Combat log bug or what is going on with that burst?

I got some weird Soulbeast burst today, but not from power damage but condi.
I ran up to that Soulbeast and on an instant I got a full stack of bleeding and 10+ poison stacks. There wasn't an animation of any sort of skill.
The combat log shows me using Earth Armor and dodging before getting downed while the Soulbeast used exactly one skill on me which even doesn't apply conditions, while the other is a passive trait. - the whole combat log is maybe 15 seconds of fight.
What am I missing?

The combat starts at the "Skill recharging" at 22:41 and ends in the same minute with the poison damage.

Log 1
Log 2

I went to downstate right after that. 
🫠

17 minutes ago, schokelmei.8271 said:

I got some weird Soulbeast burst today, but not from power damage but condi.
I ran up to that Soulbeast and on an instant I got a full stack of bleeding and 10+ poison stacks. There wasn't an animation of any sort of skill.
The combat log shows me using Earth Armor and dodging before getting downed while the Soulbeast used exactly one skill on me which even doesn't apply conditions, while the other is a passive trait. - the whole combat log is maybe 15 seconds of fight.
What am I missing?

The combat starts at the "Skill recharging" at 22:41 and ends in the same minute with the poison damage.

Log 1
Log 2

I went to downstate right after that. 
🫠

This is a basic condi soulbeast burst combo. Sharpening Stone (10 stacks of your next hit bleeds your target) and Vulture Stance (Your attacks apply poison for 6-9 seconds with a short icd) into Warhorn 4(Hunter's Call) which hits 16x for a minimal amount of power damage but it will proc those other two skills I mentioned. The whole skill will miss if you evade it when they first cast it. They often follow this up with merged smoke assault(5x small hits while evading) which you get when a soul beast merges with their pet Smokescale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

This is a basic condi soulbeast burst combo. Sharpening Stone (10 stacks of your next hit bleeds your target) and Vulture Stance (Your attacks apply poison for 6-9 seconds with a short icd) into Warhorn 4(Hunter's Call) which hits 16x for a minimal amount of power damage but it will proc those other two skills I mentioned. The whole skill will miss if you evade it when they first cast it. They often follow this up with merged smoke assault(5x small hits while evading) which you get when a soul beast merges with their pet Smokescale.

Something to add is they're most likely using the Fractal relic, which applies burning and torment when hitting an enemy with more than 6 stacks of bleeding. This SB might also have it traited so their bleeding does more damage.

• Like 3

They are also likely using the Bristleback merged skill Sharpen Spines which applies bleeding to your next 5 attacks like a mini sharpening stone. So that's your 15 stacks of bleeding plus poison applied at 1/4 second intervalsfrom Vulture Stance, all using Hunter's Call. They are also probably running Dire stats to front load the burst as much as possible.

Probably something a bit like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEgEmpMC2H7hJxQxS35+5Vy0OD-D2IY8o7vQiMByMU7tqU8YQAC3vlJ90AA-w

The 15 bleeds and 10 stacks of poison will load you up with about 35k condition damage over a short duration. Coupled with power damage, if you're not running something with a lot of life you will be downed in 2 or 3 condition ticks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Sounds like a fun high risk high pay off build, might gave to give it a go lol. Seems pretty low sustain if ur running vult and sharpening as utilities, poison master vs wilderness knowledge and skirm instead of beastmaster.

Op did u get hit with flock of birds?

You can see from the images, Hunter's Call, so yes that is exactly what it was.

Also running dire it isn't low sustain at all. You have 28k hp and 3k armour. It still gets Dolyak stance and stability from SotP, condition removal from bear stance, access to stealth, and mobility on staff.

The main thing it suffers from is being a bit of a "one and done" build. You need to prep, offload your burst, and also finish the target (conditions get removed when they go down). After which you're completely useless, even though quite the tank, you're not able to apply that same pressure until your 30sec cooldowns have refreshed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's a fun meme build I run when I'm bored of the meta. I use the Bristleback pet merged.

Secondary weapon is staff for mobility.

You'd be surprised how many 'one-shot' builds run around like chickens for 3 beats then die suddenly. Very satisfying if somewhat niche.

Edited by Doo Lally.8594
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doo Lally.8594 said:

It's a fun meme build I run when I'm bored of the meta. I use the Bristleback pet merged.

Secondary weapon is staff for mobility.

You'd be surprised how many 'one-shot' builds run around like chickens for 3 beats then die suddenly. Very satisfying if niche.

Reminds me of the old Map King build till the runes were nerfed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

They are also likely using the Bristleback merged skill Sharpen Spines which applies bleeding to your next 5 attacks like a mini sharpening stone. So that's your 15 stacks of bleeding plus poison applied at 1/4 second intervalsfrom Vulture Stance, all using Hunter's Call. They are also probably running Dire stats to front load the burst as much as possible.

Probably something a bit like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEgEmpMC2H7hJxQxS35+5Vy0OD-D2IY8o7vQiMByMU7tqU8YQAC3vlJ90AA-w

The 15 bleeds and 10 stacks of poison will load you up with about 35k condition damage over a short duration. Coupled with power damage, if you're not running something with a lot of life you will be downed in 2 or 3 condition ticks.

Tried it with grieving/longbow/OWP for a complete glass cannon and its rather fun to roflstomp some people when you get in a full condi+power burst lol. 
That said the relic seems borked on the build template, it's using the PvE version. The WvW version has nowhere near that amount of damage (like 80% less damage or something).

