Would you consider Palworld equivalent to GW2

Do you consider Palworld to be similar to GW2?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. ArenaNet and PocketPair are not really big corporations putting pressure on the game to be a certain way. So in the ideas and the vibe of the game, do you think GW2 and Palworld are similar.

• GW2 and Palword idea generation feels similar
    • GW2 and Palworld idea generation does not feel similar
  2. 2. MMORPG term is loose, not really any definite definition of it, GW2 is an MMORPG would you consider Palworld to be an MMORPG? It is coming release raid boss, raid boss that too is loose, but commonly known to MMORPG right?

• Palworld does feel like an MMORPG like GW2
    • Palworld does feel like an MMORPG but not like GW2
    • Palworld does not feel like an MMORPG
  3. 3. Should GW2 take some ideas from Palworld. A lot of mount abilities, companion/pal, base building, being raided by enemies(enemies attack you randomly, its base being attacked), the visual combat new ideas. Something chases you and explodes, massive laser beam, grass attacks and you jump over them, etc.

• Yes I would to see some things that are in Palworld to be in GW2
    • No I would not like to see Palworld ideas in GW2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Interesting, 

So curious do people think GW2 has lack of resources type of issue like not enough dev's and cannot compete or do what bigger companies do? So can't really do much fancy stuff? Do people think of this when it comes to new things for GW2?

Whats interesting is one of the biggest gaming companies tencent is investing into getting ideas from palworld and making it happen but according this community here 89% people think palworld doesn't have anything worthwhile. Tencent must be saying data shows Palworld got something going we need to get on this ASAP.

So just interesting community thinks nothing interesting but one of the top gaming companies thinks otherwise.

One big thing I think GW2 could takeaway from Palworld is base building. Bases, especially in WvW, seeing threads like GW2 needs to spice things up, passion is gone, and so on. Base building and having a team as in base workers and stuff even in PvE I can see it happening in Guild Wars.

The name of the game is Guild Wars. Guilds should have bases right, what about workers and so on?

Edited by uberkingkong.8041
  • Confused 8

48 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Interesting, 

So curious do people think GW2 has lack of resources type of issue like not enough dev's and cannot compete or do what bigger companies do? So can't really do much fancy stuff? Do people think of this when it comes to new things for GW2?

Whats interesting is one of the biggest gaming companies tencent is investing into getting ideas from palworld and making it happen but according this community here 89% people think palworld doesn't have anything worthwhile. Tencent must be saying data shows Palworld got something going we need to get on this ASAP.

So just interesting community thinks nothing interesting but one of the top gaming companies thinks otherwise.

One big thing I think GW2 could takeaway from Palworld is base building. Bases, especially in WvW, seeing threads like GW2 needs to spice things up, passion is gone, and so on. Base building and having a team as in base workers and stuff even in PvE I can see it happening in Guild Wars.

The name of the game is Guild Wars. Guilds should have bases right, what about workers and so on?

Bro. 

You said that palworld is(somehow) an MMOrpg like Gw2. 

The community said obviously no. 

And now, 2 weeks later, you pull up and your conclusions is THIS????? 

"I think trains are equal to cars as both have wheels and people who disagree just don't like trains." 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Interesting, 

The game is Guild Wars 2.  The name was created only to continue with the franchise/studio.  It really has nothing to do with guilds or wars between guilds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It would be a fantastically bad idea to try to cram half baked ideas ripped from another entirely different genre like this into an existing game with a clunky engine and limited resources.

The fact that you're even comparing tencent, a massive multinational conglomerate, with ArenaNet in any way is ridiculous. I don't know where you heard the idea that they were looking to take ideas from palworld but if they are then I'm sure they will have one of their many studios try something new with those ideas rather than cram them into an old game.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Interesting, 

Who even wrote anything about resources here? People just dislike your idea and think your comparison between the games is bad/baseless in the first place. If you want to play palworld, just play palworld.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2024 at 9:06 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I'm calling it here:  OP is a psychologist fishing for data to write a new article.  

Doubtful. A psychologist would know the meaning of the word 'equivalent' and know that it is the wrong word to use to compare these two games. What little credibility they would have had is gone.

I'd just dismiss this whole thing as trolling for the lulz.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Yes. Notice, that i do not think that Anet lacks those resources, just that GW2 does.

