Is it just me or are Convergences really boring?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate open world content and instanced mass-player content, like Dragon's End, Dragon Storm, Dragonfall, Auric Basin, Tangled Depths, etc
But Convergences feel like an absolute slog, the mobs are all bullet sponges, the champions (and there's a lot of them) don't particularly feel rewarded to kill, and there's no special mechanic, it's just "Kill this 5 champions, then kill this last champion, on 4 different places of the same map, that look exactly the same" and at the end we get a legendary mob that has some mechanics, which is okay
And this seems to be the "core" piece of this expansion other than spamming rifts, if you're looking for the leggy open world armor, it's a shame that it's lacking more love put into it...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

The good old days of having different lanes with different interesting mechanics are gone. No more Tequatl, Triple Trouble, Octovine or Chak Gerent, now it's just forced split to random locations that are exact carbon-copy of each other.

I mean, just look at the SotO metas. Skywatch is just 3 exact platforms. Amnytas is even worse, what's even different between all the 6 rings? But the worst is doing the exact same thing in 4 corners of Convergence.  

There's no reason at all for players to communicate a lane's status now unlike the aforementioned past events, which kills the socializing aspect that made something like Octo fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's one of the very few content of SotO that I don't AFK (unlike metas), so no, I don't find it boring. Rather, I'd say annoying. Sorrow is not even particularly engaging to fight, but it's very frustrating and annoying for the heavy CC he does: the vortex that sucks you in and you can't go to Zojja, the rocks/boulders on the ground that block you and you don't see, that F1 for the leyline that you have to constantly enable/disable. There are many things that are just annoying, but the fight itself is not boring for me. Still, I look forward to the day I'll complete my 100th run, for the achiev. Although now I'm worried ArenaNet will put another tier and ask us to complete 250 convergences in the future.

• Confused 3

It's boring the same way as fighting any boss where the average dps is below the floor. 

A 15min convergence is totally fine. But doing your rotation on the boss without the healthbar moving..... Because like 2 people do more dps then the other 48 combined... Uhhhh... 

Add the complains of said players that pretend them doing 3k dps isn't the problem. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

It's boring the same way as fighting any boss where the average dps is below the floor. 

A 15min convergence is totally fine. But doing your rotation on the boss without the healthbar moving..... Because like 2 people do more dps then the other 48 combined... Uhhhh... 

Add the complains of said players that pretend them doing 3k dps isn't the problem. 

Do a private. I dont think I could do it even once on public.

• Like 1

Yes, extremely boring.  I stopped participating after the first couple of weeks and haven't even bothered completing the special objective for them in the wizard vault.

I thought they were pretty decent at first, but they're so repetitive and the rewards like most everything else in this expansion revolve around legendary armor.  

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Confused 1

I haven't done many of these, about 20 to this point.  All public.   I've done most of my runs just in the past week... and the best time was 23 minutes... the worst was 32.  25-28min was pretty consistent.  Never a fail... I'm wondering is this is more a thing of the past, when it was first introduced?  Tags vs no tags, ascended buffs vs nothing.. doesn't seem to matter too much these days, in my limited experience.

Anyway, a question... you replace the Public casual button-mashers with a Private fancy combo-buttoners, and... what does that do to the time?  Presumably that's the only gain... you get through it quicker...  So how quick would be expected?  15 minutes?  And that's at a cost of what... 5 gold for the stuff to open?  Do the tags recoup that through tips/charges, or is the 10 minute time savings rationale enough?

We're certainly not doing it for the non-essence rewards... The Rune of Holding is the one drop that could justify the time expenditure, if only it dropped with a little more regularity than what I'm seeing... Maybe just poor RNG, but I've got 1 so far... a negligible return for the time investment to date.  

Like everyone, I am running these for the gain in Essences... and if I still need them as I progress towards the armor requirements, maybe I'll approach 100 runs for the achieve and ascended weapon box.  I sure hope not; 50 hours of my life spent on that single instanced event borders on cruel... But all part of the grind, which loops back to OP's point... Just about everything in GW2 is about the repetition, the grind... Either repetition within events and instances, and then repetitions of the events themselves for whatever the ultimate goal of that particular event.   I don't love it, as some elements are more enjoyable than others, but not sure it's very different from the majority of the game content.

The one Convergence they gave us can be. There's just not much to do in them and the loot is very one dimensional. The bosses are just a visual noise mess - it really doesn't matter which you get. They need more variety in the content and more uses for the essences.

• Confused 1