Permanent 1v1 mode

12 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

No...just no....absolutely no...just no kittening way!

The GW2 playerbase is already super atrociously toxic AF! And  a dozen nerf threads  are created as soon as a "self-entitled" pro player loses a 1v1 fight with the only single build they can play. The last thing we need is a gamemode that further exacerbates the prima donna behaviour....it would be like 200 x nerf threads every single hour every day of the week.

The worst idea ever in last few months! This is a MMO not Street Fighter 2 , there are dozen of buids combos and yes your ( (generally speaking to whole player base) "uber pro skill build", copied from metabattle or from some youtube video, it's bound to be "cheesed" by some other spec.

All stop with this ego trip non-sense, no matter how much people want to pat themselves on the shoulders, this is a MMO and 80% of any output is build based..the rest is just resemblance of average human coordination in pressing few buttons in sequence.

P.S nothing against the OP...just his idea is cringe as hell....a 1v1 mode in a MMO...it would bury the whole forum in hundreds of nerf threads every single day due to all the bruised egos, who got destroyed by a counter build

i wont lie, I do enjoy the drama duels where people talk trash and everyone in general throws gold on the line, enters spectator mode to see the outcome. It can be bad because it does inflate ego's, cause some toxic people can be good at the game, and dying to a toxic person in a duel is kind of just meh...its not good. You're also totally right about the nerf threads that will pop up as a result.

But just for some reminiscing, there was a time, when duel arenas had population, and personally it was one of the best things about this game, in its history. Everything about it was so natural...there was a self-regulated policing of having honorable duels among large numbers of people...folks would bow to each other, people would space themselves out...trolls were dealt with by spectators...people would talk to each other and have fun while watching others duel, and people would learn from it, and make friends, and because people got to know each other, games just became less toxic because you would often bump into your friends in games. Good times. It would honestly just be really nice if that dynamic was brought less out of the little corner A-net built for it, to be a forefront of the game, and I've advocated for such things in the past (for example, dueling spaces outside of major cities so that new players can duel each other, watch veterans duel, learn about PVP and game mechanics, make new friends and all that.)

Now that the ideas are floating around, it would also be a nice idea for their to just be a spectator option in a 1v1 duel mode...some people just want to watch others duel and hang out and talk with other people and not always grind rating 24/7 on sweaty matches. Add an option to gamble on match outcome while your at it 😉

sigh...I feel like a lot of the charm and positivity in the PVP scene was lost when duel arenas died. Same with Hotjoins, which had a similiar vibe. I won't lie, I felt myself becoming more toxic as time had gone on, grinding away PVP matches solo...there's something very unnatural about it in that sense...which is why i eventually just stopped playing the game because playing ranked all the time just made me more angry. i can't be the only one that experiences that moment of self reflection right? idk.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

i wont lie, I do enjoy the drama duels where people talk trash and everyone in general throws gold on the line, enters spectator mode to see the outcome. It can be bad because it does inflate ego's, cause some toxic people can be good at the game, and dying to a toxic person in a duel is kind of just meh...its not good. You're also totally right about the nerf threads that will pop up as a result.

But just for some reminiscing, there was a time, when duel arenas had population, and personally it was one of the best things about this game, in its history. Everything about it was so natural...there was a self-regulated policing of having honorable duels among large numbers of people...folks would bow to each other, people would space themselves out...trolls were dealt with by spectators...people would talk to each other and have fun while watching others duel, and people would learn from it, and make friends, and because people got to know each other, games just became less toxic because you would often bump into your friends in games. Good times. It would honestly just be really nice if that dynamic was brought less out of the little corner A-net built for it, to be a forefront of the game, and I've advocated for such things in the past (for example, dueling spaces outside of major cities so that new players can duel each other, watch veterans duel, learn about PVP and game mechanics, make new friends and all that.)

Now that the ideas are floating around, it would also be a nice idea for their to just be a spectator option in a 1v1 duel mode...some people just want to watch others duel and hang out and talk with other people and not always grind rating 24/7 on sweaty matches. Add an option to gamble on match outcome while your at it 😉

sigh...I feel like a lot of the charm and positivity in the PVP scene was lost when duel arenas died. Same with Hotjoins, which had a similiar vibe. I won't lie, I felt myself becoming more toxic as time had gone on, grinding away PVP matches solo...there's something very unnatural about it in that sense...which is why i eventually just stopped playing the game because playing ranked all the time just made me more angry. i can't be the only one that experiences that moment of self reflection right? idk.

This is the same reason I don’t play PvP anymore. Solo grinding seasons would wear on me and I’d find myself no longer wanting to play the game at the 100 game mark every season, and I’d usually quit the season shortly after and take a break from gw2 because I decided it’s not worth playing a game that I’m not having fun playing.

I also was around during the time of the duel arenas, I’d run duels at a 1g bet for hours on Sundays and never get bored. The little bit of money on the line, the simplicity of the 1v1, and the fluidity of the combat all made it borderline addicting. There’s always duels in armistice now, but a mode in PvP would be much more fun imo.

