Whats next..!? more of the same !?

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Not invalidating anything ... again, I'm simply not assuming that 'some people' having a problem with an aspect of the game means it's a game problem. 

Like, SOMEHOW the content we get in SoTO is SOOO much different than what we seen before? No, it's not. It's following a standard formula that we have seen Anet apply for 11 years now. Yet ... NOW it's a problem and before it wasn't. Nope, not buying it. 

If the difference is when i am comparing the content i am playing from different expansions now (instead of comparing the content from new expansion with the content from previous ones i once played), then the difference is in the content, not in me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

32 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If the difference is when i am comparing the content i am playing from different expansions now (instead of comparing the content from new expansion with the content from previous ones i once played), then the difference is in the content, not in me.

I mean, I'm not denying anyone their opinion that the contents are different over different content releases. I actually agree with you. The question here is if that's a game problem. I don't see how it is because I think it's very reasonable for content feel to evolve as with the game.

But that's a bit of the track for this topic because the OP is literally complaining they have nothing to do. That's a 'them' issue ... because what's happened is that they outplayed the content of the game. I mean, think about this way ... a new player doesn't have 'nothing' to do ... so this 'bored, nothing to do' simply can't be a game problem. It's a problem with people reaching the limit of what they are willing to do in the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Like, SOMEHOW the content we get in SoTO is SOOO much different than what we seen before? No, it's not. It's following a standard formula that we have seen Anet apply for 11 years now

No? 

Used to have renown hearts, jumping puzzles, reasons for exploration.  Core, HoT, and PoF were all complete expansions--but PoF started a big change in mounts.  It's not hard to blow through new areas (and old) in minutes now with a Skyscale because it can go anywhere.  This for me is a big change that facilitates boredom--just skip all mechanics (bounce mushrooms, zip lines, etc.) and use a mount.  

SoTO is a living world season sold as an expansion.  That's far different than 11 years ago when the living world not only made permeant changes to the world, but it was also free as long as you logged in once every month or two.    

That is, standard formula is facetious at best because the formula has changed many times now: base game + free LW (core), expac + free LW (HoT-PoF), expac with no LW (EoD), monetized LW as expac (SoTO).  

Essentially what I think OP is getting at is they'd like something other than PvE to be a focus.  Considering the age of the game that's probably unlikely, but who knows--there have been plenty of games to shakeup what they are doing (including GW2 in the LWS1 days).  

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

No? 

Used to have renown hearts, jumping puzzles, reasons for exploration.  Core, HoT, and PoF were all complete expansions--but PoF started a big change in mounts.  It's not hard to blow through new areas (and old) in minutes now with a Skyscale because it can go anywhere.  This for me is a big change that facilitates boredom--just skip all mechanics (bounce mushrooms, zip lines, etc.) and use a mount.  

SoTO is a living world season sold as an expansion.  That's far different than 11 years ago when the living world not only made permeant changes to the world, but it was also free as long as you logged in once every month or two.    

That is, standard formula is facetious at best because the formula has changed many times now: base game + free LW (core), expac + free LW (HoT-PoF), expac with no LW (EoD), monetized LW as expac (SoTO).  

Essentially what I think OP is getting at is they'd like something other than PvE to be a focus.  Considering the age of the game that's probably unlikely, but who knows--there have been plenty of games to shakeup what they are doing (including GW2 in the LWS1 days).  

Well, not really no ... because the things you say we have in SoTo aren't new. For example ... flying mounts allowing you to skip the game ... we had that ever since we got them.

That's why I'm saying we are getting a standard formula here because we have seen what Anet is offering here in past releases. It's just not that big a departure from the last 11 years. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

And yet ... people play this game for 10K+ hours over many years so ... at SOME level, it is immersive, to LOTS of people. Enough people to call GW2 a reasonably successful game. 

This idea that the game doesn't draw people in with it's design, reasonable content breadth or  release cadence is just so faulty because it completely contradicts the reality of that the game is successful, likely for those very factors. 

So yes, please Anet, DO read that post and realize ... you aren't doing something wrong here. Whatever your formula is ... it works and you know it does because you're still here, making money and continuing to develop the game. 

