WvW Beta is a dumpster Fire

The point of this beta was to play with our guildmates no? the title of the game is Guild Wars.... how am I suppose to guild wars when my guild is spread across a bunch of different clusters/shards?

Why is everyone in my guild in a different shard and why did you think it was ever a good idea to even implement this garbage beta? let's be honest you cannot fix World vs World with a real fix because that'd kill the cash cow Anet so desperately wants to keep now can we end the beta early so I can go WvW with my guild mates or what?

there was apparently some sort of pick event and nobody I know knew about this event where you could get your guild to pick stuff together. 

EDIT: This Beta split my guild up because we were all together for the most part on yak's bend with people paying real money for the transfer and now we cannot play together do to garbage beta.

Edited by Zepharos.5860
because the point of how trash this beta was wasn't clear enough.
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

there was apparently some sort of pick event and nobody I know knew about this event where you could get your guild to pick stuff together. 

This was posted in this sub-forum on January 3, ten days ago...
"As with previous World Restructuring betas, if you would like to be on the same team as your guild, you will need to set that guild as your “WvW Guild” via the Guild Panel. You’ll need to do this by 11:59 PST on Thursday, January 11th for the start of the beta. There will a second team creation event for the last week of the beta, and you will need to have your preferred guild set by 11:59 PST, Thursday, January 25th."

In my WvW guild, the leaders have been reminding people to make their selection since Rubi Bayer first posted that. The reason I'm pointing this out is that apparently the beta was massively bugged for the EU servers after their reset today. Guilds who had made their selection appropriately were scattered all over the place. That was caused by bugs that Anet had to fix. However, if you didn't make your selection by the deadline, that is not a fixable bug.

It can be argued, and has been in past betas, that Anet didn't do enough to get the word out about the selection process. That is a known issue and that is why folks in my WvW guild were watching closely for an announcement like the one linked above. That's also why our guild leaders kept reminding everyone to make their selection in time. OP, if you haven't been through these betas before, at least now you know what to watch out for and you can make sure your guild is ready when and if we have another beta. For this beta, all I can suggest is asking Customer Service to get your and your guildies together in the right place. That's what Rubi Bayer suggested here for folks scattered by the EU bugs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

EDIT: This Beta split my guild up because we were all together for the most part on yak's bend with people paying real money for the transfer and now we cannot play together do to garbage beta.

Oh the irony. Well at least you where together for the most part

The beta was supposed to be fairly refined at this point. Supposed to be. Obviously something failed pretty hard and that is disappointing. I personally wonder how much of it is related to slapping WR on top of the link system, rather than having WR "from scratch" sort of speak.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

This was posted in this sub-forum on January 3, ten days ago...
"As with previous World Restructuring betas, if you would like to be on the same team as your guild, you will need to set that guild as your “WvW Guild” via the Guild Panel. You’ll need to do this by 11:59 PST on Thursday, January 11th for the start of the beta. There will a second team creation event for the last week of the beta, and you will need to have your preferred guild set by 11:59 PST, Thursday, January 25th."

In my WvW guild, the leaders have been reminding people to make their selection since Rubi Bayer first posted that. The reason I'm pointing this out is that apparently the beta was massively bugged for the EU servers after their reset today. Guilds who had made their selection appropriately were scattered all over the place. That was caused by bugs that Anet had to fix. However, if you didn't make your selection by the deadline, that is not a fixable bug.

It can be argued, and has been in past betas, that Anet didn't do enough to get the word out about the selection process. That is a known issue and that is why folks in my WvW guild were watching closely for an announcement like the one linked above. That's also why our guild leaders kept reminding everyone to make their selection in time. OP, if you haven't been through these betas before, at least now you know what to watch out for and you can make sure your guild is ready when and if we have another beta. For this beta, all I can suggest is asking Customer Service to get your and your guildies together in the right place. That's what Rubi Bayer suggested here for folks scattered by the EU bugs.

Well My guildmates and myself are only apart of one guild and we had it selected as the WvW guild before reset today and we're on the NA server. What really pisses me off is we had folks who recently came into the guild and now we cannot play together, this affects a lot of our guild since we lean into WvW more than other content in the game so Anet effectively killed our guild for the time being. A post on a sub reddit forum is unacceptable as a means to get the word out. there should have been more in the actual game itself they have no problem sending mail to explain stuff but the mail they sent for this spoke NOTHING about all of this procedural stuff.

