it's a warrior, and for age, achievements, looks, roleplay purposes, and many other reasons, the player does not want to delete that character, but fancies a change.

Let's say a new Guardian spec that has been released recently, or the new weapons that are yet to come, such as double pistols... and feels that would better suit/fit said character. 

The player could switch to Guardian and play certain spec with certain weapons without losing anything,  such as everything mentioned, and birthday gifts, etc.

Last but not least. 

Most people don't want to have two versions of the same character just for class sake; and besides, there's the name issue.

You cannot have the same name in two characters, and even if you wanted to; what is the likelihood that a similar name or variant is still available and not already taken by other player?

Those are some of the reasons.

Look, I get it from a sentimentality standpoint. I understand that there are a number of people out there who play RPGs and only ever make one character for one reason or another.

However. You also have to understand two very important reasons why virtually *no* RPGs out there, whether single player or MMOs, have this sort of thing integrated.

The first I've already mentioned multiple times: it's an absolute coding nightmare. It would be so much more effort than you can even imagine to get a working prototype for this introduced to the game, and even after all the time and resources thrown at it there would be SOOOO many bugs on launch. Probably a good number of them game-breaking, completely locking people out or crashing their game until a fix was implemented.

The second is that, from a marketing standpoint, you are a part of an extreme minority in the eyes of Anet. You are asking them to devote expansion levels of technical resources to something that probably 1% of the playerbase cares about and would buy into. It's the exact same reason they will never implement race changers into the game, it isn't worth the amount of time that they would need to put into it for the number of players who would use it. They would almost certainly never get a return on the investment, and for a company who's end goal is to continue making money to keep the game alive (especially with a parent company as money hungry as NC Soft) they can't do things that give them no ROI. It's not sustainable.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

Genuinely confused about how this is even relevant whatsoever.

New character = less birthday progress. Unless the suggestion is to keep all characters one does no longer like to play. 😉

In any case, adding an option for Profession Change won't hurt anyone who argues that they don't see the need for it. :classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

5 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

As it was already mentioned, nothing here means you need to delete a character (and consequently "lose birthday gifts going forward"). Buy a character slot, maybe lvl 80 booster and wp unlocks, make a similar character with a similar name but with a different class and you can play whatever new espec or weapon that was added to it.
Without change I don't see what "birthday presents" or "being a completionist" have to do with anything here, as nobody told anybody to delete any character.

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Attachment to my characters is why I normally wouldn't want to do this. My characters are complete people, I usually start creating their backstory and personality before I start making them in the character creator and by the time they exist in the game they're a fully defined character who I may not use for group role-playing but they have their own identity and are much more to me than just a bunch of stats and pixels for me to use to complete activities in the game.

To me that means profession changes usually wouldn't make any sense to me.

Exactly my thoughts. If someone claims they're so bound to their character then wanting to change its profession doesn't make much sense in the first place.

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

New character = less birthday progress. Unless the suggestion is to keep all characters one does no longer like to play. 😉

...the same way you didn't want to play the class you'd want to change to now? No reason not to keep the last character/class just so you have an option to use it when you happen to want to play that class again. Why would you want to keep deleting characters any time you feel like playing something else?
It doesn't make much sense to complain about not wanting to make a new character when at the same time you try to argue that a character -for some unknown reason- needs to be deleted any time you want to play another one :classic_blink: 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 10/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Class Changing?

Feel like that ship already sailed. If it was a thing early in the games life, sure, but most people have become accustomed to just making an alt for the class they want to play. Lots of gem store items and such support this route. In addition to the herculean task of making it possible that would take from active development of other things. Frankly I just wish the makeover kit had number values on all of the sliders so I could make a 1to1 copy of a look I already accomplished as opposed to guessing with screenshots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

To me that means profession changes usually wouldn't make any sense to me. Changing my ranger to a mesmer would require her to have a different personality and different life experiences that lead her down that path instead of the one she did take, I might even want her to look a bit different so it would make more sense to me to make a new character than change the one I've got. (I even did that for elite specs - my existing engineer would hate everything about the holosmith, she likes solid, practical machines with no unnecessary flash and sparkle, so when I decided I wanted to play holosmith I made a new engineer who would like that.)

