Poll- Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?

Lucius.2140

Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but is impossible.
    • No.
  2. 2. Will you or someone you know will buy and play a port of GW2 to consoles?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Not sure.

• Lucius.2140 changed the title to Poll- Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?
24 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The more recent topic has answers that are plainly subjective.

The only point is the controller and that does't seems to be a big problem except for chatt. Console players don't link all with a key so most of people inconveniences are because they think as PC gamers.

A discutible one is the Steam release, but that was releasing a product in a market that it was alredy part for around 10 years and basically as it was, no major modification except the LS1 inclussion.

Also, i get the feeling that you sent me to the titles because you think it doesn't deserve a new one, if that is the case just ignore my post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

19 minutes ago, Lucius.2140 said:

The more recent topic has answers that are plainly subjective.

The only point is the controller and that does't seems to be a big problem except for chatt. Console players don't link all with a key so most of people inconveniences are because they think as PC gamers.

A discutible one is the Steam release, but that was releasing a product in a market that it was alredy part for around 10 years and basically as it was, no major modification except the LS1 inclussion.

Also, i get the feeling that you sent me to the titles because you think it doesn't deserve a new one, if that is the case just ignore my post.

Your topic also asks for plainly subjective answers though. Might as well roll the dice on the answer because nobody really knows the answer to your questions.
Probably not worth it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lucius.2140 said:

Snip

Snip

Yea because no pc player ever use shift, ctrl and alt as key modifiers for their skill buttons.

Edit

Is it clearer with the snips?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, bossdonut.1938 said:

i think this game has too much buttons for console. i try it with the controller on steam and its just weird. ESO does it well but i would guess they designed it for console on purpose.

have u played ff14? theres way more button, also steam decck players do play it, another one is the guy that cleared ht cm with a controller, so yes, it is possible, people votting no has absolutely no idea what the kitten theyre talking about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Assolador.3598 said:

have u played ff14? theres way more button, also steam decck players do play it, another one is the guy that cleared ht cm with a controller, so yes, it is possible, people votting no has absolutely no idea what the kitten theyre talking about

People dont vote no becouse its to many buttons for a controler tho.

the questions are

A do you think it benefit the game?

B will you or someone you know buy it?

and a no is a good answer for both of those questions.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Your topic also asks for plainly subjective answers though. Might as well roll the dice on the answer because nobody really knows the answer to your questions.
Probably not worth it.

Yeah it is subjective and not the best place to ask, but kinda picked my curiosity.

1 hour ago, Assolador.3598 said:

what

People vote "no" because they think is a waste of resources and probably also some PC gaming elitism in some cases.

From my perspective a leveled graphic version could be very well sold to a relatively good pool of audience.

Someone here wrote GW2 isnt an AAA game, but it is considered one and was released as one and prized as one. Anet itself isnt a small studio, theres smaller studios doing AAA games and they consider themself an studio that makes AAA games, also they pay well...

An AAA game, for my understanding, usually has around 1MM unit sold per console (Xbox and PS5). Even if you think of a smaller release, around 500 k in both combined we are talking about a huge increase in sales if they put all Dragon Saga content in around 60-80 dollars (USA) (the normal pricing).

For  60 dollars per copy of the game sold, that means around 30 million dollars, 38 billion KRW, that itself is around twice what GW2 makes per quarter, is a semestre of revenue.

And the production cost could be limited since a lot of it is alredy done.

I have been reading comparisons between FF14, ESO and this game and ofc they make more money, they move around 3 gaming populations. It means more complications with releases and so, but also more revenue and budget (which means more content).

Edited by Lucius.2140
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Assolador.3598 said:

yes i have FF14. i try to play it on controller but i have no clue what is going on with that.

1 hour ago, Lucius.2140 said:

Yeah it is subjective and not the best place to ask, but kinda picked my curiosity.

It depends on what you mean by "good for the game." It would be good for the business to get more people in to do the existing content, but the profitability vs resource cost wouldn't be something anyone can guess.

The overall health of the game wouldn't change. They would need to create more content for any growth as far as that's concerned. Unfortunately Soto seems to be a hard lean-in to focusing on simplistic watered down open world content vs doing anything that every other game is doing that drives interest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeePlease.3082 said:

It depends on what you mean by "good for the game." It would be good for the business to get more people in to do the existing content, but the profitability vs resource cost wouldn't be something anyone can guess.

The overall health of the game wouldn't change. They would need to create more content for any growth as far as that's concerned. Unfortunately Soto seems to be a hard lean-in to focusing on simplistic watered down open world content vs doing anything that every other game is doing that drives interest. 

Adding more people to buy new expansions could mean a bigger budget to create better and more content. If it could be done, enough received and they get the budget for the ports, could be very good to the game.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Lucius.2140 said:

Adding more people to buy new expansions could mean a bigger budget to create better and more content. If it could be done, enough received and they get the budget for the ports, could be very good to the game.

Well you would be adding more people while subtracting at the same time. That's what I meant when I said it would be good for the business but not for the health. Getting new players in to buy the expansions, the shiny gemstore items, the living worlds etc would be a good bump financially, but they'd be sacrificing many existing players who have already spent that money and are just waiting for more content. Ideally they'd do both, but it seems obvious from their recent statements they only have enough resources for 1 and that's clearly the new player experience, not player retention. 

• Like 3

Gonna be honest, No. 

The only mmorpg I know that does console well is ffxiv, and tbh the companies large enough to have swallowed costs of doing so with ease to do it well. 

ESO is a absolute lag fest on console and tbh buggy. 

GW2 I don't think will pull enough. To make the investment worth it, itd be a huge outgoing for the game to go this direction and do it well. Espically for any player wanting to play WvWvW. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The biggest problem I can see is Anet's update schedule. All updates on console have to go through a certification process which takes 2 weeks.That's less of a problem for new releases now they're happening about once a month (e.g. August - SotO, September - world polish, balance update and the WvW reward changes (new merchant, stat selectable exotics, new infusion etc.), October - Halloween, November - Nayos) but since Through the Veil was released we've had 4 more updates with bug fixes and adjustments and that's not unusual.

Some of those (like the one which was just 'fixed a client crash' might not be needed on console, or they might be able to go through some sort of express process. But it's more likely they'd have to hold back fixes for the console version(s) so they can bundle them into bigger updates, and to do that either consoles need to be on seperate servers to PC (as they are for ESO) or they'd have to delay bug fixes for everyone while they wait for it to be approved on console.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

People dont vote no becouse its to many buttons for a controler tho.

the questions are

A do you think it benefit the game?

B will you or someone you know buy it?

and a no is a good answer for both of those questions.

I get the point that if they need to work on consoles then it will be less work in the actual game, but hows letting the game be available on more platforms NOT a good thing? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9