They are selling hero points in the gem store now

Can’t you already do this with wvw currency?  

And I don’t see how this is an issue at all.  You can already pay gold for legendary items, cosmetics, and most rewards in the game, and anything that can be bought with gold can also be bought with cash.  If someone wants to skip unlocking hero points on an alt so they can access elite specs faster, what’s the harm in that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Honestly, I'm not bothered by this. What comes next may be of concern, though. I won't buy the Lvl 80 boost, waypoint unlocks, or the HP unlocks, but don't begrudge new players that want to catch up quickly, or vets that just want to get a new toon going as quick as possible. Their gain isn't my loss.

I agree, and that last sentence is a pretty good way to distinguish pay-to-win from non-pay-to-win. By buying this, does someone gain something that directly undermines your progress? Then it's pay to win.

Buying some or most of a single elite spec traitline in the gemstore (for a pretty hefty price!) doesn't impact anyone but the buyer. It doesn't help them learn their class instantly. It doesn't get them the best gear and fashion available. It doesn't clear raid wings, capture keeps, or defeat other players in PVP. It's convenient for people who have armies of alts and little time to go with HP trains, but that's about it.

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I mean, I can swipe and buy anything in the game. I can just buy Legendary weapons, which bypasses the need of making weapons, so, it's clearly an issue, right? I can buy lvl80 boosts to bypass having to level, there are even WP unlock packages in the game since a very long time, repair canisters still exist as well. 

There are people crying this is P2W and stuff like that, though, we all know that "P2W" has lost its meaning, or atleast people don't know that people being able to waste their money or something easily obtainable in game is the opposite of P2W. Extra specialization slots, skill slots or stronger than Ascended gear that is only obtainable through paying for them would be P2W. Having an option to buy 10HPs for gems on top of... you know.. HP TRAINS and Heroics is closer to Anet adding something to make some people waste their gems.

The fact that we have to come here to argue about this any further than this quoted comment here is a tragedy of humanity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lucy.3728 said:

I think it's fine. But I think the target group is a niche.

Who is the target group anyway?

My guess is the target group is new players who look up build guides and/or get told by their friends they really need an elite spec, but they don't want to skip ahead in the story to get the hero points necessary.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

This NPC says hi. Has been a thing for a really long time, except now you can waste 50 gems on it, which takes longer to get than 10 Heroics. Same idea as WP unlock or lvl80 boost, but closer to repair canisters in terms of "why would anyone buy this?". Not even mentioning HP trains where in the time you'd farm the gold needed you'd get 10x as many..

It's more of a gem waster than a P2W item. 

pretty sure getting gems is as fast as you can pull out your CC...  

Edited by Wing.5819
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I dont know how i feel about this. 

But. 

Like the level 80 booster, I think this is an item that shouldnt be available for beginners. It would be a perfect one if you have world completion on at least 1 character. Just like i think you should have an level 80 first before being able to activate a level 80 booster. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I think it's fine. But I think the target group is a niche.

Who is the target group anyway?

Not really sure honestly.

Could be new players who use an 80 boost and want the elite specs right away. Then they get overwhelmed by info overload lol.

Or could be for altoholics who are tired of running hero trains or farming hero points for their alts to have elite specs. So they just buy them instead.

• Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Buying these to skip content you've never done before seems like ruining your own game experience

Okay but what happens if they release a new expansion with elite specs that take 1k hps to complete, aren't soloable and just awful. And then make those specs giga Chad powerful? Even if the current devs don't intend to do that, they're laying the groundwork for potentially unscrupulous future devs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

I mean, you can't buy Ascended/Legendary armor, Ascended/Legendary accessories, rings, amulets, etc.

I can buy the clear for every single Raid encounter and get carried through the collections required for Envoy armor and Coal, which already is a pretty big bypass if you think about it. So.. I can make a Guard, buy a level80 boost for him, grab Bolt, The Minstrel, Sunrise/Twilight/whatever off the TP, then look up a Raid selling guild and get carried through the collections and necesseary amount of boss kills, I can buy the materials off TP that I need for the weapons without ever really playing the game.

