Options to avoid Alcohol? (Relating to Order of Whispers level 40 story)

Hello! I'm a fairly new player and still a bit before this story segment. But I have heard/read that there is a quest when joining the Order of Whispers called "Down the Hatch" which has a mandatory drinking contest. For personal reasons, I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of drinking and it sits badly in my stomach that there is a quest which can only be resolved by drinking. Now, granted, I am aware you can choose a different order and not encounter this situation at all, but I would not want to have a whole story branch sitting behind that quest.

I'm not asking for the drinking game to be removed, I simply would like to request some alternative way of resolving that quest. Similarly, if there is any other quest that goes like this or has mandatory drinking, I'd like some advice on how to avoid them and also suggest to add ways to get around it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 19
  • Sad 1

I think you can not drink and fail the contest without missing out on content or having to deal with harsh consequenses on the story.
I doubt the devs will or are able to rewrite a decade old storystep.
I think LS5 has another episode inolving alcohol but it's not a drinking game or contest, maybe it's even optional. If you don't mind spoiler check Mehdi's Grog or something on the /wiki.
Again, I doubt the devs are able to change anything about it at this point.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Omega.6801 said:

I think you can not drink and fail the contest without missing out on content or having to deal with harsh consequenses on the story.
I doubt the devs will or are able to rewrite a decade old storystep.
I think LS5 has another episode inolving alcohol but it's not a drinking game or contest, maybe it's even optional. If you don't mind spoiler check Mehdi's Grog or something on the /wiki.
Again, I doubt the devs are able to change anything about it at this point.

Re: Medhi's grog: I recall all we did here was collect ingredients that he used to make the brew, which was given to another party. Our character hasn't had to drink alcohol since the personal story I do believe (and even then it's only in some story paths, as OP notes). Any other instance I can think of where my character might have held a mug it wasn't mentioned what was in the mug, so I always head-canoned that he had juice lol

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's not real.

Unfortunately, sometimes that's not how the human brain opperates. Just hope you or someone you love never have to find that out in a more traumatic manner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 11

4 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

Unfortunately, sometimes that's not how the human brain opperates. Just hope you or someone you love never have to find that out in a more traumatic manner.

Having been through a traumatic experience, you either heal and grow past it or you don't and avoiding that pain and or the memories of the experience are surefire ways to never actually heal from such an experience. That just makes the pain last longer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Having been through a traumatic experience, you either heal and grow past it or you don't and avoiding that pain and or the memories of the experience are surefire ways to never actually heal from such an experience. That just makes the pain last longer.

1) Congratulations on your progress.
2) I can't speak for OP and I don't want to make this about the ins and outs of exposure therapy either. But judging from OP's post, they'd rather avoid a topic in-game, and that's fine. If possible, people should be able to chose when, where and how to confront their demons and as long as the work happens/has happened elsewhere, the work doesn't need to happen in-game.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, costepj.5120 said:

For the record, I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of mudering thousands and thousands of sentient beings, but somehow I've managed to overcome my sensibilities in order to enjoy video games..

Incidentally, there's been someone that did whole core map completion (including all the hearts) without killing anything at all. I think he had issues with only few hearts that had to be cheesed in more creative way. All other already included non-killing methods in their standard design.

Now, story is a bit different in that regard.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I'm glad at least some people took my concerns seriously. This topic isnt meant for amusement, its genuine feedback. My problem with alcohol is not particularly that I'm grossed out or traumatized, its merely that I reject it on grounds that its seen as mandatory component for social participation, an attitude some posters have demonstrated here by mocking me for not wanting to do that. I have not even suggested anything drastic, yet people still feel the need to put me down for it.

I would ask why you are bringing this attitude here? Do you not want me to play? Would you rather a new player is booted out of the community than to simply acknowledge that some content is making them more uncomfortable than what you personally think?

