Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

18 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Praying that Guild Wars 3 takes place way back in time before all the sci-fi stuff and more closely resembles the original game; brings guilds back to the forefront and all the fun social elements that go along with it; and becomes way, way less of an eyesore and makes an effort to retain those design elements. I haven't logged on in a good while now and I feel that the current game may have pushed me a little too far beyond my tolerance for pink fluffy cat pillows and high-tech everything.

While I'd love to see more from the old lore like the Mursaat and other fantastical things I've seen so far (I didn't play GW1), I'm afraid it would box them in. They could revert it to medieval by claiming that jade tech ran out of dragon battery for x lore reason. The might still have an engi-like thing, but keep it kind of steam punk/primitive. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:

Anet potentially cooking up GW3 does not mean GW2 cannot run in parallel. It could be a whole other genre for all we know. But reading through the first 4~5 pages of this thread, even if GW2 does have to shut down, there's no way some people seriously think GW2 has to go on forever until the day they die, right? Because if so, you really ought to take a good look at what you deem important in life. Like yeah sure it would suck and you might feel all the effort you put in will be lost, but isn't that essentially what happens in literally any RPG? Even if we set aside video games and MMOs, I'd go as far as to say that any time you spend in entertainment is, put simply, time lost and wasted.

I've got around 5k hours in GW2, currently working on my a set of Obsidian Armor, I've already gotten a bunch of other legendaries, I'm just cruising and having fun and taking my time with the game. The prospect of getting GW3 still sounds very exciting to me, no matter which form the game might take, and if it's good and has long term goals then I'll play it over GW2, simple as that.

I've also spent upwards of 12k hours in FFXIV - my main game, and if Square Enix ever announces a sequel to it, you can bet I'll be excited about it and stick with it if it's good, even if it means leaving behind my character and all the progress I've made on it.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, a game's just a game you have fun with, and if anything if you've spent thousands of hours into it then you should probably consider it a good run and move with no regrets when the time comes.

MMOs are living games. There is a reason why a bunch of old MMOs still have private servers, or are bought out by some (sadly usually predatory) company to keep it running. People love the world of it and want to keep playing. I think Anet could in theory run a GW2 and GW3 concurrently, but their past track record suggests otherwise. They promised a bunch of content to be added to GW1 to better tie it in to GW2, and then almost immediately dropped all of that.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Azinoth.1902 said:

Transfer the following:

- everything we paid for in Gem Store (this is the most obvious, whether it was real money or gold conversion)
- black lion statuette items and anything related
- the same mounts (skyscale etc) should exist in the new game, with possibly adding new ones, and their skins carry over (they don't have to be copy-paste, but recognizable, like branded skyscale)
- gliders, novelties, minis, finishers
- character transfer with name reservations, retaining their looks, like race, facial details etc
- legendary skins (otherwise there is zero point working on them anymore in GW2)
- unlocked tabs of bank, equipment, build, inventory
- hall of monuments achievements (like exploration of GW2 and completing all storylines, etc)

It's a joke? I don't like the idea of GW3 but you know they're not going to do that. It's a company

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Krajtin.8956 said:

It's a joke? I don't like the idea of GW3 but you know they're not going to do that. It's a company

Then I just simply won't be playing their games:) I did not ask for a new game that replaces the one I'm playing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

They can simple sell the old skins again with a visual upgrade. But 5 bucks discount on each skin for guildwars 2 veterans. 

and because its a new game players are not rich enough to buy everything with gold. And so they get more money to spend on new content. 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

[Update 12:46 pm PT] While NCSoft is clearly talking about Guild Wars 3 in their recent shareholders meeting, ArenaNet is shying away from the topic. In a statement to MMORPG.com following our request for comment this morning, ArenaNet said the following: 

"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we’d want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The team’s focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the game’s next expansion, which we’re excited to talk about soon."

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

Anet gave a very clear and reasonable explanation for why they made a GW2. They wanted to add a bunch of features that the game engine was not able to handle. Specifically, they wanted to have events and quests that reacted to player input and participation. And the game engine for GW1, especially with the instanced nature of the game made it not possible.

