This is the essence of true guild wars gaming : Creating builds and finding interesting, innovative strategies.

Back in Guild Wars 1, the creation of such builds was called "Gimmicks" and was one of the primary motivations for theory-crafting in the game.

Shout out to these guys for thinking out of the "meta" box and willing to take the chance to try something new despite what others might say.

also lol at 3:30; epic Flamethrower PVD. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

This is the essence of true guild wars gaming : Creating builds and finding interesting, innovative strategies.

Back in Guild Wars 1, the creation of such builds was called "Gimmicks" and was one of the primary motivations for theory-crafting in the game.

Shout out to these guys for thinking out of the "meta" box and willing to take the chance to try something new despite what others might say.

also lol at 3:30; epic Flamethrower PVD. 

Can u imagine that on a IWAY ported do gw2? damage increasing per ally killed/downstate nearby :D

Theres was a mesmer last survivor setup back in gw1 7 mesmers would sacrifice and kill themselvs all the same time killing the entire enemy team :D.

Talking about iway, that would be a interesting mechanic to bring back for warrior.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

4 hours ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Can u imagine that on a IWAY ported do gw2? damage increasing per ally killed/downstate nearby 😄

Theres was a mesmer last survivor setup back in gw1 7 mesmers would sacrifice and kill themselvs all the same time killing the entire enemy team :D.

Talking about iway, that would be a interesting mechanic to bring back for warrior.

It would probably have a similar satisfying feeling of necro corpse explosion in the Diablo games. 

Awesome. Love to see it. Side note, ask yourselves, if people don't cry for engi nerfs because someone made an all-engi zerg and it works, why is it fair that we cry for ele nerfs when someone makes an all-ele PvP group and it works.

It's only bad when ele does it 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, solemn.9608 said:

Awesome. Love to see it. Side note, ask yourselves, if people don't cry for engi nerfs because someone made an all-engi zerg and it works, why is it fair that we cry for ele nerfs when someone makes an all-ele PvP group and it works.

people just forgot what this game is about. Part of the winning of this game is build wars 2, and many thinks builds “don’t change.” In the sense that they have to run the build they were told to run.

so when they fight someone else and they lose to it all the time they feel like “the game isn’t fair” cause they have boxed themselves into a corner of their own making. 

it’s true that some builds are oppressive and anet design is partly to blame for the rigidity for people to create builds (solutions) to solve their problems (the idea that options should exist in the game is a big part of my theme when talking about game balance) 

But instead of seeing that the lack of meaningful options is the reason for their frustration people just say “nerf x! Nerf y, nerf z!” And before you know it, everything in the game gets nerfed and all the options are meaningless.

videos like this are to me the true essence of what guild wars is meant to be and always has been. The invention of your ideas and pitting those ideas against each other and see what wins…then come up with a better invention next time in an endless race to build more and more innovative builds and strategies. 

btw these guys also have an all tempest video which seemed pretty fun too and is worth checking out. There’s probably many of these zerg gimmicks that could exist if people took the chance.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

In the sense that they have to run the build they were told to run.

... Because it's meta.

What's seen in the video has been done over and over and over again, true. And then they go back to meta. Because it takes about 30m for the enemy zergs to realize what's going on, adapt to their bomb and crush them. If it didnt well you wouldnt see the meta.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

What's seen in the video has been done over and over and over again, true.

i guess I'm confused by this sentence: nobody has ever really ran a 50 man holo blob before (it's even in the title of the video). This is the first time i'm seeing this in 6 years. I feel like people imagine that gimmick zerg builds exist but most people don't do them, because it's hard to find players, getting them to play and learn a class, and gearing them up all before being able to just test an idea. In other words, gimmicks don't exist because its a logistical issue with trying to just get the idea off the ground. It's far easier to go to meta-battle, load whatever the meta is, and hop in the game and play with your friends.

That doesn't mean the meta is actually better. It is at some small scale, a good build for a user to play, in the context of a larger group of players. gimmicks are no different and there's a variety of possible ways to "scale up" some build, in the context of large groups of players...like 50 Laser Beams. It's just logistically difficult to get people to test gimmicks, let alone successful ones, since they have to be tested first.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684

1 minute ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

In other words, gimmicks don't exist because its a logistical issue with trying to just get the idea off the ground. 

Agree, but the we will see more as Leggo armor is more wide spread. Before the armory I was working on one leggo set for each weight class due to the ease of theory crafting that it would provide. So true don't think that happened often, but I could see that more in the future. Still surprised haven't run into one of all mechs as people were guessing when the beta for them was running. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Agree, but the we will see more as Leggo armor is more wide spread. Before the armory I was working on one leggo set for each weight class due to the ease of theory crafting that it would provide. So true don't think that happened often, but I could see that more in the future. Still surprised haven't run into one of all mechs as people were guessing when the beta for them was running. 

Ya for sure, very true, and i hope so. Legendary armor is expensive and for a longtime PVP and WvW had zero ways of money making in the modes. So lots of PVP purists (people who only play PVP and WvW) have a really late start.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684

1 hour ago, solemn.9608 said:

Note your own word choice with group. 5 Eles together is rough, a squad...... 5 Holo is nothing compared to 5 Ele, unless you are talking about 5 Teef all amped up on poison builds to counter that Ele group. 

2 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

It would probably have a similar satisfying feeling of necro corpse explosion in the Diablo games. 

Hmm, imagine using corpse explosion on your dead allies though, then rallybots would no longer be a huge negative. 

Funny enough I picked necromancer because minionmancer in Diablo 2 was great; was disappointing by the chicken wings in this game.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Hmm, imagine using corpse explosion on your dead allies though, then rallybots would no longer be a huge negative. 

Funny enough I picked necromancer because minionmancer in Diablo 2 was great; was disappointing by the chicken wings in this game.

It was my main class since december 2004 (i think)  in gw1 and in every game like diablo i play necro ... in gw2 it is a  no thank you.

Necromancer in gw1 was very good and when using minions  felt really good in WHATEVER game mode we were, playing in gw2... well we all know how it is.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

On 3/15/2024 at 6:49 AM, Aeolus.3615 said:

Can u imagine that on a IWAY ported do gw2? damage increasing per ally killed/downstate nearby 😄

I have an old video saved of a team of 7 N/R making themselves and their pets into bombs, with 1 R/Mo named "I Raise Seven Necros" going through HoH. Same folks who helped make IWAY popular, if I recall. Some goofy GvG builds were run now and then.

12 hours ago, synk.6907 said:

I have an old video saved of a team of 7 N/R making themselves and their pets into bombs, with 1 R/Mo named "I Raise Seven Necros" going through HoH. Same folks who helped make IWAY popular, if I recall. Some goofy GvG builds were run now and then.

I think i remember people talking  about setup but never observed it, necros with exploding pets it's not strange for sure.

Edited by Aeolus.3615