Staff Warriors Bring Frontline Support to the Heat of the Battle

Rubi Bayer.8493

22 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

That and the Roar from Staff 5's flipover skill could itself be a blast finisher.

Watch them turn that roar into a projectile, just because.

If Tremor's shock wave can be a projectile finisher, any kind of sound-based ability can be a projectile finisher as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

They should just kill Vigorous Shouts as a trait, and focus on healing through weapon skills and class mechanics like every other class in the game that isn't being brutally trait and utility skill taxed just to apply the most basic functionality of a healer.

Both is possible. Most of the stronger healers use a combination of weapon skills, utility skills, and mechanics for healing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

If F1 is a blast finisher though then with the new Heightened Focus we'd refresh it. I can see F1 being the only blast in that case. There could be a single skill on the bar, say skill 3, that is a blast finisher and has ammo. Thematically I can see it as planting the butt of the staff into the ground like the old Banner skill 5.

That and the Roar from Staff 5's flipover skill could itself be a blast finisher.

I hope, that would breathe some fresh air in a build ive not played much. And it comes from someone who doesnt rly enjoy healer warr. But if its core, im all in.

• Like 2

haha still, warrior get the least interesting skills among new weapons or just support weapons

"Hey, you get more healing and might"

like warrior need more aoe healing and might instead of actual support utilities

staff 2 is just another FGJ

healing is weak and unimportant, warrior needs team mitigation that mitigates damage and mechanics

no amount of healing will help if your team takes all the damage in the world, you just gonna be over-healing and wasting it like it already does

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lighter.5631 said:

haha still, warrior get the least interesting skills among new weapons or just support weapons

"Hey, you get more healing and might"

like warrior need more aoe healing and might instead of actual support utilities

staff 2 is just another FGJ

healing is weak and unimportant, warrior needs team mitigation that mitigates damage and mechanics

no amount of healing will help if your team takes all the damage in the world, you just gonna be over-healing and wasting it like it already does

I mean might as well take the piece of meat we are thrown. It is quite evident that they will never listen to feedback and odds are that during the beta, unless a game-breaking bug exists, they will not change a single skill in staff. As they did not do for BsW for more than a year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Then start raising hell and bring attention to it.

I dated a dev a few years ago, and even then couldn't convince 'em to try playing a warrior... so I'm probably not the best person for the job.  But, you and everyone else have my support and blue hearts.

Above all else, I really want the staff to be fun to play... too many of the warrior's weapons aren't, or require DW/Quickness or CD reduction to become enjoyable.

~EpWa

• Haha 3

So I read the update on mesmer rifle and revenant scepter.

Rifle will provide on skill 3 via ranged attack might and fury via an orb that can be detonated to provide healing. On skill 5 will provide a ranged barrier and resistance and if used again an additional portal. All for to a class that already has a portals and already provides a lot of buffs and is a good support.

Scepter skill 1 auto attack chain will provide might on 2nd strike (probably on 120 or 180 arc) and on 3rd strike a 360 degree barrier. Scepter skill 2 will do DoT to enemy and provide barrier to allies. Scepter skill 3 (ranged) will provide (if targeting ally) via channeling attack might to target plus allies around revenant and once full charged additional barrier to target and allies as you will shadowstep  to target. So a class with good healing (e.g. in wvw used a lot) will now also provide a lot of barrier on a freaking auto attack (sic!). Even the attacks look way cool!

And then we compare it to warrior staff...

Staff skill 5 (longest cd) Bullet Catcher will block (not known if ranged or all attacks and not known if personal block or AoE block) attacks and then have an optional heal if skill 5 pressed again that will heal (not known if 360 and on what range) allies for each blocked incoming attack ("up to a reasonable amount"). What if 0 attacks where blocked? Will it heal at all?

Staff skill 2 (so probably short cd) Valiant Leap - we jump into battle and provide some healing and unknown offensive boons to allies in close range.

All my warrior staff hype is gone... Again no love for warrior...

Edited by Max Out.5732
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

You guys think "Bullet Catcher" gonna be just a personal block for the Warrior or a huge frontal shield that has projectile hate?

I would not be surprised, if it's only going to protect the Warrior.

7 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

why not both? 

Because Warrior, that's why.