Adding betting to them would be awesome, but that’s definitely not everyone’s taste so I get it.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 10:03 PM, oscuro.9720 said:

way it could be implemented:

first to three wins, rounds have a timer. If timer expires the round is a draw.

...In Foefire with the central control point seizable, so if a player constantly runs away to reset its HP ends losing by points (max 50 or 100 x round).

On 2/22/2024 at 2:39 PM, Buran.3796 said:

...In Foefire with the central control point seizable, so if a player constantly runs away to reset its HP ends losing by points (max 50 or 100 x round).

Naa. Permanent combat (infinite combat range). 

In any traditional duel, you can't run away to reset otherwise its forfit. You can still have 1v1 over control over a node, but this is usually to simulate closer to Conquest experience, and really no point in having it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Naa. Permanent combat (infinite combat range). 

In any traditional duel, you can't run away to reset otherwise its forfit. You can still have 1v1 over control over a node, but this is usually to simulate closer to Conquest experience, and really no point in having it.

Every 1 v 1 tournament dudes as Jebro and similar hosted were in Foefire and with some sustain amulets forbiden just for this exact reason: if you take a look at how sometimes in duels in WvW (in the middle of the plain  near the bridge in the south) some people with compromised HP flee away to reset it like they were roaming instead of dueling... Is just shameful.

The center area of Foefire is space more than enough to have a decent duel, and if you plan to constantly poke at range and retreat from your oponent you deserve to lose the control point and eventually the match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

Every 1 v 1 tournament dudes as Jebro and similar hosted were in Foefire and with some sustain amulets forbiden just for this exact reason: if you take a look at how sometimes in duels in WvW (in the middle of the plain  near the bridge in the south) some people with compromised HP flee away to reset it like they were roaming instead of dueling... Is just shameful.

The center area of Foefire is space more than enough to have a decent duel, and if you plan to constantly poke at range and retreat from your oponent you deserve to lose the control point and eventually the match.

no, nobody whos actually dueling resets the fight, because its understood that when you ooc reset, you have forfeited the duel. You know that, they know that, spectators know that.

infinite combat range, means you just straight up can't ooc reset a fight at all. 

There's no need to have a node where points are involved...which should be the whole point of a 1v1 mode to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Flowki.7194 said:

How would 1v1 work for class choice? I think we all know SPB/Blade would be 50% of games, and it would be boring to be forced to pick counter specs just on that fact.

I mean, it’s not like we also have:

-druid or untamed duelist on ranger

-chronomancer or mirage shatter on mesmer 

-deadeye or currently broken axe spam on thief

-reaper on necromancer 

-burst holo or scrapper on engineer

-almost any “meta” build on guardian or elementalist 

-I suppose revenants might struggle a bit, but I’ve also seen some solid power herald and vindicator players out there, too.

I don’t think we would hurt for build and profession diversity in a dueling format.

• Confused 1

More options is never bad.

However, the "balance" has made the gameplay far too restrictive outside of Conquest. It's now too specific to that game mode. And ANET knows this, which is probably a big reason why they never bothered to implement anything else. That obsession with esports at the time really doomed the entirety of spvp.

Some here like to say that spvp is finally very well balanced now. (clueless.jpg) Right, wait until 1v1 becomes official. Suddenly the game is a mess again, with only certain classes being excellent duelists at their core, because thats what the devs wanted for them for conquest, e.g, warrior moment. "My coNquEst role is to never die. Since I lack ports I deserve it."

Edited by Sereath.1428
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Flowki.7194 said:

How would 1v1 work for class choice? I think we all know SPB/Blade would be 50% of games, and it would be boring to be forced to pick counter specs just on that fact.

No class restriction, any build. The game mode can be structured to disincentivize bunkering. Timers for the duels, no rewards for draws, etc. can all make it so bunker builds earn basically nothing by stalemating or turning those 1 win 4 draw victories into Pyrrhic victories that reward them with basically nothing.

a previous user said add a capture point, which I think is a bad idea for this very reason. It would only encourage more bunker builds. Spell is a duelist, and yes, duelists will be better, but there’s far more than spell and, when only having to worry about 1v1, the number of viable builds opens dramatically. Things like staying on point, map mobility, etc. aren’t things you have to balance your build around. Now it’s just you and the other person and one of you comes out a winner or you both lose.

just my 2 cents

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Flowki.7194 said:

I've always been curious if Anet could make it class vs class matchmaking since that's the most fair. That said, the best Thief will be #1, right? So this mode would also need their own class specific leaderboards.

Even Dark and Darker have class specific leaderboards and that game isn't as big as gw2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Etaoin.4362 said:

I mean, it’s not like we also have:

-druid or untamed duelist on ranger

-chronomancer or mirage shatter on mesmer 

-deadeye or currently broken axe spam on thief

-reaper on necromancer 

-burst holo or scrapper on engineer

-almost any “meta” build on guardian or elementalist 

-I suppose revenants might struggle a bit, but I’ve also seen some solid power herald and vindicator players out there, too.

