Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

In my opinion, at least part of what would make GW3 a great game would be if it would have better graphics and sound (but also still adjustable for lower PC specs), and similar or preferably even better quality action combat compared to GW2.

And for the story one that would be really good and well-written, and either linear or in the case of branching storylines a variety of paths and choices which could lead to different good or bad endings, and the ability to freely go back to the beginning or to a different part of the storyline path to explore and experience the different possible paths and outcomes, kind of like the videogame version of the gamebooks of old.

And also especially optimization for handling even more players in the same area (really important for a better and more exciting gaming experience in this genre, since after all you're not really experiencing a massively multiplayer game unless it involves large swarms of players), which GW2 has done rather well to a significant extent considering the technical issues involved, but I would hope a GW3 would be able to handle even better.

Mostly though I hope that GW3 is at least several years away and that they make a big point of demonstrating their commitment to improving GW2 for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Considering how the MMO industry is running for the last few years, I wouldn't be excited to GW3

Last relevant and last longing title MMO launched was Black Desert (Last Ark is meme) and it's been 10 years

Chances are GW3 will suck badly with loot boxes and microtransactions kitten fest

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

Maybe not enough to go broke, but enough to have a significantly negative impact on the game. It happened to EverQuest, many people quit.

Point is, they should do something about it, because the last thing this game needs is less players or less revenue. 

Okay.  So what do you think should be done?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Nothing needs to be done IMO. Sure something like the Hall of Monuments wod be a nice gesture, perhaps even a good idea financially, but there is no, "should be done here."

GW3, if it gets developed, will be funded by NCSoft, not by GW2's revenue. The potential loss of revenue from GW2 (however small or great) due to player disengagement will be factored into the cost of developing GW3 (again a big IF).  Now, if the projected cost of development, including reduced GW2 revenue, looks to be non recoverable, or otherwise unlikely to reach ROI target then it wont be developed.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

That depends what GW3 will be. It might not be an MMO, it might be an RPG or even a mobile game, if so Anet should let us know. It might just be an upgrade to the game similar to what Counterstrike 2 or Overwatch 2 has done, again they should let us know.

If it will be an MMO, I think doing something similar to what GGG has done with PoE2, upgrades to the account such as bag space etc will carry over to the next game, would be a smart move. To those who grinded out legendaries, they get to at least keep the skins in the next game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Nothing needs to be done IMO. Sure something like the Hall of Monuments wod be a nice gesture, perhaps even a good idea financially, but there is no, "should be done here."

GW3, if it gets developed, will be funded by NCSoft, not by GW2's revenue. The potential loss of revenue from GW2 (however small or great) due to player disengagement will be factored into the cost of developing GW3 (again a big IF).  Now, if the projected cost of development, including reduced GW2 revenue, looks to be non recoverable, or otherwise unlikely to reach ROI target then it wont be developed.

And ncsoft is funded by the investors, if investors don't see a return on investment they will stop funding. For the past 8 years ncsoft in the west has been losing money. That's what this whole shemozzle is about.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

And ncsoft is funded by the investors, if investors don't see a return on investment they will stop funding. For the past 8 years ncsoft in the west has been losing money. That's what this whole shemozzle is about.

No, NCSoft is not funded by investors, or least not until they issue more stock. There is no ongoing fee/payment to be allowed to own stock. 

And, again, the potential loss of sales from GW2 as it becomes a lame duck (assuming that a GW3 actually gets developed and assuming that it is an MMO) is just part of the cost of development of GW3.

And....as much as one can argue that some portion of the player base might stop spending money in GW2 if it enters lame duck status, one could argue just as readily that giving away monetizable content in GW3 would reduce that games earning potential as well. I spend a lot of money on my main game of choice. Give me in GW3 what I paid for in GW2 and you have cut tens of thousands of dollars of potential income from the new game.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

No, NCSoft is not funded by investors, or least not until they issue more stock. There is no ongoing fee/payment to be allowed to own stock. 

And, again, the potential loss of sales from GW2 as it becomes a lame duck (assuming that a GW3 actually gets developed and assuming that it is an MMO) is just part of the cost of development of GW3.

And....as much as one can argue that some portion of the player base might stop spending money in GW2 if it enters lame duck status, one could argue just as readily that giving away monetizable content in GW3 would reduce that games earning potential as well. I spend a lot of money on my main game of choice. Give me in GW3 what I paid for in GW2 and you have cut tens of thousands of dollars of potential income from the new game.

If shareholders all sell their stock at the same time what then?

A loss of microtransactions is a small price to pay to retain customers, that's why GGG is doing exactly that with PoE2. And microtransactions are PoE's only source of revenue. GW2 and 1 have both been buy to play games, therefore it's safe to assume GW3 will be the same, so Anet aren't as reliant on microtransactions.

Many EverQuest players straight up just quit the game when EverQuest 2 was released and the franchise has never recovered.

If you think doing nothing is the best course of action, well it didn't end well for EverQuest.

Edited by hellsmachine.4085
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

If shareholders all sell their stock at the same time what then?

Then there will be a bunch of new shareholders. This does not reduce the company's revenue because the company is not participating in those trades. Now it may drive the stock's price down temporarily if the business fundamentals are solid and the sell off is baseless. But like as not that will mean some new saavy shareholders who recognized that the sellers were making a mistake. Otherwise, of course, the sell off couldnt occur as there would be no one wanting to buy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

A loss of microtransactions is a small price to pay to retain customers

Sorry to respond in a second post but this is incorrect. Retaining customers is largely irrelevant if they are not paying. Microtransactions are the primary source of revenue. In GW2 expansions have bordered on being loss leaders, barely recouping cost of production specifically to drive gemstore sales. Undercutting your primary income source is a solid way to kill your company unless you have some expectation that you can recover that revenue elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Sorry to respond in a second post but this is incorrect. Retaining customers is largely irrelevant if they are not paying. Microtransactions are the primary source of revenue. In GW2 expansions have bordered on being loss leaders, barely recouping cost of production specifically to drive gemstore sales. Undercutting your primary income source is a solid way to kill your company unless you have some expectation that you can recover that revenue elsewhere.