Lots of people consuming something doesn't automatically mean it's high quality. This game, like the rest of the genre, uses rewards, gambling, FOMO and various nasty psychological techniques to  incentivise bringing people back. It would be better if they used decent content a bit more instead of copy pasting and slightly altering pretty much everything.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

56 minutes ago, Bingus.4236 said:

Lots of people consuming something doesn't automatically mean it's high quality. This game, like the rest of the genre, uses rewards, gambling, FOMO and various nasty psychological techniques to  incentivise bringing people back. It would be better if they used decent content a bit more instead of copy pasting and slightly altering pretty much everything.

Sure and nothing I've said sould give you the impression I don't agree that there isn't a correlation between consumption and quality. Yet despite all the variations we have seen in content quality over the game history, it's still successful  and we still have people playing it for 10K+ hours for many years complaining they are bored with nothing to do. So, is that about quality or is that about simply about people fulfilling a level of experience with the game that makes them bored with nothing to do? Like, even if all the content in the game was the highest quality, would that mean anyone playing it never gets bored? I don't think so. 

The problem here is that as people age in the game, they increase the chance they have played the content out so much that nothing Anet can give them within their standard content delivery is all that interesting or compelling  to those people. It's simply unreasonable for people to convince themself that the next thing we get will be better than what we had in the past and that Anet will always deliver content that they want to play that will keep them busy until the next thing.  

Just think about this. If Anet were to say they are releasing an expansion tomorrow, we already know within 70% or more what we are going to get; new maps with events, some mastery lines, strikes, some shinies, achievements .. you know, the stuff we got for the last 3 expansions, 4 living stories, one Saga and whatever else they are calling the last 2 years. So ... Yahoo I guess?

The things that interest veteran players beyond these elements are elite specs and mounts and anything that changes how you think about playing the game because it's THOSE things that make it keep it fresh, EVEN if it's quality is questionable because the players will need to play it to determine that. 

The only thing that you can really do to keep the game fresh if you hit that wall ... is change the reason you play, which is why you see people doing 'white gear' or 'no death' challenges or just training or carrying players in harder content. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Not invalidating anything ... again, I'm simply not assuming that 'some people' having a problem with an aspect of the game means it's a game problem. 

Like, SOMEHOW the content we get in SoTO is SOOO much different than what we seen before? No, it's not. It's following a standard formula that we have seen Anet apply for 11 years now. Yet ... NOW it's a problem and before it wasn't. Nope, not buying it. 

Eh no. Arenanet used to have creative vision in content design/creative design. That has been lacking since the second half of Icebrood Saga already. No new ideas, endless recycling, narrowing of gametypes, simplification of everything/less polish/an immense amount of asset reuse (that was not the case with the Hot expax or the Pof expac).  The last 4 years are not on par with the almost 8 before that. Its obvisous there are a lot less resources/people working on it. Most are with high probability working on mistery game x that has not been presented to the audience yet.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, particlepinata.9865 said:

Eh no. Arenanet used to have creative vision in content design/creative design. That has been lacking since the second half of Icebrood Saga already. No new ideas, endless recycling, narrowing of gametypes, simplification of everything/less polish/an immense amount of asset reuse (that was not the case with the Hot expax or the Pof expac).  The last 4 years are not on par with the almost 8 before that. Its obvisous there are a lot less resources/people working on it. Most are with high probability working on mistery game x that has not been presented to the audience yet.

I don't get you post You apparently disagree but what you are saying here is supporting my point. That content Anet is providing is familiar to us and following a standard formula ... so people get bored and have nothing to do.  

Now to be fair, Anet has made changes to the game. You see it with changes like introducing roles, addition of relics. Older things like mounts, masteries, infusions. These do qualify as new ideas, we have had them in the last 4 years. I believe those are the things we need to keep people interested beyond the standard offerings. I just don't think what we get is enough, or it's not at a level of significance that maintains veteran's interest over content releases. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well, not really no ... because the things you say we have in SoTo aren't new. For example ... flying mounts allowing you to skip the game ... we had that ever since we got them.