But what is the reasoning for moving on from GW2 to GW3? People are talking about how cool it would be to transfer the game UE5 for the visuals. But that's not a good enough reason to kill off a successful MMO. Look at the division that same decision made in RuneScape. It unnecessarily divided the community, to the point that Jagex ended up re-introducing OSRS, which is currently more popular than RS3.

Using history as an example, we see GW2 miracuously still ahead of every other MMORPG from a technical perspective,  after roughly 15 years after its launch. That's really crazy to think about.

Where you compare ANET to other devs is my biggest challenge. I don't think Anet can be compared in that way - Therfore, i strongly doubt they'd release anything with less capabilities but instead, is likely to be another groundbreaking evolution to MMORPG's and gaming in general. 

The reason i state a longer development cycle is that, while the future is coming at us faster than ever.. There's still an enourmous amount of wisdom/skill/time required to bring things up not just to par- but to set a new standard entirely. Blizzard failed to do this with TITAN after many years of theoretical development - despite endless funding. 

ANET may also be looking to train up a new generation of developers/artists as its current talent pool is aging. That's a lot easier with a new project to work on. 

All in all, i seriously doubt there will be any concrete progress made until we see the next generation of graphical processing capability paired with a more developed AI. But from ANET's perspective, the only way to figure out where they stand in the future is to do so on a new project - which is why i doubt we will see anything for another decade.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

They can simple sell the old skins again with a visual upgrade. But 5 bucks discount on each skin for guildwars 2 veterans. 

and because its a new game players are not rich enough to buy everything with gold. And so they get more money to spend on new content. 

If I wanted to keep rebuying what I already have, but ever so slightly [visually or otherwise] updated, I'd be paying for EA games every year.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

MMOs are living games. There is a reason why a bunch of old MMOs still have private servers, or are bought out by some (sadly usually predatory) company to keep it running. People love the world of it and want to keep playing.

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely understand where people are coming from. I myself am very enamored with the fictional world, lore, and characters of GW2 (and FFXIV since I've mentioned it as an example earlier) and would hate to see those go. That being said as long as it's the same IP, chances are the lore and world will remain.

What I'm saying is if you're spending that much time (and money!) into a game, then you should be ready to see it come to an end eventually (as with all things in life), whether by you quitting, or the game shutting down. I just think the overly emotional responses I've seen in here are just... weird, you know?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Invoker.5462 said:

Using history as an example, we see GW2 miracuously still ahead of every other MMORPG from a technical perspective,  after roughly 15 years after its launch. That's really crazy to think about.

Where you compare ANET to other devs is my biggest challenge. I don't think Anet can be compared in that way - Therfore, i strongly doubt they'd release anything with less capabilities but instead, is likely to be another groundbreaking evolution to MMORPG's and gaming in general. 

The reason i state a longer development cycle is that, while the future is coming at us faster than ever.. There's still an enourmous amount of wisdom/skill/time required to bring things up not just to par- but to set a new standard entirely. Blizzard failed to do this with TITAN after many years of theoretical development - despite endless funding. 

ANET may also be looking to train up a new generation of developers/artists as its current talent pool is aging. That's a lot easier with a new project to work on. 

All in all, i seriously doubt there will be any concrete progress made until we see the next generation of graphical processing capability paired with a more developed AI. But from ANET's perspective, the only way to figure out where they stand in the future is to do so on a new project - which is why i doubt we will see anything for another decade.

Then why not just make a different MMO. New talent can tell new stories. If they want to run a new game with new tech, then it can be a whole other game. There is no reason to recycle Guild Wars for it.

EoD and SotO brought some awesome visuals to the game. The difference between running around in Divinity's Reach and the Wizard's Tower are staggering. If anything, new devs/artists have their work cut for them if they can just update core Tyria to the same level of visual fidelity as any post LWS2 stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

Anet gave a very clear and reasonable explanation for why they made a GW2. They wanted to add a bunch of features that the game engine was not able to handle. Specifically, they wanted to have events and quests that reacted to player input and participation. And the game engine for GW1, especially with the instanced nature of the game made it not possible.

But what is the reasoning for moving on from GW2 to GW3? People are talking about how cool it would be to transfer the game UE5 for the visuals. But that's not a good enough reason to kill off a successful MMO. Look at the division that same decision made in RuneScape. It unnecessarily divided the community, to the point that Jagex ended up re-introducing OSRS, which is currently more popular than RS3.

