I just watched blizhcon 2023 and, I thought we could help out their team through this discussion

zengara.8301

So we all know this specific company likes to "borrow ideas", since they are not that very good at making stuff up themselves. Personally I do like how they decided to take the Skyscale and wizards vault completely. They are working on "respecting your time" and other stuff, like fractals, which is great. 

But I wanted to give them an easier time, by letting them just read through the forums discussions, instead of  playing the entire game, or being on the front page of Gw2 all the time, waiting for new stuff to pop up-

Personally I would love to see underwater combat, or like when you move behind a wall, an arrow don't hit you. That would be cool. Any other ideas would be appreciated

-Sincerely, not a Blizzhurd employee

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11

Dynamic Flying in WoW closer to our Griffon than Skyscale.

If you were referring to the Trading Post in WoW, that one is older than the Wizard's Toilet.

I don't see anything comparable to Fractals in the next WoW expansion. If you were thinking of Delves, those are closer to the mini dungeons in Elden Ring. They even come with fog gates!

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Dynamic Flying in WoW closer to our Griffon than Skyscale.

If you were referring to the Trading Post in WoW, that one is older than the Wizard's Toilet.

I don't see anything comparable to Fractals in the next WoW expansion. If you were thinking of Delves, those are closer to the mini dungeons in Elden Ring. They even come with fog gates!

Wow already has mythic+ which is just a better version of fractals just because its scales infinitly, and if they gonna do delves right its just gonna be what some people were asking in gw2 for years..(solo end game content) so again when the "usual forum expert" would say "just solo fractals or remove your gear" meanwhile wow might just deliver what people actually want

Edited by soul.9651

2 hours ago, Hadi.2430 said:

Are we going to ignore that blizzard stole the wizard tower idea for their new expansion?

WoW got a whole floating town/city in both WotLK and Legion. And the Mage Tower was originally a Legion feature.

Unless you are referring to something else, I don't see how Blizzard somehow "stole" something here.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 11/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

WoW got a whole floating town/city in both WotLK and Legion. And the Mage Tower was originally a Legion feature.

Unless you are referring to something else, I don't see how Blizzard somehow "stole" something here.

Also, if they added a floating city (not a new idea), the Wizards Tower setting was only revealed for GW2 recently. I doubt Blizzard made a whole expac in last 4-5 months

Just like SoTo mirrors concepts from Tears of The Kingdom such as the sky islands and the Nayos realm being similar in look to the underground world (just not dark), but they wouldn’t have known that through development. Sometimes things just coincide 

Most fantasy tropes in games aren't original ideas these days anyway. And certainly not to the point you could call plagiarism.

It's also to be expected that developers will gravitate to the same types of mechanics when it comes to monetization and engagement generation. You could argue that every game with a "season pass" type model is copying, or even DLC in general is somehow copying the OG horse armour from Oblivion, which I'm not even sure if that was the first true "DLC" or not, but was certainly credited with starting the trend for microtransactions.

You have to remember that these people have often worked in various companies over the years and they are run like any other business, with trends and developments in the market being adopted across the industry. Developers will also know talk to each other on both personal and professional levels.

Videogames aren't developed in a vacuum to be judged solely on their originality.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Also, if they added a floating city (not a new idea), the Wizards Tower setting was only revealed for GW2 recently. I doubt Blizzard made a whole expac in last 4-5 months

Just like SoTo mirrors concepts from Tears of The Kingdom such as the sky islands and the Nayos realm being similar in look to the underground world (just not dark), but they wouldn’t have known that through development. Sometimes things just coincide 

I remember someone complaining that the first Avatar movie copied the idea of floating islands from GW1. Someone found an artists who had done paintings of floating islands in the 70's and said GW1 must have copied them and then the conversation went quiet. 😄

Also I thought Nayos looks a bit like the Realm of Torment from GW1 and I doubt even that is intentional. I suspect when artists start thinking about a terrifying, demonic alien environment that still looks like somewhere organic beings could live they tend to end up thinking along similar lines.

19 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Most fantasy tropes in games aren't original ideas these days anyway. And certainly not to the point you could call plagiarism.

It's also to be expected that developers will gravitate to the same types of mechanics when it comes to monetization and engagement generation. You could argue that every game with a "season pass" type model is copying, or even DLC in general is somehow copying the OG horse armour from Oblivion, which I'm not even sure if that was the first true "DLC" or not, but was certainly credited with starting the trend for microtransactions.

You have to remember that these people have often worked in various companies over the years and they are run like any other business, with trends and developments in the market being adopted across the industry. Developers will also know talk to each other on both personal and professional levels.

Videogames aren't developed in a vacuum to be judged solely on their originality.

Oblivion wasn't the first game with microtransactions but it was the first one to use that name for them, and was widely publicised because I think some big companies, including console manufacturers were promoting DLC and microtransactions as the next big thing in gaming.

The oldest game I remember having what would today be called DLC or microtransactions (as opposed to boxed or downloadable expansion packs) was Creatures 3, in 2001. In retrospect the business model for that game was ahead of it's time: there was a free-to-play version (Docking Station) which also worked as an expansion to the main game, and several small download-only creature and object packs, which worked with both the paid and free versions. There might well be older ones though which I either didn't play or didn't know had DLC.

On 11/8/2023 at 3:14 AM, Hadi.2430 said:

Are we going to ignore that blizzard stole the wizard tower idea for their new expansion?

Dalaran was the mage city floating up in the clouds, that was also moved from one location to there, and was especially prominent in WotLK.   It pre-dates GW2.

Edited by Farohna.6247
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Oblivion wasn't the first game with microtransactions but it was the first one to use that name for them, and was widely publicised because I think some big companies, including console manufacturers were promoting DLC and microtransactions as the next big thing in gaming.

And oh how right they were.

22 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The oldest game I remember having what would today be called DLC or microtransactions (as opposed to boxed or downloadable expansion packs) was Creatures 3, in 2001. In retrospect the business model for that game was ahead of it's time: there was a free-to-play version (Docking Station) which also worked as an expansion to the main game, and several small download-only creature and object packs, which worked with both the paid and free versions. There might well be older ones though which I either didn't play or didn't know had DLC.

Oh man now that has brought back a memory of the Creatures games I had completely forgotten about. I think I had either the first or second one, I had no idea how it worked to be honest, such a weird vibe.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:00 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Basically, Blizzard (as any other game studion worth their name) is observing what other studios do, and which of those ideas that appeared in other games might be useful, and tries to incorporate them in their game. If it works, good for them.

I was trolling, sure. But the "Borrow something, and make it better" quote. I agree on. The issue is they are just borrowing stuff, and not improving on it at all o.o Everything they "borrowed", at best was barely a 1:1 borrow, at worst was far worse. The "improving on it" part is insanely important. But they are completely skipping that part, and just yeeting everything as quick as they can

• Confused 1