Idea for future expansion

What if the next expansion adds new weapon types such as greataxe, chakram and fan and have their legendary variants be exclusive to the expansion? They would have to make new animations and new skins, but I think it would expand the game. Warrior already has access to 13/16 weapons and 2 of the ones it doesnt have (focus and scepter) dont fit its theme so giving classes access to more weapon types that already exist has a limit.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Why should focus or scepter don't fit a warrior? I did also never expect to see a mesmer with shield, a thief with scepter or a ele with hammer. And yet we got them all. It has always been the purpose of new unlocked weapons for classes to be unexpected creative and to think with their design outside of the box.

And I can see why ArenaNet avoids as long as posible to create new weapon types. GW2 is special in the way that every weapon has totally unik skills for every class.

If the warrior got 3 totally new, never in the game seen before skills with the scepter, or if he got 3 totally new, never in the game seen before skills with a fan.

For the players that doesn't make such a huge difference. They got either way a new gameplay experiences. But for the developers the scepter saves a lot of time, work and resources that can be invested in other features.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

...don't some hammers (maybe one) look like greataxe? 😉

I think only about 1, there are also staffs with a pointy end. The solstice focus weapon also looks like Sabir's torch. This is more about adding a new weapon type

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

Why should focus or scepter don't fit a warrior? I did also never expect to see a mesmer with shield, a thief with scepter or a ele with hammer. And yet we got them all. It has always been the purpose of new unlocked weapons for classes to be unexpected creative and to think with their design outside of the box.

And I can see why ArenaNet avoids as long as posible to create new weapon types. GW2 is special in the way that every weapon has totally unik skills for every class.

If the warrior got 3 totally new, never in the game seen before skills with the scepter, or if he got 3 totally new, never in the game seen before skills with a fan.

For the players that doesn't make such a huge difference. They got either way a new gameplay experiences. But for the developers the scepter saves a lot of time, work and resources that can be invested in other features.

Warrior is the only class that doesnt use magic, scepter and focus are magical weapons unlike the rest which can be both.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

When I first started playing this game, around level 20 or so on my mesmer I looted a greatsword from somewhere. I noticed that I could equip it. "What the crap is my skinny little mesmer going to do with a sword as big as he is?" Greatsword is my favourite weapon on a mesmer now.

If Anet can come up with FREAKIN' SWORD LASERS, I'm sure they can invent something interesting and thematically-appropriate for warriors so that they can use sceptres and foci. And I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself loving the concept.

Alternatively, warriors can always smash things in the face with a sceptre and punch things with the focus, all the while screaming "I'M TRYING TO CAST FIREBALL BUT THIS STUPID THING DOESN'T WORK! D:<"

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dibit.6259 said:

I believe there are already skins for fans (focus) and great axe (hammer).

This is about weapon type, such as an elementalist using a fan as an offhand weapon to create storms, a mesmer using it to confuse enemies, a revenant to throw them and create rifts. Some sword skins are long enough to be considered greatswords while others short enough to be daggers (most weapon sets have the dagger and swords look the same and just be held differently)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

I didnt say that, I just suggested weapon types. 

Well, none have been added for 11 years, so you'd be better off suggesting skills that use an existing weapon, better chance of actually seeing it happen.

Still, Anet could surprise. But no matter what they might introduce, there will be disappointed people. "Awww, they added a fan, but it's a melee condi weapon!"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Warrior is the only class that doesnt use magic, scepter and focus are magical weapons unlike the rest which can be both.

Warrior uses magic. That's a fact.

The focus category contains many random items. Arenanet can simply use that category to give Warrior a fist-type weapon.

Scepter could be used as a spear, like Paragons did in GW2. It could end up being a one-handed 900 range support weapon many people want.

Will most skins in these categories look silly being used that way? most likely.

But such concerns don't stop Thief, Revenant and soon Warrior from having access to all the skins in the staff category.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Well, none have been added for 11 years, so you'd be better off suggesting skills that use an existing weapon, better chance of actually seeing it happen.

I like this idea. Introduce a new "weapon," but it's just a new skillset for a pre-existing weapon. It could give new playstyles for pre-existing weapons on diferent professions, such as a melee mesmer greatsword. Players can pick between skillset 1 and skillset 2 for any weapons with these added skillsets. Could be fun.

Some Foci look a bit like claw weapons, others like buckler shields, it could be an interesting twist to give warriors access to focus as an off hand melee weapon with scepter as a main hand melee fighting stick, comparable to a light mace or baton.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3