sPvP player, I have been trying out WvW during Rush. My thoughts on the gamemode.

6 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I'm giving my feedback.

I came to WvW, I tried to get into it, but couldn't. So I tried to explain why I think that is. I tried to be constructive. You may take it as you wish.

So, again, why wait for an event week where you can log into a 50+queue for EBG map while other maps are near empty? You explained how the event was at least. If I decided to try Spvp during a win trading week, my view on that game mode might be skewed. 

Not a big deal, just wasn't sure what you were getting at. 

• Like 4

On 1/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

In my few hours playing I've seen the castle in EBG flip colors so many times it made me wonder why nobody seems to give a kitten?

Because getting sm was an achievement in the rush event collection of achievements. And everybody wanted it. Defending sm was no achievement.

Another thing is that the no-fun-beta was around the corner and most gave a kitten about objectives apart from achievements. I didn't bother with defending anything. What for anyway? Only interesting thing may be bags.

Bad time to try out wvw 😉

Edited by Lucy.3728

3 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Well it's been a few days and I've only been back to the mode once or twice. The thing that was keeping me in WvW was getting a Gift of Battle. Now that I have it, I'm back to sPvP to get some gold. WvW was giving me some WvW skirmish tickets instead, but I'm not sure what the value that is to me? When Gold can be used for almost everything. And so sPvP rewards are just universally better in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why some may enjoy WvW. I still think it has potential. But the content is obviously outdated.. even more outdated than sPvP somehow.

I do think the rewards are a bit lackluster. And it was far worse back then lol! For me, I make sure I go in there with a reward track guild bonus, plus magic find. I get various ascended gear and valuable materials. You can gear up characters pretty nicely through drops or using WvW currency. But, even so, your thoughts on the rewards has merit.

In terms of your overall experience... it just honestly varies. As others have said, it's more like a sandbox and the activity changes depending on time and other factors.
One key thing is knowing why certain things are being done or why they're even important. If you have keeps and towers that need to be tiered up, then keeping camps (flipping them and defending them) is also incredibly important. You can't tier up a structure without them. Players will often put buffs on camps in order to tier up structures faster, and thus making it even more important to defend that camp. Why is it important to tier up a structure? To make them more defensible, as lower tiered ones tend to be made out of "paper", as we like to call it. We also get waypoints in keeps that are at maxed tiers, which is useful for convenience and also defense. Why is it important to defend? The answer to this can vary. Some people don't care, while others do. I'm pretty sure that we get more points from structures we've held the longest, but not sure if that's been changed. If it's still the case, then people may find value in defense for that reason. Other people like to defend simply because they don't want to lose, and the less structures you hold, the sadder your team looks.

For me, I enjoy defending. I like being able to keep the structures in our home borderlands, so I focus my energy and game time on defending them. I'm a roamer and a scout, so I let others know if I see something contested, and I do my best to defend those areas by fighting off players or using siege (depending on what I'm actually facing). Some of us spend our time literally building up siege to use as counter defense. At the end of the day, it all depends on what you find important and enjoyable. If you can't find any of that in WvW, then it's definitely ok not to be active in the game mode 🙂

On 1/11/2024 at 3:47 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Yea normally wouldn't they just make it so that arranged teams would only face other arranged teams?  But I guess that would take too long.

Lol no one would queue that. People want easy wins, not competitive matches. They don't group up to play with friends, they play with friends to get an unfair advantage. You can see this in every other game with instanced PvP.

I agree it's hard to find content in wvw, but it's there if you look for it . . .

In the past, anet allowed for defense, but ktrainers didn't have the patience for siege and so anet changed the rules to eliminate defense, which turned out to be a good thing. It's what ppls wanted and has resulted in a much more vibrant game mode than before where ppls weren't willing to attack. But yeah, large scale play isn't going to be a lot of fun unless you've got something engaging going on on another screen . . .

But for smallscale OP is wrong. In the solo experience anyone can run a build where they "win" 90+% of their fights, but it's down to you as a player to realize that's a broken build and get on something that offers you a chance to lose and the entertainment that arises from that risk instead . . .

If you're not having fun in wvw as a solo roamer, there is quite literally no one to blame but yourself . . .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I'm giving my feedback.

I came to WvW, I tried to get into it, but couldn't. So I tried to explain why I think that is. I tried to be constructive. You may take it as you wish.

Wvw is only good for afking while you watch something on the side, at this point.

Fight tags were fun, years ago. Rest was and is just mediocre compared to conquest.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

If you're not having fun in wvw as a solo roamer, there is quite literally no one to blame but yourself . . .

I ran around as a solo roamer. I ghost capped, killed doylaks, and ganked a few players along the way. But in the end it wasn't very satisfying.

Maybe if killing players caused them to drop 1 of their equipped items, that would make it a little more spicy. Instead I spend a few minutes dueling someone and they drop a spike worth 16 copper https://wiki-en.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spike

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Again, it's the risk that creates the entertainment. If you ran around solo and all you did was gank other players you've got to get to a place where you can recognize you need to get on a different build that can create some entertainment for you. It can be a difficult thing for players who have their ego tied up in outcomes, but it's the only way to find entertainment in the mode . . .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I ran around as a solo roamer. I ghost capped, killed doylaks, and ganked a few players along the way. But in the end it wasn't very satisfying.

Why not make yourself useful instead? Flipping camps is PvE. At the very least contest them...

11 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

Why not make yourself useful instead? Flipping camps is PvE. At the very least contest them...

So you suggest I camp a location for an unknown amount of time waiting for someone to turn up?

What are the rewards for doing this useful activity? 2 pips an hour? 😅

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Well I did as you suggested and contested a camp from a deadeye. I got 0 pips for the effort. Then a red ball of invaders showed up and took the camp in 10 seconds anyway.