You bring up a very important point many people here are glossing over. What limitation does GW2 have that only a GW3 can overcome?

To my knowledge there is no super incredible feature in any other MMO, that no other MMO can do without, that GW2 does not already have.

I'm convinced a lot of the folks here crying for a GW3 just want ArenaNet to release a new game for the sake of releasing a new game (rather than actually create a good and meaningful product that people will want to buy and play for more than a few weeks) to get views on their pathetic little Twitch channel.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely understand where people are coming from. I myself am very enamored with the fictional world, lore, and characters of GW2 (and FFXIV since I've mentioned it as an example earlier) and would hate to see those go. That being said as long as it's the same IP, chances are the lore and world will remain.

What I'm saying is if you're spending that much time (and money!) into a game, then you should be ready to see it come to an end eventually (as with all things in life), whether by you quitting, or the game shutting down. I just think the overly emotional responses I've seen in here are just... weird, you know?

But the game dying and being shut down is one thing. All I've seen from GW2 is it thriving. Making a GW3 just to make a GW3 would be intentionally choosing to kill a perfectly good game. Has Anet reached the end of what they can do with the current game engine? If they are struggling to add some super cool features to the game in its current state, then I get it. I don't see a "well the game has been out for 12 years, we might as well just close it down" is not a thing MMOs do. Look at RuneScape. Look at WoW. Look at EVE. All just chugging along after 20 years with no end in sight.

• Like 7

Just now, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

Then why not just make a different MMO. New talent can tell new stories. If they want to run a new game with new tech, then it can be a whole other game. There is no reason to recycle Guild Wars for it.

EoD and SotO brought some awesome visuals to the game. The difference between running around in Divinity's Reach and the Wizard's Tower are staggering. If anything, new devs/artists have their work cut for them if they can just update core Tyria to the same level of visual fidelity as any post LWS2 stuff.

Guild wars isn't really anchored to anything specific like other MMORPGS. "GUILD WARS" has a much deserved reputation and it would be foolish not to build upon the legacy set by it. GW3 may be nothing like GW2. With AI boosted development we might be talking interplanetary travel, vehicular transportation, building, a more dynamic landscape of enemies with agendas. Hell, we might see entire towns at stake instead of tiny settlements. The future of tech may make possible a more believable world where things don't seem as scripted.

Nobody really knows yet.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Invoker.5462 said:

Guild wars isn't really anchored to anything specific like other MMORPGS. "GUILD WARS" has a much deserved reputation and it would be foolish not to build upon the legacy set by it. GW3 may be nothing like GW2. With AI boosted development we might be talking interplanetary travel, vehicular transportation, building, a more dynamic landscape of enemies with agendas. Hell, we might see entire towns at stake instead of tiny settlements. The future of tech may make possible a more believable world where things don't seem as scripted.

Nobody really knows yet.

Those all would be cool. But that's starting to sound like Star Citizen - level of mumbo jumbo. In which case, can't wait for Guild Wars 3: In Space! In 2044!

• Like 3

Guild Wars 3 is not in a favorable position in terms of financial investment, here's why:

- a new MMO on a new engine is a massive investment, and the development time is very very long
- very difficult to demonstrate that the playerbase will be there to justify the investment
- extremely high risk of financial loss from the investor's side, game development is multiple times more expensive than it was 10-15 years ago, and the competition is insane
- obvious of proof of losing a major playerbase due to stuff not carrying over / progress devalued by reading forum posts, reddit, and talking to ppl ingame
- the new game would not be more financially beneficial, unless they do a super predatory microtansaction model like Diablo Immortal, or either introduce monthly sub fee or add it to Xbox game pass

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

But the game dying and being shut down is one thing. All I've seen from GW2 is it thriving. Making a GW3 just to make a GW3 would be intentionally choosing to kill a perfectly good game. Has Anet reached the end of what they can do with the current game engine? If they are struggling to add some super cool features to the game in its current state, then I get it. I don't see a "well the game has been out for 12 years, we might as well just close it down" is not a thing MMOs do. Look at RuneScape. Look at WoW. Look at EVE. All just chugging along after 20 years with no end in sight.

