WvW Legendary Armour precursors - Solved!

What I want:
1) A set of medium legendary armour
2) The glowing skins (I think that's Mistforged Triumphant Heroes armor)
3) To use no more skirmish tickets than necessary because that's going to be my big barrier/time gate to getting it.

What I've got already:

• WvW rank 500
  • 1 ascended medium Triumphant Heroes Brigandine
  • Several Gifts of Battle and other bits I'll need (I've checked the Wiki list, materials & currencies other than skirmish tickets are not a concern, if I don't have them I know I can get them).

Yes I know the glowing version is functionally no different to the cheaper, plain version but I like it and if I'm going to make legendary armour I might as well get a cool skin for it. But my time is limited so I've never been able to finish the skirmish reward track, so getting skirmish tickets is pretty slow (I've been saving them for ages and only have about 2,600). I know it's going to take me a long time to get a full set of legendary armour, but that's ok.

What I want to do is try to avoid wasting skirmish tickets. I think I've already wasted some by buying the ascended version of the Triumphant Heroes Brigandine, when I think I should have got the exotic version for the skin and waited to get the Mistforged ascended version, but I didn't know that at the time and can't do anything about it now. I'd like to avoid making more mistakes though.

Do I 'just' need to buy the ascended Mistforged Triumphant armour pieces, then combine them with the gifts of War Prosperity, Prowess and Dedication, or is there more to it or another way which works out cheaper?

Edited by Danikat.8537

It's going to take 10,500 tickets for 6 glowing pieces. That's it. Period. Your tickets are your tickets. 

Legendary war insights for 6 pieces - 6,570 tickets

Triumphant pieces - 1,310 tickets

Mistforged pieces - 2,620 tickets

Now in terms of options. To unlock the Mistforged Triumphant piece for purchase you must first buy the exotic or ascended Triumphant armor piece. 

1. Buy Triumphant Ascended pieces, craft Triumphant Legendary pieces using the Triumphant version as your precursor, buy Mistforged Triumphant pieces and transmog it for free over your Triumphant Legendary because transmogs on legendary items are free.

2. Buy Triumphant exotic pieces to save the grandmaster marks and a little bit of gold, buy the Mistforged Triumphant pieces to be your precursor.

3. Buy the Triumphant ascended, use it as an ascended piece of gear if you need it as you save up for Mistforged Triumphant to be your precursor in the legendary mystic forge recipe.

Depending on your play time each week and the amount of gold/crafting materials you are coming into this grind with... your limiting factor might not be the tickets but maybe the memories of battle or the materials for all the other gifts. Badges of Honor and Jade Testimonials are never an issue. 

So I guess first question is - are you rich enough to buy all the other 3 gifts outright as we sit here now?

Then in terms of armor pieces - do you have ~250 gold or 4500 memories of battle or some mix of the 2 to buy what you don't have off TP?

For example option 3. is going to 'cost' slightly more than option 1 or 2 and potentially be a bit slower but many players will need that time to gather resources for the other gifts

Edited by Leger.3724

I'm not worried about how long it will take, I know it's going to be a long time. (I think I can make 1 piece now, I'll get the rest as and when I can.)

What I don't want to do is accidentally waste skirmish tickets buying something I don't need. I think I've done that once - getting the ascended version of the triumphant heroes brigandine. I misunderstood when someone said you could use either to make the legendary armour, I didn't realise if I wanted the fancy skin I needed the fancy precursor too.

1. Do https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Armor_Reward_Track six times, to unlock the six pieces of medium armour if you haven't got them already unlocked.

2. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistforged_Triumphant_Hero's_armor is the shiny one you want.

3. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Hero's_Brigandine you already got (ascended medium chest piece) you can turn into a legendary piece, but it will not be the shiny variant. Seeing it that way, you have "wasted" resources there.

4. Shiny variant will cost more Skirmish Tickets (gated) and Memories of Battle (can be bought with pure gold)

5. Mystic Forge process (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor#WvW_armor_set) is the same. You need the "Gifts" six times.

6. The cost of "going shiny" over "turn ascended into a legendary" will be about 2.5k more Skirmish Tickets and 3k more Memories

Edited by Gorani.7205
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm not worried about how long it will take, I know it's going to be a long time. (I think I can make 1 piece now, I'll get the rest as and when I can.)

What I don't want to do is accidentally waste skirmish tickets buying something I don't need. I think I've done that once - getting the ascended version of the triumphant heroes brigandine. I misunderstood when someone said you could use either to make the legendary armour, I didn't realise if I wanted the fancy skin I needed the fancy precursor too.

The only mistake you can make is if you buy a second  armor piece that you already had. I would recommend going to the skirmish supervisor. Your "Sublime Mistforged Triumphant Hero's Brigandine" should be unlocked for you for purchase. That's your glowy piece #1. Notice how all the other pieces are locked until you buy an exotic or ascended Triumphant piece version of it.

So just be careful you're not buying a second Triumphant piece or a second Mistforged Triumphant piece. Only the chest piece is called "Sublime Mistforged" probably because it has the most noticeable glow effect. The rest are simply "Mistforged Triumphant".

To be clear -

Triumphant exotic/ascended/legendary have identical visuals. All 3 rarities have the same look.

Mistforged Triumphant ascended/legendary have identical visuals. The 2 rarities have the same look.

So if you want the skin and you don't care if it says in white at the bottom of your armor piece: "Transmuted, Original name of armor piece here" and you also want a legendary set of armor as fast as reasonably possible it might make sense to go use your Triumphant ascended as precursors for legendary armor, buy Mistforged ascended later and transmog the legendaries into Mistforged.

