Tip To Increase Media Presence

This game is underrated, especially for being one of them best if not the best MMORPG of all time, hands down I will argue over this if you want to debate it. This game has one of the most loyal fanbases of all time. This game has a enormous amount of content. So why doesnt it have a larger media presence? Media meaning, Youtube and Twitch primarily. The answer is simple, there isnt enough small group or single player content that makes people want to brag about it online. Media presence is really influenced by viewer count, not the amount of people making videos about it. If you go on Youtube all you see are videos about why this game is great...ok we know its great, what other content can you find online? Yes there are channels and streamers that play, but nothing attention grabbing. This game needs personalized content, meaning content for the INDIVIDUAL player. For example player housing....guild halls require loads of resources and for any content you want to make on it, will require loads of resources...barrier to entry. I only see one player in Youtube making solo boss content...and we all know who it is....and the videos take for ever....barrier to entry. I am not saying make bosees easy, I am saying also focus on single player options. This will decrease the barrier to entry for people who simply want to make some videos. Every time someone wants to be a GW2 content creator, all you see are random videos, reading dev updates, nothing in particular...it can be boring to watch. Let players have individual access to more content in general to ease the requirements to content. If there are videos of METAS, but no guides are actually required...I have never had to use a guide for METAS and the content online demonstrates the lack of necessity for it (dont take my word for it). There has to be a drive to make content for the game, that's what is lacking. There is no lack of drive to play it, the game is GREAT, I am saying a lack of drive to make content about it.

I am going to paste a comment and my response below as I feel it better explains the point of this thread...

"

After playing WoW for years, I don't think individual content has much to do with it.   And there are a lot of content creators who make great videos and tutorials.  It's about advertising budget, and GW2 tends to be more word of mouth as opposed to big flashy ads.

Why would you showcase filler content?  Fishing and guild halls and player housing (this topic smacks of a request for this) are filler.  They are icing on a cake of battles and quests and group content.  I have zero interest in watching videos about a game unless it's for information that I need, and that's largely what creators do...put out information to help others.  Someone just decorating their house ....no thanks.  I love solo content but it is an MMORPG.

What you may have interest in or not doesnt matter. Main content can only be showcased so many times until it burns out until the next big updates....UNLESS it has an element of surprise, which is doesnt. For example, the main content in WOW now is hardcore content. Element of surprise? How long can you go until you die and rage. Nobody watches videos over and over about a boss or meta that players just rush through. I love solo content too, but you cant be closed minded. If they have ZERO interest in media presence, then fine. But if they have an interest in it, these are things they HAVE to consider. Individualized content....not necessarily SOLO content. Solo content would be good too, but the main one is individualized. What makes your video about the SAME content different from the other player who makes videos about that content? Just to piggy back on WOW, the difference in hardcore is the rage and the ways in which player die and lose their stuff....same content, individual outcomes."

Edited by Adry.7512
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

Well player housing will be kinda like fishing hardly seen anyone make vidoes or gush over that content either.

Fishing is extremely simplistic and not very interesting. Now if you apply some sea combat into it, and then bringing said fish back to your player housing where you cook it...now you added role play into it and an entire gameplay video, which sounds super cool.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

After playing WoW for years, I don't think individual content has much to do with it.   And there are a lot of content creators who make great videos and tutorials.  It's about advertising budget, and GW2 tends to be more word of mouth as opposed to big flashy ads.

Why would you showcase filler content?  Fishing and guild halls and player housing (this topic smacks of a request for this) are filler.  They are icing on a cake of battles and quests and group content.  I have zero interest in watching videos about a game unless it's for information that I need, and that's largely what creators do...put out information to help others.  Someone just decorating their house ....no thanks.  I love solo content but it is an MMORPG.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It's about advertising budget, and GW2 tends to be more word of mouth as opposed to big flashy ads.

This is it.

Word of mouth did some serious damage to WoW during the past two expansions, especially Shadowlands (and rightfully so) but then Blizzard puts out one CGI trailer and a tonne of people are back, at the very least going "well the trailer looks cool." "The trailer looks cool" is enough to make some people look more into whatever game, and maybe even consider trying it. If they like what they play, they put more money into it. That money can get used for more advertising.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

What you may have interest in or not doesnt matter. Main content can only be showcased so many times until it burns out until the next big updates....UNLESS it has an element of surprise, which is doesnt. For example, the main content in WOW now is hardcore content. Element of surprise? How long can you go until you die and rage. Nobody watches videos over and over about a boss or meta that players just rush through. I love solo content too, but you cant be closed minded. If they have ZERO interest in media presence, then fine. But if they have an interest in it, these are things they HAVE to consider. Individualized content....not necessarily SOLO content. Solo content would be good too, but the main one is individualized. What makes your video about the SAME content, different from the other player who makes videos about that content? Just to piggy back on WOW, the difference in hardcore is the rage and the ways in which player die and lose their stuff....same content, individual outcomes.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Kiki.9450 said:

If they like what they play, they put more money into it. That money can get used for more advertising.

