Im confused about Alliance

7 hours ago, Melancholy Forever.3965 said:

When is Alliance finally set up? For some unknown reasons, my brain thought it should be the actual system now, but its not?

Well "Alliances" is now delayed on the backburner.

"World Restructuring" was the three week beta we had in Jan, it hasn't been fully released, and we don't know the current status of it, whether it's ready for release soon or for another beta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Melancholy Forever.3965 said:

When is Alliance finally set up? For some unknown reasons, my brain thought it should be the actual system now, but its not?

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

"World Restructuring" was the three week beta we had in Jan, it hasn't been fully released, and we don't know the current status of it, whether it's ready for release soon or for another beta.

Pretty much this. Alliances they don't have finished and were testing the idea of are community guilds pretty much the same thing. If so how can they work that in to allow guilds to link and how does that impact the sorting logic. 

Based on third party interviews they are also trying to figure out how to handle these communities and what form that might take versus the Alliance logic that was one guild would act as an administrator/manager to the other guilds in the group.  

19 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

I didn't realise that Alliances actually got replaced with this World Restructuring. I thought it was just another name for Alliances but then I'm still not too clear on what the differences actually are between the two. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I didn't realise that Alliances actually got replaced with this World Restructuring. I thought it was just another name for Alliances but then I'm still not too clear on what the differences actually are between the two. 

Never got replaced. WR was always the core system while alliances was an organisational function for WR.

People mixing them together are basically saying l oh I thought LFG was the same as WvW.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Dawdler already covered it. 

World Restructuring is the act of taking all our existing servers and replacing them with either more or less numbers of servers, in a factor of three, to spread out the population into something that might have more balanced numbers in various attributes. These could be play hours, numbers, time zone coverage, tags and other various data points Anet might be trying to capture. This system would allow for both player counts decreasing over time or increasing. The cap on a server has not been stated, but what was stated was that no max cap Guild (500) nor max cap Alliance (500) would not be a majority of a given server. 

The Alliance logic, that was a subsystem within the WR project, would allow Guilds that were less than the 500 to link up under a unifying guild up to the 500 player cap.

We never reached any Alliance betas since the UI and the options to link weren't ever released. A number of servers though saw Alliances as nothing more than Community Guilds so they used one of their Guild slots to create a Community Guild for their server and grouped up. Anet seeing this decided do they need to figure out the Alliance logic before going live or can they just use the Community idea to stand in for the Alliance. All of the betas so far have been to test the sorting logic and the data they have been collecting week by week. Remember the player attributes are stored and then those a rolled up into either a Guild's numbers or an Alliance's numbers for sorting purposes. Anet has stated via third party interviews that they are trying to figure out how to allow more disparate Guilds still link up under an Alliance since players may not have an open Guild slot but they wanted to employ logic that they have so far so that they could get more tests going in refining the attributes that could used to define a match and make better ones.

So to that end, no Alliances were a subset of the WR project and we haven't actually seen them so far. Its just that people intermix the names but they were not the same thing.

• Thanks 2