It's about time to remake the 3D models.

Rethex.3248

12 minutes ago, Rethex.3248 said:

Upping the polygon count and texture resolution is all I'd want! I may have overexplained myself before 🙂
Check on this, something similar! : > 

Sorry, but personally, I'd be opposed to putting any resources into making changes that minor. I'd rather see resources going to fix all the broken stuff in WvW as well as improving things in SotO, like the Vault dailies. Fixing the broken stuff in the game seems a lot more important to me than minor cosmetic changes like these.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Rethex.3248 said:

Upping the polygon count and texture resolution is all I'd want! I may have overexplained myself before 🙂
Check on this, something similar! : > 

Before I clicked on your video I thought the comparison was left and right... Makes a lot more sense now. 😛 The lion dude at the end is what I'd hope to see with the charr for this sort of update. (That is, I find that the lion dude seems to have benefitted from this update most due to being furry all over.) Overall, it's just more polygons and better textures. It looks the same, just better.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Sorry, but personally, I'd be opposed to putting any resources into making changes that minor. I'd rather see resources going to fix all the broken stuff in WvW as well as improving things in SotO, like the Vault dailies. Fixing the broken stuff in the game seems a lot more important to me than minor cosmetic changes like these.

Artists aren't the people fixing bugs and improving WvW or the Vault.

Artists are the people who may be doing this instead of making new creature models.

Would the trade-off be worth it? Hmm.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

Artists are the people who may be doing this instead of making new creature models.

Would the trade-off be worth it? Hmm.

If they ever have artist's time to spare, I'd prefer if they'd make new models instead of redoing old ones.

This seems  a strange request to me when there are so many people complaining of all the reskinning in SotO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

If they ever have artist's time to spare, I'd prefer if they'd make new models instead of redoing old ones.

This seems  a strange request to me when there are so many people complaining of all the reskinning in SotO.

I see your point, for sure. That's part of why timing is important, if they were to go for an update. Doing it now, after receiving criticism in SotO for reusing pre-existing assets wouldn't be so hot, but doing it in a couple years or so might be a good way to help remind the player base that the game is healthy and Anet is in this for the long haul. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 12/20/2023 at 7:17 PM, Kiki.9450 said:

Upping the polygon count and texture resolution is all I think I want. I would welcome new customisation options too, even if I wouldn't use them.

Ultimately, I'm for an update if my mesmer comes out the other end just looking like a better version of himself... but he does look great now, so if he doesn't get an upgrade any time soon, I won't be mad.

Oh and if they do update the models, they 100% need to give out free make-over kits. No matter how hard Anet tries to make the models look like better versions of their old selves, there will always be folks who prefer the old look.

Edit: I do realise going for a character model update may also be somewhat resource-intensive, so if it were to happen, it'd probably be at the expense of something else new, art-wise. Seeing as one of the main complaints I've been seeing about SotO is about models (animation rigs, really) being reused, I think they'd have to be careful about upgrading any time soon, unless they can swing an expansion with little new art.

On its face, this is a bad idea.  Pun not intended.  We could get a lot more milage out of a new production paradigm that both looks better, and is cheaper to render. More opportunity for a better character creator system in the process.  I'm just not convinced they have someone currently on the team that can spear head that kind of project.  Especially if theres no more parallel projects that might justify the effort.  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 4:49 PM, Kiki.9450 said:

Pretty sure it doesnt need a 20 year veteran engine programmer to fix the missing cornerstone on DBL garri that that already exist on T0-1 but not on T2-3, an artist could probably fix a missing 3D asset. 

It's been missing for 8 years or so now.

• Confused 2