Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

So if the news hadn't yet hit you, it seems that the chairman of NCSoft, in a shareholder interview, confirmed that is GW3 is greenlit. The original news, in Korean, use e.g. Google Translate: https://m.inven.co.kr/webzine/wznews.php?idx=294408

Making a sequel for a MMO is always a bit risky. You might end up splitting the playerbase, and the whole franchise can significantly suffer from that - take, for example, EverQuest. It's also possible some people will not want to spend more money into GW2, if they feel that GW2 is going to go away and get replaced by GW3.

On the other hand, GW2's codebase by now is prolly pretty hefty and hard to expand. It's also difficult to do a significant graphics overhaul with the existing game. Models and textures would eventually need to be redone, etc.

It's also not confirmed, of course, that GW3 will even be a replacement for GW2. Maybe it will do a reverse Warcraft and be a RTS. Who knows.

I personally still see a lot of potential in GW2 and hope that this doesn't mean that GW2 gets less attention. There are also ways to mitigate e.g. consumer fears of spending money to a game that is going to be replaced. You can, for example, give a fraction of the GW2 account value back for GW3, etc.

Thoughts?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 7

Consider the publication source and that should speak for itself.   Until there is actually an official announcement from ANet that details concrete plans for a new game, I am not holding my breath.  What he said could have been poorly translated, taken out of context, or for all we know not even said. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 1

Let's kittening hope gw3 is not happening. 

If we get a official information from Anet that gw3 is in development, i probably stop playing gw2. 

No point. 

Also, I'm not gonna start a new MMO again. 

Seriously. I was looking forward to tonight's raids with my guild. 

But now I don't even feel like login in. 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 41
  • Sad 3

37 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

Consider the publication source and that should speak for itself.   Until there is actually an official announcement from ANet that details concrete plans for a new game, I am not holding my breath.  What he said could have been poorly translated, taken out of context, or for all we know not even said. 

I agree.

There were rumours that NCSoft had told shareholders Anet were working on an expansion for GW2 in early 2013 (over 2 years before HoT was released). I'm not sure if it was a mistranslation and they were referring to the Living World releases, or if it was completely made up, but either way it wasn't true.

For anything like this I'd at least want someone fluent in both English and Korean to translate it from an original transcript, because there's a lot that can get lost with summaries and automatic translation. A common English example is the confusion around items in the gem store being 'on sale' which can mean either 'available to buy' or 'discounted' depending on the context. (Or all the different things which can be called 'DLC'.) We've known for years Anet are working on at least 1 other game (which sounds unlikely to be GW3) so it could be about that. Or it could be the next GW2 expansion, or something they're going to say is not an expansion like how the LW wasn't an expansion or DLC. Or it could be entirely made up.

I'd prefer a direct, reliable source, ideally Anet saying it themselves, rather than speculation based on Google translate.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

If we assume that this is true - ANet is not the kind of company that could handle two games at once; they barely manage with one. They would have to either completely abandon GW2 or have someone else work on the new game. And if someone else were to work on GW3, "whatever comes out" would never be remotely as remarkable and amazing as GW2 (considering also its flaws).

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Antrix.4512 said:

If we assume that this is true - ANet is not the kind of company that could handle two games at once; they barely manage with one. They would have to either completely abandon GW2 or have someone else work on the new game. And if someone else were to work on GW3, "whatever comes out" would never be remotely as remarkable and amazing as GW2 (considering also its flaws).

Guild wars has already moved on from the previous game.

It was successful, whatever they reason, whatever their thought process was then, they should be using that thought process.

People seem to look at the negatives too much, like the games that failed.

Everyone forgets this is Guild Wars, Guild Wars already has proven successful track record, look within on what to do, not others.

Everyone forgets too, Guild Wars 1 was huge, very successful, it was #esports, it was not slowing down, and they made GW2 while that was happening.

It's not like GW1 was doing poorly and forced to switchover. Whatever their thought process or reason to goto GW2, they look within.

Looking at other MMORPGs and deciding information off of them, is a bad idea. Just because they all do one thing or do not something. Doesn't mean thats how it should be.

GW2 is innovative, does things against the norm. Ex. GW1 to GW2.