There could be any number of reasons GW3 is being considered/made. A few off the top of my head:

• It is very risky for a studio to financially depend on a single title. While yes WoW has been around for a while, Blizzard has a multitude of other games to keep them afloat. Square Enix, same thing. Admittedly, I don't know enough about Jagex or CCP to take a guess at their financial status.
  • Studios are made of people - very few people are willing to work on the same title for more than a decade.
  • The tech is becoming older and older, meaning there will naturally be less and less qualified devs to work on it. As a dev, if you don't keep growing your skills because you keep working on obsolete tech, you might be killing off your career.
  • In the same vein, tech in the industry is a continuous march forward, and like it or not, as a business you gotta keep up with the new industry standards if you even want to stay afloat.
  • Just as focusing too much on user acquisition can be bad business practice, so is catering too much to an existing userbase made up of long time veterans as it inhibits growth and alienates new players.
  • It's better to start working on the next big thing when you have money flowing in, rather than when your game's population dwindles too much that it cannot fund your next project anymore.
  • As others have said before, maybe they want to reach a new audience by introducing the Guild Wars IP to the console and/or mobile market, and porting GW2 simply isn't a realistic option.
  • As previously mentioned, GW3 could just not be an MMO at all.

There are countless reasons why GW3 would be a thing, even if GW2 is still very much alive and kicking (as far as we, consumers, know).

Edited by PyaKura.4895
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:

There could be any number of reasons GW3 is being considered/made. A few off the top of my head:

• It is very risky for a studio to financially depend on a single title. While yes WoW has been around for a while, Blizzard has a multitude of other games to keep them afloat. Square Enix, same thing. Admittedly, I don't know enough about Jagex or CCP to take a guess at their financial status.
  • Studios are made of people - very few people are willing to work on the same title for more than a decade.
  • The tech is becoming older and older, meaning there will naturally be less and less qualified devs to work on it. As a dev, if you don't keep growing your skills because you keep working on obsolete tech, you might be killing off your career.
  • In the same vein, tech in the industry is a continuous march forward, and like it or not, as a business you gotta keep up with the new industry standards if you even want to stay afloat.
  • Just as focusing too much on user acquisition can be bad business practice, so is catering too much to an existing userbase made up of long time veterans as it inhibits growth and alienate new players.
  • It's better to start working on the next big thing when you have money flowing in, rather than when your game's population dwindles too much that it cannot fund your next project anymore.

There are countless reasons why GW3 would be a thing, even if GW2 is still very much alive and kicking.

I don't think any of those points make business sense.

- On the point of it being risky to depend on a single title. I completely agree. In fact, I wish that Anet would make more games in the Guild Wars universe. I still want to see a Pact-based strategy game where we go through the various campaigns against the Elder Dragons and Balthazar and get to command all of these armies the Commander is leading that we only get to see small pieces off during the storyline. Can you imagine just the Orr campaign? It would be EPIC!!! But as for Guild Wars 3, instead of being a secondary product, it would actually be competing directly with Guild Wars 2. So making a GW3 that might flop would actually tank the whole company by killing off GW2 and deliver nothing.

- On the topc of not wanting to work on the same title for more than a decade. Ok.  So? There are thousands of companies that have been making the same exact product for decades. My first job was wokring on supporting a machine that was designed and built in the 90s and is still running more or less the same today. That's the business world. Even entertainment works the same way. There are several TV shows that have ran for 10+ years. People still love them. People who don't want to work on them don't have to. Just don't accidentally get a job there. Makes zero commercial sense to kill something that is working just because "well, it's been around a while!"

- On the point of tech being around too long. Ok, what is the current hot thing in MMOs that everyone wants, but Guild Wars 2 cannot do?

- The "tech moves on and so should you" is a non-point. Chasing industry trends is silly. Lots of tried and true companies around that have established markets. Guild Wars 2 is not currently dying becuase it's not taking advantage of some fancy new tech. 

- I don't even know what point you are trying to make with that one. "Don't try to grow your user base too much or cater too much to your dedicated fans!" ? What?!