There's only been once when I did change some characters around, and then it was largely a coincidence that they could fit with new professions. One was a norn revenant who is a raven devotee, the reasoning for him being a revenant is because he's fascinated with The Mists and wants to learn more about them. But I wanted him to use Nevermore and just didn't like the revenant's staff skills, so I changed him to a necromancer. I also had an asuran necromancer who was going to be continuing the ambition of combining necromancy and golemancy, but even though that's been a theme since GW1 I just didn't feel like it worked with the game mechanics (also I'm not a big fan of necromancer minions), so he got a slightly re-written back story and became my holosmith. Then I made a new character to be a revenant.

Other than that I'd rather make a new character, because to me it just wouldn't make sense for them to swap round professions whenever I feel like playing something else.

Ok @Danikat.8537

I will reply to you, because you are one of the people in here that I've known for ages, and are usually very well educated, and polite.

Besides, you also usually show by your wording, a maturity that some don't have.

All that complement aside, I will explain it a different way.

I have a certain specific character that is mostly for roleplay purposes; and I must have deleted and restarted this character with that specific name well over 10-15 times, because I don't know what to do with it.

It's been a weaver, a Engineer (Holo and Mech), it's been a ranger, and think that maybe even a Rev once.

Because I keep restarting that character from scratch, the character never gets to reach even 1 year old, and so all its progress is lost.

You are a very smart person; and we both know it.

You can see why having the option to change the character to a different class would benefit both the player, and A-Net.

Point 2.

May I recall the name issue again.

I barely managed to secure a version of its name that was acceptable, because the original and variants were already taken.

I was lucky enough to manage to get both "i's" in its name to the alternative "í", and so still managed to create this character. 

Only barely.

This may not mean anything to a lot of people, but it means to me; and I'm sure a ton other people who like to Roleplay.

No more needs to be said to someone as intelligent as you are... and I know you are.

To conclude.

I do not want to keep restarting this, and other characters from scratch, and so with all factors mentioned; a class changer would make wonders for a lot of people.

You don't have to use it, but it's there; for those who do.

Always nice talking to you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

5 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I have a certain specific character that is mostly for roleplay purposes; and I must have deleted and restarted this character with that specific name well over 10-15 times, because I don't know what to do with it.

It's been a weaver, a Engineer (Holo and Mech), it's been a ranger, and think that maybe even a Rev once.

Because I keep restarting that character from scratch, the character never gets to reach even 1 year old, and so all its progress is lost.

So, again, the simple solution here is to stop deleting those characters because there's simply no need to do that. Nicknames can be similar, can vary with one letter or use special letters with accents.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So, again, the simple solution here is to stop deleting those characters because there's simply no need to do that. Nicknames can be similar, can vary with one letter or use special letters with accents.

Sob.

It's just not the same mate.

As I've mentioned, I barely managed to create this name with accents.

Changing the name to something else, it's just not the same my friend.

It may not bother you, but for a hardcore RP like me it does.

To RP'ers, the character's name is just as important as how the character looks.

A random example would be if you want to create Prince Rurick from GW1.

Say you try every possible way to type in Prince Rurick, and they are all taken.

So your alternative was to change the name to Prince Rarick or Rorick or Rirdick.

It's just not the same.

The accents in letters are already bothetsome as it is to a real Hardcore Role-player. 

• Confused 5

7 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

As I've mentioned, I barely managed to create this name with accents.

Changing the name to something else, it's just not the same my friend.

That's another thing, how can you know you "just barely" took the name? Either the name is free or it's not, I don't know how someone is able to recognize they "just barely" got it?

7 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It may not bother you, but for a hardcore RP like me it does.

