Next-Level Fashion Wars: Cosmetic Inspect Coming to Guild Wars 2 April 16!

1 hour ago, Valkyrie.5987 said:

As someone who obsesses over ingame fashion a lot, this. Just this.

I put in time and effort thinking about what works, the fact someone can right click on my character and just straight up copy everything is just 💀💀💀

I'm fine with it if it's an opt-in kind of thing. Cool, knock yourself out.

It is an opt-in kind of thing. You opt in by showing that stuff to others. You show it by wearing it.

Basically, by deciding upon a certain look and showing up in it in a public instance you have already made it public.

Besides, in the words of Oscar Wilde, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 16

I really thought this community could not go lower than the raid elitists, but the "fashion community" have surpassed them with this insane amount of whining about this.

Fashion in an MMO is to be shared, to the point options like this are a given in many MMORPGs, and you people are legitimately trying to gatekeep it, it's beyond pathetic in a game where so many of you jump down someone's throats for daring to ask what your build is for raids or strikes.

Edited by Amantiel.3542
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 25
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 29

Just now, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Soo...it's been 'gatekept' for nearly 12 years?  Why have we not heard lamentations every day/month/year since launch?  How is having it be opt-in 'gatekeeping'?  🤦‍♂️

You cannot be asking this as if what i said was just so unbelievable. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15

2 hours ago, LarienAnnare.7423 said:

I might be in the minority here, but please have a way to turn this on and off. People who love fashion/fashion wars, can work for hours (or yes, even days) on looks to get it just right. Then anyone can copy it in 5 seconds? It's like stealing someone's art. Also, this means less community interaction. No reason to whisper someone or ask about an armor piece/dye. Most of the time I will freely give the info requested, but it's the act of asking and respect given that will no longer be done.

Aren't you the one who compared anyone who uses this to AI stealing art on Twitter?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 19

2 minutes ago, shadow.6174 said:

it just took longer and a few searches here and there

But at least they were not able to figure out what color combos you were using.

This now is truly impertinent. It's supporting laziness to be creative yourself and destroys the uniqueness of characters.

• Like 15
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 4

This is a total privacy violation! Unless we consent, our character should show up as the default PvP character model named "Player." How dare you look at my armour?! And anyone who read my name should be banned immediately!

And don't get me started on boons and conditions! My conditions are a private matter that are to be kept only between me and my healer!!!

Edited by Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, shadow.6174 said:

Funny how people are against it or want to opt-out.... as if finding out what others are using was impossible all this time (it just took longer and a few searches here and there) 😛

That's the thing, at least they put efforts into trying to "eyeball" the style. It is not going to be a 1:1 replica, and at that point that's fine, because you put the time and effort to do it, more than 2 CLICKS...

Edit:
And besides, if you ask politely, I'm sure that 99% of us will actually tell you what the skins are.

Edited by LoboRaptorLo.2603
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

So. I think it's kind of unhealthy/mildly impossible to gatekeep fashion- people can figure things out, there's no ownership of an aesthetic combination. But removing the social interaction or time investment in accomplishing it is a net negative. Instead of showing your interest to someone or knowing other real people have noticed your choices, radio silence. Instead of having to more closely observe and put in some effort,  you can just copy paste and your fashion is basically done. Fashion is a creative exercise- you don't get rewarded points (outside of fashion contests, which this will also likely complicate when actual prizes are involved), but like creating artwork, you do see when you've grown and developed and made something good. In addition to looking at cool character, the challenge of learning and improving is the reward.

I get the desire for convenience- just give me a pleasing look without the effort. Outfits have been a good answer for this. For customizing a look, fiddling around, developing an eye for skins, and fine tuning dyes has always been itself a game mode and I think allowing people to skip it all effortlessly disincentivizes systems of play that have kept people engaged for a decade.

I didn't even think about how this is going to complicate fashion contests until just now. Considering anet is using the term Fashion Wars, I wonder how they've thought about how this affects competitive fashion? It's not as though there's a singular Look That Wins Them All, but someone taking a big prize off of a copied look feels quite unfair to the person who spent the time putting it together. What tools are fashion contest organizers going to have to reward the actual creator and weed out copies? It's not really an issue right now because people with the skillset to replicate a look are more likely to be invested in making one of their own, but with the tools becoming very simple, I forsee it as a new problem.

Edited by eyestrain.3056
Thinking more about the impact on competitive fashion
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

Just now, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

I don't care if someone matches me. If they like my look enough to copy me, good on them, I'm flattered. 

HOWEVER, I understand other people not liking that, and I wouldn't say no to an "opt out" option being added for them.

And that's all we ask... a little bit of consideration for the efforts we put into dedicating to the Fashion Wars Craft.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, LoboRaptorLo.2603 said:

Edit:
And besides, if you ask politely, I'm sure that 99% of us will actually tell you what the skins are.

Oh sure, I also felt it nice when people complimented and asked about my skins and stuff. I'm not dismissing that. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kilty.4906 said:

Now would be a great time to introduce an option to swap between wardrobe looks and outfits. Currently, if you choose an outfit, it's selected for all the equipment tabs but sometimes you want an outfit for a determined gear and a wardrobe look for another.