- The last one makes sense. But again, make a different game. Don't replace GW2 with a GW3 because "well, we have the money to do it now, so we might as well, before we run out!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:

• Just as focusing too much on user acquisition can be bad business practice, so is catering too much to an existing userbase made up of long time veterans as it inhibits growth and alienates new players.
  • As previously mentioned, GW3 could just not be an MMO at all.

There are countless reasons why GW3 would be a thing, even if GW2 is still very much alive and kicking (as far as we, consumers, know).

Point is - maybe they shouldn't develop new MMO and try to add something new to their catalog? Like Overwatch and Hearthstone by Blizzard.

I don't think that new MMO without really big genre changing ideas will bring them more money long-term. They could say "Nothing will be transfered" and many people will be forced to buy many store items like tabs, slots etc. again. But does this short term profits justify developing new game in the same genre? More like they can lose trust from their loyal playerbase. Why buy tabs again if I already bought them in the same game from them?

We don't even know can they give us anything really new or just same game but with different graphics, story, new legendaries to obtain from scratch? Maybe developing more great expansions for GW2 will be better money wise? Maybe rework some systems like WoW did from Cataclysm onwards? Cata was released in 2010, so 6 years from releasing initial WoW they already started changing their game basics. Maybe rework mastery system? 536 points is a mockery of players already. Many new people are afraid of that number and that system, because too much content are time and story-gated from them by outdated GW2 systems.  Maybe give easier access to locations for new players. Like open 1 waypoint in each location for everyone. Rework GW2 for being more friendly for new players. If it will be done as part of big expansion like HoT was - that can bring a lot of players here. If they do marketing wisely ofc. Game is not dead at all. It just feel abandoned for a long time.

Edited by Petrified.9826
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Petrified.9826 said:

Point is - maybe they shouldn't develop new MMO and try to add something new to their catalog? Like Overwatch and Hearthstone by Blizzard.

I don't think that new MMO without really big genre changing ideas will bring them more money long-term. They could say "Nothing will be transfered" and many people will be forced to buy many store items like tabs, slots etc. again. But does this short term profits justify developing new game in the same genre? More like they can lose trust from their loyal playerbase. Why buy tabs again if I already bought them in the same game from them?

We don't even know can they give us anything really new or just same game but with different graphics, story, new legendaries to obtain from scratch? Maybe developing more great expansions for GW2 will be better money wise? Maybe rework some systems like WoW did from Cataclysm onwards? Cata was released in 2010, so 6 years from releasing initial WoW they already started changing their game basics. Maybe rework mastery system? 536 points is a mockery of players already. Many new people are afraid of that number and that system, because too much content are time and story-gated from them by outdated GW2 systems.  Maybe give easier access to locations for new players. Like open 1 waypoint in each location for everyone. Rework GW2 for being more friendly for new players. If it will be done as part of big expansion like HoT was - that can bring a lot of players here. If they do marketing wisely ofc. Game is not dead at all. It just feel abandoned for a long time.

I agree. Also don't forget the abandoned spvp with Legacy of the Foefire since 2012 😄 I mean, why they can't just make something similar to other games, like capture the flag and so on. There are many good examples from other game which they can do their own iteration for. They don't have to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

- On the topc of not wanting to work on the same title for more than a decade. Ok.  So? There are thousands of companies that have been making the same exact product for decades. My first job was wokring on supporting a machine that was designed and built in the 90s and is still running more or less the same today. That's the business world. Even entertainment works the same way. There are several TV shows that have ran for 10+ years. People still love them. People who don't want to work on them don't have to. Just don't accidentally get a job there. Makes zero commercial sense to kill something that is working just because "well, it's been around a while!"

- On the point of tech being around too long. Ok, what is the current hot thing in MMOs that everyone wants, but Guild Wars 2 cannot do?

- The "tech moves on and so should you" is a non-point. Chasing industry trends is silly. Lots of tried and true companies around that have established markets. Guild Wars 2 is not currently dying becuase it's not taking advantage of some fancy new tech. 

- I don't even know what point you are trying to make with that one. "Don't try to grow your user base too much or cater too much to your dedicated fans!" ? What?!

