Amount of "useless" currencies in game is too damm high

Can we have discussion about amount of old or "useless" or expansion/LW specific or game mode specific currencies? Like new expansion probably introduce new currencies so there are things to farm or it can keep some current currencies, but inflate price so "great" idea to get new players or attract current majority of playerbase.

Few examples:

Karma – after you spend few millions to buy/unlock everything it become useless

Unusual coins – unlock recipes for crafting and needed for 1 item for open world leggy armor

Ancient coins – unlockrecipes for crafting and weekly one antique stone for gen3 leggy weapon

Jade slivers – really useless one since who in there right mind would use that Recycler for jade bot instead of scavenger

WvW testemonies of "x" – we can trade them with each other so they can be merged without any loss

Canach coins – why?

Hatched chilli – so many of them without anything useful to do with them

Eitrite ingot – so many of these without anything useful to do with them

Prismaticite Crystal – so many of these without anything useful to do with them

+1 agony resistance – good to sell on TP after you are done with your infusions

Of course there is a lot more. If someone at ANET could look at this and streamline it or create NPC similar to Dugan in WvW so excess of "useless" currencies can be traded for something usefull, but without introducing new currency/currencies.

PS Add SOTO essences as one of "useless" currencies since nothing to do with it and having extra char slot used to hold of these essences is not good.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 13

27 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Jade slivers – really useless one since who in there right mind would use that Recycler for jade bot instead of scavenger

Jade slivers is 200 IQ gaming, there is several ways to make gold from them that exceeds other options.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Things I regularly have to throw away in my accounts 2-4: Pile of Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore, Empyreal Fragment.
Even Herta can't keep up.

Pls gimme a merchant that gives me a copper for a stack.

As for karma, you can waste it all away in Orr for a chest that drops useless stuff you can sell. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lost_Orrian_Jewelry_Box

I'm also for merging some of those together (like what happened with the dungeon currencies) and make the wallet smaller and not larger. And then add an npc or item for it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

Different currencies exist so that people do the different zones/kinds of content; if it was just one universal currency for everything, almost every zone besides the one with the highest currency/hour would be completely dead. Really though, basically everything but Prismaticite and Hatched Chili Peppers does actually have a gold conversion/use of some sort. https://fast.farming-community.eu/ has a breakdown for pretty much everything if you don't know where to start.

1 minute ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Things I regularly have to throw away in my accounts 2-4: Pile of Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore, Empyreal Fragment.
Even Herta can't keep up.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gleam_of_Sentience is your friend.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

Different currencies exist so that people do the different zones/kinds of content; if it was just one universal currency for everything, almost every zone besides the one with the highest currency/hour would be completely dead.

You do know that most zones in GW2 are empty and on most of them you can not finish group meta events or you wait for days to get ppl for it. So ppl already doing it now. They check what content is best in terms of gold per hour and do that.

Also stop taking something out of content and start discussion about one universal currency. Noone want that. GW2 is really old and if you compare amount of currencies at launch it was fine, but each expansion/LW added their unique currencies and it is too bloated. Why do we need research notes or Provisioner Token as material sink? Is it for most veteran playing for years having too much mats or to keep up stable TP "economy" or just slow new ppl down so they play game for longer?

Also ANET kind of tried to solve currency inflation with ancient/unusual coins and blue/green prophet shards and it kind of worked. So this type of design can be viable. Let's be real do we really need three types of essences in SOTO? So with next expansion merging all three essences to one would have almost 0 impact on game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

7 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

You do know that most zones in GW2 are empty and on most of them you can not finish group meta events or you wait for days to get ppl for it. So ppl already doing it now. They check what content is best in terms of gold per hour and do that.

Also stop taking something out of content and start discussion about one universal currency. Noone want that. GW2 is really old and if you compare amount of currencies at launch it was fine, but each expansion/LW added their unique currencies and it is too bloated. Why do we need research notes or Provisioner Token as material sink? Is it for most veteran playing for years having too much mats or to keep up stable TP "economy" or just slow new ppl down so they play game for longer?

Also ANET kind of tried to solve currency inflation with ancient/unusual coins and blue/green prophet shards and it kind of worked. So this type of design can be viable. Let's be real do we really need three types of essences in SOTO? So with next expansion merging all three essences to one would have almost 0 impact on game.

Cool.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

So your solution to this, which you openly state, issue is to make it worse? Am I the only one confused here?

Given that research notes are used in predominately items which are targeted at veteran players, you have that backwards.

Let me explain so you understand:

Research notes and Provisioner tokens are draining materials from the game, which in turn increases the value of those materials. It increases the cost for players which require research notes (mostly veterans) while it redistributes some of that wealth to players which do not require research notes (not veteran players or veteran players which do not need rn).

Your entire analysis is flawed.