We set our guild to our WvW guild and still got split up.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Oh the irony. Well at least you where together for the most part

The beta was supposed to be fairly refined at this point. Supposed to be. Obviously something failed pretty hard and that is disappointing. I personally wonder how much of it is related to slapping WR on top of the link system, rather than having WR "from scratch" sort of speak.

it is irony. again as I said to Chichimec I think it's unacceptable standards for operation to rely soley on a forum and I generally do not like using a forum because of drama etc, the in game itself there should have been more information in game about these changes, which was missed by a lot of people apparently myself included. the concept of the change was cool but this beta just pissed me off and that's the truth of why I am here don't know anyone who's actually pleased with this beta and my guild is effectively killed for 4 weeks. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

Well My guildmates and myself are only apart of one guild and we had it selected as the WvW guild before reset today

That's an open question, did you have it set before 11:59 PST the day before reset? If it was today you missed the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

Did you have your guild set prior to the last beta months ago or did you guild not participate in the prior beta?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

The posts I linked were not on Reddit but on this forum. However, if you had made your guild selection in time and still got split up, then that IS a bug that Anet needs to fix and it should be reported as such. And yes, you and your guildies should be contacting Customer Support about getting that straightened out. Personally, I haven't logged into WvW yet because of the queues after the NA reset. I did check though and it looks like I was assigned correctly. Got my fingers crossed though that I will actually be sent to the same place as my fellow guildies for our run tomorrow.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

That's an open question, did you have it set before 11:59 PST the day before reset? If it was today you missed the deadline.

Did you have your guild set prior to the last beta months ago or did you guild not participate in the prior beta?

My guild didn't participate in the last beta, we're 2-3 weeks old. 

Yea I had my guild set to WvW guild the moment I made it 2-3 weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

The posts I linked were not on Reddit but on this forum. However, if you had made your guild selection in time and still got split up, then that IS a bug that Anet needs to fix and it should be reported as such. And yes, you and your guildies should be contacting Customer Support about getting that straightened out. Personally, I haven't logged into WvW yet because of the queues after reset. I did check though and it looks like I was assigned correctly. Got my fingers crossed though that I will actually be sent to the same place as my guildies for our run tomorrow.

good luck in your run tomorrow. I will talk with my guildies and see what we can do, we were gonna do the WvW guild missions and stuff together but that has changed.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

The point of this beta was to play with our guildmates no? the title of the game is Guild Wars.... how am I suppose to guild wars when my guild is spread across a bunch of different clusters/shards?

Why is everyone in my guild in a different shard and why did you think it was ever a good idea to even implement this garbage beta? let's be honest you cannot fix World vs World with a real fix because that'd kill the cash cow Anet so desperately wants to keep now can we end the beta early so I can go WvW with my guild mates or what?

You’ve obviously missed the irony in your post…it’s called a Beta for a reason.

Coming in here bitching, moaning and crying about how a beta isn’t working properly just makes you look silly.

Provide the feedback by all means, but the way you’re presenting yourself around a Beta is honestly embarrassing.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

good luck in your run tomorrow. I will talk with my guildies and see what we can do, we were gonna do the WvW guild missions and stuff together but that has changed.

Why you received confused marks, I do not get. 

Can't discount a number of items here. Is this a new guild bug? Is it that players missed the deadline? Is it the undefined bug that they said is there that split guilds? Can't tell here. As far as info, its been out in the forums in some limited ways. Could that have gone better, yes. Could/should there have been more internal server shares, well that was server by server, so mileage may have varied. I would recommend watching the news section of the website. I also recommend those that banter on the forums to share to make sure their that server mates that don't have as much info as possible in these cases. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Deadringers.9047 said:

Coming in here bitching, moaning and crying about how a beta isn’t working properly just makes you look silly.

Provide the feedback by all means, but the way you’re presenting yourself around a Beta is honestly embarrassing.

🙂 Oh hai!

Do I think Anet did a good job on providing info on this? That's a big no. Did they hint at it and then dropped the ball on more info, yes. Are regular Forum Wars 2 players used to it and can read between the lines, yes they provided some info but in a very under whelming way that players that are not on the forums might have missed. 

Good rule on customer feedback is someone comes in and raises a disagreement then that is a good time to question on how that information was presented if you want to gain more goodwill next time.

I agree its not about just coming in and complaining. But what info did you read in that showed this wasn't a bug? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

The problem is the interface and perhaps terminology is ambiguous enough to introduce confusion that results in pebkac. Trying to sift thru the pebkac to find the bugs is frustrating and time consuming. Each individual case has to be checked out.

The interface really needs some work. Since team formation relies on a time element, maybe they can copy some ui patterns from automated tournaments.

Edited by Chaba.5410

8 hours ago, Deadringers.9047 said:

I am used to 'beta' meaning 'this is almost release ready. Some minor bugs are known. Some other minor bugs will be found by you.'