Notice also, that this siphoning off resources from GW2 to other projects has nothing to do with this thread. It's not lacks of resources that's preventing GW2 from turning into something like Palword. It's common sense that does that.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Doubtful. A psychologist would know the meaning of the word 'equivalent' and know that it is the wrong word to use to compare these two games. What little credibility they would have had is gone.

I'd just dismiss this whole thing as trolling for the lulz.

You'd be surprised.  First, it is not the first time I've seen this.  I've seen it twice before, once in City of Heroes, and once on these forums themselves.  Their writing style and their actions follow a similar trend.  I've also worked with a few psychologists while I was in college, and they really do act like this.  Know that psychologists aren't literature majors, so the use of their terminology isn't to be taken literally.  Also know that Hermetics is pretty big in the psych scene right now, so they're all about equating things to other things.  Finally, also know that most colleges are now glorified degree mills that exist to suck out government subsidies, so it is really, really easy to get a psych degree.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am amazed that OP views Palworld as some sort of standard to aspire toward. It's a crude, vulgar mishmash of better games' mechanics and outright facsimiles of their in-game assets.

Which I'm sure we could draw a few parallels to GW2's current state of development, but it's nowhere near that bad. And we would never want it to be.

I'm genuinely curious if OP has ever played an actually good game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I don't know where you heard the idea that they were looking to take ideas from palworld

Lets see, 

Dot Esports is saying Tencent is making 2 games inspired by Palworld

Seeking Alpha says Tencent eyes new wave of growth inspired by Palworld

Game Rant says Tencent is working on not 1 but 2 games similar to Palworld

Bloomberg says Tencent chases Palworld success

India Today Gaming says Tencent hints progression on making Palworld style games

Pocket Gamer Biz, Tencent TOP STUDIOS are starting development on a game inspired by Palworld

These articles are from 2 days to like 15 hours ago, so very recent.

I made this thread 2 weeks ago, so seems like I am ahead of these trends or data analytic people since these data analytics people or on par with the Tencent top of the line data gathering idea creation big picture, big data reading ingesting people.

I'm sure Tencent had a 100 data analytics people, look at Palworld you think its a good thing to do or waste of time, I already suggesting it and those analytic decide YES, Palworld like game is the thing for today, huge hit, passion is gone, Palworld brings back the passion. Games need new ideas? Palworld provides the new ideas. It's a step in the right direction.

So.

Its interesting seeing GW2 community thoughts vs data analytics from Tencent, start working on not 1 game, 2 games like Palworld.

Its the ideas, inspiration of the game Palworld.

I find this intersting too,

"

Pocketpair CEO Takuro Mizobe told Bloomberg that the company has made tens of billions of yen in profit from Palworld, so much so that the profits are “too big for a studio with our size to handle.”

"

Picture this, anet developer, we made so much heres a bonus.

We still making so much another 600k copies sold, heres another bonus

guess what we made more money, need another bonus? Oh no you good. alright.

Time to figure out what I'm gonna do with all this profit

awww man another 500k copies sold, already gave people like 4 bonuses this week and they good. what to do with this $$$

I think it was not just how I see GW2 has passion is gone, I think this across the gaming industry. Palworld hit different, so thinking GW2 could or should they be inspired by Palworld and use similar ideas?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

So just interesting community thinks nothing interesting but one of the top gaming companies thinks otherwise

That is not what your poll asked.

Not wanting Palworld elements in GW2 does not indicate that one finds nothing interesting about Palworld. I do not want strawberry icecream blended into my tomato basil soup, that does not mean that I dislike strawberry icecream.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Lets see, 

India Today Gaming says Tencent hints progression on making Palworld style games

Pocket Gamer Biz, Tencent TOP STUDIOS are starting development on a game inspired by Palworld

These are all like 2 days to like 15 hours ago.

I made this thread 2 weeks ago, I am suppose ahead, of these trends these data analytics people, got an idea of the data before the data analytic even started gathering it.

I'm sure Tencent had a 100 data analytics people, look at Palworld you think its a good thing to do or waste of time, I already suggesting it and those analytic decide YES, Palworld like game is the thing for today, huge hit, passion is gone, Palworld brings back the passion. Games need new ideas? Palworld provides the new ideas. It's a step in the right direction.

So.

Its interesting seeing GW2 community thoughts vs data analytics from Tencent, start working on not 1 game, 2 games like Palworld.