MMORPG lifespan, why does everyone look at everyone else and assume things. Norms change. Technology faster, what that mean? Your on Windows7. Technology is moving quickly. What do you do? In order to upgrade what happens? Your on an old technology stack, 2012. Whats a good thing to do? Just because no one else has done something, or not many others done it. Or someone has done it and failed.

GW1 to GW2 remember that. GW1 very successful, was not slowing down. GW2 happened. GW2 is doing great since GW1 transition.

So need to within. At successes not other peoples/companies failures.

Also NOTE:

If money is the main culprit, like people think anet is struggling with money and need to do stuff to make money.

Look at Diablo3 expansions. Not much copies sold.

Now Diablo4, 10 million copies sold.

Do you think Diablo3 expansion 2024, would draw in 10 million?

Do you think Diablo4 expansion 2024 would draw in 10 million?

Wheres the 10 million from, what brought in 10 million, whats the reason.

New game, New version.

Not no GW2 2024 expansion, 950k copies sold.

Its more like GW3 10 million copies sold.

New game draws in interest, expansions are not as interesting. So if money is the issue

New game = 

new foundation/up to date

fresh code, fresh, no bugs hindering advancement and what not

fresh database, no strange connections making it difficult to do fancy things

fresh start for everyone, MMORPG players, video gamers in general, fresh starts are fun

Wheres the data?

WoW, classic. What is it. Fresh start basically it.

EQ, TLP. What is it? Fresh start

Lots of data supporting new games = lots of copies sold = lots of players playing

Fresh start = You gonna be on the next WoW classic start? EQ TLP start? = lots of interest

Fresh start is not just game redoing it, it can be GW3. New game is fresh start samething.

Also note, its not good thing to do new game constantly.

WWE 2K23 WWE 2K24, no one likes that. So its something algrothim reading your audience. what they want, expectations. community is not dumb.

WWE 2K23 WWE 2K24 basically same game, same foundations not much new but considered a 'new game' but they make you charge full price and people notice and are not dumb.

So I would not advise MMORPGs to start trying a new game every year trend.

MMORPG lifespan need think about it.

GW1 to GW2 whatever they thought process was, whatever they were thinking, thats the secret sauce.

I believe there is a lifespan, all it takes whoever gonna do it in a big way and set the trend, do it successfully. (GW1 to me IS an MMORPG, so GW1 to GW2 is a successful use case)

Who else but GW1 to GW2 thought process people and how to go about the transition too. As in GW1 is discontinued. Why, why not continue? Best for the brand. Well GW series is looking good in the aftermath it was good move even though GW1 was doing very well. GW series basically lost #esports but the brand, the game continues. GW series.

Edited by uberkingkong.8041
  • Like 4
  • Confused 23
  • Sad 2

Well considering how much money NCSofts mobile games division makes, I can only assume GW3 would be on Mobile as well as PC. Not only that but since the mobile NCSoft games are loaded with extra monetization, NCSoft would assuredly want to stuff GW3 with all sorts of terrible microtransactions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tzaeru.3742 said:

I personally still see a lot of potential in GW2 and hope that this doesn't mean that GW2 gets less attention.

GW2 is already receiving less and less attention over the years, since Icebrood Saga... the quality of almost every type of content went down the hill after IBS release.

2 hours ago, tzaeru.3742 said:

There are also ways to mitigate e.g. consumer fears of spending money to a game that is going to be replaced. You can, for example, give a fraction of the GW2 account value back for GW3, etc.

They won't give people anything just like they didn't do it when GW2 was announced. I was one of the fools going after the max achievements for the Hall of Monuments back when GW2 was announced. Back in the day, they said something like "your accomplishments will not be lost" and "you will carry on with your legacy".. which led many people to believe that they would have some of their hard worked goodies.

What did we get from all that I put on my Hall of Monuments? Nothing that we actually worked for. We got a title (that honestly is worthless IMO), some skins and minis that were so ugly that you rarely saw people using it even when GW2 had just launched.