That's why I'm saying we are getting a standard formula here because we have seen what Anet is offering here in past releases. It's just not that big a departure from the last 11 years. 

Why do you keep saying '11 years' as if mounts and such were in the game from the start? Mounts were just the first big departure.  Business models are additional large departures.

If there's anything this game does NOT have, it's a 'standard formula'. 

To pull a 'you', apparently they do keep veteran's interest over releases, as we're all here debating how boring the game is.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Zaklex.6308 said:

I'll tell you the problem with why maybe older players don't like the new content, it's because of CHANGE, they don't like the change.  They go back to the old maps because they're familiar and they don't have to learn new ways to play, they are set in their ways and do not want to expand their thinking...that is the problem, the same problem you have with everything: NO ONE LIKES CHANGE, get used to change because it is here to stay.  Nothing can stay the same and survive, that is just the way of it.

What new ways of playing or in what way does one's thinking need to expand for the new content? If anythin the more recent content has required less of both than does older content. The new content isnt about change, its about cheaper, less engaging remakes of old content.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I mean, I'm not denying anyone their opinion that the contents are different over different content releases. I actually agree with you.

No. You do not agree with me, and you actually were denying there were any meaningful changes just in your previous post:

11 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Bolded the relevant part in which you are here clearly mentioning there was no meaningful change between expansions. Which heavily conflicts with what i have experienced.

Sure, the new expansion might use elements that are already known to us, but it uses it in markedly different way. It's like a painting - you can end up with a work of art, or something boring and uninspired, even though you used the same canvas, brush and paints. And while i would not really call earlier GW2 content a work of art, let's just say that SotO is significantly worse qualitywise in both artistic style and technique applied. To me, at least (although clearly i am not alone that has this kind of reaction to it).

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 2/28/2024 at 4:05 AM, Rvoltpt.8453 said:

Im sorry if i come in sounding like bit negative... but i played this game for over 18k hours in the past 7 year or so... and it saddens me to see  how repetitive this game is becoming...

i played this game for over 18k hours in the past 7 year

over 18k hours

it saddens me to see  how repetitive this game is becoming

Well no s***. I doubt there is anything in this world that you could do 18k+ hours and not feel bored and it being repetitive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18K hours in 7 years? I've played 4K hours since the game came out and I already find it repetitive, which is why I take long breaks. I mean I found the leveling process already repetitive, going from one map to another and finding out that it's the same things packaged in a different way. I'm impressed that it took you this long to get bored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Rvoltpt.8453 I gotta also think a bit more love for the actually endgame content (PvP/WvW/Raids/Fractals/Strikes) would be realy awesome ^^. But i mean If you look closely you will notice that 3 out of 5 endgame modes actually get ateast some Updates (Strikes/Fractals/WvW)..... even while they might not be too noticeable (WvW).

But yea the normal main endgame modes for other Games (PvP/Raids) didn't see any real love these days so i get the Frustration ^~^

• Confused 1

On 2/28/2024 at 12:17 PM, Simzani.4318 said:

People are paid good salaries to figure this out, it is not the work of a random dead forum user to design the game or part of it.

I call BS.  The only people who get paid good in this industry are the Execs who fire 15% of the devs per year, and demand more aggressive monetization.   

Plus given the way people complain, you’d think the community would prefer a brain dead forum user over a paid designer. 

Or need I remind folks of the “Anet doesn’t listen to the players” rants?  

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

I work mostly from home, so i have alot of time to play, tho alot of the time, was just " hidle " i did put alot of time into this game and into alot of its content.. but was bored of it after a while, so i try to kinda rotate it.. I know gw2 as alot of stuff to do and they kept hading more strikes and more fractals over time, but that was kinda my all point... its more of the same... there asnt been any new game mode or something diferent for ages... maybe anet dont wanna take risks.. dunno.. but im kinda getting bored that every xpac is just another map to complete with some silly masterys to lvl..

i really wish they up theyre creativity a bit and came up with something " new " that aint in gw2 yet, but that would keep players more enganged over time.. like i mention before new pvp game modes, gvg or other type of missions that would keep guilds engaged with one another.. not just wvw but also yeh... had more stuff to guild halls give more guild misions /activities..

also i wish they make more raids and maybe dungeons for solo and party play. or maybe redo core tyria to look more like the new content, had stuff to the exisiting maps ratheer then spread population even more...

either way its not like im mad or im gona stop playing the game, overhaul im just bored of doing same content over and over again with little to gain from it since i aready got most legendaries i wanted, theres not much to aim for... and i dont quite care much for skins and stuff.. i just enjoy the combat alot in this game and i would like it to have more variety of content to do solo or with friends.

