Staff Warriors Bring Frontline Support to the Heat of the Battle

Rubi Bayer.8493

With that alleged loss of damage, I'm really not missing out on anything that could have been worthwhile to me.

It was fun using during the public bug testing, but if it does even less damage than other Warrior weapons, staying on Dagger/Dagger seems more enticing to me.

With every update they deliver, NOT paying for SotO feels more and more like the right decision to me.

• Like 1

Line Breaker only being 1 unblockable stack seems a bit underwhelming.

Granting 5 people 3 stacks might have had the potential to be too much, but just one isn't gonna be meaningful when trying to aid allies offensively.
Barely even reactable for some builds to try and land a key skill with.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:07 AM, Max Out.5732 said:

the 4th skill "pull" could be bigger. 600 is a joke...

Especially given that Warriors get pulled off the walls during sieges in WvW, and we get a measly 600 range on ours, when we already have an average array of ranged (at best) compared to many other classes.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 3:11 PM, SevenFives.2734 said:

Jesus Christ, I was right. They leveraged all of staff's real healing onto the F1 / Primal Burst skills.

Bladesworn (the thing that currently gives Alacrity) Still has 2 tradeoffs for no reason. And doesn't have an F1 skill fyi.

I'm done with this game. 

Anyone notice if this has been rectified?

Edited by Crimthan.9308

18 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Rather weak of them to remove almost all the damage from Staff, I was looking forward to using it for bruiser builds to compete against all the stacked specs in WvW.

Are you SERIOUS????  Warrior is primarily an offense character.  Staff mostly healing does not = Warrior.  
If anything, nerf some of the healing...

• Like 1

Made a Separate Thread for this. But in an effort to get some eyeballs on this while-it-matters(tm) I'm gonna post it over here as well. So feel free to delete either if one is in the more correct place. :)

| I want to Preface this with: Warrior Staff is Mostly Great! Thank you for taking feedback on it!! |

But:

Explanation: Warrior Staff 3, aka. "Targeted Greatsword 5 Rush" used to have it's functionality split between "damaging / weakening" opponents if you targeted an enemy AND Healing / Granting Allies 3 stacks of "Ublockable" packet damage and the user 1 stack of said "Ublockable" packet damage. -- Presumably to set up for the Staff 4 which is a cc/pull.

Now, (I'm guessing because ANet combined the functionality of both the offensive+defensive versions, but made the offensive portion trigger 2nd,) if you "hit" an enemy with the aoe at all -- aka. Basically if you use the skill in combat, even though the move no longer does damage to enemies it will apply the Unblockable buff to the user, which will be immediately consumed by the Weakness Application.

You can still "Jank It" by targeting off in space so that you don't hit any enemies with the 360 aoe end "roar" in order to heal yourself/allies/ensure you get your 1 stack UB buff. But if the skill is objectively better to use by asking your allies to "run away from the fight you're currently engaged in" imo that doesn't really lean into the "offensive nature of Warrior as a support" as they described it. It's entirely possible that only the Weakness is "supposed to be unblockable" now. But that feel antithetical to how the weapon was originally designed/described as well as to the GIANT FLASHING AOE they added for your enemy to add some counter-play to the Staff 4 that cc's/pulls so there would be some counterplay to what was presumably an unblockable aoe pull.

I was (c)hoping that this bug as shown on their preview stream or any of the existing Bladesworn bugs that I had detailed before got fixed before this week's release. But I just just thought I'd make a post on this really quickly explaining this interaction while there are some eyes on the game, and pleading with ANet to Reverse this sequence. Please make the Offensive(Weakness) portion apply FIRST and then the Defensive(Heal/Unblockable Buff) portion.

Thanks!!! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/17/2024 at 1:08 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

bladesworn can't access burst and his dragon slashes cannot replace it's functionality (healing allies

I feel like anet have long term shot themselves in the foot with this specc everyone knows this should have been monk, they know it should have been monk

i Feel like with EoD elites they invested entirely on shock factor and not functionality, it was all about big effects and what will generate hype from a teaser video

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 9:22 PM, Puck.3697 said:

I feel like anet have long term shot themselves in the foot with this specc everyone knows this should have been monk, they know it should have been monk

i Feel like with EoD elites they invested entirely on shock factor and not functionality, it was all about big effects and what will generate hype from a teaser video

thats what happens when you have 0 visions for what the class/skill/spec is supposed to do.

after HoT, all they do is just putting all the random ideas together, without thinking what the class needs/should be played

like they said on stream, they don't have a vision for berserker...everything is just random..just the same when they made new elite specs, they never thought about the consequences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

after HoT, all they do is just putting all the random ideas together, without thinking what the class needs/should be played

Once upon a time, Spellbreaker was well-designed though.

But then they decided later that boon rip should not be a be able to put a decent dent into their beloved boon spam.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

hats what happens when you have 0 visions for what the class/skill/spec is supposed to do.

Don’t think it’s a case of lack of vision, i think it’s a case of this mindset that everyone must be able to do everything has just taken priority. 

they’ve reached a point where it doesn’t seem to matter how, but only the fact they can do it, 

maybe it’s cool that all 9 professions can output every boon, tank heal and dps, but imho it’s made things bland and neutered design, 

they fought meta building so hard, it killed the fun while meta never faded even slightly the moment you allow everyone to output every boon, the next metas simply how many boons can 1 build cover. 

fun should be the priority in design, people are gonna min max and meta regardless of the decisions made, 

I enjoy berserker tbh, but we should have had monk, weapons master should play more of a role in warriors core

Is there entire concept of the idea of a weapons master is swapping weapons 5 secs faster?  Why no 3rd weapon swap, why no stances, I think it’d be awesome we had stances which changed the way we attack in combat to lead to weapon based combo attacks.