1. Oh I agree that there will always be a few qualified people to work on what could be considered antiquated tech (thank god!), but the fact is that you're not drawing in new blood by sticking with it. I also haven't mentioned killing anything off since we still don't know anything about it, really. It boils down to GW3 potentially being a new product/service, and every business comes up with a new product/service every once in a while, without shutting down what's been working up til now unless deemed necessary.
  2. The tech and the industry know-how evolve constantly, and I'm not just talking about the MMO genre. But to answer your question about what everyone wants, how about some decent framerate to start with? I love GW2 for what it is but I don't see a world where Anet is able to fix the framerate shitting the bed as soon as more than 30 characters are on screen no matter how beefy your specs.
  3. Again I don't think GW2 is dying (as far as I can tell) so I don't know why you'd make that point. That being said, there are always new efficient ways to develop games, with technology that's unfortunately not always compatible with your current development process. Keeping up with the industry is vital, especially in one as fast-moving as video game development. I mean no offence, but pretending otherwise is pretty delusional to me.
  4. Simple example but consider the following:
  • Long-time veterans that have long since reached endgame and accomplished most of their goals have been asking for more content
  • A lot of new players never make it to the endgame because the new player experience is antiquated and objectively not very interesting when that's (arguably) the most important part of a game to hook new players in

While admittedly Anet has made progress on both fronts, it still isn't enough and there comes a point where it's not just about not being able to please everyone, but spreading your resources too thin on a game that demands an ever increasing amount of care to succeed. At some point, it's just easier to start with a new blank slate on which you have a higher degree of control rather than trying to make something work and eventually fail.

Edited by PyaKura.4895
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:
  1. Keeping up with the industry is vital, especially in one as fast-moving as video game development. I mean no offence, but pretending otherwise is pretty delusional to me.

Keeping up with who? Genre is barely alive with top 4 games being WoW (2004), FF14 (2013 for second release), GW2 (2012) and TESO (2014). Other games are just not that good, don't have such online or just some korean pay to win games which often not worth attention. 

Current generation of consoles already showed everyone that it's not worth it. Difference between PS4 and PS5 games are not groundbreaking and almost all of PS games from this gen still runs on PS4 except few games. That and MMORPG best games at the moment show that new games just for new technologies are not really worth it. At least for 2024 technologies. 

Edited by Petrified.9826
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Petrified.9826 said:

Keeping up with who? Genre is barely alive with top 4 games being WoW (2004), FF14 (2013 for second release), GW2 (2012) and TESO (2014). Other games are just not that good, don't have such online or just some korean pay to win games which often not worth attention. 

Good thing I did say I wasn't just talking about the MMO genre, but I guess I should have specified production techniques, game design choices, and so on...

Also, if you are even remotely following the MMO scene, there is actually a demand for a new MMO that isn't what we already have. And that's exactly why several studios, both well-versed in MMO development, and other new actors (such as Fantastic Pixel Castle - very interesting concept there), are rising up to the challenge! There's a reason Riot has very recently decided to scrap pretty much all of their work on their MMO and start from scratch because they were not convinced the MMO experience they were going to offer differed enough from what already exists on the market.

Edit: You and I might be perfectly fine with what we already have, but gaming habits and trends have changed over the years, and I for one am willing to move with the times. If you aren't taking any risks, then there's no room for evolution.

Edited by PyaKura.4895
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:
  1. Oh I agree that there will always be a few qualified people to work on what could be considered antiquated tech (thank god!), but the fact is that you're not drawing in new blood by sticking with it. I also haven't mentioned killing anything off since we still don't know anything about it, really. It boils down to GW3 potentially being a new product/service, and every business comes up with a new product/service every once in a while, without shutting down what's been working up til now unless deemed necessary.
  2. The tech and the industry know-how evolve constantly, and I'm not just talking about the MMO genre. But to answer your question about what everyone wants, how about some decent framerate to start with? I love GW2 for what it is but I don't see a world where Anet is able to fix the framerate shitting the bed as soon as more than 30 characters are on screen no matter how beefy your specs.
  3. Again I don't think GW2 is dying (as far as I can tell) so I don't know why you'd make that point. That being said, there are always new efficient ways to develop games, with technology that's unfortunately not always compatible with your current development process. Keeping up with the industry is vital, especially in one as fast-moving as video game development. I mean no offence, but pretending otherwise is pretty delusional to me.
  4. Consider the following:
  • Long-time veterans that have long since reached endgame and accomplished most of their goals have been asking for more content
  • A lot of new players never make it to the endgame because the new player experience is antiquated and objectively not very interesting when that's (arguably) the most important part of a game to hook new players in