I actualy enjoy the new weapons on most charaters, and i think its very cool of them to try and give us more choices, it sure wont make it easier to balance stuff out, but it still a gg on them in my opinion. I somehow hope one day every class can use any weapon 😛 , make it a bit more like gw1 where you had tons of choices in skills 🙂

Edited by Rvoltpt.8453
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Rvoltpt.8453 said:

I work mostly from home, so i have alot of time to play, tho alot of the time, was just " hidle " i did put alot of time into this game and into alot of its content.. but was bored of it after a while, so i try to kinda rotate it.. I know gw2 as alot of stuff to do and they kept hading more strikes and more fractals over time, but that was kinda my all point... its more of the same... there asnt been any new game mode or something diferent for ages... maybe anet dont wanna take risks.. dunno.. but im kinda getting bored that every xpac is just another map to complete with some silly masterys to lvl..

i really wish they up theyre creativity a bit and came up with something " new " that aint in gw2 yet, but that would keep players more enganged over time.. like i mention before new pvp game modes, gvg or other type of missions that would keep guilds engaged with one another.. not just wvw but also yeh... had more stuff to guild halls give more guild misions /activities..

also i wish they make more raids and maybe dungeons for solo and party play. or maybe redo core tyria to look more like the new content, had stuff to the exisiting maps ratheer then spread population even more...

either way its not like im mad or im gona stop playing the game, overhaul im just borted of doing same content over and over again with little to gain from it since i aready got most legendaries i wanted, theres not much to aim for... and i dont quite care much for skins and stuff.. i just enjoy the combat alot in this game and i would like it to have more variety of content to do solo or with friends.

Well the new borderland wvw got people hated it and it is still the least played borderland of the 3 side borders.

spvp conquest was so bad Anet had to seperate it into its on que due to peoples dislike so it kinda burnt them to both those modes mate.

You really want them to just throw more modes at everything and check what sticks?

Edit

Tho I agree I cant see how they cant recyle more bosses/mini dungeons as strikes/ guild missions.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 2

as a consumer i couldnt care much how they do it... im just trying to point out why im bored... but if they try before and failed and people ddnt like it then maybe fault from who was in charge of the project.. failed comunication wize with  the comunity and easy gave up... they also failed on researching.... with so many games out there to look to, it not hard to tell what would or would not keep player enganged or what people like most or not...

ofc some will always complain... i personaly love all maps my favorite is the desert one 😉 tho i belive it aint entirely a fare one.. but ebg aint either and all others proly got issues too, and i dont hear many complain 🙂

as for pvp i dont entirely deslike the maps even the conquest ones, tho i see why they removed it from ranked 😉  i just get mostly bored of cap point pvp and well arenas is ok tho i deslike some of the maps. again i just wish they had more variety of game modes eveen if they wouldnt go ranked.. i dont care for ranks anyways..

Edited by Rvoltpt.8453
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

If there's anything this game does NOT have, it's a 'standard formula'. 

Well, that's where we disagree. If anyone can predict most of the content and features we will see in an expansion or content release, that defines a standard. When the only part you can't predict is the 'new feature', then it's simply a small exception to that standard. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. You do not agree with me, and you actually were denying there were any meaningful changes just in your previous post:

Bolded the relevant part in which you are here clearly mentioning there was no meaningful change between expansions. Which heavily conflicts with what i have experienced.