The 3 types of essences are there to encourage the use of motivations as well as necessitating specific content and encourage upgrading of motivations, which in turn again removes materials from the games economy (which as we have already established is beneficial to newer players while also maintaining the in game economy somewhat).

That is not to say there shouldn't be some adjustments. Some currencies have no use (Hatched chilli and Prismaticite Crystal most notably). A vendor value could solve this if a conversion is out of the table. The remaining currencies you listed all serve a function and provide some benefit, even if you disagree with it.

Going through what you posted:

Karma – used in legendary crafting. Will actually run low for players which craft legendaries regularly for sale. Legendary items are the backbone of this games economy.

Unusual coins – the "current expansion" coin. necessitates play of the current expansion

Ancient coins – the "not current expansion" coin. Similar to blue and green shards, eventually the use of these will increase significantly as more and more past expansion recipes are added

Jade slivers – you disagreeing with the value proposition is a you thing. Some players which enjoy min/maxing use a Scavanger Jade Bot, save gray items, then use a Recycler Jade bot to get huge amounts of Jade Slivers off of their gray items

WvW testemonies of "x" – here I actually agree. Given the main use of these is to craft gen 3 legendaries and all of them are converted into Imperial Favor, merging them by now makes sense

EDIT: misunderstood, thought we are talking about "Writ of XYZ" from EoD area, which is obvious by my reply. Those could be streamlined. Testimonies in WvW are NOT interchangeable, while I agree that a solution similar to unusual coins or blue/green shards would be better, its obvious that the developers want a reset of testimonies per expansion.

Canach coins – a "fun" mini game in EoD. While I do agree that I am not a fan, maybe this can be expanded upon in the future

Eitrite ingot – can be vendored for gold

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:02 PM, Vavume.8065 said:

Jade slivers is 200 IQ gaming, there is several ways to make gold from them that exceeds other options.

Exact. I use them and I made a lot of gold but you know OP says it's worthless.

Edited by Krajtin.8956
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2024 at 10:07 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

So your solution to this, which you openly state, issue is to make it worse? Am I the only one confused here?

There is so many solutions here and most of it go with good game design instead of inflate currencies. Currently you can see that "new" ingame events bring a lot players to that part of game.

Given that research notes are used in predominately items which are targeted at veteran players, you have that backwards.

Let me explain so you understand:

Research notes and Provisioner tokens are draining materials from the game, which in turn increases the value of those materials. It increases the cost for players which require research notes (mostly veterans) while it redistributes some of that wealth to players which do not require research notes (not veteran players or veteran players which do not need rn).

Your entire analysis is flawed.

This is golden. Spoken like true boomer/"veteran".

Research notes were introduced in EoD expansion. In EoD expansion it is used for jade bot cores, recipes for crafting and leggy weapons so only leggy weapons so how is that targeted at veteran players? It was actually introduced so new players can "catch" up with veterans.

In SOTO research notes are used for crafting motivations for one of main features of the SOTO and that's is rifts so how is it targeted at veteran players? Also SOTO as newest expansion introduce open world leggy armor and it is another main feature of expansion and it is designed for "newer" players since most of crafting can be skipped with buying items on NPC and you even have task in WV to craft 1 leggy piece so how is that targeted at veteran players? ANET even introduced new "achievements" for leggy items so more players and new players can get in leggy crafting.

Also draining mats game is not good for new players. It is great for ppl playing game for years and ANET. Since one get ingame gold and ANET get some money from gold/gems conversion.

Edited by TheNurgle.4825
Posted before finished writting
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

There is so many solutions here and most of it go with good game design instead of inflate currencies. Currently you can see that "new" ingame events bring a lot players to that part of game.

This is golden. Spoken like true boomer/"veteran".

Research notes were introduced in EoD expansion. In EoD expansion it is used for jade bot cores, recipes for crafting and leggy weapons so only leggy weapons so how is that targeted at veteran players? It was actually introduced so new players can "catch" up with veterans.

In SOTO research notes are used for crafting motivations for one of main features of the SOTO and that's is rifts so how is it targeted at veteran players? Also SOTO as newest expansion introduce open world leggy armor and it is another main feature of expansion and it is designed for "newer" players since most of crafting can be skipped with buying items on NPC and you even have task in WV to craft 1 leggy piece so how is that targeted at veteran players? ANET even introduced new "achievements" for leggy items so more players and new players can get in leggy crafting.

Also draining mats game is not good for new players. It is great for ppl playing game for years and ANET. Since one get ingame gold and ANET get some money from gold/gems conversion.

You are leaving out the amount of research notes required.  

Yes, rank 10 Jadebot cores are not the first thing "new players" should go for,  and even if, the amount of research notes required is limited.

The main drain are legendaries.

The same applies to SotO where the main reason for research notes is feeding into legendary open world armor.

