Forgotten Lore &/or Unused Threads

shinkamalei.2574

5 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

Aka Braham's Love Interest whose fate remains unknown. While we all know a large portion of guild wars hates braham, I would love to know what became of her.

She ran off with a fur merchant or something in Hoelbrak. The thought was that she was kidnapped along with the other homesteaders in Cragstead, but she had actually just run off to Hoelbrak. Then, Braham went and found her and that bold act convinced her to return, until she eventually got bored and went out to explore the world once again.

The original season 1 "relationship" was a somewhat off-putting dynamic that painted Ottilia as Braham's ditzy and totally uninterested crush who didn't care about her family or about Braham's heroism. Not a flattering depiction of a female character for such a modern game, imo.

They shored it up somewhat with the re-release, depicting her as someone Braham had a genuine emotional connection with who had helped him process some of his childhood trauma.

Not a character I'm interested in seeing again, really.

Braham and Myrun have much better chemistry.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

Aka Braham's Love Interest whose fate remains unknown. While we all know a large portion of guild wars hates braham, I would love to know what became of her.

Doubt we'll get much more about her, since it sounds like she was rewritten to be more of a supporting friend than a love interest during the re-release of LWS1:

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

Because my guild is doing another trivia night, I found out about

• Ottilia

Her fate is even more unknown than the original, since besides the contradictory rewrite*, unlike the original releases, in this version with rewrites it's never even clarified if she survived the events of Flame and Frost.

Spoiler

* The contradiction is two-fold. First is that she was rewritten to have become some sort of therapist that "helped Braham" with his mother issues, but all his attitude towards Eir in the entire season is left untouched, or even worse than before. Second is that although Braham was dumped before the story instead of after with the rewrite, he pines over Ottilia to the point of trying to writing cringy teenage poetry for her - an addition made with the rewrites at that! The rewrites that made it so she dumped him before and doesn't even confirm her survival while he's writing these poems!

Personally I loved the original writing (and will fully admit I am bias because at the time I had just recovered from a very similar toxic relationship) and am very disappointed they felt the need to retract this. Because this rewrite also completely nullified Braham's entire motivation and call to action. The reason he joined in Flame and Frost was to rescue Ottilia and others from Cragstead; the reason he left Cragstead was because of Ottilia and how she dumped him; this led him to joining Rox and visiting Divinity's Reach during the jubilee and getting involved in Scarlet. Without that, he's just... there. For no real reason other than hanging out with Rox.

And there was a lot of dialogue between Braham and Rox about this - his feelings over Ottilia and how he steadily got over it during the season, how he saw Rox as a new family that was helping him get over that loss, and how Rox continuing to try to join Rytlock's warband felt like betrayal over that, and his need to overcome that. This also tied into how Braham and Taimi getting to relate like siblings leading to Rox's jealousy in LWS2. (This also was tied heavily into why people thought Braham and Rox were going to end up a thing... Take that for what you will.) While it still "works" without Ottilia, that inciting incident is lessened and he's just joined because of course he joined, he had a major role in all later storylines except PoF! It took away some of his agency and character development, just because .

TL;DR

Bobby Stein says Ottilai was "irrelevant to his arc and had no real substance." But I firmly say he was wrong. It was the inciting incident that led to his involvement in the rest of the season after Flame and Frost, and was a key element in his and Rox's friendship. While it "still works" without, it loses depth - like how the Avengers movie still works with the scenes of the waitress in the beginning and climax moments of the movie having been cut out, but it loses a lot of depth at the same time.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

At some point in time, Magdaer and Sohothin were given by the gods as gifts to the Ascalonian royal line to ensure continued peace. Over time, Ascalonians began crafting duplicates of these two blades, the Fiery Dragon Swords.