This is more like git nightly build.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

Thanks. It turned out that I and most of my guildmates were placed on the right shard/world/server this time around. Only two of our guildies got misplaced and the guild leaders are working with them to get that corrected by Anet. One piece of unrelated feedback - Whew, the population was heavy in WvW this morning! Our squad filled up to fifty fast and we had to start a sidecar squad to handle the overflow. There were off and on queues on all our maps all morning and the enemy zergs were as big as ours or bigger. There was tons of fights with all the attacking and defending going on. I guess the heavy population flow was a result of both the beta and part of the WvW rush week happening at the same time.

10 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

As with previous World Restructuring betas, if you would like to be on the same team as your guild

I'm a World vs World player.
I play on a WORLD!
A world with many people from many guilds that we've been on since launch.
I want to be on the same team as my WORLD!

Why is this so difficult for the dev's to comprehend?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Deadringers.9047 said:

oh are you the random that contributes nothing to the conversation except to get internet clout? nice, anyway  I knew the irony and even everyone else who can read at a 3rd grade reading comprehension knows the beta is Bugged and the info on the beta itself was poorly poorly given out to many folks it mattered to. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, KRNelson.9863 said:

There is an intersection between "User Error" and "Instructions Unclear". 

I think it's a bit of both in my case I thought I did stuff right and thought Anet would put actual information out there if it was a procedural thing but I was wrong but I still don't understand why it split guilds up like it did. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

50 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Thanks. It turned out that I and most of my guildmates were placed on the right shard/world/server this time around. Only two of our guildies got misplaced and the guild leaders are working with them to get that corrected by Anet. One piece of unrelated feedback - Whew, the population was heavy in WvW this morning! Our squad filled up to fifty fast and we had to start a sidecar squad to handle the overflow. There were off and on queues on all our maps all morning and the enemy zergs were as big as ours or bigger. There was tons of fights with all the attacking and defending going on. I guess the heavy population flow was a result of both the beta and part of the WvW rush week happening at the same time.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. cluster I was in couldn't even build catapults. I am jealous of your luck with this beta xD

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Zepharos.5860 said:

Sounds like user error

• Confused 2

I don't think world restructuring is ever going to happen. I don't think Anet CAN do it. How many betas is this? Seven? Eight? The original bugs are all still there, and the ONE thing that's supposed to work (let us play with our guildmates) isn't. I literally don't think they have the knowhow/ability/dev time to implement this. And it's dishonest of them to keep promising something they're not going to deliver.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I have to admit I am confused why this is a system they are testing live.

I fully understand I may have always had a misconception here....

But 'betas' are typically done in testing environments in my experience.   Not in a live situation where it will negatively impact your customer base.   Maybe they wouldn't have the population for a actual test server....

But essentially what this means is ruining a portion of the game (for some, the only part of the game they play) for 2 - 4 weeks... seemingly arbitrarily.

I am not unaware of the problem they are trying to resolve.   But I would think NOT breaking the current parts of the system that do work would be paramount.

Even further, I would believe that allowing people to play with their friends should be the highest priority...    And while I don't know if it worked for anyone...   In my case (and evident from the many posts flooding these forums) that was the main thing that was negatively effected...  I cant enjoy time playing with my small group of friends.

I already paid real money to transfer servers to enjoy playing with my friends.    Now I need to go through arbitrary hurdles that are very poorly announced and detailed, to sign up for a 'chance' to be able to play with my friend for the next 4 weeks?   I mean what?

Did Anet take a lesson from Asian mobile games and want to add a 'gacha' like randomization to whether I can enjoy time with friends on their game or not?

I mean maybe in a months time I might get lucky (if I go out of my way, apply to a specific guild, make sure my friend does that same, and then ensure everything is set up just right) and I might be placed with my friend?   This of course is assuming there arn't any bugs or problems that prevent that convoluted process in the first place... or the fact you may just unluckily be last in line and split from your community in the first place.

What a absolute disaster.

As a casual, maybe my voice carries less weight.   But at this point the current system of WvW, despite its problems, is far superior to the current garbage beta that robs the entire reason of playing the game from its consumers in the first place.

Edited by FrogBiscuit.6925
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, DeWolfe.2174 said:

I'm a World vs World player.
I play on a WORLD!
A world with many people from many guilds that we've been on since launch.
I want to be on the same team as my WORLD!

Why is this so difficult for the dev's to comprehend?

There is a workaround which won't include your entire server but could encompass a significant part of it. My WvW guild worked with several other guilds, some on our server, some on other servers, that wanted to play together in this beta. The collective leadership set up an Alliance guild which all those who wanted to play together could join. The limit is 500 members of course, which is why this workaround couldn't include your whole world. Our Alliance guild has 445 members right now though and that's a lot of friends who get to run in WvW together these next three weeks.