I don’t think we would hurt for build and profession diversity in a dueling format.

Mate, warrior will be 50% rep, its a very strong/reliable duelist on any spec, relative to its difficulty. They are not fun duels. Also, most of the above are not fun duels. DE stealth spam, mesmer confusion/daze spam, scrapper jump burst. What is most effective at top level, and what the masses play will not be the same thing.. and I for once would not play open 1v1 as  it would be full of warriors and stealth jump specs. Also, who wants to duel druid/scourge condi untamed? so fun.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flowki.7194 said:

I for once would not play open 1v1 as  it would be full of warriors and stealth jump specs. Also, who wants to duel druid/scourge condi untamed? so fun.

I mean, that's like, your opinion...man.

No one's asking you to play it?  Apologies: I thought that part of the initial post was to offer another distinct PvP format for players to give options rather than restrict them to the 5v5 capture point format (and occasional 2v2 or 3v3 season or, by some rare alignment of the planets, a round of stronghold in unranked). That has been framing my contributions to this discussion from the start. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I don't disagree that some of those builds can be dull or painful to fight; I also never meant to imply that they would guarantee you a fun duel, just that there are viable builds other than warrior specs for 1v1 out there. Also, since those issues you describe are general combat mechanics, I take it that they're dull or painful across the board in competitive modes, and not uniquely in OP's concept game mode.

I would be curious to see both (a) actual build representation in a 1v1 mode and (b) win ratios for builds. I honestly don't know what those would look like, but the data might have interesting applications down the line. That's a separate matter, though.

Edited: forgot to mention stronghold

Edited by Etaoin.4362
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Etaoin.4362 said:

I mean, that's like, your opinion...man.

No one's asking you to play it?  Apologies: I thought that part of the initial post was to offer another distinct PvP format for players to give options rather than restrict them to the 5v5 capture point format (and occasional 2v2 or 3v3 season or, by some rare alignment of the planets, a round of stronghold in unranked). That has been framing my contributions to this discussion from the start. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I don't disagree that some of those builds can be dull or painful to fight; I also never meant to imply that they would guarantee you a fun duel, just that there are viable builds other than warrior specs for 1v1 out there. Also, since those issues you describe are general combat mechanics, I take it that they're dull or painful across the board in competitive modes, and not uniquely in OP's concept game mode.

I would be curious to see both (a) actual build representation in a 1v1 mode and (b) win ratios for builds. I honestly don't know what those would look like, but the data might have interesting applications down the line. That's a separate matter, though.

Edited: forgot to mention stronghold

Well, if 1v1 was to attract a large playerbase, then opinions matter. SPB, druid, scourge, specter, are all tanky builds that alot of specs would not be able to deal with if locked into a small 1v1 map (that is not fun to fight), and would push the meta into similar builds, or a very few builds that could counter those, but may not counter each other.  If you make the map too big, then such duelist/bunker specs are alienated by being kited all game, and the meta would just move toward highest mobility, with a small hand full of specs dominating. At-least that would be better than dealing with unkillable bunker builds.. and unkillable duelists depending on your spec choice.

sPVP is already polerised in this way, huge sustain bunker/duelist builds, and then high mobility builds like WB/Holo/Thief. Most specs inbetween are in the meat grinder, can't contest against the bunker/duelist builds, can't catch the kite builds. Open 1v1 will simply put that on steriods, and the map size alone will dictate meta of just a few specs (imo).

So the question from my point of view, how do you encourage spec diversity, and avoid 1v1 basicallly becoming SPB vs DE (in a nutshell).

5v5 sPVP is a mess sure, but due to 3 points and mix of specs, you can get around things like core gaurd+scourge+DH on mid.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 10:03 PM, oscuro.9720 said:

I believe Anet should institute a permanent 1v1 game mode in PvP. Why? Because I like 1v1s. Also the 1v1 combat in this game is phenomenal and I want a way to engage with it that isn’t Jerry rigging other styles of PvP. 

that’s is all.

edit: way it could be implemented:

first to three wins, rounds have a timer. If timer expires the round is a draw.

this would also give the option for fairly quick PvP matches. 

sad part is that there is so little players in pvp that if u add perma mods , the others will start having 20 min q times , thats the reason why they rotate mods , cause of they let loose everything on perma mod , you'll spend more time in q than playing the match , its sad tho , once they start paying attention to pvp maybe then they can affoard to add perma mods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Random dude.5089 said:

sad part is that there is so little players in pvp that if u add perma mods , the others will start having 20 min q times , thats the reason why they rotate mods , cause of they let loose everything on perma mod , you'll spend more time in q than playing the match , its sad tho , once they start paying attention to pvp maybe then they can affoard to add perma mods.

That’s a death spiral though. How do you fix a game mode that hasn’t changed for 10 years and only relies on class balance for being “fixed” which is essentially never going to happen.

It doesn’t need to be a ranked mode, unranked 1v1 is fine too, then if it’s popular it can be ranked? Idk.

• Like 1