You can buy almost anything in the game, it's just not done because it's a waste of money, pretty much the same way WP unlocks, repair canisters, HP unlocks and many other gemstore items are a waste of money.

Just now, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I can buy the clear for every single Raid encounter and get carried through the collections required for Envoy armor and Coal, which already is a pretty big bypass if you think about it. So.. I can make a Guard, buy a level80 boost for him, grab Bolt, The Minstrel, Sunrise/Twilight/whatever off the TP, then look up a Raid selling guild and get carried through the collections and necesseary amount of boss kills, I can buy the materials off TP that I need for the weapons without ever really playing the game.

You can buy almost anything in the game, it's just not done because it's a waste of money, pretty much the same way WP unlocks, repair canisters, HP unlocks and many other gemstore items are a waste of money.

But you still have to go through the process of leveling all your crafting, since that stuff is account bound to make. So, you still have to put in some effort lol.

• Confused 3

Just now, Cronospere.8143 said:

I dont know how i feel about this. 

But. 

Like the level 80 booster, I think this is an item that shouldnt be available for beginners. It would be a perfect one if you have world completion on at least 1 character. Just like i think you should have an level 80 first before being able to activate a level 80 booster. 

That would remove my concerns with it.

Just now, Firebeard.1746 said:

Okay but what happens if they release a new expansion with elite specs that take 1k hps to complete, aren't soloable and just awful. And then make those specs giga Chad powerful? Even if the current devs don't intend to do that, they're laying the groundwork for potentially unscrupulous future devs.

I don't think they'd do anything that direct, but that kind of is my concern with items like this. Making a game that players keep playing, and paying for, because it's fun isn't easy. It could potentially be easier and more profitable to make a game that's just fun enough to keep playing but full of annoying chores and stuff that's a hassle to unlock, and then sell players a short-cut through those annoying parts, and if the players will accept it why wouldn't the developers do that?

I don't think we're at that point yet, but there is potential for the game to go that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, they don't even need to go that far. Even with HP Trains is takes a bit of time and planning to get the HPs required for the current 3 specs even after a boost.  I can see them selling a "Brand New Hero" package with a Char Slot, 80 boost, HPs for 1 to 3 specs.  Imagining Bladesworn who never played warrior even for a minute (I'm saying that 'cause I know it well.  I imagine other specs are even worse for a newbie)

Just now, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

But you still have to go through the process of leveling all your crafting, since that stuff is account bound to make. So, you still have to put in some effort lol.

Calling ~25 minutes of leveling a crafting discipline "some effort" is like saying that buying the HP off of TP is some effort, because you have to get your card out and click buttons.

Just now, Lucy.3728 said:

I always think of new players as stingy and veteran players as the more generous ones. 😅

I suspect it depends on the player. I'd definitely be wary of spending a ton of money on a game I'd just bought, because I don't know how long I'll be playing it for. But I think there can also be more incentives for new players to buy convenience and QoL items because they don't yet know about the alternatives. Especially if they know they're going into an 11+ year old MMO and assume they'll have a lot of grinding to do to catch up with existing players.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

There is no need for groundwork to add bad or predatory content. They could make that regardless of anything that came before. This feature is what it is right now, future content is future content. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Calling ~25 minutes of leveling a crafting discipline "some effort" is like saying that buying the HP off of TP is some effort, because you have to get your card out and click buttons.

Still, the point was, that you can't buy everything with real money. You still have to do some work in game that money just won't buy.

(well, unless you pay someone else to play for you...)😋

Edited by SpyderArachnid.5619
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

There is no need for groundwork to add bad or predatory content. They could make that regardless of anything that came before. This feature is what it is right now, future content is future content. 

On paper you're right but in practice I've seen devs go for slow progress to pay to win over immediately chucking it in the game. The goal is to get you to accept it before they toss it on you. They're testing boundaries for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3