Permanent 1v1 mode

I believe Anet should institute a permanent 1v1 game mode in PvP. Why? Because I like 1v1s. Also the 1v1 combat in this game is phenomenal and I want a way to engage with it that isn’t Jerry rigging other styles of PvP. 

that’s is all.

edit: way it could be implemented:

first to three wins, rounds have a timer. If timer expires the round is a draw.

this would also give the option for fairly quick PvP matches. 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

33 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

I wonder how this arena would look and what would be the goal. Like not only letting it determine on deadmatch but some other ways to outplay openent for winning. Maybe some new arena mechanics that can inspire pvp overall

My thoughts are take some of the points that exist, then chop away the rest of the map, or just use 2v2 maps, though there’s too much terrain in those for my taste in a 1v1 map, personally. They have to be small to prevent permanent kiting, so like the mid point of eternal collesium with both platforms and the four pillars would be a good example. 

another benefit of 1v1s: queue times would be very fast until you reach really high tiers because it’s just 1 for 1. Could even add 1v1 tournaments because they’d be way more engaging to walk than the epileptic cluster duck that is 5v5. 

also I want 1v1s, which is the biggest reason. Forget justification, I want it, that’s my reason. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Korendil.5934 said:

This wouldn't work. The game isn't balanced around 1v1, and all it would do is highlight that imbalance. The whine would be unprecedented, and the forums will buckle from all the salt.

Then we shall fight in the salt!

edit: the game is t balanced around 2v2 either and people like 2v2, I don’t know why balance should be a limiting factor other than not wanting to ignore forum posts. Forget balance and reason for a minute, do you think you would have fun in such a game mode? Because at the end of the day it’s a game and that’s what matters

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, oscuro.9720 said:

My thoughts are take some of the points that exist, then chop away the rest of the map, or just use 2v2 maps, though there’s too much terrain in those for my taste in a 1v1 map, personally. They have to be small to prevent permanent kiting, so like the mid point of eternal collesium with both platforms and the four pillars would be a good example. 

another benefit of 1v1s: queue times would be very fast until you reach really high tiers because it’s just 1 for 1. Could even add 1v1 tournaments because they’d be way more engaging to walk than the epileptic cluster duck that is 5v5. 

also I want 1v1s, which is the biggest reason. Forget justification, I want it, that’s my reason. 

unless you get 2 bunker builds 😶 

• Haha 3

Draw doesn't make sense. Just do it like Tekken where lower health % at the end of the timer loses.

Following changes would also be preferred:

• Increase revealed debuff duration by 100%
  • Reduce all sources of endurance by 25%
  • Reduce healing/barrier by 20% and cap heals to 200% of your health bar with maximum health reflecting that down to 50%: If you heal 4% of max health then your max health will be 99% of the original amount, if maximum of 200% then it will be 50% and you cannot heal anymore.

Why is max HP reduction needed? So there is clear winner at the end and you can't cheese win just by healing final second. It also works as indicator for how close you or your enemy is to the healing cap.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

unless you get 2 bunker builds 😶 

Stalemate, 3 stalemates and the duels are a draw 😉 no rewards for draw. Idk how long the timer should be. 

im not planning on playing a bunker build, so thats their problem, not mine 😂

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Riba.3271 said:

Draw doesn't make sense. Just do it like Tekken where lower health % at the end of the timer loses.

Following changes would also be preferred:

• Increase revealed debuff duration by 100%
  • Reduce all sources of endurance by 25%
  • Reduce healing/barrier by 20% and cap heals to 200% of your health bar with maximum health reflecting that down to 50%: If you heal 4% of max health then your max health will be 99% of the original amount, if maximum of 200% then it will be 50% and you cannot heal anymore.

Why is max HP reduction needed? So there is clear winner at the end and you can't cheese win just by healing final second. It also works as indicator for how close you or your enemy is to the healing cap.

I don’t like that because health can fluctuate so wildly in this game and you’d get people trying to play for health late in the round. Granted this is my opinion, you’re free to disagree. Any mode under most any rules would be preferable to none for me 🙂 

I think you’re trying to make the secondary changes just to force the lower health rule to apply. Again, I wouldn’t mind, but I think a draw mechanic that can void the ability to win a game would be better motivation (5 matches, once there’s 3 draws, the match is over and no one wins)

again, just my opinions, everyone is going to have different views 🙂 

Edited by oscuro.9720

3 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I think you’re trying to make the secondary changes just to force the lower health rule to apply. Again, I wouldn’t mind, but I think a draw mechanic that can void the ability to win a game would be better motivation (5 matches, once there’s 3 draws, the match is over and no one wins)

If you don't make any changes then people will opt for unkillable builds just to have only Draws and Wins on their record. Draw = No rating lost, Wins = Rating gained.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Riba.3271 said:

If you don't make any changes then people will opt for unkillable builds just to have only Draws and Wins on their record. Draw = No rating lost, Wins = Rating gained.

