Next-Level Fashion Wars: Cosmetic Inspect Coming to Guild Wars 2 April 16!

2 hours ago, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

I welcome eying someone and right clicking their portrait to view their fashion template over "I'ma go spend 30 mins looking for this skin because I'm too social awkward to ask and running away 'cause I was caught staring."

Huzzuh!

adorable.

Pretty good QoL feature, that doesn't reach into data that could be used for metagaming. It's good to know they consider builds to be private data (the raid logs will tell you what you need to know anyway. Relax.)

I'd personally like the inspect to be voluntary too, but it's hardly a point of contention compared to the overall benefits of the feature. Nice work. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I don't think it really adds anything to the game, we've always had the option to ask players what skins they're using or look it up. But maybe it was relatively quick to do and ties into some of the other work they mentioned.

I'm glad it's cosmetic only though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I'm kinda looking forward to the hate I'm going to be getting for this, but as a fashionista I'm looking forward to this. I find it flattering when somebody wants to know what armors I have on, or what dyes/infusions I'm using. I'll spend weeks and months working on a look, your characters look is never truly done; so if someone borrows my look good for them. That means I did something other people like and that works for me.

Edited by Red Haired Savage.5430
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 4

To answer seriously about the topic.

I don't mind if people watch my look or not. i didn't ask the style of players in the past. And if someone ask me, i answer and give the look so this feature doesn't really bother me in my case.

But i have a question, does people can see the style of the armor if we wear an outfit ?

Edited by Valaraukar.7652
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LarienAnnare.7423 said:

I might be in the minority here, but please have a way to turn this on and off. People who love fashion/fashion wars, can work for hours (or yes, even days) on looks to get it just right. Then anyone can copy it in 5 seconds? It's like stealing someone's art. Also, this means less community interaction. No reason to whisper someone or ask about an armor piece/dye. Most of the time I will freely give the info requested, but it's the act of asking and respect given that will no longer be done.

Read above and you will see that you aint alone here thinking this... I think the Fashion Community are all together on this.
This is too easy for others players to not put anything on the table.

It's almost like, using the Inspect on a player should reward that inspected player at least 1 or 2g to make for it. Cause in the end the inspected players is the losing party of that "trade". Otherwise I am pretty sure this will kill the motivation of most Fashion Warriors to continue to study and research working fashion.

I enjoy when people comes to me and say "I like your style, mind if I ask you which pieces are those."
It incentive actually socializing and interacting with each other, this method is like giving people a reason to to not interact with each others (kind of Counter-Productive for an MMO, if you ask me).

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 15

1 hour ago, Farming Flats.5370 said:

I want a toggle off for this.  I want a choice if I want to share or not.

As someone who obsesses over ingame fashion a lot, this. Just this.

I put in time and effort thinking about what works, the fact someone can right click on my character and just straight up copy everything is just 💀💀💀

I'm fine with it if it's an opt-in kind of thing. Cool, knock yourself out.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 16

I love playing Fashion Wars. I change my characters' looks fairly often, usually sticking with a set theme for each character. I love it all, and I really could not care less if someone else wants to copy parts of (or even all of) that look. That being said, I think an opt in/opt out option wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie.5987 said:

As someone who obsesses over ingame fashion a lot, this. Just this.

I put in time and effort thinking about what works, the fact someone can right click on my character and just straight up copy everything is just 💀💀💀

I'm fine with it if it's an opt-in kind of thing. Cool, knock yourself out.

You do realize one can just take a screenshot of your character and post it on like reddit, which will result in both having your setup disclosed (with maybe a slight doubt on the exact dye) and having it shared to even more people? 🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Please, make this optional.

GW2 is often known as Fashion Wars 2, and it takes skill and a good eye to come up with individual and balanced looks for characters. Groups run fashion shows where players are encouraged to match certain themes or use certain pieces and it really brings people together, learning more about the arts of complementary colours and how to work on improving the appearance of your characters, how to realise an idea in your head. It can be considered a whole new game mode in itself, available to someone who's just stepped into the game all the way up to people who've played all of the story and want to try their hand at a different challenge. Individuals can - and do - spend many hours choosing pieces and dyes and tweaking things so it's all perfectly balanced... and now someone can just waltz over and steal the exact blueprint for their look without even talking to them?

It's one thing to take inspiration from others, but to straight up steal the look that took them a lot of work and effort to create? Not fair.

I'm not one of those experts in end-game fashion and not all of my chars have cool looks, but I enjoy looking at the creative and crazy fashion that people who are super invested in it come up with. I also enjoy coming up with backstories and personalities for my characters, and while my efforts certainly don't hold a candle to that of the masters, I'm not happy with the idea of even my poor attempts at a unique look could just be copied by someone else with no effort.

Please: make this optional.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 25

Now would be a great time to introduce an option to swap between wardrobe looks and outfits. Currently, if you choose an outfit, it's selected for all the equipment tabs but sometimes you want an outfit for a determined gear and a wardrobe look for another.

Also, the selection to hide/view armor pieces, like gloves, headpieces, backpacks, etc, is across all equipment tabs, and you can't have different settings for different gears.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

As someone big into fashion, it will make inspiration so much easier to actually use, without having to delve into the bowels of the wiki galleries! It's hard to find a top someone's using without taking a screenshot and feeling like a stalker trying to match it to wiki images lol such easier and more discreet than how it's currently done 😅

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

You do realize one can just take a screenshot of your character and post it on like reddit, which will result in both having your setup disclosed (with maybe a slight doubt on the exact dye) and having it shared to even more people? 🙂

Sure, but that's extra effort and not as accessible as this. Not even close, and there's a margin for error due to humans being involved. This is just two clicks away from seeing literally everything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 9

I think this is awesome. I'd be over-the-moon thrilled if somebody loved my characters' looks enough to copy part or even all of them. Do I work hard to ensure each character is unique? Yes. Would I mind if someone copied me? Not in the slightest.

And it'll be super useful for trying to figure out that lovely dye on someone's clothes. Due to varying lighting conditions - and my own monitor's color settings - I can't tell what particular dyes are sometimes, even with trying to match it on my own character.

• Like 16
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I'm against this solely because asking another player what skins they're using is a useful and positive prompt for interaction with other people in the world. Even as a shy and solitary person, there is never a time it's been awkward or unpleasant. It's always a compliment to the person being asked. Everyone loves having their taste acknowledged and the reward of being noticed.

Thinking about all the times people will miss out on knowing their fashion choices stood out or were interesting to their fellow players bums me out.

When fashion wars is such a fundamental end game goal in a multiplayer game, it just seems like bad design to skip players past social interaction via the interface. That's the opposite of what you want.
Conceivably you could have the inspection request bring up a prompt requesting permission for the inspected and that would address concerns about consent as well as notification that you're being appreciated, but a popup saying "someone wants to see your gear" would just scare the kitten out of anyone who didn't understand what it means, and a disclaimer explaining the details would be terribly obtrusive and annoying in active gameplay situations. It's all just worse than the current simplicity of someone asking "what's that helm?" In whisper.

Edited by eyestrain.3056
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 10