They will still be paying because GW2 is buy to pay. There's always more products being introduced to the gem store, but whatever, if this is what you want, enjoy your "lame duck". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/28/2024 at 11:43 PM, Firebeard.1746 said:

If it was a completely different experience and genre with them continuing to update and work on GW2, I'd totally be down.

If "continuing to work on GW2" means what they have been releasing with Gyala Delve and Inner Nayos, even the sloppy texture work for EoD, then there is absolutely no point in continuing working on GW2. The game is not enjoyable on that level.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Just because a fraction of 1% of a player base cannot understand relative value and look jealously at others, does not make it a thing.

39 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

They will still be paying because GW2 is buy to pay. There's always more products being introduced to the gem store, but whatever, if this is what you want, enjoy your "lame duck". 

This isn't really true, i and many many others have got to the point where we would love to invest more the game, but there's nothing left to buy of interest in the gem shop. 

So, question becomes what would i buy for gems?

- More build templates

-Housing (I know not realistic, but i would buy it) then housing stuff, lots of.

- Weapons

- Dungeons

- a new PVP mode, like GW1 Battlegrounds.

- new siege weapons for WVW

Not new PVE maps.

The problem with all this is that many people have stockpiles of gold via wizards vault, which was a bit of an own goal by anet.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

This isn't really true, i and many many others have got to the point where we would love to invest more the game, but there's nothing left to buy of interest in the gem shop. 

They don't introduce new cosmetics? Or are you talking about things that gives you an advantage over other players?

Either way, I find it weird that people are more or less asking for their current purchases to not be carried over to GW3. Please daddy! Take my money away! 🙄

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

They don't introduce new cosmetics? Or are you talking about things that gives you an advantage over other players?

Either way, I find it weird that people are more or less asking for their current purchases to not be carried over to GW3. Please daddy! Take my money away! 🙄

its a game, they aren't real things you know, what matters is having fun.  As per GW1 to GW2 Hall of monuments worked perfectly.  As for cosmetics, im happy with the multiple looks I have with my gear, there's nothing left cosmetics wise.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Sad 1

It seems the entire gaming press jumped the bandwagon and they take it as a confirmed, upcoming game. I think this is a PR disaster and the worst thing that happened in the entire lifespan of GW2.

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-3-ncsoft-arenanet-mmo-rpg-announcement-1851372055

https://www.gamesradar.com/veteran-mmo-studio-casually-reveals-guild-wars-3-is-in-development-and-fans-arent-sure-how-to-feel/

https://www.gamereactor.eu/report-guild-wars-3-has-been-greenlit-1374703/

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ncsoft-confirms-guild-wars-3-170000700.html

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/guild-wars-3-in-development-fans-express-concerns-for-guild-wars/z56b7f

https://gameland.gg/guild-wars-3-is-officially-confirmed-what-happens-after-its-release/

Also loads of non-english articles and countless youtube videos have been made.
From what I've seen, a large portion of the playerbase is upset, they don't want to start over.
This will tank gemstore sales and interest in the next expansion on a level that we have never seen before.
Anet's generic statement is no longer sufficient at this point, they need to come up with a believable statement asap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

its a game, they aren't real things you know, what matters is having fun.  As per GW1 to GW2 Hall of monuments worked perfectly.  As for cosmetics, im happy with the multiple looks I have with my gear, there's nothing left cosmetics wise.

It's as real as Bitcoin or the money in your bank account and there's nothing fun about losing any of it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Azinoth.1902 said:

From what I've seen, a large portion of the playerbase is upset, they don't want to start over.
This will tank gemstore sales and interest in the next expansion on a level that we have never seen before.
Anet's generic statement is no longer sufficient at this point, they need to come up with a believable statement asap.

lol people will moan at anything.

We have GW3 to look forward to, in the mean time we have years of play in GW2 knowing we have something new longer term to look forward to.  A player who enjoys GW2 is not going to stop playing out of spite, its cutting their own nose of to spite their face.  And if a new player is unhappy with GW2 then win for them.

This is just negativity for the sake of negativity.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

lol people will moan at anything.

We have GW3 to look forward to, in the mean time we have years of play in GW2 knowing we have something new longer term to look forward to.  A player who enjoys GW2 is not going to stop playing out of spite, its cutting their own nose of to spite their face.  And if a new player is unhappy with GW2 then win for them.

This is just negativity for the sake of negativity.

I understand that is your opinion. But if a huge part of the playerbase is upset, it needs to be adressed by Anet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

It's as real as Bitcoin or the money in your bank account and there's nothing fun about losing any of it.

lol no its not.  Money in my account is wealth I have not consumed.  Items i have bough in a gemstore is my contribution to GW2 which in turn gives me pleasure every day.  When GW3 comes along i full expect a new Hall of Monuments, and I will certainly be excited at a new MMORPG to play that is also a continuation of the GW universe.  My only concern would be where GW3 is not as good as GW2 from a gameplay perspective (i.e the fluidity of combat and build options.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Huge?  I don't think so.

Then just read the comments on reddit, youtube, and elsewhere. If you think it's completely fine from NC/Anet to put the game into its current state with this PR Leak, I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1