Could engineer become able to switch weapons?

andreiblue.8231

Look at it this way: the reason engineer and its professions cant switch weapons is because of kits, but the deal about kits is that they are OPTIONAL. They arent a core part of the class like the attunements of the elementalist or the gunsaber of the bladesworn. Being forced to use only one set of weapon sucks, most kits arent useful and unlike elementalist you dont even have much versatility with your weapon skills and kits.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

How about no. Main reason I picked Engi was because it has no weapon swap. I think weapon swapping in general looks stupid as hell animation wise. So, I main both Engi and Ele because they don't allow weapon swapping. I barely contain my annoyance at kit swapping(has gotten better), but I at least know that my twin pistols are my main weapon making it feel like a true gunslinger/bounty hunter theme wise. Weapon swapping would ruin that immeasurably. If you want to weapon swap, go play all the other professions that have it. Just leave this kitten idea behind for Engi. I am getting tired of seeing it pop here with people thinking it is some grand idea. When in reality, it would make a lot of us who like engi as is not enjoy it anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

How about no. Main reason I picked Engi was because it has no weapon swap. I think weapon swapping in general looks stupid as hell animation wise. So, I main both Engi and Ele because they don't allow weapon swapping. I barely contain my annoyance at kit swapping(has gotten better), but I at least know that my twin pistols are my main weapon making it feel like a true gunslinger/bounty hunter theme wise. Weapon swapping would ruin that immeasurably. If you want to weapon swap, go play all the other professions that have it. Just leave this kitten idea behind for Engi. I am getting tired of seeing it pop here with people thinking it is some grand idea. When in reality, it would make a lot of us who like engi as is not enjoy it anymore.

I use rifle and hammer and it is annoying that I cant switch it in combat on scrapper where I use only one kit

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

I use rifle and hammer and it is annoying that I cant switch it in combat on scrapper where I use only one kit

And I play Cmech. I am totally fine with just my dual pistols and grenade kit. I would not want to use the mace in a million years since I don't like using maces in this game. I am totally ok not being able to switch to it. I prefer things as they are now. Stinks to be you, but things are fine as they are mostly. I am not saying that the rifle needs some more love again to be used as a primary weapon, but weapon swapping is not the way.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

Just now, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

And I play Cmech. I am totally fine with just my dual pistols and grenade kit. I would not want to use the mace in a million years since I don't like using maces in this game. I am totally ok not being able to switch to it. I prefer things as they are now. Stink to be you, but things are fine as they are mostly. I am not saying that the rifle needs some more love again to be used as a primary weapon, but weapon swapping is not the way.

I remember when I suggested giving alac to scourge a few years ago. Usually my suggestions end up being used so eventually it will stink to be you though I doubt mace will add much dps to the benchmark.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, andreiblue.8231 said:

I remember when I suggested giving alac to scourge a few years ago. Usually my suggestions end up being used so eventually it will stink to be you though I doubt mace will add much dps to the benchmark.

Yeah, I sincerely doubt that. Engi was not built with weapon swap in mind. It would totally skew the kit balance as well with how they operate making it much more a headache. But you can continue to believe in yourself that will come to pass all you want. 🙂  I will be here with popcorn waiting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

It isn't just about kits specifically. The principle is that engineer has stronger utility skills in general to offset the lack of weaponswap - if you're not taking kits, you're taking utility skills that are better for what you're planning to do than a kit would be. This is why, for example, mechanist signets do so much. Granted, there are some engineer utilities that have fallen behind, but at least in theory a kitless build isn't supposed to be so much better than a build with kits that weaponswap is needed to compensate.

• Confused 5

10 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Look at it this way: the reason engineer and its professions cant switch weapons is because of kits, but the deal about kits is that they are OPTIONAL. They arent a core part of the class like the attunements of the elementalist or the gunsaber of the bladesworn. Being forced to use only one set of weapon sucks, most kits arent useful and unlike elementalist you dont even have much versatility with your weapon skills and kits.

The solution to all this is simple, buff underperforming kits/weapons. If you want to think a little bit out of the box you could potentially say to introduce some kind of buff to weapon skills when no kit is used or something along these lines. 

No weapon-swap is part of the identity of the profession, if it was that big of an issue it would have been a thing already.

Edited by jason.1083
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

The solution to all this is simple, buff underperforming kits/weapons. If you want to think a little bit out of the box you could potentially say to introduce some kind of buff to weapon skills when no kit is used or something along these lines. 

No weapon-swap is part of the identity of the profession, if it was that big of an issue it would have been a thing already.

You sacrificie an utility to be able to take a kit and how is it part of its identity? It was understandable (kinda) when it had only a few weapons, but now it has access to all elite spec weapons and shortbow, 4 more weapons than it had on release.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Yeah, I sincerely doubt that. Engi was not built with weapon swap in mind. It would totally skew the kit balance as well with how they operate making it much more a headache. But you can continue to believe in yourself that will come to pass all you want. 🙂  I will be here with popcorn waiting.

And probably drop the popcorn gasping when they announce they will do that xD The same happened when they announced making heal alac scourge a thing and it will happen to this too. Engineer had only 4 weapon types when released, now it will have double the amount, it makes sense to become able go weapon swap. The least they will do is add a kit that lets you weapon swap.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

You sacrificie an utility to be able to take a kit and how is it part of its identity? It was understandable (kinda) when it had only a few weapons, but now it has access to all elite spec weapons and shortbow, 4 more weapons than it had on release.