What even is your train of thought in this post?
Is "this game blew up, investors looking to capitalize on its success by releasing clones of it" something you need "100 data analytics people" for?
Also they're looking into creating new similar games, not "forcefully put parts of palworld" into CoD, PUBG and LoL because you like the title. Your response here has nothing to do with what you asked for in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Lets see, 

These are all like 2 days to like 15 hours ago.

I made this thread 2 weeks ago, so seems like I am ahead of these trends or data analytic people since these data analytics people or on par with the Tencent top of the line data gathering idea creation big picture, big data reading ingesting people.

So.

They aren't innovating. They're a Chinese-based for-profit entity. They rip off successful ideas and pass them kitten their own. All they are 'inspiring' to do is to rip off successful models in an effort to make a quick buck off anyone dumb enough to buy their knockoffs that will likely come loaded with micro transactions.

• Like 4

They're chasing the flavour of the month. It's typical big business practice - chasing something for a quick instant buck before the diminishing returns of copycat ideas becomes too worthless.

You are entirely misunderstanding how analytics work and how ideas need to fit organically in an existing game Vs being built specifically for a new game.

What is it from Palworld you specifically want in GW2? Because that is what this boils down to

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What even is your train of thought in this post?
Is "this game blew up, investors looking to capitalize on its success by releasing clones of it" something you need "100 data analytics people" for?
Also they're looking into creating new similar games, not "forcefully put parts of palworld" into CoD, PUBG and LoL because you like the title. Your response here has nothing to do with what you asked for in this thread.

Yes, however. There is another thread, MMORPG lifespan,

The train of thought there is MMORPGs just never end. Never any sequels so keep going until everyone is gone kind of trend everyone rides on. No MMORPGs, well people think no MMORPGs should end and a new version of the MMORPG should start up. Instead never ending.

So anyways, thats where the "should this game be inspired by Palworld and use ideas from Palworld"

this game is continuous evolving, so, if the train of thought, it can't do what Palworld does unless its a new game.

Thats not really good for an evolving if it, it is limited because only new games can take on those ideas. These not new games, can't do, shouldn't do, should not inspired, etc.

Kind of why there is a passion is gone thread?

I don't think these issues are just GW2, I feel like its MMORPG, and MMORPGs need a shakeup. Thats why I made lifespan thread. Should MMOs just keep going.

Newplayers what about them, keeping the brand/series fresh, is the old ways the best ways? old MMORPGs just pushing expansion after expansion never making a new up to date, modern tech. Could say some games failed, thats why I like to bring up GW1 to GW2, because people can learn from that, why look at failures, look at successful transitions.

Anyways a lot of ideas. Very intersting very new recent news gaming, Tencent super inspired by Palworld. This is like new, not while Palworld was booming. This is aftermath of the Palworld boom and they concluding we gotta look at Palworld for inspiration. People are really interested in that style of play at the moment.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, uberkingkong.8041 said:

People are really interested in that style of play at the moment.

Are they? Or is it because the Palworld/Pokemon controversy gave it a massive media boost and it's the current flavour of the month?

If in a year or two's time, Palworld is still the big game people are talking about and playing, then maybe there's a conversation to be had. But after 2 months? Not convinced GW2 needs to be taking notes just yet

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Are they? Or is it because the Palworld/Pokemon controversy gave it a massive media boost and it's the current flavour of the month?

If in a year or two's time, Palworld is still the big game people are talking about and playing, then maybe there's a conversation to be had. But after 2 months? Not convinced GW2 needs to be taking notes just yet

I disagree to some extent on the Palworld vs Pokemon. it may have helped get it noticed. But I think the actual idea/gameplay/ style of play. That drew people in.

So Pokemon like gets it noticed but the gameplay, that drew people in and a lot of people play still to this day. Tencent, they made decision not when the boom happened, they made it 2 days ago, the boom happened awhile ago. We are in the after the boom right now.

Interesting data entry look is reviews, very positive from 250k reviewers on Steam.

Its not a flop like Diablo 4 where it sold a copies, its a success but also a flop people are angry disgusted with how bad it is.

Palworld its a lot of people and very positive review its actually fun too.

Hence why the articles say, Tencent inspired by Palworld. Not really much so making clones, they are inspired. They using the gaming ideas, which I guess could be clones but the ideas any game take in. GW2 can take in ideas.

Passion is gone.

Need newness need something to inspire etc.

Palworld look at what it does, gameplay, ideas, etc. Inspiration.