Just as an example, the Tormented Weapons set was super hard to make all by yourself on GW1.. it required to do some really long (around 4 hours each run) and difficult instanced end game content that if people were dead and no one had a rechargeable rez skill, it would be over. People were excited to think that they could have them back on GW2 because they added these skins in their Hall of Monuments. But reality hit hard when I found out that not only I didn't get my hard worked Tormented skins back, but they were re-released through the Black Lion Chest. So I had to pay to get them again.. even though I had them on my Hall of Monuments. The same happened to prestige armor skins, they should have been what we got through the HoM rewards.. untradeable skins that you can enjoy for having played their game for years.

I really doubt they'd not deceive the players again if GW3 ever releases.

Edited by leila.7962
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

What did we get from all that I put on my Hall of Monuments? Nothing that we actually worked for. We got a title (that honestly is worthless IMO), some skins and minis that were so ugly that you rarely saw people using it even when GW2 had just launched.

IDK, the Fiery Dragon Sword skin is so iconic in the game (plus it's a great light source) that it's cool to have it available via the HoM. I also still like the Heritage Light armor skins, but of course "ugly" or not is always a matter of taste.

12 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

The same happened to prestige armor skins, they should have been what we got through the HoM rewards..

Gotta admit, I miss my Vabbian Light armor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Who else but GW1 to GW2 thought process people and how to go about the transition too. As in GW1 is discontinued. Why, why not continue? Best for the brand. Well GW series is looking good in the aftermath it was good move even though GW1 was doing very well. GW series basically lost #esports but the brand, the game continues. GW series.

Easy, if GW3 is an MMO and GW2 goes the way of GW1, which it will, Arenanet is going to be know as the studio which regularly moves on from previous games.

Which is fine for some types of games, and not so great for others. I can already see the memes on GW3 launch:"Guild Wars 3 just out, did they announce GW4 yet?"

We will see but I personally am not seeing this as a great move forward. Reinventing the wheel over and over does not automatically make the car better which it is attached to.

Yet given I have no sway on things, I'm going to be fine with whatever this brings, though personally I am not at the age where I'm starting a new MMO any longer (if I was, I'd have given FF144,Eso or New World a try, I'd be following Ashes of Creation or any of the other newish MMOs. I don't because I had no interest which is the same in regards to a GW3 MMO).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 8
  • Confused 9

31 minutes ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Guild wars has already moved on from the previous game.

It was successful, whatever they reason, whatever their thought process was then, they should be using that thought process.

People seem to look at the negatives too much, like the games that failed.

Everyone forgets this is Guild Wars, Guild Wars already has proven successful track record, look within on what to do, not others.

Everyone forgets too, Guild Wars 1 was huge, very successful, it was #esports, it was not slowing down, and they made GW2 while that was happening.

It's not like GW1 was doing poorly and forced to switchover. Whatever their thought process or reason to goto GW2, they look within.

Looking at other MMORPGs and deciding information off of them, is a bad idea. Just because they all do one thing or do not something. Doesn't mean thats how it should be.

GW2 is innovative, does things against the norm. Ex. GW1 to GW2.

MMORPG lifespan, why does everyone look at everyone else and assume things. Norms change. Technology faster, what that mean? Your on Windows7. Technology is moving quickly. What do you do? In order to upgrade what happens? Your on an old technology stack, 2012. Whats a good thing to do? Just because no one else has done something, or not many others done it. Or someone has done it and failed.

GW1 to GW2 remember that. GW1 very successful, was not slowing down. GW2 happened. GW2 is doing great since GW1 transition.

So need to within. At successes not other peoples/companies failures.

Too much fluff, too little substance. It’s like google translate or an attempt at philosophizing that just turned into a collection of random words strung together and occasionally separated by punctuation marks.

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I speak both Korean and English and can confirm that he is saying that Guild Wars 3 is in the works. There's no mistranslation here. He is visibly saying that ArenaNet is "currently" making GW3. There's no runaround, he is not only saying it's greenlit, but actually saying it's currently being made.

Editing this so people see my comment from below:

NCSoft corrected the statement in an update:
"Guild Wars 3 is still under consideration, and the start of development has not been finalized."

Here's an article regarding its development that I found after searching in Korean

This article also showcases the updated statement as above.

Edited by purp.1806
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 23
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, purp.1806 said:

I speak both Korean and English and can confirm that he is saying that Guild Wars 3 is in the works. There's no mistranslation here. He is visibly saying that ArenaNet is "currently" making GW3. There's no runaround, he is not only saying it's greenlit, but actually saying it's currently being made.