While admittedly Anet has made progress on both fronts, it still isn't enough and there comes a point where it's not just about not being able to please everyone, but spreading your resources too thin on a game that demands an ever increasing amount of care to succeed. At some point, it's just easier to start with a new blank slate on which you have a higher degree of control rather than trying to make something work and eventually fail.

1. Making a GW3 would naturally cannibalize your GW2 playerbase because people will want to move the the newest, most currently supported game. Unless Anet wants to be the first company in history to continue making expansion/living world content for Guild Wars 2 while simultaneously growing Guild Wars 3 alongside it. If that is the case, then that's awesome! I would be super into that! People aren't worried that GW3 means that GW2 servers will shut down. They are worried that it means end of content for GW2. And if that is the case, the majority of the community will just move to GW3, thereby effectively killing the game.

2. I don't know that them making a new game will fix this issue. Having a large multi-agent game, even in single player, is a huge hit to the CPU. If they can't optimize their engine to run on even more cores than it does now, then I can see that being one of the reasons to switch over to a new one. But I haven't seen that being a huge detractor for the playerbase. More an annoyance.

3. My point is that Guils Wars is not dying. And thereofore I don't see why Anet would want to be looking to replace it already.

4. I think both of your points can be addressed within Guild Wars 2. I have seen lots of updates lately that have been slowly addressing new player experience. I personally have started two new characters this year and have found the leveling and questing experience to be significantly different and better than what I remember from years ago. Did you see the new glowy arrows pointing to items of interest or monsters that you need to kill for events? I only just noticed them within the last month. But boy does it make it more clear on what you are supposed to be doing. And the new event markers on the minimap that guide you toward the areas where active events are happening! Very cool! Plust the exploration markers that show up on the edges of the minimap to let you know where the nearest point of interest, waypoint, or vista is that you had not yet discovered. I love it!

As for veterans, I can't speak for everyone, but as someone who has been playing the game since Beta, and in fact since GW1 was out, I have been very happy with the new stuff introduced with SotO. Love the Wizard's Vault. LOVE the new weapon proficiencies. Love the new maps, and the leggy armour for us filthy casuals to grind for.

What is the reasoning for "starting with a new slate"? You do that when your current path is not working. Is Guild Wars 2 not working? 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, PyaKura.4895 said:

Good thing I did say I wasn't just talking about the MMO genre, but I guess I should have specified production techniques, game design choices, and so on...

Also, if you are even remotely following the MMO scene, there is actually a demand for a new MMO that isn't what we already have. And that's exactly why several studios, both well-versed in MMO development, and other new actors (such as Fantastic Pixel Castle - very interesting concept there), are rising up to the challenge! There's a reason Riot has very recently decided to scrap pretty much all of their work on their MMO and start from scratch because they were not convinced the MMO experience they were going to offer differed enough from what already exists on the market.

Maybe ANet shouldn't be on the front of new MMORPGs if they struggle with money. Even Blizzard (Microsoft), Bethesda (Microsoft) and Square Enix are not trying to make new MMOs and all new titles like New World by Amazon are failing. These companies have all they would need to make it - money, developers, reputation. But no one is interested in new MMOs now until it will be better than current best games. Even games like Throne & Liberty are meh, but meh made with Unreal Engine 5. Don't worth it.

Genre is not as popular as it was 10-15 years ago and doesn't have a lot of interest from 2000+ generation, so creating a good MMO not worth it. It's only worth if you know that would be a killer game

Edited by Petrified.9826
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Many have achieved the ultimate goal of having everything legendary.
The story of GW2 was finished with EoD.
We have too many maps and there are less and less players on the maps.
The engine is at the end.

Now we get a fictionalized story in the mists, ala WoW Shadowloands. With one of the worst expansion Soto since the beginning of GW2.

It's time to look forward and bring something fresh and new with one of the best engines ever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1