Also, the selection to hide/view armor pieces, like gloves, headpieces, backpacks, etc, is across all equipment tabs, and you can't have different settings for different gears.

I'd also like to add that it would be great if the colours of the item were attached to the item rather than the slot. I like to use a couple of outfits for role-playing occasionally and having the dye channels be shared by all outfits creates a lot of extra work, having to swap dyes back and forth every time,.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, eyestrain.3056 said:

So. I think it's kind of unhealthy/mildly impossible to gatekeep fashion- people can figure things out, there's no ownership of an aesthetic combination. But removing the social interaction or time investment in accomplishing it is a net negative. Instead of showing your interest to someone or knowing other real people have noticed your choices, radio silence. Instead of having to more closely observe and put in some effort,  you can just copy paste and your fashion is basically done. Fashion is a creative exercise- you don't get rewarded points (outside of fashion contests, which this will also likely complicate when actual prizes are involved), but like creating artwork, you do see when you've grown and developed and made something good. In addition to looking at cool character, the challenge of learning and improving is the reward.

I get the desire for convenience- just give me a pleasing look without the effort. Outfits have been a good answer for this. For customizing a look, fiddling around, developing an eye for skins, and fine tuning dyes has always been itself a game mode and I think allowing people to skip it all effortlessly disincentivizes systems of play that have kept people engaged for a decade.

I didn't even think about how this is going to complicate fashion contests until just now. Considering anet is using the term Fashion Wars, I wonder how they've thought about how this affects competitive fashion?

Gatekeeping is such a misused term...
It's gatekeeping when people don't want to ask...

If the community was as friendly as they think it is, then surely we would answer the fashion question voluntarily.
We all agree that this debate is because that choice is taken away from us.

I could have asked 100G per Fashion Advice I keep giving, Fashion Showcases that I do every single nights. But I do them for free... with this in place, and purely because of this new "upgrade", I'm not sure that I'm as willing to do things for free anymore.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 10

1 hour ago, Kilty.4906 said:

Now would be a great time to introduce an option to swap between wardrobe looks and outfits. Currently, if you choose an outfit, it's selected for all the equipment tabs but sometimes you want an outfit for a determined gear and a wardrobe look for another.

Also, the selection to hide/view armor pieces, like gloves, headpieces, backpacks, etc, is across all equipment tabs, and you can't have different settings for different gears.

I'd also like to add that it would be great if the colours of the item were attached to the item rather than the slot. I like to use a couple of outfits for role-playing occasionally and having the dye channels be shared by all outfits creates a lot of extra work, having to swap dyes back and forth every time,.

5 hours ago, Sirius.4510 said:

having a way to share stat information more quickly would be useful for things like raid training.

I wouldn't mind to share my stats. I do, however, mind having my characters' looks (especially the hours I spent on colors) revealed with simply a click. I want an opt-out option.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 10

9 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

This is a total privacy violation! Unless we consent, our character should show up as the default PvP character model named "Player." How dare you look at my armour?! And anyone who read my name should be banned immediately!

And don't get me started on boons and conditions! My conditions are a private matter that are to be kept only between me and my healer!!!

HIPAA/PIPEDA violations in GW2? Time to get out the big lawyer money!

Like I said in the other thread, I don't mind if someone copies me, even on looks I've spent significant time on (especially with items/dyes that they will have a hell of a difficult time getting 😂), but I understand other people not liking an easy way for someone to do a one-to-one rip of their drip, and an opt-out button for them could be an option. I have no idea how long it'd take Anet to implement such an option, but, yeah.

Edited by QueenKeriti.5176
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, shadow.6174 said:

Oh sure, I also felt it nice when people complimented and asked about my skins and stuff. I'm not dismissing that. 🙂

Exactly, the Inspect Feature is completely going to mitigate this...
In fact, I'm going to suggest another solution:
To make Inspect a "Request" function, the player can agree or decline to let people inspect them.

It's more chore for the players, but in the end, it does add a level of safeguard.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, LoboRaptorLo.2603 said:

If the community was as friendly as they think it is, then surely we would answer the fashion question voluntarily.

Just to answer this. This is incorrect as it doesn't address natural player shyness or language barriers.

(for the record I have no objection to the idea of a toggle being be added. I have no issue with it either way)

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

HIPAA/PIPEDA violations in GW2? Time to get out the big lawyer money!

Like I said in the other thread, I don't mind if someone copies me, even on looks I've spent significant time on (especially with items/dyes that they will have a hell of a difficult time getting 😂), but I understand other people not liking an easy way for someone to do a one-to-one rip of their drip, and an opt-out button for them could be an option. I have no idea how long it'd take Anet to implement such an option, but, yeah.

Ok, but for those of us into the fashion game, who recognize the armour pieces and for those with eyes who can see colours, how are they currently stopped from just looking at your outfit and copying it, if they were so inclined?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6