If people are disgusted with SotO, just know this, people are even more disgusted with Diablo 4, SotO looks good compared to Diablo 4. The only reason why Diablo 4 drewin more people, its a new game.

New games = a lot of people trying it/ copies sold

If it was Diablo 3 expansion 5, it wouldn't get millions and millions like Diablo 4 got. Thats why I made MMORPG lifespan thread, are people for new version and sick of expansions? Expansions only good for so long or is the core game only good for so long. Like after 10 years of core game, should games look into new version or keep trucking with expansions.

New games a lot of copies being sold, if it was Diablo 3 expansion 5 I doubt 10 million copies would have been sold of a Diablo 3 expansion 5.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

The train of thought there is MMORPGs just never end. Never any sequels so keep going until everyone is gone kind of trend everyone rides on. No MMORPGs, well people think no MMORPGs should end and a new version of the MMORPG should start up. Instead never ending.

So anyways, thats where the "should this game be inspired by Palworld and use ideas from Palworld"

this game is continuous evolving, so, if the train of thought, it can't do what Palworld does unless its a new game.

Thats not really good for an evolving if it, it is limited because only new games can take on those ideas. These not new games, can't do, shouldn't do, should not inspired, etc.

I don't think these issues are just GW2, I feel like its MMORPG, and MMORPGs need a shakeup. Thats why I made lifespan thread. Should MMOs just keep going.

Newplayers what about them, keeping the brand/series fresh, is the old ways the best ways? old MMORPGs just pushing expansion after expansion never making a new up to date, modern tech. Could say some games failed, thats why I like to bring up GW1 to GW2, because people can learn from that, why look at failures, look at successful transitions.

Anyways a lot of ideas. Very intersting very new recent news gaming, Tencent super inspired by Palworld. This is like new, not while Palworld was booming. This is aftermath of the Palworld boom and they concluding we gotta look at Palworld for inspiration. People are really interested in that style of play at the moment.

Yes, flavor of the month. Sometime soon there will be new fad that comes out and these very same people you're talking about are  going to be saying "Ok stop looking at Palworld, look at what 'gameX' is doing. Let's copy that and see if we can make some quick cash off it."  WoW did it with their dragons expansion after GW2, and Valorant did it after Overwatch and Battlebourne, and Sekiro did it after Dark Souls. Path of Exile did it after Diablo 2.

Does Palworld have ideas that GW2 can benefit from? Maybe, but I don't know since I never played Palworld, but I doubt it. Should ArenaNet stop what they are currently working on and give us Pokemon in open world to catch and battle with? Absokitteninglutely not.  The two games are not equivalent. Let palworld be its own thing in its little corner and leave GW2 to us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Yes, flavor of the month. Sometime soon there will be new fad that comes out and these very same people you're talking about are  going to be saying "Ok stop looking at Palworld, look at what 'gameX' is doing. Let's copy that and see if we can make some quick cash off it."  WoW did it with their dragons expansion after GW2, and Valorant did it after Overwatch and Battlebourne, and Sekiro did it after Dark Souls. Path of Exile did it after Diablo 2.

Does Palworld have ideas that GW2 can benefit from? Maybe, but I don't know since I never played Palworld, but I doubt it. Should ArenaNet stop what they are currently working on and give us Pokemon in open world to catch and battle with? Absokitteninglutely not.  The two games are not equivalent. Let palworld be its own thing in its little corner and leave GW2 to us.

Yes but there is more to Palworld then Pokemon and battling.

A lot of Palworld play is base building. Having the right people get you resources. It's kinda like starcraft. Put in a miners get me a lot stone quickly. I need to get to the next tech quickly and to do that I need miners right away, all in on the base every mining type of thing.

So Palworld its a lot lot lot more to it than Pokemon and battling.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

OK so far we are seeing one game that utilises now Pokemon concepts and Starcraft concepts should eb the game everyone tries to copy even though it's doing what other successful games were already doing.

I'm still not sure where this is all leading and the motive for it, although I'm getting my suspicions. Lets put all that aside though and return to a more constructive aspect. What do YOU want to see from Palworld in GW2? What feature that is does exclusively well do you think GW2 can look at and adapt successfully to its model? Forget all the rest of the polls and opinions - what do YOU  and you alone want from that game brought to here? Lets start there and discuss that - not some vague "lets follow the trend" pathway to nowhere which we are on right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Yes but there is more to Palworld then Pokemon and battling.

