Class suggestion for easy run through main story and couple of quick queries

Hey guys,

Have got time again to play an mmo and after trying ff14 the msq just isnt working for me (gw2 has spoilt me on voice acting etc) and i am going to start again on gw2 and work through from level 1.

As an older player with numerous health issues i dont have the best reflexes in the world and i am looking for a class /build that has a low skill cap for getting through the main questlines.

I think it used to be power ranger was recommended for the open world  questing but i dont know if things have changed (i own all but the latest expansion).

Could anyone suggest a class/build? - thanks.

Also - i dont own living world season 2, will that impact the story much for me?

Thanks again

Trev

Power Ranger should still be a good choice for story / open world, later Soulbeast once you have the elite spec.

Alternatively Necromancer with minions is really easy, and can get Reaper later on for a simple but powerful elite spec.

Pretty much anything can work for story and open world, but as far as ease of use is concerned those two are probably easiest to start with due to both having a pet or minions to keep enemies distracted from you. Mechanist would also server for this, but there you'd have to unlock the elite spec first after playing through to 80 as engineer. (cause it only gets the ease-of-use mecha pet with the elite spec)

As soon as you hit HoT, the first expansion, the open world + story content gets a bit harder. I'd say necromancer / reaper would be easier there due to the extra tankiness from shroud (is like an extra hp bar) compared to Ranger / Soulbeast which may die a bit more easily in bad situations.

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Thanks 1

Power Ranger - you have always tank (pet comapnion) and you can swap it, and they even could cc enemies. Decent range attack options Lbow and Axe/? Ok signets.

Necro - you could go condi or power, you have second healthbar, you can go minion master, or carapace, or blood vampirism. So there is several option to be tanky.

Power Warrior - some decent options with condition cleanse. ok signets. High base hp/armour

Guardian - core ranged options are a bit meh, but after that your class mechanic triggers even without interaction, so it is low intensity. Greatsword is fun. Or sword.

Core engineer could have a lot of buttons in utility belt. Elementalist could be many buttons. Thief could feel squishy or require dodge.

Mesmer - you could play with mass clone generation, and have some range options, with Chaos and Ilusions. But maybe that is many buttons.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, evilcat.6817 said:

Mesmer - you could play with mass clone generation, and have some range options, with Chaos and Ilusions. But maybe that is many buttons.

I'd stay away from Mesmer if reaction times or simple player dexterity is an issue. It is indeed many buttons.

Celestial Mechanist, celestial Mesmer or celestial Vindicator. The first has a very chill paced gameplay and an excellet pet to tank; the second one can rely entirely on evades while vomiting conditions and the Vindi, albeit requires more kystrokes, is the tankiest thing in the game at the moment. Make your choice and I'll link a build.

10 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

Celestial Mechanist, celestial Mesmer or celestial Vindicator. The first has a very chill paced gameplay and an excellet pet to tank; the second one can rely entirely on evades while vomiting conditions and the Vindi, albeit requires more kystrokes, is the tankiest thing in the game at the moment. Make your choice and I'll link a build.

And all those 3 fail the I start from lvl 1 that the OP want to do.

Necro going into reaper all fine and dandy same with ranger going into soulbeast.

But celestial from level 1 is impossible so dont help the OP at all and mesmer is the worst if not second worst class to level up 1-80.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And all those 3 fail the I start from lvl 1 that the OP want to do.

Necro going into reaper all fine and dandy same with ranger going into soulbeast.

But celestial from level 1 is impossible so dont help the OP at all and mesmer is the worst if not second worst class to level up 1-80.

Fine, then this is my tier list for leveling:

1) Hambow warrior, condition stats (mix up util carrion starts become available ~level 61).

2) Staff Mesmer, same stats (any weapon as secondary set; same stats of choice).

3) Guardian and Necromancer (same stats of choice). Those two have the advantage of having stronger core builds for PvP/WvW.

Builds:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAINlJwSYKMLWJOKP/LfA-DSIUbU9XKtUAJEBRGCZmAO8CAAA-e

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PigAEZlJwuYWsE2IO6L6neA-DSIUbUxDAA-e

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEt/lVwAZdMM2IOuKZrNA-DSRYLhnNqhyIhKIzUwhLBBIc9wr5EfaAA-e

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwEY6MssCGG7j5xOxSZ6bpD-DSIYrS9wfKRqAyUI0pIoEJgCfBEgw51ciPNAA-e

Leveling should take Him 18-25 hours just completing core Tyria maps (minus hearts) or can be done in less than 3 hours doing the Wizzard Vault daily and weekly achievements at PvP. You use 632 AA tokens to buy 79 tomes of knownledge and done.

Won't be faster than that unless He wants to waste money in a level booster...

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 1

No way i would level boost, its about the journey for me, i have forgotten the main story of gw2 and intend to play through all of it.

