I'm confused about crafting

I haven't played in a very long time and wanted to focus on crafting while I play this time around but I'm not sure if I'm meant to have each of my characters stick to 2 crafting skills or have more than 2 on one character and just pay the fee. My old guardian has Armorsmith at 100, chef at 200, artificer at 400, jeweler at 122, tailor at 178 and weaponsmith at 76.

I read there's daily crafting materials at 400/450+ so does it mean it's worth maxing them all on as many characters as possible or are the daily crafts account bound? The general approach/strategy is a bit confusing.

Is it also possible to unlearn/reset a crafting skill? So I can see at a glance on my char screen who has which skill? Without having to keep track of things on a file externally.

Does it also matter which character is using which skill? Or all all crafts either account bound (including daily crafts), or sellable?

Edited by Wanna.4721

This may answer some questions:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

The only Daily Crafting I am aware of is the Wizard's Vault achievement that appears on certain days.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard's_Vault#Daily

It's not possible to unlearn/reset a Crafting Discipline.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
more info

44 minutes ago, Wanna.4721 said:

Does it also matter which character is using which skill? Or all all crafts either account bound (including daily crafts), or sellable?

Everything you can craft is either not bound or account-bound on aquire.  You can freely move them between characters until you actually use them (some items are soulbound on use).

Honestly, I just use alternate characters for additional crafting.  It's up to you if you prefer swapping characters or paying 10 silver.  All recipes are account-wide now, so that's not going to be a complicating factor.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

This may answer some questions:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

The only Daily Crafting I am aware of is the Wizard's Vault achievement that appears on certain days.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard's_Vault#Daily

It's not possible to unlearn/reset a Crafting Discipline.

I believe by Daily Crafting the OP is referring to the time-gated items required to craft the Ascended mats.

2 hours ago, Wanna.4721 said:

I haven't played in a very long time and wanted to focus on crafting while I play this time around but I'm not sure if I'm meant to have each of my characters stick to 2 crafting skills or have more than 2 on one character and just pay the fee. My old guardian has Armorsmith at 100, chef at 200, artificer at 400, jeweler at 122, tailor at 178 and weaponsmith at 76.

I read there's daily crafting materials at 400/450+ so does it mean it's worth maxing them all on as many characters as possible or are the daily crafts account bound? The general approach/strategy is a bit confusing.

Is it also possible to unlearn/reset a crafting skill? So I can see at a glance on my char screen who has which skill? Without having to keep track of things on a file externally.

If you already have all the crafts on one character there's no real benefit to moving them to another character.

Recipes now are account-wide, but this just means if you learn a recipe on any of your characters it will be accessible by any other characters who have access to the craft the recipe was for. Some recipes are craft-specific while others can be accessed by most or all crafting professions. The wiki is the best way to verify this as there are so many recipes now it would difficult to say which are which.

And the daily crafting materials are time-gated, meaning you can only craft 1 per day per account.

Most everything you craft can be sold, but many of the ascended materials (ie. time-gated ones) are account bound, and unless there was a recent change I'm not aware of, the end-result ascended items you craft (ie. weapons & armor) will also be account bound.

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

If you already have all the crafts on one character there's no real benefit to moving them to another character.

Recipes now are account-wide, but this just means if you learn a recipe on any of your characters it will be accessible by any other characters who have access to the craft the recipe was for. Some recipes are craft-specific while others can be accessed by most or all crafting professions. The wiki is the best way to verify this as there are so many recipes now it would difficult to say which are which.

And the daily crafting materials are time-gated, meaning you can only craft 1 per day per account.

Most everything you craft can be sold, but many of the ascended materials (ie. time-gated ones) are account bound, and unless there was a recent change I'm not aware of, the end-result ascended items you craft (ie. weapons & armor) will also be account bound.

So, bit of a strange thing here with ascended crafting.  Let's take wood products as an example.

Globs of Elder Spirit Residue can only be crafted 1/day for an account.  These are account bound.

Spiritwood Planks have no limitations to crafting and are not bound at all.  In fact, they are tradable.

Ascended staffs are all account bound.

15 hours ago, Tula.6021 said:

Why is crafting character bound anyway? Why not account bound?

At least one reason is to ensure you have it as an option for gaining XP.

With boosters and other items, maybe we don't do it much across the player population anymore, but for several of my characters I would have been annoyed if leveling, say, Tailoring on one character meant another could not also level tailoring for the XP.

Since the items aren't bound until used, it made sense to me that developing the skill is character bound.

Edit: I will say that, now, I would love to be able to access all the professions on any of my characters rather than having to remember which ones are armor smiths or artificers and without having to level each on every character.

Edited by synk.6907
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:57 AM, synk.6907 said:

I will say that, now, I would love to be able to access all the professions on any of my characters rather than having to remember which ones are armor smiths or artificers and without having to level each on every character.

Yeah.

I don't even want to start leveling crafting because of the character bound issue. With one exception, my characters are in places I don't want them to leave. Otherwise I forget where I wanted to keep playing them.
So 1 could do it if it was account wide. But on top of the character-bound problem, there's also the problem that 1 character can't even do all professions.

The system is not attractive.

And I didn't have any problems leveling. That went quickly. Just through the adventurer achievements. My 5 characters are all level 80.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Tula.6021 said:

With one exception, my characters are in places I don't want them to leave. Otherwise I forget where I wanted to keep playing them.

That's why Mistlock Sanctuary is my one indispensible QoL item. Any of my 15 mains (I don't do Alts!) can pop into Mistlock to visit crafting stations, the bank, the TP, vendors, whatever and then return from whence they came.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 8:56 PM, Wanna.4721 said:

Character selection screen shows which character can do armorsmithing, leatherworking,... Blah blah based on what you trained those characters on... Lookout for small symbol/icon in the character portrait

Keep in mind that GW2 is very alt-friendly.  Recipes that you buy from vendors, buy from TP, or get as drops are learned account-wide and shared by all characters and you have a shared currency, shared bank, shared material storage, even a small # of shared inventory, but the crafting skill is still character specific and there are many recipes learned through "discovery" (no recipe required) that remain character specific.  The expense of leveling the skill more than once just isn't worth the tiny incremental benefit because you can always log off your current character, swap to the one that can do the craft, chuck the items in the bank or shared inven, and swap back to the character that needs it.  A process that maybe adds a few minutes onto a process that you will rarely need to do.

• Like 1