Worthless mode.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:13 AM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I'm giving my feedback.

That's an uninformed feedback, but I'm sure everyone's glad you're able to play your favorite mode of choice.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:12 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Maybe if killing players caused them to drop 1 of their equipped items, that would make it a little more spicy. Instead I spend a few minutes dueling someone and they drop a spike worth 16 copper https://wiki-en.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spike

Funny how you think this should be a thing in wvw but it's ok for not being a thing in pvp mode, wonder how that works in your mind 🤷‍♂️ 

On 1/11/2024 at 11:11 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Buzzbugs topic...

Yup, baits 24/7.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Funny how you think this should be a thing in wvw but it's ok for not being a thing in pvp mode, wonder how that works in your mind 🤷‍♂️ 

Because as it stands unless you follow the zerg for hours or solo ghost-cap and kill doylaks continuously the rewards are terrible compared with sPvP. And doing those things are incredibly repetitive and the zerging is especially mindless. The whole thing is a grind fest under the guise of a siege and defence mode, there's no substance to it at all. At least sPvP mode is exactly what you expect it will be going in.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Because as it stands unless you follow the zerg for hours or solo ghost-cap and kill doylaks continuously the rewards are terrible compared with sPvP. And doing those things are incredibly repetitive, and the zerging is especially mindless. The whole thing is a grind fest.

That's false, I mainly play wvw outside of zergs and there's plenty of fights to have. Maybe you're getting into least populated map or don't understand where to look for a player encounter.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's false, I mainly play wvw outside of zergs and there's plenty of fights to have. Maybe you're getting into least populated map or don't understand where to look for a player encounter.

I have had plenty of player encounters. But they are ultimately unrewarding. In sPvP if I hold out against another player on a node, we get to keep that node and it makes a noticeable difference to the outcome of the match.

What is the outcome from me defending a camp for 5 minutes from a deadeye only for a zerg to show up right after and take the camp in 10 seconds? Everyone in that zerg is getting far better rewards than I'm getting. So what is the point of doing that for any reason other than personal amusement when it achieves nothing?

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I have had plenty of player encounters. But they are ultimately unrewarding. In sPvP if I hold out against another player on a node, we get to keep that node and it makes a noticeable difference to the outcome of the match.

What is the outcome from me defending a camp for 5 minutes from a deadeye only for a zerg to show up right after and take the camp in 10 seconds? Everyone in that zerg is getting far better rewards than I'm getting.

I encourage you to read gw2 wiki to learn about the basics of the mode.

Funny how it instantly moved from "I need to follow zergs or keep pve-ing camps and dolyaks to even get rewards" to now "I had plenty of player encounters, but zergs get more!". If you're preoccupied with "getting better rewards", there are better farms than pvp modes anyways, you either enjoy the gameplay or you don't.

Edited by Sobx.1758

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you're preoccupied with "getting better rewards"

I'm not.

I already said the mode seemed mindless to me because it's all about zergs taking towers and the castle getting flipped every 5 minutes, and that there's hardly any defence effort to speak of. Just farm farm farm...

I was only looking for another avenue on playing the mode that would be away from all that, but it seems I would be sabotaging my own rewards in doing so. So my only option is to join the zerg or get out.

You're trying to gaslight me again.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I'm not.

So what was the point of writing this:

14 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Everyone in that zerg is getting far better rewards than I'm getting.

Or, even now this:

4 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

but it seems I would be sabotaging my own rewards in doing so. So my only option is to join the zerg or get out.

?

"I'm not preoccupied with rewards but basically all I'm currently complaining about is that someone could get more rewards than me!" 🤦‍♂️ 

Anyways, good luck in other modes.

• Like 2

If you want to blame someone for this don't blame me, blame Anet for designing the entire game around a rewards framework. Everything you do in the game has rewards tied with it. It creates a mentality that everything you do is motivated by a carrot on the end of the stick. Just look at the zergs in WvW and pretend the commander tag at the front is the carrot and they're chasing it. That's a sad kittening image.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

If you want to blame someone for this don't blame me, blame Anet for designing the entire game around a rewards framework. Everything you do in the game has rewards tied with it. It creates a mentality that everything you do is motivated by a carrot on the end of the stick. Just look at the zergs in WvW and pretend the commander tag at the front is the carrot and they're chasing it. And that's a sad kittening image.

Yup, so it was about rewards and yet you'll throw that "gaslight" accusation at me instead of looking at yourself and understanding what you're actually saying in your posts. It's almost as if you were projecting onto me what you tried to do.
People have fun in different modes, your mentality is yours, clearly not everyone chases the highest reward no matter what, so I don't need to blame anyone for anything. Games having reward structures is a normal thing, those rewards varying based on the content or playstyle/optimisation is also normal. From my point of view if you choose to do something you don't like for a bit more gold, it's your problem.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yup, so it was about rewards and yet you'll throw that "gaslight" accusation at me instead of looking at yourself and understanding what you're actually saying in your post. It's almost as if you were projecting onto me what you tried to do.
People have fun in different modes, your mentality is yours, clearly not everyone chases the highest reward no matter what, so I don't need to blame anyone for anything. Games having reward structures is a normal thing, those rewards varying based on the content or playstyle/optimisation is also normal. From my point of view if you choose to do something you don't like for a bit more gold, it's your problem.

I like sPvP but it has it's own problems.

The only purpose of this thread was to share some impressions of WvW from someone coming from a long background in sPvP. Surprise surprise, WvW has it's own problems, too. Albeit different ones..

Yet you're here trying to deconstruct it all and now you're once again telling me there's no problem with the game, it's a me problem. Where have I heard that before? 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1