In the concluding battle of the charr invasion of Ascalon in 1090 AE, King Adelbern cast the Foefire, an extremely powerful spell formulated by the Six themselves that wiped out the city's invaders and raised the fallen Ascalon Army into spectral undeath, shattering Magdaer in the process. It is said that if either Magdaer or Sohothin returns to Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful king of Ascalon, then the Ascalonian spirits will finally be put to rest.

In 1325 AE, Eir Stegalkin retrieved Magdaer from the Ascalonian Catacombs, intending to have it reforged for Logan Thackeray. The sword has not been seen since.

Fix it

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:55 PM, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

At some point in time, Magdaer and Sohothin were given by the gods as gifts to the Ascalonian royal line to ensure continued peace. Over time, Ascalonians began crafting duplicates of these two blades, the Fiery Dragon Swords.

In the concluding battle of the charr invasion of Ascalon in 1090 AE, King Adelbern cast the Foefire, an extremely powerful spell formulated by the Six themselves that wiped out the city's invaders and raised the fallen Ascalon Army into spectral undeath, shattering Magdaer in the process. It is said that if either Magdaer or Sohothin returns to Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful king of Ascalon, then the Ascalonian spirits will finally be put to rest.

In 1325 AE, Eir Stegalkin retrieved Magdaer from the Ascalonian Catacombs, intending to have it reforged for Logan Thackeray. The sword has not been seen since.

Fix it

yeah this is a big one that i heard from a lot of ppl. i would love to know fi they would ever bring it back at it's fully capacity or if it having been broken into pieces has forever damaged it?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

yeah this is a big one that i heard from a lot of ppl. i would love to know fi they would ever bring it back at it's fully capacity or if it having been broken into pieces has forever damaged it?

One interesting bit, is that it is not even clear, if Eir did take the shattered Magdaer from the Catacombs. She went there to retrieve it, Rytlock with players help her out (mostly because it stirred trouble to the surface), but when Rytlock has learned of Eir's goal, he gave her angry temper over that, Eir runs out, and the next we hear of her, she goes to gloriously die on the honor of the waves - kodan sanctuary overrun with jormag's minions. During that dungeon players manages to get Eir to snap back into trying to mend the Destiny's Edge back together, but the topic of the sword was never again mentioned.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

One interesting bit, is that it is not even clear, if Eir did take the shattered Magdaer from the Catacombs. She went there to retrieve it, Rytlock with players help her out (mostly because it stirred trouble to the surface), but when Rytlock has learned of Eir's goal, he gave her angry temper over that, Eir runs out, and the next we hear of her, she goes to gloriously die on the honor of the waves - kodan sanctuary overrun with jormag's minions. During that dungeon players manages to get Eir to snap back into trying to mend the Destiny's Edge back together, but the topic of the sword was never again mentioned.

From memory, the sword is missing in the explorable version.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

well that would imply someone took it, but whether they were ghosts, charr of eir is not stated.

I forget, but I'm pretty sure Eir goes over to the blade and it disappears in the story instance. Ghosts wouldn't move it, as the only thinking ones would take a while to respawn in the catacombs. 

• Confused 1

Eir, the original GW2 shipper. Wanted to reboot the Rytlock and Logan bromance by giving them matching swords. I see the vision. Too bad our girl was GIGA depressed in the GW2 personal story and got discouraged so easily.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 4:47 AM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Arachnia technically isn't canon. The name only appears in the GW/dat file which has a bunch of stuff that never appears in-game, and has been cotradicted by in-game/later sources.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:24 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What's up with Arachnia? 

So, I had never played gw1 but I'm researching for some shenanigans with my guild's trivia nights. My question on this is what other non-canon gods could be canon-ized from that gw.dat file?

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Apostate

That wiki page mentions others but I am curious. Since it's non-canon, would there be any lore to find about it or simply rumors here and there?

15 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

So, I had never played gw1 but I'm researching for some shenanigans with my guild's trivia nights. My question on this is what other non-canon gods could be canon-ized from that gw.dat file?

