Rift Hunting in Dry Top

Nidome.1365

With Dry Top on the weekly Rift Hunting schedule this week I have already noticed that advancing the map favour level has suddenly become significantly harder as events get scaled by nearby rift hunters etc. also those there for the Drytop events are now spread across several Drytop maps instead of just one or two leading to a lack of people doing regular events.
A simple solution would be to have all the rift events contribute to map favour.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The proper way to introduce rifts would have been to integrate them into each map's major events. This would have given each rift a unique feeling and also given life to older maps without disrupting that map. Just lazily copying and pasting the exact same rifts into every map imaginable just disrupts the maps without properly making the older maps more relevant. I personally would have rather seen Anet integrate rifts into 5 maps in unique ways, than lazily copying and pasting the exact same rifts into 30+ maps with zero creativity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

The proper way to introduce rifts would have been to integrate them into each map's major events. This would have given each rift a unique feeling and also given life to older maps without disrupting that map. Just lazily copying and pasting the exact same rifts into every map imaginable just disrupts the maps without properly making the older maps more relevant. I personally would have rather seen Anet integrate rifts into 5 maps in unique ways, than lazily copying and pasting the exact same rifts into 30+ maps with zero creativity.

This is a cool idea for a future expansion. That can also help spruce up older, less frequented metas too. Shake things up a bit with "invasions from the beyond" or whatever new monsters we'd be dealing with.

...Sounds like a lot of work though. Maybe the easiest way to implement something like this would be to "remake" those metas for the altered version?

For example, let's take Serpent's Ire. Things start off seeming regular, everyone's out fighting veteran enemies to try to spawn the champions... but after champion three something's off. That's no Forgotten! It's a <newexpansionmonsterrawr!>!! And then the second phase could be redone with these <newexpansionmonsterrawr!> as the new focus of the event, using new mechanics. Then, maybe the more familiar Ysshi Hessani is still present, but his hydra friend is changed to resemble <newexpansionmonsterrawr!>, or replaced with one entirely, changing up some mechanics for the fight.

Ok, done hijacking this thread. I hope this actual feedback regarding Dry Top gets heard. It'd make for a rough week just trying to do regular achievements or meta... I do like your suggestion of just making the rift events count. I think that'd be the easiest way to go about it really.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/25/2023 at 8:03 PM, Kiki.9450 said:

This is a cool idea for a future expansion. That can also help spruce up older, less frequented metas too. Shake things up a bit with "invasions from the beyond" or whatever new monsters we'd be dealing with.

...Sounds like a lot of work though. Maybe the easiest way to implement something like this would be to "remake" those metas for the altered version?

For example, let's take Serpent's Ire. Things start off seeming regular, everyone's out fighting veteran enemies to try to spawn the champions... but after champion three something's off. That's no Forgotten! It's a <newexpansionmonsterrawr!>!! And then the second phase could be redone with these <newexpansionmonsterrawr!> as the new focus of the event, using new mechanics. Then, maybe the more familiar Ysshi Hessani is still present, but his hydra friend is changed to resemble <newexpansionmonsterrawr!>, or replaced with one entirely, changing up some mechanics for the fight.

And then the meta fails because players got surprised by the change. And the next time Serpent's Ire comes around, there's even less players interested than before.

Honestly, what less frequented metas need the least is trying to "spruce them up" with some surprise changes. What they need is either a mechanic or reward redesign (and quite often both), not unpredictability. Just look how "loved" was the  "Joko joke" mechanic addition to bounties. That surely went well, right?

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And then the meta fails because players got surprised by the change. And the next time Serpent's Ire comes around, there's even less players interested than before.

Honestly, what less frequented metas need the least is trying to "spruce them up" with some surprise changes. What they need is either a mechanic or reward redesign (and quite often both), not unpredictability. Just look how "loved" was the  "Joko joke" mechanic addition to bounties. That surely went well, right?

I... suggested a change in mechanic. It just doesn't change it all the time, so that those who prefer the original aren't left in the dust. And why wouldn't adding monster-of-the-expansion to whatever pre-existing meta not also come with essence-of-the-expansion at the very least? Maybe they can throw in some infusion too, people love those. Also, this doesn't need to be completely random either, it can be something done on a timer. Every day or week, or whatever other interval of time, metas can become "active" and every time that particular meta activates, it's the monster-of-the-expansion version. Then, it deactivates, returning to its original version. If you don't like monster-of-the-expansion version, at least you know you'll still be able to run your preferred original version after the meta is no longer active. If you know how to use the Wiki to track event timers, it can be perfectly predictable.

But anyway, it's just an idea, in a thread that wasn't asking in the first place. I just got all excited at the premise of "how can Kryptis or other monster-of-the-expansion be implemented into the old world in a different way?"

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The problem with Joko ruining bounties is that it screws over players trying to get something specific done. As long as it doesn’t mess with what players are trying to obtain, it wouldn’t be an issue. Difficulty is another thing I wouldn’t worry about. Few world bosses and metas are hard enough to fail, and rifts are easy enough as is. Kiki never said anything about jacking up the difficulty (though I’d love it if more expansion metas were a little harder). Making unpopular contents more fun and rewarding would be great, too, but our discussion is more about rift implementation than about improving existing metas.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Thanks 1