A lot of Palworld play is base building. Having the right people get you resources. It's kinda like starcraft. Put in a miners get me a lot stone quickly. I need to get to the next tech quickly and to do that I need miners right away, all in on the base every mining type of thing.

So Palworld its a lot lot lot more to it than Pokemon and battling.

Neat, so Palworld is just an amalgamation of Pokemon and Fortnite; one franchise that has been popular for decades, and the other franchise was the last flavor of the month. Gee, let's take parts of two very different games and combine them to see what comes out. Sure, Palworld may resonate with some players, but that does not mean GW2 is equivalent to it nor should it be. This is one of those live and let live situations. It's better that GW2 and Palworld each do their own thing. There is no need for every game to be as similar as possible to each other.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

A company planning to make a new game without change has nothing to do with the question you asked in this thread. The games play differently.

To me the main thing that linked (also your) thread shows is that you're getting obsessed with "getting a new/different game". At which point, play a new/different game (doesn't mean you need to quit this one either btw 🤷‍♂️). On similar note, people who are "really interested in that style of play"... Already play palworld and probably won't get baited by "that completely different game with an element or two borrowed from them".

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

OK so far we are seeing one game that utilises now Pokemon concepts and Starcraft concepts should eb the game everyone tries to copy even though it's doing what other successful games were already doing.

I'm still not sure where this is all leading and the motive for it, although I'm getting my suspicions. Lets put all that aside though and return to a more constructive aspect. What do YOU want to see from Palworld in GW2? What feature that is does exclusively well do you think GW2 can look at and adapt successfully to its model? Forget all the rest of the polls and opinions - what do YOU  and you alone want from that game brought to here? Lets start there and discuss that - not some vague "lets follow the trend" pathway to nowhere which we are on right now.

Thats a good question. I think I would like my home instance to be a base.

I can get workers from playing the game. Could be NPCs it doesn't have be pals/pokemon. Could be like if you played Final Fantasy X, Blitzball, where you play the game and find people throughout the game to join your blitzball team.

Then assign those workers to do stuff like I need charge lodestones, so go mine.

One of the little things I like about Palworld too is base being raided. Would be cool getting a notification, risen army is attacking the guild hall and or home instance base. Are your workers gonna survive or do you need to show up and defend the base from being raided. This happens, this is what Palworld does, I really enjoy this aspect.

Reminds me of Tower Defense games.

Palworld is a lot of things, a lot of good things,

TowerDefense/Civilization/StarCraft/Fortnite/Pokemon/Rust/EldenRing

A lot of little things in Palworld. 

This thread is about is GW2 and Palworld kinda similar? If you ask me, yes. Both games are innovative, both games are from somewhat small companies and not taking orders from big company pushing politics and hindering innovation.

So I'm kinda opposite of the majority the poll results. This isn't really palworld vs gw2, this is, is palworld kinda like gw2, is pocketpair kinda like arenanet. I think yes, I wanted to see results without some kind of persuasion so I try to not put my opinion right away. Also, their new thing is "raid bosses", the only term I hear bosses from is MMORPGs, so is Palworld kinda like an MMORPG? Some servers have 50 people on it, 50 people playing around roleplaying, is that an MMORPG?

Thats why I say MMORPG is loosely, what really is an MMORPG, whats the guidelines?

20+ people in a zone? Palworld check

Roleplaying Game? Palworld check

MMORPG? Palworld check

MMORPG loosely term, theres no guideline what requirements must a game need to be consider MMORPG.

raid boses? Palworld is bringing them in the next update, so raid bosses this a MMORPG term right? Is this game an MMORPG?

Skyrim, in that game there is no such thing as raid boss. So is Palworld more like ESO or Skyrim? To me its more ESO, and ESO is an MMORPG.

What kind of MMORPG is Palworld most related too? I wanna say GW2, both are innovative games.

If Palworld is an MMORPG, should GW2 take some ideas from Palworld, because everyone says its not an MMORPG nothing alike.

So if MMORPG and nothing alike, the only difference is Palworld is 2024 and GW2 is 2012. Different styles, is Palworld the new norm? GW2 should they look into the new norm ideas. Palworld is not just entry, it had 20+ million sold its, a big hit in the entry. Its popular, 20+ million thats popular thats not no think about, thats wow whats the deal?

Tencent, hrmmm everyone get inspired by Palworld, Tencent, big company, their big data people conclusion we gotta inspired by it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3