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Apostate

That wiki page mentions others but I am curious. Since it's non-canon, would there be any lore to find about it or simply rumors here and there?

The gw.dat only mentions Arachnia by name, but pairs her with dead "gods of insectoid beings".

Key word being dead though.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Harvestman's_Lair - this is a link which you'd want to read as that's where the "others" are mentioned. Like the source for Arachnia (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Spider's_Heart), it is not canonized. But not denied by canon either, so it sits in a limbo state of "could be canon, might not be canon" until otherwise stated. Like Utopia lore that's brought up in the Complete Art of Guild Wars book.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The gw.dat only mentions Arachnia by name, but pairs her with dead "gods of insectoid beings".

Key word being dead though.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Harvestman's_Lair - this is a link which you'd want to read as that's where the "others" are mentioned. Like the source for Arachnia 

ah, i see. so then no such luck down that road of possible threads. xD since arachnia was never confirmed, then whomever came before abaddon was a thread that waas never mentioned or maybe felt not needed to mention given kormir absorbing abaddon's power? wait was it all or some?

ty for that link too! 😄

2 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

ah, i see. so then no such luck down that road of possible threads. xD since arachnia was never confirmed, then whomever came before abaddon was a thread that waas never mentioned or maybe felt not needed to mention given kormir absorbing abaddon's power? wait was it all or some?

ty for that link too! 😄

Well, Arachnia wasn't really implied to be part of the line of the six human gods. 

As for Abaddon, we know the Six gods have (at least for some of them) replaced others. The Margonite ingame was the one who mentioned Abaddon replaced somebody else, so whoever that is could be a lore hook, but I don't think it's one they'll explore because that figure is dead.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

ty for that link too! 😄

Arachnia being Abaddon's predecessor is just a player theory that is born just from her corpse being in the Realm of Torment and being a dead god, and literally nothing else.

There is a previous pantheon of gods talked about for the Utopia setting but that's all canceled content so about as canon as Arachnia - this pantheon is only confirmed to include Dwayna's father in a comment by Linsey Murdock which has unfortunately been deleted and not saved by wayback machine. Outside that we only have the fact Abaddon had a predecessor of unknown name, origin, and time of death to go off of - it's pretty likely Balthazar did too, given he had a father who by all accounts should have been mortal given his head was decapitated (both Abaddon's and Balthazar's bodies broke apart upon death, meaning no corpse should survive a Six Gods' demise). But Dhuum, Lyssa, Melandru, and Dwayna may or may not have held predecessors in canon lore. It's all only wild speculation at this point.

As to Kormir and Abaddon's power - it'd be all, for all we know, though it was slow enough that the release of the power stirred Primordus, according to Kormir in Path of Fire.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2024 at 9:07 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Arachnia being Abaddon's predecessor is just a player theory that is born just from her corpse being in the Realm of Torment and being a dead god, and literally nothing else.

There is a previous pantheon of gods talked about for the Utopia setting but that's all canceled content so about as canon as Arachnia - this pantheon is only confirmed to include Dwayna's father in a comment by Linsey Murdock which has unfortunately been deleted and not saved by wayback machine. Outside that we only have the fact Abaddon had a predecessor of unknown name, origin, and time of death to go off of - it's pretty likely Balthazar did too, given he had a father who by all accounts should have been mortal given his head was decapitated (both Abaddon's and Balthazar's bodies broke apart upon death, meaning no corpse should survive a Six Gods' demise). But Dhuum, Lyssa, Melandru, and Dwayna may or may not have held predecessors in canon lore. It's all only wild speculation at this point.

As to Kormir and Abaddon's power - it'd be all, for all we know, though it was slow enough that the release of the power stirred Primordus, according to Kormir in Path of Fire.

😮 this is fascinating. ty! i wish we could get things more... cemented but but thats unlikely. still.. FASCINATING!! ty :DDD im so happy

• Like 1