Draining materials is good for players which do not need these materials, because they can sell them for more. Veterans are in general in need of specific materials more and in higher quantity versus new players which might not even be fully geared, lack basic gem store items/features, etc. It's really not a hard concept to grasp.

Try again. This is just another one of you mindless posts where you think you have some understanding of the game economy, and it will go the same way the last few went: no where.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The 3 types of essences are there to encourage the use of motivations as well as necessitating specific content and encourage upgrading of motivations, which in turn again removes materials from the games economy (which as we have already established is beneficial to newer players while also maintaining the in game economy somewhat).

That is not to say there shouldn't be some adjustments. Some currencies have no use (Hatched chilli and Prismaticite Crystal most notably). A vendor value could solve this if a conversion is out of the table. The remaining currencies you listed all serve a function and provide some benefit, even if you disagree with it.

So removing items from circulation is beneficial to newer players which increase demand for these items. It sounds more like "I have a lot of it and I can sell it for more now as "veteran" player." and we so this with crafting leggy relic. Also motivations are terrible game design since most ppl just wait for that one opener which craft T2 or T3 motivations. How do I know? I run T2 and T3 rifts and getting ppl for it is easy and you can see how many ppl actually use motivations and it is almost noone.

Let's not forget that having three essences just added 3 new currencies with limited usage like whar are we doing with LI from raids now?

Karma – used in legendary crafting. Will actually run low for players which craft legendaries regularly for sale. Legendary items are the backbone of this games economy.

You can sell only leggy weapons gen1 and gen3 and with quick check on supply it is almost nothing so leggy items are not backbone of GW2 economy. It is backbone of few ppl which craft these leggy items for sale. Also do you really need karma for leggy crafting or it is just another curency which through some other things give you gold or items needed for leggy crafting?

Unusual coins – the "current expansion" coin. necessitates play of the current expansion

Ancient coins – the "not current expansion" coin. Similar to blue and green shards, eventually the use of these will increase significantly as more and more past expansion recipes are added

As I wrote these 2 are good way how to limit inflation of currencies and to promote new content.

Jade slivers – you disagreeing with the value proposition is a you thing. Some players which enjoy min/maxing use a Scavanger Jade Bot, save gray items, then use a Recycler Jade bot to get huge amounts of Jade Slivers off of their gray items

This could be good be thing, but swapping modules only at workbench is more like mobile app design to promote spending more time managing things than actually playing game.

WvW testemonies of "x" – here I actually agree. Given the main use of these is to craft gen 3 legendaries and all of them are converted into Imperial Favor, merging them by now makes sense

EDIT: misunderstood, thought we are talking about "Writ of XYZ" from EoD area, which is obvious by my reply. Those could be streamlined. Testimonies in WvW are NOT interchangeable, while I agree that a solution similar to unusual coins or blue/green shards would be better, its obvious that the developers want a reset of testimonies per expansion.

This is sad. Please check https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroics_Notary#vendor1. Currently you can get only jade heroics and at NPC you can exchange them for previous two with 1:1 ratio so simple useless exchange. If you merge all of them to one nothing happen. Only thing is that I would not need to go to NPC and exchange new currency for old currency in 1:1 ratio.

Canach coins – a "fun" mini game in EoD. While I do agree that I am not a fan, maybe this can be expanded upon in the future

I bought all skins from that place and did all achievements and now it is useless currency with place being empty. For currencies like that there should be vendor similar to WvW Dugan.

Eitrite ingot – can be vendored for gold

One can be vendored for gold and other is really useless after you do few things with it so they could be used as "new" currency for something in game instead of actually introducing new currency.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

You are leaving out the amount of research notes required.  

Yes, rank 10 Jadebot cores are not the first thing "new players" should go for,  and even if, the amount of research notes required is limited.

Noone talk about rank 10 core and most "new" just go for rank 6 to unlock both jade bot slots and even ignore it on other chars since jade bot core is char specific and not account wide. Talking about L here.

The main drain are legendaries.

Since you wrote it is fact, right? Check the supply of gen1 and gen3 leggy weapons its range is from 5 to 20 per one leggy item and you can not see person which post it so even with benefit of doubt that all those leggy items are unique sellers you get to 640 ppl with me being nice and using 20 as supply. If 640 ppl are backbone of GW2 economy, then we are playing game with really low population and that's does not look like that.

Try again. This is just another one of you mindless posts where you think you have some understanding of the game economy, and it will go the same way the last few went: no where.

Of course. You know everyting and everything you write is fact without any other opinion or facts allowed.

EDIT: But you don't even know how testemonies in WvW works.

Edited by TheNurgle.4825
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

So removing items from circulation is beneficial to newer players which increase demand for these items. It sounds more like "I have a lot of it and I can sell it for more now as "veteran" player." and we so this with crafting leggy relic. Also motivations are terrible game design since most ppl just wait for that one opener which craft T2 or T3 motivations. How do I know? I run T2 and T3 rifts and getting ppl for it is easy and you can see how many ppl actually use motivations and it is almost noone.