My point is that it doesn't make sense for the OP to complain about being bored because he played out the game to his limit. That's not a game problem. If it was a game problem, the game wouldn't be here because no one would be playing it for the same reasons as the OP.  It's simply a sidebar that I think veterans need more changes that impact how the game is played to keep their interests. I'm not going to debate you about your experience with the game. I'm just going to re-iterate that I think it's completely reasonable for the feel of content to evolve with the game or that people won't like everything Anet does with the game. Displeasure with those things is simply a consequence of having preferences based on game experience.

Again, this is all just indication that GW2 is following the MMO lifecycle. Someone plays 18K+ hours and gets bored? TOTALLY expected ... BUT ...  not a game problem. What we need to do is acknowledge that this result is expected. 

Here is the answer to the OP: They ask What's next ... more of the same? The answer is YES, the same things we got in HOT, PoF, EoD, IBS, LS and SoTo. It's very standard content delivery and no one should expecting Anet to deliver a whole whack of completely new features affecting how they play the game to keep them interested beyond the content itself. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I think there is a huge missunderstanding here. Because you think the new Content is for you. But most of the Soto Content is made up for new Player.

The best and fastes Way to get legendary Armor is in Soto, you dont need a kill Proof or a Rank. The best and fastes Way to get a flying Mount is in Soto. It took me like 2 Days , not 48H. All Meta Events in Soto are so easy that you need no one to explain how they work. There is no organisation need it. And on Top of that we got Rift Events on the Core Maps that would be allmost dead, if the Veteran Playerbase would not grind for the new Armor. Its like Arena Net shows you some Sweets and you all fall for it, without understanding whats realy going on. 

There is nothing in this Expansion made for me. The Armor dont looks legendary to me, not even with bling bling it could look good, and iam into that Fashion Wars Game spending all my Gold for Infusions and Gemshop Skins. The legendary Relics is like sombody said before, i only use 4 on 8 diffrent Gear Sets and still got 32 Relics Chests. The new Weapon..., take a look on my Avatar Picture Revenants are one of the big loseres..., i guess i never will use it, and did not need it. I dont Play Strikes so whats left? Right absolute nothing! Oh Wait did i allready said everything is way to easy to get?

Few hours after the release i saw allready sombody wearing the new armor..., few hours... , ok one more thing because i know you. When the Raid Armor comes out it took months to build it Step by Step from Update to Update..., it wars a journy    

Edited by Grinz.4560
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Grinz.4560 said:

I think there is a huge missunderstanding here. Because you think the new Content is for you. But most of the Soto Content is made up for new Player.

The best and fastes Way to get legendary Armor is in Soto, you dont need a kill Proof or a Rank. The best and fastes Way to get a flying Mount is in Soto. It took me like 2 Days , not 48H. All Meta Events in Soto are so easy that you need no one to explain how they work. There is no organisation need it. And on Top of that we got Rift Events on the Core Maps that would be allmost dead, if the Veteran Playerbase would not grind for the new Armor. Its like Arena Net shows you some Sweets and you all fall for it, without understanding whats realy going on. 

There is nothing in this Expansion made for me. The Armor dont looks legendary to me, not even with bling bling it could look good, and iam into that Fashion Wars Game spending all my Gold for Infusions and Gemshop Skins. The legendary Relics is like sombody said before, i only use 4 on 8 diffrent Gear Sets and still got 32 Relics Chests. The new Weapon..., take a look on my Avatar Picture Revenants are one of the big loseres..., i guess i never will use it, and did not need it. I dont Play Strikes so whats left? Right absolute nothing! Oh Wait did i allready said everything is way to easy to get?

Few hours after the release i saw allready sombody wearing the new armor..., few hours... , ok one more thing because i know you. When the Raid Armor comes out it took months to build it Step by Step from Update to Update..., it wars a journy    

They have had 6 months to prepare the materials for the armor so yea it did not take a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

I call BS.  The only people who get paid good in this industry are the Execs who fire 15% of the devs per year, and demand more aggressive monetization.   

Plus given the way people complain, you’d think the community would prefer a brain dead forum user over a paid designer. 

Or need I remind folks of the “Anet doesn’t listen to the players” rants?  

Triple the US median salary will seem like good pay to many people.

• Confused 2