You may think that sounds stupid, but it perfectly sums up Warrior's general treatment since at least the release of HoT.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

Unless it's the rev staff 3 animation that we saw that acts as the Bullet Catcher (therefore a skill which blocks only for the warrior), I imagine that as long as you stand in front of your allies you can block for them, by proxy of positioning. 

What I was thinking tho was a force field type of skill which blocks for all allies (like DH and Holo) and maybe this can have superior synergy with shield master. But if it's projectile destruction and not any "blocking" is involved, it's a missed opportunity and mediocre skill. 

For solo, might as well run shield mastery with pistol and enjoy doing the same while moving and reloading dragon's roar. 

From a wvw perspective as always.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Leap into action, block all the things, and heal your allies!

Staff will be playable alongside the new weapons for every profession as part of the Expanded Weapon Proficiency beta event starting on November 28 at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time (UTC-8).

ade39Warrior-Staff-blog.jpg

Please make sup warrior good so we actually have a real support build and not just a gimmicky shout gimmick.

• Like 1

"Despite them being arrows, the actual act of placing these on the ground is unblockable, so don’t worry about those pesky projectile blockers getting in your way" and "the second skill in the set, Essence of Animated Sand. When it detonates, enchanted sand is spread over an area, immediately granting barrier to allies in the vicinity and crippling enemies. When detonating other arrows, it causes them to grant a small amount of barrier on initial detonation as well, regardless of their original effect. You could either layer all the arrows in a single spot to give out large amounts of barrier in a small area or spread them out for maximum coverage".

So again other classes get detailed explanation of how the new weapon/skills work and another class can grant barrier.

Compare that to warrior - "Valiant Leap causes the warrior to leap to the target location, healing and granting offensive boons to nearby allies upon arrival". What offensive boons? Why not Barrier like already confirmed for revenant, mesmer, elementalist and engineer?

It kinda feels like its done like this:

Dev1: The new mechanics and weapons are cool, so what will the warrior do?

Dev2: Again forgot about warrior. Every. Single. Time. Dang it, just give him staff with some healing and offensive boons"

Dev1: What boons?

Dev2: Anything, no one plays warrior anyway...

Edited by Max Out.5732
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Max Out.5732 said:

So again other classes get detailed explanation of how the new weapon/skills work and another class can grant barrier.

Support engineer already had barrier - is somewhat dependent on it, even. Shortbow's barrier is probably just replacing mace barrier (when they can't have both because engineer doesn't have weaponswap - a support weapon that replaces mace and doesn't grant barrier would probably be DOA).

I think they are giving more detail to weapons that have gimmicks because they need to explain the gimmick. Warrior staff and mesmer rifle seem to be based more on individual skills, making it hard to judge them when the previews are only discussing two skills per weapon (and maybe the autoattack) regardless of how many skills the weapon actually has. We won't know how staff actually functions until the beta. It does seem that they've been more conservative with it than other weapons, but if it's a case of 'no frills but functional', that wouldn't be a bad thing.

And if it's not functional, that's a bad thing almost regardless of what other professions received.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

conservative

Just call Warrior Staff's design by what it actually is.

uncreative

an afterthought

passionless

At least they showed it early, so people, who still don't know better, can stop hoping for something great.

6 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

if it's a case of 'no frills but functional', that wouldn't be a bad thing.

It'd be the usual treatment of Warrior, which automatically means it's bad.

They need to start treating Warrior as equal to the other professions, instead of keeping it worse on purpose.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

They need to start treating Warrior as equal to the other professions, instead of keeping it worse on purpose.

Exactly!

The only good change that is currently incoming is the buff mainly to berserker (PvE only) incoming on 27th of November. Yet still warrior will not have a proper support/healing build...

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

I saw engineers got shortbow. There's no way staff will be that bad 😂

Di you see/read how much barrier/boons/conditions it will grant via arrow synergy? It will be way better then staff.

And come on... Guardian gets double pistol but the warrior who specializes in warfare cant...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Max Out.5732 said:

Di you see/read how much barrier/boons/conditions it will grant via arrow synergy? It will be way better then staff.

And come on... Guardian gets double pistol but the warrior who specializes in warfare cant...

Oh man. I'll always have that regret in my heart that we never got mainhand pistol 😞

But no way shortbow going to outdo staff. There's no way!

• Thanks 1