Hmm, that’s a good point. Perhaps draw is a slight penalty? Or you could 3 consecutive draws is a draw, otherwise it goes to whomever has the most wins at the end (so a 2-0-3 score would still result in you winning), and have all draws be negative penalties? Then have “ties” instead of draws so a 2-2-1 variation is no reward or slight positive, since there’s good kill function but not sufficient time to win.

this would end up with: 

3 wins = win (biggest reward)

2-1-2 = “win” (slightly smaller than a 3x)

2-2-1 = “tie” (very slight positive reward, like winning a match when your in plat 3 small)

1-1-3 = “tie” (literally 0 reward)

1-0-4 = “win” (0 reward)

0-0-3 = “draw” (slight negative reward)

I’m probably missing a permutation or two, but you get the point. It could be balanced so that bunker builds don’t really make much progress ratings wise solely on the win combinations. Literally just a set value for a win combination, you don’t need whatever kind of formula they have running in the background for 5v5. Up or down a set amount based on final score. 

I don’t know, I’m not a game designer, I just know that a best of 5, 1v1 mode would be fun and is something I want 😂

I love and hate the idea of having more queues for XvX matches. The population is so low that people are discussing merging the existing ones like ranked and unranked, imagine introducing new ones? But the combat gameplay indeed has a lot of potential, especially if some environment mechanics would be added to these modes to prevent bunkering/long lasting matches and promote build diversity beyond glass cannon/bruiser.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I believe Anet should institute a permanent 1v1 game mode in PvP. Why? Because I like 1v1s. Also the 1v1 combat in this game is phenomenal and I want a way to engage with it that isn’t Jerry rigging other styles of PvP. 

that’s is all.

edit: way it could be implemented:

first to three wins, rounds have a timer. If timer expires the round is a draw.

this would also give the option for fairly quick PvP matches. 

No...just no....absolutely no...just no kittening way!

The GW2 playerbase is already super atrociously toxic AF! And  a dozen nerf threads  are created as soon as a "self-entitled" pro player loses a 1v1 fight with the only single build they can play. The last thing we need is a gamemode that further exacerbates the prima donna behaviour....it would be like 200 x nerf threads every single hour every day of the week.

The worst idea ever in last few months! This is a MMO not Street Fighter 2 , there are dozen of buids combos and yes your ( (generally speaking to whole player base) "uber pro skill build", copied from metabattle or from some youtube video, it's bound to be "cheesed" by some other spec.

All stop with this ego trip non-sense, no matter how much people want to pat themselves on the shoulders, this is a MMO and 80% of any output is build based..the rest is just resemblance of average human coordination in pressing few buttons in sequence.

P.S nothing against the OP...just his idea is cringe as hell....a 1v1 mode in a MMO...it would bury the whole forum in hundreds of nerf threads every single day due to all the bruised egos, who got destroyed by a counter build

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

No...just no....absolutely no...just no kittening way!

The GW2 playerbase is already super atrociously toxic AF! And  a dozen nerf threads  are created as soon as a "self-entitled" pro player loses a 1v1 fight with the only single build they can play. The last thing we need is a gamemode that further exacerbates the prima donna behaviour....it would be like 200 x nerf threads every single hour every day of the week.

The worst idea ever in last few months! This is a MMO not Street Fighter 2 , there are dozen of buids combos and yes your ( (generally speaking to whole player base) "uber pro skill build", copied from metabattle or from some youtube video, it's bound to be "cheesed" by some other spec.

All stop with this ego trip non-sense, no matter how much people want to pat themselves on the shoulders, this is a MMO and 80% of any output is build based..the rest is just resemblance of average human coordination in pressing few buttons in sequence.

P.S nothing against the OP...just his idea is cringe as hell....a 1v1 mode in a MMO...it would bury the whole forum in hundreds of nerf threads every single day due to all the bruised egos, who got destroyed by a counter build

But 1v1 is fun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Duels are very fun. So I agree

i would consider making it not leaderboard. But eh…it’s w.e. Would be nice for the game to be less toxic more friendly/honor related especially when it comes to duels.

That’s true, even just an unranked 1v1 mode would be cool. Or really anything. 1v1 is fun, that’s pretty much where my thought process stopped making this thread 😂

• Like 1

1v1 queue with no rating, and the ability to rematch as much as you like as long as both players agree. The only people getting bent out of shape about it are people that can't handle swallowing their ego if they get dunked on. A 1v1 queue would be a good way to brush up your dueling skills or test dueling builds. If you're focused around team fighting then it's off season 2v2s/3v3s or ever present conquest 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lucentfir.7430 said:

1v1 queue with no rating, and the ability to rematch as much as you like as long as both players agree. The only people getting bent out of shape about it are people that can't handle swallowing their ego if they get dunked on. A 1v1 queue would be a good way to brush up your dueling skills or test dueling builds. If you're focused around team fighting then it's off season 2v2s/3v3s or ever present conquest 

Do we still get pvp track exp? Because then you can help at some hours by queueing the right time against a friend that you let him win to fast gain pvp exp + pvp track exp 😅