226 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 12-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 60+

I am really courius how old you Guys are, i feel Like the avarage age of the Players has increased more than the Game has in age increased. This could explain some Design Changes the company Made over the years. I feel Like he majority of the Players is in between the 30's and 40's. While at Release it felt more Like Mostplayers are in the 10's and 20's.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Avatar.3568 said:

I am really courius how old you Guys are, i feel Like the avarage age of the Players has increased more than the Game has in age increased. This could explain some Design Changes the company Made over the years. I feel Like he majority of the Players is in between the 30's and 40's. While at Release it felt more Like Mostplayers are in the 10's and 20's.

While I don't doubt that the majority of players probably do fit into the over 30 range now, I would question as to whether the results here reflect the demographic of the game itself or rather be more a reflection of the sort of users who frequent forums and respond to polls. It is also quite probably indicative of the MMO genre as a whole probably having a more mature audience than it used to having shrunk in popularity over the years.

TL;DR - Interesting poll, there are probably a number of different contributing factors to the end result beyond just GW2 and its development choices.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Avatar.3568 said:

I have been playing this game since it came out in 2012 and played the original Guild Wars before that. I was 20 when Guild Wars 2 came out. So I feel like a lot of us have aged with the game, which is why a bulk of the player base is now a little older, between 30 and 40 years old, whereas we were in our 20s upon release. 

Edited by Tom.8029
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been here for 11 years ever since the open-beta and now I am 28 years old! 

I remember carrying the Collector's edition box from the supermarket store cuz I pre-ordered the game aswell, being 17, overjoyed and beyond to play one of the greatest game of my gaming life, as  GW1 had a huge impact of my teenager years back then too.

Edited by TwistedAlga.4235
  • Like 1

I don't have time to find a source now but I've heard that for years now the average age of gamers generally has been about 30-35. It's been a long time since it was seen as something strictly or mainly for children.

It feels a bit weird to realise I'm now heading out the upper end of that, I'm 38, I still don't feel like an adult. Although for some reason what felt really weird was realising my main GW2 character turned 30 this year (I semi-randomly decided she was 19 when I created her).

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 4

That's interesting so far. Not really an accurate overview since not many have voted yet - and probably a lot of the total playerbase are not even checking the forums. (And I guess amongst those might be more younger people. Similar with people that got into the game through Steam.)

But I always thought of the game targeted more at an older playerbase. Though it sells as "for everyone" (including younger people). I'm also in the 30-40 range. Bought GW1 at release though I never really played it until lately when I tried to do older stuff there. That is why the name "Guild Wars" had my attention when GW2 got released and I immediately liked the different feeling compared to GW1. (Gameplay-wise - the movement, jumping and combat system.)

I know a lot - from stuff mentioned on the forums - people by name here where I remember that they claim to have played GW1 as well - a lot of hardcore longterm-fans here. And that is usually the 30-40 playerbase I guess. When internet still slower and not that widespread as nowadays ... back then. Most with the GW1 history probably  young adults at the 18-22 or so ... when GW1 got released.

I had the collector's edition (with some headphones and artbook) of GW1. Never really played it. (Was not into looking for groups and it was harder solo with henchman and the first missions trashed me and I did not really like the game play and that the missions took long.) Stopped early. GW2 was ... last open beta I think. Then purchasing normal edition and playing from headstart until end 2013. For personal reasons not played from then until mid 2019. Since then catching up on every minor stuff. (A ton of skins to collect and even if I had played without break since release the legendaries might still be a long-term farming goal for me.)

HoT+PoF bundle got bought on 50 percent discount I think ... the deluxe. When they started to bundle both. The living world that I did not get for free since I didn't play at the original relase: bought on sales. EoD and SotO I got the ultimate edition now slowly buying the older deluxe upgrades every now and then. (Have bought core now. Still HoT left since the HoT+PoF deluxe bundle only gave PoF deluxe.) Not buying that many gems now anymore. I used to buy 4k twice a year or so. With them planning expansions regularly I guess it will be the ultimate edition once per year and that is enough. I do not need skins that much and with the bank tabs and stuff ... still not maxed bit I feel like having enough and no pressure to max that remaining stuff fast.

Is this physically or mentally? 🙂 

Not going to say my age, but.... I am in the 51 to 60 range, but will be in the last category next year. 🙂

Starting making characters when the game released. Started playing the game a year later when I upgraded computers. I could generate characters but it hung trying to get to the beginner areas. Still get credit for the creation date for annual gifts though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

This year I celebrated the 11th anniversary of turning 25.

My mum always used to say she's "21 and a bit" and just said it was a bigger 'bit' each year.

She stopped saying that (at least around me) when I turned 21, I think at that point it could sound a bit weird.

Just now, Danikat.8537 said:

My mum always used to say she's "21 and a bit" and just said it was a bigger 'bit' each year.

She stopped saying that (at least around me) when I turned 21, I think at that point it could sound a bit weird.

Perhaps. In my case its simply because I don't feel any older than when I was 25. Though to be honest I'm in better shape now than I was then...

4 hours ago, Assolador.3598 said:

also now I know why people cant do ez pve content

That was one of my intentions with the Poll, No kittentalk to Players that are struggling with the Game, its Not easy to understand the Game and what goes wrong for Most Players.

5 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

That's interesting so far. Not really an accurate overview since not many have voted yet - and probably a lot of the total playerbase are not even checking the forums. (And I guess amongst those might be more younger people. Similar with people that got into the game through Steam.)

But I always thought of the game targeted more at an older playerbase. Though it sells as "for everyone" (including younger people). I'm also in the 30-40 range. Bought GW1 at release though I never really played it until lately when I tried to do older stuff there. That is why the name "Guild Wars" had my attention when GW2 got released and I immediately liked the different feeling compared to GW1. (Gameplay-wise - the movement, jumping and combat system.

I am aware that this will Not Show the real Population of guildwars, but it still Shows a demographic that i felt when i See Open world Gamers.

I want to Unterstand the decission making after hot Release.

With the PoF Release, anet dropped esports and went in General a way more Casual approge to the Game. With the esport dropp, the Playerbase in PvP dropped instantly by half and a Lot of Young Players left the Game. 

Since then, i feel Like i am Meeting way more "older" people, that are less aware of using the Combat and as a result for that then Content went a Lot easier (Just remember hot Release, where powercreep was way less compared to yet)

• Confused 2