To RP'ers, the character's name is just as important as how the character looks.

Ok and to the same RPers -that can't stand seeing a change letter or added accent to the nickname- swapping classes out of nowhere would be even more important, wouldn't it?

All that talk about rp, attention to detial (to the point where apparently "i" substituted with "í" is too much to handle?), loving their own character, but suddenly a whole class change is completely reasonable for those same players?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Ok, so there seem to be many coding issues involved in having a character change class.  What would be the negatives then of, for a gem store charge (perhaps even more than the cost of a new character slot), changing the character, back to level 1, with some caveats...  Basically, completely delete the existing character and allow us to keep the name and character creation age and unlocks (like bag slots and unique items).  I have several characters that I might like to play as a different class, but just as mules currently because of the bag slots on them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's another thing, how can you know you "just barely" took the name? Either the name is free or it's not, I don't know how someone is able to recognize they "just barely" got it?

Ok and to the same RPers -that can't stand seeing a change letter or added accent to the nickname- swapping classes out of nowhere would be even more important, wouldn't it?

The game changes all the time in many aspects.

Only recently you got the ability to use any weapons for that class; and more new weapons are coming.

As i said above in the Guardian example with double pistols... people may fancy a change to that without compromising on character progress.

• Confused 4

5 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

The game changes all the time in many aspects.

Only recently you got the ability to use any weapons for that class; and more new weapons are coming.

As i said above in the Guardian example with double pistols... people may fancy a change to that without compromising on character progress.

That doesn't respond to anything I wrote in the post you've just quoted though?

In this case the response would be the same I wrote a few posts before: stop deleting characters then because surely you can expect suddenly "wanting to play the previous class" so you'll use it again.
But the post you've just quoted has nothing to do with it. This one was asking how do you know "you just barely got it?" and then:

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

All that talk about rp, attention to detail (to the point where apparently "i" substituted with "í" is too much to handle?), loving their own character, but suddenly a whole class change is completely reasonable for those same players?

By what logic someone's sensitive to the one letter difference in the nickname (or even moreso the metnioned "i/í" spelling), but isn't to a whole class suddenly changing?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That doesn't respond to anything I wrote in the post you've just quoted though?

In this case the response would be the same I wrote a few posts before: stop deleting characters then because surely you can expect suddenly "wanting to play the previous class" so you'll use it again.
But the post you've just quoted has nothing to do with it. This one was asking how do you know "you just barely got it?" and then:

By what logic someone's sensitive to the one letter difference in the nickname (or even moreso the metnioned "i/í" spelling), but isn't to a whole class suddenly changing?

You probably missed the part when I mentioned that people don't want to have two versions of the same character, but just using different classes; and again, it's hard enough to get one RP character name, let alone two.

I suggest you read through the entire thread, as it seems that you missed a lot of important points that already answers to all the questions you've been asking.

• Confused 4

6 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You probably missed the part when I mentioned that people don't want to have two versions of the same character, but just using different classes; and again, it's hard enough to get one RP character name, let alone two.

I suggest you read through the entire thread, as it seems that you missed a lot of important points that already answers to all the questions you've been asking.

I did read through entire thread, no worries. 🙂
Why is having two copies of a character with changed class an issue if you know you might want to play the same character with a different class (when, as far as I understood, you opted out for deleting the old character and remaking the same one with a changed class anyways)?
And, again, this remained unanswered, can you finally address this:

27 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

All that talk about rp, attention to detial (to the point where apparently "i" substituted with "í" is too much to handle?), loving their own character, but suddenly a whole class change is completely reasonable for those same players?

How is it not ok to have a different letter or a different "dot" above "i" for rp reasons, but ok to keep changing class back and forth? How is that not an issue if a "wrong dot" is? 

I just see quite a lot of wiggle room around "what's considered ok and what isn't" as well as "how much details of my characters mean to me" but changing the whole class... does not?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1