It's a trade of time versus gold.

It takes 3-4 times the time to get the same amount of essence without motivations. This gives players a choice: spend more time in game or spend gold. In both cases the game benefits because either resources are cycled out and and gold changes hands or players are active playing.

How do I know? Because I crafted all 3 legendary open world armors day 1 and had a lot of time to do the math, run rifts and figure out how to not go insane while doing so.

30 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Let's not forget that having three essences just added 3 new currencies with limited usage like whar are we doing with LI from raids now?

You can sell only leggy weapons gen1 and gen3 and with quick check on supply it is almost nothing so leggy items are not backbone of GW2 economy. It is backbone of few ppl which craft these leggy items for sale. Also do you really need karma for leggy crafting or it is just another curency which through some other things give you gold or items needed for leggy crafting?

You need around 1 million karma per gen 1 legendary.

If you were following this games economy and how changes in legendary acquisition or resources affect each other, you'd know I am right.

You assuming all legendary crafting/selling happens on the trading post is your issue. Things which do not appear on the TP:

1. Legendarys not traded on the tp but traded between players

2. Legendary gear crafted for ones self

one would assume you'd know that. Especially the 2nd one is kind of a big deal.

So again, please just stop.  This is beyond cringe to read.

Edit:

and in case you need more "convincing", take a moment and think about why prices for T6 materials, ecto, etc all went up with SotO, even though the supply to the game increased with the wizard vault. Hint: It's legendary gear which a lot more players are crafting now. 

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 5:07 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

Legendary items are the backbone of this games economy.

Doubtful. If anything, I'd call Ectos a far more likely "backbone" than completed legendaries of any generation given their ubiquitous requirement for crafting anything of any consequence.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

bought all skins from that place and did all achievements and now it is useless currency with place being empty. For currencies like that there should be vendor similar to WvW Dugan.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Club_Canach_Rewards_Vendor#vendor9

Literally on the same vendor where you bought the skins, are you trolling?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Doubtful. If anything, I'd call Ectos a far more likely "backbone" than completed legendaries of any generation given their ubiquitous requirement for crafting anything of any consequence.

You don't seem to understand what I meant with backbone.

Ectos are a resource. What they drain is rare and exotic gear.  They prodive materials for T5->T6 conversion and luck.

The demand for ectos is not droven by luck, nor is the demand for conversion, nor are the recipes which require ectos not tied to legendary crafting.

Legendary gear, how ever it might be used, drives a significant amount of demand in this game on almost all levels. That's called a backbone.

Last noticed when suddenly the Wizard Vault made legendary gear more accessible to more players (starter kits), when open world legendary armor was made available, etc.

When all prices nearly doubled even though the supply of those materials into the game ALSO increased.

If supply went up, and price went up, the only logical conclusion is that demand must have spiked more than supply. Now you show me where something unrelated to legendary gear was added which drains more than legendary armor or legendary gear from starter kits with EoD or SotO, and I'll gladly attribute the massive shifts to this games economy to that. I'll wait.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

I agree, but at least the currencies are comparatively benign because they go to your account wallet.

Meanwhile there are so many materials and items that go straight to your inventory, which I'm assuming is to sell more material, bank and bag  expansions. 

It's grating during my day-to-day activities, because every time I go do a meta I have to make sure I have 30 inventory slots free, or else I will have all my inventory slots full with items that are basically variations of 4 unique types of loot. The biggest offenders are probably...

Materials: My coffers are full of entire stacks of T1-4 materials and the overwhelming majority of them sell for less gold than I would get if I just deleted them and killed random enemies instead of listing them on the TP. Then there are these specific sparks, tears, slivers, scraps, stones, dust from HoT and PoF that are worth so little you should just vendor them. Medallions, key pieces, the list goes on. Add on top of that that most festivals have some side materials that are practically worthless as well, such as candy canes and all the skulls, fangs, snougat things.

Containers, Bags and salvage: there's like 30 variations of the same kitten container with only slightly different loot, why???

Junk/"trophies": there's only a handful of junk items in the game that you can sell to vendors for more than 1s, and then there are 100 junk items that have the exact same 16c value and do nothing but take up 3-10 of your inventory slots if you kill any amount of enemy variety

Scavenger hunt items: arguably improved with recent collections, but most of the old ones require some account-bound unique object that needs to be used to interact with something specific in the world, and if you delete it you have to pay a decent amount of gold and some specific map currency to get a replacement, or repeat a story.

Account-bound Festival items: Almost every festival has a few of these, and if you do not spend them during festivals, you will end up with an entire stash tab full of festival items

Killproof: nitpicky, but I also have more than 1 stash tab full of just the fragments of each raid boss.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2