I made the topic here because I looked how to give feedback on the game and the arena net team suggested putting it here. And I was curious if anyone else has ever felt this way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Moto.7280 said:

I'm glad at least some people took my concerns seriously. This topic isnt meant for amusement, its genuine feedback. My problem with alcohol is not particularly that I'm grossed out or traumatized, its merely that I reject it on grounds that its seen as mandatory component for social participation, an attitude some posters have demonstrated here by mocking me for not wanting to do that. I have not even suggested anything drastic, yet people still feel the need to put me down for it.

I would ask why you are bringing this attitude here? Do you not want me to play? Would you rather a new player is booted out of the community than to simply acknowledge that some content is making them more uncomfortable than what you personally think?

I made the topic here because I looked how to give feedback on the game and the arena net team suggested putting it here. And I was curious if anyone else has ever felt this way.

Yea only thing you can do is find someone else to start the mission and help them complete it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea only thing you can do is find someone else to start the mission and help them complete it.

This is actually a good idea. Whoever "player 1" is would have to interact with such objects in order to continue the story. Your purpose as "player 2" is to help with the combat.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Moto.7280 said:

I, personally, don't care for how ingrained drinking is in many societies and cultural norms. But the game is rated T for Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol, Violence. You agreed to play the game despite that rating. You're welcome to just avoid the story parts and quests that require drinking, but I think it's unreasonable to ask a game to make changes based around your choice to avoid anything related to alcohol.

Edited by RoseofGilead.8907
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 14
  • Confused 4

Just now, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

I, personally, don't care for how ingrained drinking is in many societies and cultural norms. But the game is rate T for Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol, Violence. You agreed to play the game despite that rating. You're welcome to just avoid the story parts and quests that require drinking, but I think it's unreasonable to ask a game to make changes based around your choice to avoid anything related to alcohol.

Additionally I'm all for head-canon land. Don't necessarily love something in game? Maybe you can sort of "think" your way around it. I mentioned my mesmer preferring his non-booze options earlier, but additionally, I don't think he actually kills as much stuff as the game has us believe we do. I imagine a lot of his interactions with not-so-friendlies often results in them getting knocked out or whatever to await authorities to pick them up rather than having them killed. (Bandits and such for example.) I also like to avoid combat where I can. Mesmers can make themselves invisible and use illusions to trick people into thinking things are or aren't real, so shouldn't be toooo hard to slip past those guards over there... But the game had me kill them because that's what's programmed, right?

Sometimes, you need to get creative if there's parts of the game you don't love but still want to play it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Kiki.9450 said:

Additionally I'm all for head-canon land. Don't necessarily love something in game? Maybe you can sort of "think" your way around it. I mentioned my mesmer preferring his non-booze options earlier, but additionally, I don't think he actually kills as much stuff as the game has us believe we do. I imagine a lot of his interactions with not-so-friendlies often results in them getting knocked out or whatever to await authorities to pick them up rather than having them killed. (Bandits and such for example.) I also like to avoid combat where I can. Mesmers can make themselves invisible and use illusions to trick people into thinking things are or aren't real, so shouldn't be toooo hard to slip past those guards over there... But the game had me kill them because that's what's programmed, right?

Sometimes, you need to get creative if there's parts of the game you don't love but still want to play it.

I completely agree and will often do the same kind of thing. I always hated doing Hemet Nesingwary quests in WoW because he'd send you to kill dozens of animals for trophies. So, when I couldn't avoid those quests, I'd frame it as my character just making it look like I killed them and using some elaborate trickery to get it done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

I completely agree and will often do the same kind of thing. I always hated doing Hemet Nesingwary quests in WoW because he'd send you to kill dozens of animals for trophies. So, when I couldn't avoid those quests, I'd frame it as my character just making it look like I killed them and using some elaborate trickery to get it done.

Yup! Sure, killed the big one to show proof to Nesingwary (he'd always want the horns or whatever), but my hunter would only kill said big one for the meat otherwise, and just sorta... lie his way through having not actually slaughtered thirty others of the species. Responsible hunters don't kill the whole herd, Nesingwary. *shakes head*

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

this is actually a workable solution for me. I'd like more, but it'll do. I hope the community isn't as hostile as this forum and I actually find people who would help me with this when I get to level 40.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5