Even if it was only greenlit and not worked on, how would you explain job postings of last 2 years. Oh ANet is making 2 AAA MMOs and maintaining the third.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

We knew GW3 was in the works since september 2022. Its basically the unnanounced project on UE5. Even people trying to be on denial face and streamers saying its imposible, yeah its more than posible.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

14 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Easy, if GW3 is an MMO and GW2 goes the way of GW1, which it will, Arenanet is going to be know as the studio which regularly moves on from previous games.

Which is fine for some types of games, and not so great for others. I can already see the memes on GW3 launch:"Guild Wars 3 just out, did they announce GW4 yet?"

We will see but I personally am not seeing this as a great move forward. Reinventing the wheel over and over does not automatically make the car better which it is attached to.

Yet given I have no sway on things, I'm going to be fine with whatever this brings, though personally I am not at the age where I'm starting a new MMO any longer (if I was, I'd have given FF144,Eso or New World a try, I'd be following Ashes of Creation or any of the other newish MMOs. I don't because I had no interest which is the same in regards to a GW3 MMO).

Yes, however. GW1 was 2005-2012, 7 years, GW2 is 2012 - current 12 years.

Thats why I stress MMORPG lifespan. Its not like WWE 2K

Then its exactly what you said, "regularly moves on from previous games."

Thing with WWE 2K, its basically the same game too, very lazy. Same game just considered new and full price. 2K24 steam Mixed reviews as not good.22 23 was somewhat positive, but if you Mixed, thats bad. Not bad bad but thats bad.

Anyways, lifespan. 7 to 12 years? Thats a lot of time. Its not like your timespent was for nothing, it was for 7 to 12 years, plenty of time. 7 to 12 years is a lot of years that went by. Your totally different person 7 years ago, 12 years ago. Your thought process etc. Your not longer college student your someone pursuing more pay, already working, etc or whatever.

You have to think about the next generation, the brand continuing, its not just you. Your time, games catering to you, etc. They did that 7 to 12 years.

Do you want the GW series to continue to be great, continue to be good, not considered an old player game, where old play it.

Game lasts 7 years thats more than enough time your not a job hopper, your not a "regularly moves on from previous games."

If you move on every 7 to 12 years, thats not unusual.

Think Skyrim, its like The next Skyrim, WHEN?

its opposite of "regularly moves on from previous games."

Game never moves. Game lost its thing because Morrowind 3 years later Oblivion 3 years later Skyrim, 12+ years....

Hrmm. what happened. It was a good thing to be "regularly moves on from previous games." for that 3 years was good amount of time, good lifespan of that game.

But now 12+ years its now moreso, what happened. Skyrim is old now.

How about GW2.

MMORPG lifespan, ideal lifespan because any MMORPG can just continue forever but is that ideal good for the brand?

btw, new game,

What do you think about the next elder scrolls.

I'm thinking 20 million copies sold. Why. What I said before. New games draw people in.

Too many games these days 12+ years and people scratching heads, when is the next? When the new one?

GTA, Elder scrolls, been a long time.

GW2??? Same boat??? Just its MMORPG doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean it has to follow the other old MMORPGs and operate how they operate.

GW1 to GW2, very good transition. GW1 would have been just fine if they kept pushing out GW1 expansions. GW1 would be just fine.

But it could be an "old people play game" because it didn't new version and attract the younger people, draw in other people. Continue the brand.

Edited by uberkingkong.8041
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

Pretty terrible that players will take anything they see on the internet and treat it like it's official, instead of actually reading what was in it, even the article said google translate did a poor job translating korean, now you got some making youtube videos claiming it's official, anyone will do anything for clicks, sad state of the internet.

• Like 4
  • Confused 18

1 hour ago, Antrix.4512 said:

Ya, not sure i agree with they can't handle one, where's the concreate evidence of that.

• Confused 6

Here's another article regarding its development that I found after searching in Korean.

The update states that NCSoft corrected the statement:

"Guild Wars 3 is still under consideration, and the start of development has not been finalized."

This article also showcases the updated statement as above.

So now you can all relax.

Edited by purp.1806
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2