Edited by Puck.3697
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

Once upon a time, Spellbreaker was well-designed though.

But then they decided later that boon rip should not be a be able to put a decent dent into their beloved boon spam.

Well. Spellbreaker traits and mechanics were well designed. I don't think more than maybe two of the meditations were ever worth anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Well. Spellbreaker traits and mechanics were well designed. I don't think more than maybe two of the meditations were ever worth anything.

I use Natural Healing from time to time.

Featherfoot Grace is one of my two stun breaks I have on the bar a lot of the time.

Winds of Disenchantment used to be good for sPvP and WvW.

Break Enchantment is neat to use against the occasional enemy with boon in PvE.

The only ones I I can't remember ever having had use for are Sight beyond Sight and Imminent Threat.

Edited by Fueki.4753

45 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I use Natural Healing from time to time.

Featherfoot Grace is one of my two stun breaks I have on the bar a lot of the time.

Winds of Disenchantment used to be good for sPvP and WvW.

Break Enchantment is neat to use against the occasional enemy with boon in PvE.

The only ones I I can't remember ever having had use for are Sight beyond Sight and Imminent Threat.

You're pretty much the first person I've seen saying they use the heal that strips all your boons. Mending has a shorter cooldown that compensates for the lower base healing and while it doesn't clear a full condition stack, it still does a pretty good job.

I can kinda see Featherfoot Grace, but it's in a bit of a narrow space between Shake it Off clearing conditions, including for allies, and Balanced Stance providing stability to protect against restunning in addition to swiftness. Maybe there's a niche where you'd want the resistance and superspeed specifically, maybe you know the enemy won't chain CCs but will chain snares, but my gut feeling is that the condi clear and stability (especially the latter if you need two stunbreaks in the first place) will be worth more in most situations. Maybe it's not worthless, but I wouldn't be sad to see it reworked into something else entirely.

WoD and Break Enchantment were the ones I was thinking of.

After playing staff in WvW, here is some feedback:

• Autoattack
    • Damage is pretty good, please no nerfs
  • Valiant Leap
    • Good mobility, ok boons and heal
    • I was thinking that maybe blast finisher would be better/more useful instead of leap finisher
  • Line Breaker
    • Really good as mobility skill but the boon and heal application could be improved
    • Maybe apply these boons instantly upon finishing the mobility part (yes, even if I target myself and proc it instantly without the mobility part) rather than additively doing animation of rising arm up and then provide boons and heal
  • Snap Pull
    • The main issue with this skill is its vertical hitbox - if there is even slight terrain elevation, the pull simply doesn't work
    • The pull range is fine, I also suggest changing all other pulls in game to this range and adding visible indicators of incoming pull (for competetive modes)
  • Bullet Catcher
    • Great skill, really nice utility

Bugs I noticed/am aware of:

• 3rd autoattack hits targets far away (how to reproduce: attack e.g. structure or npc and target distant enemy - that enemy will get hit by the 3rd autoattack)
  • Line Breaker charge effect sometimes persists after swapping weapons
  • Line Breaker only provides 1 stack of unblockable instead of 3 stacks (and if weakness is being applied on enemy, that one unblockable stack gets immediately stripped)
  • Snap Pull's pull effect does not work if there is even slight elevation between character and target
  • Bullet Catcher visually stops animation (and even casting bar disappears) but the block is still happening as long as I don't use any other skill with cast time
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

You're pretty much the first person I've seen saying they use the heal that strips all your boons. Mending has a shorter cooldown that compensates for the lower base healing and while it doesn't clear a full condition stack, it still does a pretty good job.

I like my utility bar to be as yellow as possible on Warrior, so I rarely (if ever) use Mending, To the Limit! or Defiant Stance.

Also, I don't mind losing the few stacks of Might I build up. I don't care about them too much in the first place.

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I can kinda see Featherfoot Grace, but it's in a bit of a narrow space between Shake it Off clearing conditions, including for allies, and Balanced Stance providing stability to protect against restunning in addition to swiftness. Maybe there's a niche where you'd want the resistance and superspeed specifically, maybe you know the enemy won't chain CCs but will chain snares, but my gut feeling is that the condi clear and stability (especially the latter if you need two stunbreaks in the first place) will be worth more in most situations. Maybe it's not worthless, but I wouldn't be sad to see it reworked into something else entirely.

I don't even know why, but I rarely think about slotting Shake it Off!. Shouts in general routinely escape my thoughts.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 3/3/2024 at 4:25 PM, Puck.3697 said:

Don’t think it’s a case of lack of vision, i think it’s a case of this mindset that everyone must be able to do everything has just taken priority. 
.... weapons master should play more of a role in warriors core
1. Is there entire concept of the idea of a weapons master is swapping weapons 5 secs faster?  [without being stuck in one trait line]
2. Why no 3rd weapon swap,
3. Why no stances, I think it’d be awesome we had stances which changed the way we attack in combat to lead to weapon based combo attacks.

THIS ^ is simple genius.  This would totally give Warrior a greater identity.  Especially 3rd weapon swap!
Warrior could go from 2H, to dual wield, to ranged. That and augment stances (actual stances, not just used as a temp skill) that would shift the attack modes of weapons.  Both of these make total sense for someone whose profession is being in warfare.
These are what has been missing for the warrior,- it gives a solid vision and stronger theme for warrior, and would solve some of the issues warriors have been dealing with for ~ 10 years.

Edited by Crimthan.9308
  • Confused 1