I just vaguely remember i found some bits difficult especially in heart of thorns. And my health isnt the best hence wanting an easy class.

• Like 1

For your parameters, I highly recommend minion necromancer. You'll want to start with gear that combines condition damage and vitality, and as you level, keep going for those two stats but also favor sets that add a bit of power as well. That +condition, vitality, and power combination is the Carrion stat set others have already mentioned, and can serve you decently well at/around 80.

This is how I'd run your build at level 80, primarily using scepter autoattacks. Although I have Ritualist stats, Carrion will still do okay. Doing so will consistently keep a stream of healing and barrier on you, as well as allowing you to apply (admittedly small) amounts of bleeding compared to other more tryhard builds. That said, it's enormously safe, with up to 33K HP with your minions constantly tanking for you and cleansing you of conditions. Also, if you ever want to do anything more than just autoattack, you do have access to higher level gameplay like corrupting boons and cc.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012

My Mesmers and Eles always go down so fast, can't spam clones fast enough. Too tricky. I mean I can learn to handle it but when I pause from them a long time and play again I feel my paper armor. I wouldn't suggest them to anyone who wants it chill.
If any light armor class, then necro, minion master necro (staff and whatever gives you speed on the second set). Played core story with that (as core necro), it was often chill but it takes so long. -.- Wasn't fun.

Heavy armor class!

Warrior with greatsword and hammer was chill and fun (hammer for cc/knockdown and gs for dmg). Played core story and EoD with that. Core story as core warrior and EoD as spellbreaker. Axe/axe is fun too but since I played that set for years, on another char, I can't bear it anymore.

Guard is ok too. Condition/Burn for a core build takes the enemies down well but sustain is a bit tricky. I died as core condition guard more often than as marauder warrior. So better use cele armor for guard if you want to try that one.

Builds for open world -> metabattle.com or use google. You can search for core Li builds too, those are meant to be easier. If you have no spec yet, search/look for core builds.

@Buran.3796 posting fully-trained Lv80 builds is all well and good, but that's not what was asked for:

On 2/23/2024 at 8:27 AM, trev.1045 said:

i am going to start again on gw2 and work through from level 1.

As an older player with numerous health issues i dont have the best reflexes in the world and i am looking for a class /build that has a low skill cap

Ease-of-use while leveling was explicitly requested, and after 11 years of game power creep Core Mesmer doesn't qualify. I take ease-of-use to include "only occasionally dead," because progressing the story when dead is rather difficult.

18 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

mesmer is the worst if not second worst class to level up 1-80

A fully leveled and geared Mesmer can be a lot of fun to play, but I don't think I've seen any LI builds for Core. Just starting out they're awful, a squishy low-lvl Mesmer takes an awful lot of dirt naps. OP if you want easy to operate with keyboard & mouse and reasonably durable, I'd recommend a Necro Minionmancer up to Lv80, then go straight for the Reaper e-spec.

Or you could just cheese it and play ANet's favorite class, for which the entire game is balanced these days.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
add

58 minutes ago, trev.1045 said:

Thanks, have created a necromancer, i think reaper is available at heart of thorns?

you need the heart of thorns expansion, but you can unlock it with Hero Points from any expansion or partially from core tyria.

as was mentioned above particularly HoT is often experienced as a big jump in difficulty and i still regularly run into dead people at some of the hero point challenges that do involve combat there, so it might be good to join up with some other players for it or call in map chat for someone to lend a hand.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:27 PM, trev.1045 said:

Also - i dont own living world season 2, will that impact the story much for me?

it does not affect your own story options going forward. of course the HoT story follows from it so you might want to look up a video about the plot of that season.

Lots of advice about builds so I won't add anything there.

I felt LWS2 was a very good lead in to HoT so if you quite interested in the story (which it should like you are) then it might be worth picking up. It's also significantly better than the core story (which was a bit overlong and for the second half it felt like Destiny's Edge and Trahearne were more central to the story than the player).

Certainly not essential though.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Confused 1

Core Warrior invested in might generation + "might makes me right" trait is a "immortal build". ... the traits are Strenght + Tatics + Discipline. Could use fully berserker, so you still have damage while few champions can kill you. Also rotation is very chill,,,, just spam GS skills.

Theres scourges build variants "near immortal" too, but is quite expensive/complicated to gear.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

On 2/25/2024 at 12:01 PM, trev.1045 said:

Thanks, have created a necromancer, i think reaper is available at heart of thorns?

as someone with issues similar to yours, discovering the existence of "Low Intensity" builds was a godsend

Necro was indeed quite easy to level just going full minions with a Staff, and transitioning into a LI Reaper build was super easy

My single biggest piece of advice: Don't neglect your Shroud (Profession Skill). It's basically a second HP bar AND the skills in that form do huge damage (doubly so for when you go Reaper)