A bit off topic but this is just to good to not point out. Ads should not bring more people in to pay for more ads. If this is your strat, if your vision ends there, your product will fail.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Omega.6801 said:

So basically make it a single player game so content creators on yt can better content create from it. Yeah, no thanks.

I love that pro alliances you got down there. This type of content would provide individualized content. Everyone can play WVW, low barrier to entry, and people can affiliate and support their favorite guilds, individual experience/content. I am not necessarily talking about SOLO content, re-read the thread. I am particularly pointing out individualized content to increase media presence. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

A bit off topic but this is just to good to not point out. Ads should not bring more people in to pay for more ads. If this is your strat, if your vision ends there, your product will fail.

WoW's patch cadence during Dragonflight tells me they aren't using that money strictly for advertisement. That's why I said the money can be used for more ads.

21 minutes ago, Adry.7512 said:

What you may have interest in or not doesnt matter. Main content can only be showcased so many times until it burns out until the next big updates....UNLESS it has an element of surprise, which is doesnt. For example, the main content in WOW now is hardcore content. Element of surprise? How long can you go until you die and rage. Nobody watches videos over and over about a boss or meta that players just rush through. I love solo content too, but you cant be closed minded. If they have ZERO interest in media presence, then fine. But if they have an interest in it, these are things they HAVE to consider. Individualized content....not necessarily SOLO content. Solo content would be good too, but the main one is individualized. What makes your video about the SAME content, different from the other player who makes videos about that content? Just to piggy back on WOW, the difference in hardcore is the rage and the ways in which player die and lose their stuff....same content, individual outcomes.

So you're being interpreted as wanting more solo content/focus so creators can make something presentable to those who would be interested in watching streaming and repeated viewing videos?  That's not the focus of the game, and it is largely open ended on how you play it.  Unlikely to change the direction of the game after 11 years or generate an entirely new fan base, especially in an oversaturated market that already has plenty of solo player games.  

If not, what exactly would you personally like to showcase?  What would keep you fascinated and rewatching on YouTube?  Unless it's my channel, I don't care how many likes or followers or views they have.  I generate nothing from it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

So you're being interpreted as wanting more solo content/focus so creators can make something presentable to those who would be interested in watching streaming and repeated viewing videos?  That's not the focus of the game, and it is largely open ended on how you play it.  Unlikely to change the direction of the game after 11 years or generate an entirely new fan base, especially in an oversaturated market that already has plenty of solo player games.  

If not, what exactly would you personally like to showcase?  What would keep you fascinated and rewatching on YouTube?  Unless it's my channel, I don't care how many likes or followers or views they have.  I generate nothing from it.  

Read carefully, not necessarily SOLO content, its individualized content that makes it entertaining. Meaning, its the same content that everyone plays, but each person playing brings an element of individualized outcomes. We can all go into WVW, but supporting your guild and having a sense of allegiance for said guild would bring about individualized content. Same WVW, individualized outcome. Lets look at D4. Nobody cares about how many times you kill uber lillith (for example), because its been done 100k times, but videos on build diversity and different ways to play the game does get viewers. Eventually the viewers died because there are only so many builds....then the media became saturated with D4 drama. GW2 will benefit greatly from new Xpacs every year, but what I am trying to say is....SAME content, but with an INDIVIDUALIZED element to it....that makes great content. Content creators will benefit a lot from a new Xpac every year because after the first playthrough on Twitch, then they have lore videos, bosses, content videos, the upcoming patches, then BOOM new Xpac. This is great, but the content creator will have to bring a lot of personality due to the fact that a lot of other creators will do the exact same thing. A great way to expand on this would be through INDIVIDUALIZED content. Content we all have access to, but each player provides their own twist to it. For example, like I mentioned before, alliances would help provide that individual content...everyone has access to WVW, alliances and guild representation brings tribalism, allegiances, war, etc....all of which are individualized per player experience. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Adry.7512 said:

What you may have interest in or not doesnt matter.

That's bold, considering the point of your request is just... adding what you want to be added.