I'll leave it up to you but hopefully it's been made a bit more clear.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

What ever you do, do not, repeat do not, throw any of the pieces you will use for the leggo gear into the mystic forge to change stats on the gear after you have selected stats as it will change the prefix of the gear making it invalid to be forged into leggo gear. Lost a full set that way, take the warning the forge has now as serious if you use it versus put it somewhere safe before making the leggo gear.

Since it's comes up in various threads to readers versus forum regulars, there are two sets of ascended gear you can use to forge the leggo gear and either one can be used. Thanks as always to our wiki peeps for all your time.

References: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor Look for the WvW armor set. 

5 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

. The cost of "going shiny" over "turn ascended into a legendary" will be about 2.5k more Skirmish Tickets and 3k more Memories

It's actually 1500 more memories because the regular mistforged still costs 250 memories of battle.

So if tickets are not the issue, it's an issue of about 60 gold vs 20 grandmaster marks. Granted you will probably get a bunch of mark shards for playing WvW.

As a side note, it's probably a good idea to preview some of the pieces, especially the less impressive ones like the helm which may not be worth the effort even as the shiny version.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

What ever you do, do not, repeat do not, throw any of the pieces you will use for the leggo gear into the mystic forge to change stats on the gear after you have selected stats as it will change the prefix of the gear making it invalid to be forged into leggo gear.

References: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor Look for the WvW armor set. 

Basically these.  

I've also lost at least one piece of lege gear before by the stat changing thing before I realize what was going on.  

Wiki is your best friend in these situations--learning to understand it will take you a long way when you go to make additional legendaries as WvW armor isn't the only legendary you can waste mats on if you aren't careful.  

Thanks everyone!

I've made a few legendaries before (6 weapons and a backpack) it's just the armour I find confusing, possibly because of the two different versions. If it wasn't for the fact that skirmish tickets take me a long time to get I'd just do it and see what happens, but I don't want to waste hundreds of tickets on something I don't need (again).

I think I understand it now, and I think I have everything I need to make 1 piece, but I'm also a bit drunk right now so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow. Once I've done it once I think I'll understand it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Thanks everyone!

I've made a few legendaries before (6 weapons and a backpack) it's just the armour I find confusing, possibly because of the two different versions. If it wasn't for the fact that skirmish tickets take me a long time to get I'd just do it and see what happens, but I don't want to waste hundreds of tickets on something I don't need (again).

I think I understand it now, and I think I have everything I need to make 1 piece, but I'm also a bit drunk right now so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow. Once I've done it once I think I'll understand it.

lol, that's probably wise.

Posted (edited)

The chest piece is done! Thanks everyone for the help!

I'm going to need more skirmish tickets and memories of battle before I can make the next one, but at least I know what I'm doing now.

20 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

What ever you do, do not, repeat do not, throw any of the pieces you will use for the leggo gear into the mystic forge to change stats on the gear after you have selected stats as it will change the prefix of the gear making it invalid to be forged into leggo gear. Lost a full set that way, take the warning the forge has now as serious if you use it versus put it somewhere safe before making the leggo gear.

Since it's comes up in various threads to readers versus forum regulars, there are two sets of ascended gear you can use to forge the leggo gear and either one can be used. Thanks as always to our wiki peeps for all your time.

Adding to this: remove any upgrades (or don't put them on) before you put it in the Mystic Forge. I got the legendary but I'll need another rune and +9 agony infusion. Not difficult to get, but annoying, considering I could have just not upgraded the precursor if I'd thought about it.

Edited by Danikat.8537

6 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Nobody that plays WvW put it on their gear anyway, there’s enough agony without infusions.

Ah, now you've hit on the silly part of this process.

I'm making medium Mistforged Triumphant armour because I like the skins and my main character is a ranger. But I rarely play WvW on medium professions these days, I mainly use my elementalists. So they're playing swapsies - my ranger is collecting all the parts for light Obsidian armour for my eles.

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Ah, now you've hit on the silly part of this process.

I'm making medium Mistforged Triumphant armour because I like the skins and my main character is a ranger. But I rarely play WvW on medium professions these days, I mainly use my elementalists. So they're playing swapsies - my ranger is collecting all the parts for light Obsidian armour for my eles.

Hey, you can always cheese condi warhorn burster soulbeast and do 10k+ condi ticks on enemies.

Agony infusions are only used in fractals; so wvw infusions are fine anywhere else. Sadly there are no guards in pve. Though I suppose if you're not a power build wvw infusions don't even mean that much and anything non-power tanks guards easily enough anyways. And we are power crept we destroy lords quickly anyways.

Of course if you want to min-max it's best to create characters just for fractals. It's more cost effective than buying templates, or wasting time swapping things around and potentially mixing them up. (eg accidentally switching to a pve build in wvw). A fractal character wouldn't need to explore the map either.

Character slot expansion sales should be soon too.

The main problem is of course those damned cosmetic infusions that are only agony resist. I think that should be changed. I would say legendary infusions but given how they've handled these things, maybe not.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

• Danikat.8537 changed the title to WvW Legendary Armour precursors - Solved!
8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Adding to this: remove any upgrades (or don't put them on) before you put it in the Mystic Forge. I got the legendary but I'll need another rune and +9 agony infusion. Not difficult to get, but annoying, considering I could have just not upgraded the precursor if I'd thought about it.

Always do, because the item you get out of the forge isn't the same item, it's a brand new item and the old one(along with it's upgrades) is destroyed in the process, hence why the wvw pre's get screwed if you go to change the stats on them and turns it back into a regular ascended item which no longer counts as a pre.

Edited by XenesisII.1540

18 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The chest piece is done! Thanks everyone for the help!

I'm going to need more skirmish tickets and memories of battle before I can make the next one, but at least I know what I'm doing now.

Gratz!