Please improve the poor visibility of loot in PvE (for new accounts/players)

Lucy.3728

Hello

I created another account about 2-3 weeks ago. It really takes a long time to activate automatic looting in PVE.

For those who do not remember:

1. first you have to level up to level 80 so the XP you earn goes into a mastery path instead of level-up.
  2. Then you need a lot of XP to level up the paths
  3. and 19 Tyrian mastery points which are mostly only available through achievements (there are only a few insights).

All 3 of these take a lot of time.

In the meantime you have to loot manually. There is a visibility issue here. If anything is displayed at all, it's a very slight glint. This is very easy to miss, depending on the graphics settings and map. Sure in dark areas at night it is easier. Also, not every corpse is lootable and sometimes the corpse disappears immediately after death even though you can still loot. So there are hardly any good visible clues.

But there exists a system which makes everything well visible. In WvW. Loot lies there in the form of bags on the ground, they are labeled as such and are therefore very visible.

It would be really helpful to implement this in PvE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

In the options menu turn on AoE Loot on Interact and Autoloot: Autopickup. Those two are available to everyone and make it much simpler to get everything. The first one means you loot all targets (enemies, dropped chests/bags, boss chests etc.) in 900 radius around you all at the same time, so you don't have to find each individual target. The second one means all the loot goes into your inventory automatically instead of opening a second window for you to choose from.

With those on you just need to push F once at the end of a fight (or periodically throughout) and maybe do a quick circuit of the area or run closer to boss chests if you want to make sure you get them.

It's still an adjustment if you're used to all the loot appearing in your inventory without even having to think about it, but new players won't be and I think the default is closer to how other RPGs typically work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

In the options menu turn on AoE Loot on Interact and Autoloot: Autopickup.

Done that the first 10 minutes after creating the characters.
Doesn't have much to do with the problems I have with the visibility of left loot.

As a ranged type you aren't automatically in range of looting and not to forget the moving while in battle or image the labyrinth (I think I lose about 50% of loot there - but that's more due to movement than visibility).

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Done that the first 10 minutes after creating the characters.
Doesn't have much to do with the problems I have with the visibility of left loot.

As a ranged type you aren't automatically in range of looting and not to forget the moving while in battle or image the labyrinth (I think I lose about 50% of loot there - but that's more due to movement than visibility).

It's not really hard to notice the loot, I'd say your main issue with it is already being used to auto-looting mastery. New players didn't get used to what they didn't have.

AoE loot option does make it a lot more convenient in itself too -I think they did some decent "new player experience" type of patch at one point, including having aoe loot turned on by default. Did that get changed back to off again?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It's not really hard to notice the loot

Too me it is very hard.

I like how it is in wvw.

If several loot is on one place then even in pve there is a chest (wood or steel). Means that system exists, it just needs to be expanded for the single loot to bags.

Where is your problem helping people that have difficulties? When you don't have one then nobody is meant to have one?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

If I'm being honest, I sometimes miss the act of looting manually. It was a fun ritual of the early days' gameplay.

You know you can turn it off . 

If i did that i will certainly miss some loot and be haunted by the "supposed" heavy gold item drops that i never looted anyway 😭.

Edited by zeyeti.8347

14 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

You know you can turn it off . I

f i did that i will certainly miss some loot and be haunted by the "supposed" heavy gold item drops that i never looted anyway 😭.

My dilemma exactly 😂 Once I have the ability, I'm going to use it because effectiveness, even if I think it was more fun the old way.

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Too me it is very hard.

I like how it is in wvw.

If several loot is on one place then even in pve there is a chest (wood or steel). Means that system exists, it just needs to be expanded for the single loot to bags.

Where is your problem helping people that have difficulties? When you don't have one then nobody is meant to have one?

The chest doesn't appear when there's a lot of loot in one place, it's to indicate a rare or exotic item. Anet started doing that years ago because apparently some players weren't bothering to loot enemies because they assumed it would all be relatively worthless and then were missing out on good items. So they made them different to signal that this is something that's definitely worth picking up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's Anet's design that players engage with the game and earn the mastery for it.

If you think it is about to question the mastery, then you didn't understand the topic.
(In wvw you need to level up to autoloot as well.)

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

How is the glittering corpses hard to spot?

I don't know?

I just hardly see it. Sometimes not at all.
Today I ran back a path and could loot something I killed like 2 min before and didn't notice the "glittering" (there was no corpse).