7 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

You can see from the images, Hunter's Call, so yes that is exactly what it was.

Also running dire it isn't low sustain at all. You have 28k hp and 3k armour. It still gets Dolyak stance and stability from SotP, condition removal from bear stance, access to stealth, and mobility on staff.

The main thing it suffers from is being a bit of a "one and done" build. You need to prep, offload your burst, and also finish the target (conditions get removed when they go down). After which you're completely useless, even though quite the tank, you're not able to apply that same pressure until your 30sec cooldowns have refreshed.

All this ^.  And also why I stopped running SB. I don't like the one and done aspect of it, which I find most SB builds that's worth something to be exactly that.

Yeah, that's just basic needing to cleanse.   

Condi bursts on ranger aren't new...the soulbeast one is a one trick burst but have an Untamed build that can kill people pretty quickly with condi:

In fact, this isn't even a ranger specific thing--with trapper runes and various relic interactions, condi damage is higher than it ever has been. 

The downfall is outnumbered situations--at least on ranger, as if enemies are properly cleansing it is very hard to keep the condi pressure up with only a few conditions.  Also do not have the stealth for disengage unless you run Druid, and that build is so niche it's pretty unreal.  

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Condi bursts on ranger aren't new...the soulbeast one is a one trick burst but have an Untamed build that can kill people pretty quickly with condi:

In fact, this isn't even a ranger specific thing--with trapper runes and various relic interactions, condi damage is higher than it ever has been. 

The downfall is outnumbered situations--at least on ranger, as if enemies are properly cleansing it is very hard to keep the condi pressure up with only a few conditions.  Also do not have the stealth for disengage unless you run Druid, and that build is so niche it's pretty unreal.  

What build is that where the clip starts and he's not plummeting into the floor?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Tried it with grieving/longbow/OWP for a complete glass cannon and its rather fun to roflstomp some people when you get in a full condi+power burst lol. 
That said the relic seems borked on the build template, it's using the PvE version. The WvW version has nowhere near that amount of damage (like 80% less damage or something).

You are correct, the PvP/WvW version of the relic does half the burning stacks for half the duration, and two thirds of the torment stacks for three quarters of the duration at base. It still adds two additional conditions that otherwise would not be there which reduces the likelihood of the much stronger poison and bleeds getting cleansed before the target is downed. Plus you want all the condition burst possible for this build to work reliably.

PvE

• 2x Burning for 8s
  • 3x Torment for 8s

PvP/WvW

• 1x Burning for 4s
  • 2x Torment for 6s

11 hours ago, meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

All this ^.  And also why I stopped running SB. I don't like the one and done aspect of it, which I find most SB builds that's worth something to be exactly that.

I've had a reasonable amount of success with this build, definitely not one and done. It's more of a brawler/duelling build. Played well it's actually quite fun, but hardly meta. Also yes it's cele, if you can't beat them join them right?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAwiVlVwkYPMKGKeyXuPvCk+A-D2IY1o7vYiMEyMSjtA6NoKOB043QAC3vlq80AA-w

I originally threw this together after the One Wolf Pack nerf and on seeing the demon queen relic, I wanted to see how useful it could be.

• You have access to multiple sources of hard CC to proc the additional poison.
  • Multiple leap skills to use while fighting inside your healing spring.
  • Back-to-back movement skills for gaining or closing distance.
  • Multiple weapon evades.
  • A second heal.
  • Loads of might generation to help with damage.

Works great solo in a 1v1 and as part of a small roaming party because of the chase, CC, and additional anti-heal pressure.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This looks pretty fun. I've been having a good time with my power untamed but if I want to try condi, I might look into finally trying out dagger.
A tangential question, but do other folks also see very little Untamed players in WvW? My guildie and I both play untamed, can square off against 80% or so of our opponents successfully, so I feel it's not weak (both in damage and sustain). But I rarely see anyone else who's running as one! I see a lot of SBs though.

26 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

I've had a reasonable amount of success with this build, definitely not one and done. It's more of a brawler/duelling build. Played well it's actually quite fun, but hardly meta. Also yes it's cele, if you can't beat them join them right?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAwiVlVwkYPMKGKeyXuPvCk+A-D2IY1o7vYiMEyMSjtA6NoKOB043QAC3vlq80AA-w

I originally threw this together after the One Wolf Pack nerf and on seeing the demon queen relic, I wanted to see how useful it could be.

• You have access to multiple sources of hard CC to proc the additional poison.
  • Multiple leap skills to use while fighting inside your healing spring.
  • Back-to-back movement skills for gaining or closing distance.
  • Multiple weapon evades.
  • A second heal.
  • Loads of might generation to help with damage.

Works great solo in a 1v1 and as part of a small roaming party because of the chase, CC, and additional anti-heal pressure.

Sweet, thanks! I'll most likely get the itch to run SB again, and will definitely try this out when that happens.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:42 PM, SleepyBat.9034 said:

but why the combat log didnt show the full attack?

Most likely because the combat log sometimes just ignores effects that aren't directly from you. You sometimes see they with AoE skills that don't have initial damage. In pull meta times I often wonder what exactly pulled me and in combat log there isn't a single skill listed that has a pull effect. Happens to me pretty often on temporal curtain or that FB pull on one the tomes.
That could be the reason. Someone should really test it.

Edited by diomache.9246
  • Thanks 1