See, that's one of the things that was explained in the linked thread. You're not sacrificing anything because engineer has a toolbelt for a reason. Your utility skills are doubled, the profession is made with no weapon swap in mind. You're just trying to double dip now by keeping "weapon swap compensations" AND still wanting to get weapon swap back on top of it. That change wouldn't make any sense. If you want weapon swap more than double utility slots in the form of toolbelt skills, play one of the other 8 classes (or 7, if you don't want to count ele here for similar reasons).

8 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

The least they will do is add a kit that lets you weapon swap.

Kits are the weapon swap.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

The only acceptable weaponswap i would consider is if they made us choose a kit as our class mechanic as the weaponswap, and shoved the utility belt skills into our utility slots.

Other than that, no. Weaponswap as a concept is already awful to begin with, and half of the problems this game has could be attributed to it ( i'll argue the other half is the terrible boon/condition system ). I play engineer both for the aesthetics and also to get away from that terrible system.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/15/2024 at 4:34 PM, andreiblue.8231 said:

And probably drop the popcorn gasping when they announce they will do that xD The same happened when they announced making heal alac scourge a thing and it will happen to this too. Engineer had only 4 weapon types when released, now it will have double the amount, it makes sense to become able go weapon swap. The least they will do is add a kit that lets you weapon swap.

Stopped clocks are right twice a day. I've made a lot of suggestions over the years, even back before GW2 even released. Some of the ideas I've brought up were later implemented, in some cases despite a lot of people opposing them at the time. Many weren't. Those that were might simply have been convergent thinking rather than my ideas having even an iota of influence. Just because you got it right once, or even a few times, doesn't mean you have some mystical connection with ArenaNet that means that all of your ideas will go through.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

I feel exactly the same. I hate weapon swapping, and was extremely disappointment when they took the easy way out and gave Rev weapon swap instead of actually balancing the class. One of the only reasons I still play this game after a decade is exactly because I can play a class without weapon swap. If I wanted weapon swap, I'd play the numerous other classes that have it.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

You could just not equip a second set. But moreover, elementalist's attunement arm rings bother me so much I can't play the class. I guess we all have our own issues

• Confused 2

On 1/15/2024 at 4:04 AM, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

What the hell kinda comment is this...If you dont wana swap weapons then dont. Why take it away from everyone else? If weapon swap was brought in for engi's it wouldn't even effect you.

+1 for engi weapon swap!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, calva.2914 said:

What the hell kinda comment is this...If you dont wana swap weapons then dont. Why take it away from everyone else? If weapon swap was brought in for engi's it wouldn't even effect you.

+1 for engi weapon swap!

It would almost definitely affect all engi players, because it's most likely to cause a mass nerf to everything else, weapons, kits, toolbelt skills etc.

Plus if I know one thing about Anet is that when they deliver player requests they do it in such a way to make those players regret their decision, Turtle is a great example of that. So if they do give engi weapon swap it will have something like 45 seconds CD or something ridiculous like that.

Imo adding a second weapon slot all together was a mistake (Engi used to not have a second weapon slot at all in case you don't know). It's reinforcing players to keep asking for a swap... I don't even acknowledge its existence even if I have a legendary I could plug in there, I prefer to have it sitting in my armory.

As it stands now even a kitless build is viable in most situations so a weaponswap will probably just add more buttons to press and the rest will be tuned down so the damage/healing/utility will end up being the same.

• Like 3

Wait you guys actually use something other than the flame thrower?? BURN!!! BWAHAHAHA. 

And yeah I'm also a no weapon swap lover. It's ok but I always seem to wind up swapping my weapon when I don't want to playing other classes. Like sigh why did I hit that hot key? now I have to wait to switch back.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

It would almost definitely affect all engi players, because it's most likely to cause a mass nerf to everything else, weapons, kits, toolbelt skills etc.

This I can fully agree would happen 100%. Thats why (I think) many players not that not want weapon swap but is afraid of nerfs.

• Confused 2

Why do people keep asking for weapon swap? WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH WEAPONS FOR WEAPON SWAP TO BE EFFECTIVE. The only condi weapon set we have is P/P, only support is Mace/Sh, leaving three sets of Rifle, Sword, Hammer. Of these only Rifle and Hammer are 2 handed, and we don't have a valid power based offhand. And rifle has been nerfed to oblivion. Meaning only hammer is the good power weapon now. So how exactly does weapon swap benefit any of these weapons??

Edited by Aravind.9610
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Aravind.9610 said:

Why do people keep asking for weapon swap? WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH WEAPONS FOR WEAPON SWAP TO BE EFFECTIVE. The only condi weapon set we have is P/P, only support is Mace/Sh, leaving three sets of Rifle, Sword, Hammer. Of these only Rifle and Hammer are 2 handed, and we don't have a valid power based offhand. And rifle has been nerfed to oblivion. Meaning only hammer is the good power weapon now. So how exactly does weapon swap benefit any of these weapons??

But there is kits.

Will still always be in favour of the engineer having a “free” kit instead of secondary OOC weapons. Skills could still be more kits of course. You loose the second sigil set OOC swap true. But in turn you get another skill and your setup would be weapon/kit + heal + 3 skills + elite.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Aravind.9610 said:

Rifle isnt a power damage only weapon, it has some mobility and both soft and hard cc which make it useful in all game modes. I agree engineer should get access to more weapons though, the offhand weapons it has dont pair very well with sword imo

• Confused 2