I've 4 accounts and always had that problem.
#4 is the newest, 3 weeks old.
Rest has autoloot.

Although I don't know how that all is relevant.

Why do people always compare themselves when other people have problems? I do have problems to see that, you don't. Nice for you, but how does that help me?
I even posted the very easy solution.
Are you bothered by that solution?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

6 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Too me it is very hard.

I like how it is in wvw.

What problem? Kill a mob, run near it and press f to aoe loot. We can see particles floating from the dead mobs if there's loot to pick up. The bodies also don't disappear anywhere near as fast when there's loot in them. Finally when you're near them you have the pick up prompt and aoe pickup provides easy way to loot whole groups at once.

Also still unclear how you "turned on aoe pickup 10 minutes after creating a character" on your 2-3 week account, when there was a patch making that option turned on by default. Is it bugged (or did they change it back) and you really had to turn it on manually? Or are you just writing things at this point?

Spamming chests all over the place whenever a mob dies sounds awful to me and probably not just to me, which mostly likely is why it is how it currently is.

6 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

There are "difficulties" and then there is "lack of understanding". In this case it seems to be the latter.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The bodies also don't disappear anywhere near as fast when there's loot in them.

I have them regular disappear instantly after kill. Some stay, some disappear and I don't see any connection to loot. (Been playing the personal story up to chapter 8 atm) The ones that stay don't always have loot and the ones that disappear don't always have no loot.

Like I already said in my first posting.

Can you loot every killed mob?
I can't.
And I don't run back when I don't see if there is something to loot or not, just for a chance that there is which isn't even 50:50. But that depends on event, map and mob.

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

There are "difficulties" and then there is "lack of understanding". In this case it seems to be the latter.

I can assure you the latter is not the case.

Except for Danikat, whom I thanked, no-one posted anything I didn't know yet.

And what is your problem if there are sparkles or bags?

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I have them regular disappear instantly after kill. Some stay, some disappear and I don't see any connection to loot. (Been playing the personal story up to chapter 8 atm) The ones that stay don't always have loot and the ones that disappear don't always have no loot.

See, so as I said this is the case of lack of understanding. Yes, it is connected to the loot being or not being in a specific dead mob.

I can't.

Not every mob drops something, drop has a chance. If the mob is "empty", you obviously can't loot it because there's nothing to loot and those dead mobs disappear rather fast. If the mob drops something and disappears, it's because it drops something that rendered the chest signifying the loot instead. So it's no loot (mob disappears) or mob body with sparkles or some rare+ item in the form of chest which also makes the corpse disappear.

I can assure you the latter is not the case.

(...)

Except for Danikat, whom I thanked, no-one posted anything I didn't know yet.

Sorry, but what you just wrote in your post proves otherwise.

Also from the repeated lack of answer about your claim where you said "you turned it on within 10 minutes of making the character [on a new 2-3 week account]", it seems to be proving you just wrote whatever, regardless of it being true or not.

And what is your problem if there are sparkles or bags?

Sparkles are visible and yet non-invasive. Random creatures droping chests left and right with 5 copper junk item inside is the opposite of it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I never had a problem with it when I was a new player. The sparkles are, while not big and loud and flashy, still noticeable and easy to see. Actually, I was pretty happy with the way GW2 did it, compared to my previous game SWTOR, where all loot is marked with a giant light beam shooting into the sky from the dead mob. That was so annoyingly immersion-breaking that I tried to turn it off entirely, and of course could not. GW2's method is far easier on the eyes while still being clearly obvious.

As far as WvW bags go, I keep missing them because they're so small.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Qys.5937 said:

I didn't even know there was an auto-loot option until a few days ago when a guildy mentioned it. Running over to my kill pile and hitting the loot key is second nature to me from other MMO's. 

My other mmo is ffxiv, and there is no looting, you auto loot everything from kills or a chest when the boss dies. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Like I already said in my first posting.

I can't.
And I don't run back when I don't see if there is something to loot or not, just for a chance that there is which isn't even 50:50. But that depends on event, map and mob.

Just checking here: are you aware that enemies in story instances never drop loot?

If you've been focusing on the story that might be why you feel like you must be missing a lot of loot. Very early on they dropped the same items as anywhere else, but it was changed (in 2013 I think) because Anet found out there were a lot of places players were using story steps as infinite, private farms. So no, you can't loot every enemy you kill (even outside of story instances they don't all have drops) but if you can the body, or the dropped item will stick around for a while.

• Like 2