Last time streamers got positively loud about gw2 content, it was centered around HT CM release, so... Anet, it doesn't matter what OP of this thread has interest in -if you want "media presence", it's clear you have to start/keep releasing more solid strikes and raids!
Sorry, I don't make the rules, has to be done.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's bold, considering the point of your request is just... adding what you want to be added.

Last time streamers got positively loud about gw2 content, it was centered around HT CM release, so... Anet, it doesn't matter what OP of this thread has interest in -if you want "media presence", it's clear you have to start/keep releasing more solid strikes and raids!
Sorry, I don't make the rules, has to be done.

My thread absolutely doesnt matter unless Anet is interested in the topic. Why would anyone's individual opinion ever matter unless it matters to the other party receiving the information?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Adry.7512 said:

My thread absolutely doesnt matter unless Anet is interested in the topic. Why would anyone's individual opinion ever matter unless it matters to the other party receiving the information?

And you honestly think Anet, a company under NCSoft, needs your advice on media presence? (memes aside 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Isn't what individualizes the content in your meaning the individual that creates the content? And by that the game does not need to be adjusted as long as there are individuals that create individualized content?
At least that's how I percieve and consume content creation. I follow channels, not games. If I like a game I will check if a creator I like has content about it before I will see what other content there is. And if a channel I like would release a vid wher they played pong for an hour today, I would probably watch it some time in the next ten days. Making games with "streamability" as a main focus may be a thing if you make something new, but changing an eleven year old game so it can compete with fortnite or whatever is not going to happen.
What can happen however is that people, individuals if you like, find something in the existing game and create their individualized content. There are things ANet can do. The partner program is one thing, although I don't know much about it. There's also a way to get some official media assets and such. ANet could definitely promote ppl from their partner program more or in general work more with the community they have, talking straight out of my kitten here but this would probably be worth ten times any media campaign could bring. Content wise GW2 will alwas suffer from repetition. What you want is only possible in PvP environments, sandbox games or roguelikes where you have the element of randmoness that individualizes each instance and GW2, atm, is neither of these things. It can't be a roguelike, becuase it's a MMO. It can't be a sandbox, because it's a themepark and the only thing that is sandboxy, WvW, is neglected. It can't be PvP centered because it just can't, it was tried, it failed and yes, sure, you could try again, but also no, that horse is just dead. So extending WvW would be the best bet for the conent you want and while I'd love to see it, I doubt that it will happen.
So what's left is just making content with what we have. I see many different kinds of vids on yt, from the classic guids and playthroughs, to funny moments, gank compilations and music. Does GW2 get as many hits as Starfield? Probably not. Does it matter? Maybe a bit. Media presence isn't what it used to be. Back in ye olden days, it meant something when your show had like 1mio eyes on screen. Those were actual numbers, actual TV sets that were running your program that evening. Today, where a 47s vid of a cat knocking over a vase has 498.3M views. What does a view count for?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I have zero interest in watching videos about a game unless it's for information that I need, and that's largely what creators do...put out information to help others.  Someone just decorating their house ....no thanks.  .

So true. I'd rather play, instead of watch.

Although if i look at what my nephews are looking at (10 to 16 years old) they all watch other people playing a game. Not even for info. Just.. watching. 

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And you honestly think Anet, a company under NCSoft, needs your advice on media presence? (memes aside 😄

Maybe it has been improved since EoD. Have you ever seen their "big" livestreams? If you have.. you wouldnt have asked this question. Lol. A lot of times, it is just awkward (IMO.. i know some people love it though) 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

So true. I'd rather play, instead of watch.

Although if i look at what my nephews are looking at (10 to 16 years old) they all watch other people playing a game. Not even for info. Just.. watching. 

Maybe it has been improved since EoD. Have you ever seen their "big" livestreams? If you have.. you wouldnt have asked this question. Lol. A lot of times, it is just awkward (IMO.. i know some people love it though) 

I guess it's like watching sports for some people, I just don't find it that interesting.   

Lol their livestreams, other than the cat incident, are not the most exciting.  Usually I'd rather see more gameplay and less of the people talking.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I guess it's like watching sports for some people, I just don't find it that interesting.   

Lol their livestreams, other than the cat incident, are not the most exciting.  Usually I'd rather see more gameplay and less of the people talking.  

what cat incident?

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

what cat incident?

This....

1 hour ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

A cat in new kaineng was killed by accident with the dev command during the live stream, it's still in game, but dies when you pet it and there is a little gravestone behind it.

https://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/clip/GloriousRoughPanDxCat-gZGk5DyryyJ6WTUP

There was a collective shriek during the live stream for the first looks at EoD for killing the kitty, lol humorous just the same.  

• Like 2