[Visual] add option to replace all skins for a faithful game experience

Hello everyone,
I have loved this game for years but now I only launch de game to check if they have added an option to reduce the impact of skins on my experience.
For years now the game added a ton of new visual but to keep the players appealed developers added more bright / flashy / enormous skins which in the end break the faithfulness of the game.
I understand most people want to grind skins, but I think there is also a lot of people who want to play a visual consistent game.

The ideal solution would be to have an option which grant every player (even including yourself) to have the standard armor and weapon (the one you can buy at the merchant) in good quality of course. And I think you should apply the same logic to gliders and mount.
I know there is already a way to counter skins with very low graphics, but playing in potato mode is not helping players to enjoy the game (and for stupid reasons you will still lag from abusively colorful backpacks)

One great strength of GW2 is the random interaction between players, and we automatically feel closer to people who use the same tools as you to defeat the evil monsters. It instantly break the game consistency when I see a guys shooting unicorns with his bow or when another mount a spectral/rainbow raptor.
I deeply want to play with random guys and focus on how they play rather than on what they look. I heard in previous discussion that people want to show how hard they farmed or how much they spent but... if you want to force people who simply don't like skins, this would simply make them have a worst experience, why would anyone want that ?

In the end I don't really expect much support from other users, I guess most of the forum users are people who enjoy the game as it is now, I just needed to get this out of my mind because I want to give a chance for this game to be as nice as it was on day one.

Thank you for reading and have a nice game

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

The point of skins is so other players will see it, and potentially those people who see it will also be willing to spend money to buy those skins, thus the company earning money. At the end of the day this is a business, if you don't want to spend money on it then that is okay, but if majority of the players does not spend money on it, the game will not be sustainable. Putting an option to set the skin to the basic skin is a bad idea because it gives the ability for players to not see the skins that they designed specifically to earn money for the company.

You might say: "Well most people will probably not use it because they like skins".  Then there is no need for such feature, yes?

and if you say: "They should consider us who did not like too much visual effects on armors and give us an option to turn them off" then that means they are catering to the playerbase who are willing to spend time in their game but is not interested in items (skins) that will earn them money.

Sorry but the feature you ask will never be implemented just coming from a business and logical perspective. It is a bad business decision.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Jedrik.3109 said:

Smells like poor.

All the money in the world would not have helped you since the kitten precuror had to drop for someone first and they be willing to sell it 😁.

After that you would gone on a scavenger hunt to figure out what was needed for it to be craftd into a legendary.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Zeperio.4853 said:

The point of skins is so other players will see it, and potentially those people who see it will also be willing to spend money to buy those skins, thus the company earning money. At the end of the day this is a business, if you don't want to spend money on it then that is okay, but if majority of the players does not spend money on it, the game will not be sustainable. Putting an option to set the skin to the basic skin is a bad idea because it gives the ability for players to not see the skins that they designed specifically to earn money for the company

Sorry but the feature you ask will never be implemented just coming from a business and logical perspective. It is a bad business decision.

I am sorry but your financial analysis is wrong.
I have spent a lot of my money  in inventory slots and extension and live story... and I would continue to do so if I can have a good experience
I am sure to not be alone and this feature is very cheap to develop for getting back a forgotten player base
Don't worry skins enjoyer will have the same incentive to spend their money, and in a bonus they won't be arguing any more with people complaining about kitten visuals

• Confused 11

21 minutes ago, Eta.5904 said:

I am sorry but your financial analysis is wrong.
I have spent a lot of my money  in inventory slots and extension and live story... and I would continue to do so if I can have a good experience
I am sure to not be alone and this feature is very cheap to develop for getting back a forgotten player base
Don't worry skins enjoyer will have the same incentive to spend their money, and in a bonus they won't be arguing any more with people complaining about kitten visuals

you are saying: less items for players to spend on = better for the business???

Edited by Zeperio.4853
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Do you know about the fairly recent option to disable other player effects which is already a great addition and already disables some of the worst effects like infusion and useless spell effects?

I would be interested in even more options like the ability to disable minies, tonics and pretty much all equipment particle effects.

I know your proposal is of a somewhat different nature. Im not too keen on looking at greatsword wielding girls with shades and angel wings. But Im not sure I would have generic models turned on if all were exactly the same. At least outside of pvp. There would need to be some variety of generic outfits baked in. Then I would be actually interested in.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Do you know about the fairly recent option to disable other player effects which is already a great addition and already disables some of the worst effects like infusion and useless spell effects?

I would be interested in even more options like the ability to disable minies, tonics and pretty much all equipment particle effects.

I know your proposal is of a somewhat different nature. Im not too keen on looking at greatsword wielding girls with shades and angel wings. But Im not sure I would have generic models turned on if all were exactly the same. At least outside of pvp. There would need to be some variety of generic outfits baked in. Then I would be actually interested in.

If only this thing did not make actual boss mechanics vanish aswell it would be nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Zeperio.4853 said:

you are saying: less items for players to spend on = better for the business???

There is no less, you can still have skin for you, nothing change for people wanting this store item

47 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I think we can all agree on the details if we have some checkbox for each category.
The variety would be close to what we already have in PvP, it is not to bad IMO

letting people see what they like / need is just perfect, and I am glad devs made a change in this way recently

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

All the money in the world would not have helped you since the kitten precuror had to drop for someone first and they be willing to sell it

Well, first precursors showed up on TP less than a month after release.
Two months after release there was a constant supply of Dreamer precursors.

With enough money (50g) it was absolutely no problem to get the precursor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

All the money in the world would not have helped you since the kitten precuror had to drop for someone first and they be willing to sell it 😁.

After that you would gone on a scavenger hunt to figure out what was needed for it to be craftd into a legendary.

The recipe was available less than 3 weeks (mid-September) after launch.

If the OP enjoyed the game only on day one, when few, if any, knew what they were doing, I'd think that was a bit unusual. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

If you read the first comment this was about day 1 of release not a month later.

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

True it was, but who would have been able to afford a dreamer day 1 of release?

Day 1? No, but when they started introducing ascended (barely 2 months into the game), there was already big enough group of players with legendaries that they had to make allowances for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I am afraid that, "faithful," in this case means the opposite of what the OP seems to desire. The game has included flashy, over the top, cosmetics from the beginning. Glowing surfboards wielded as greatswords, armor that included glowing magma, and so much more.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

If only this thing did not make actual boss mechanics vanish aswell it would be nice.

Really? I didn't notice. Is there some kind of list where this appears (if its only ow I dont care)? Because I don't know I can ever going back to not having this option turned on.

From my experience I had no problems seeing boss mechanics but have played very little pve recently. Any special/specific raid mechanics?

• Like 1

I set everything to best/highest quality and then reduce the character quality to lowest. Everything looks top notch.
Just everyone but me is wearing boring default armor. It's not pixel eye kitten. The lowest quality is not poor quality. Only the models have been changed and some animations, like rezzing, are different too.
Some individual back pieces, like wings, come through. And some full body infusions too. But not all of them.
I also disabled post-processing for a year. The game looks and feels better.

I think I started to change it about 2 years ago. Initially only because of the WvW, so that blinky flashy doesn't distract me. But then I kept it because it's more convenient.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:10 PM, Linken.6345 said:

If you read the first comment this was about day 1 of release not a month later.

Nope, it was not. Day one was never the point, you just threw it in ranndomly at some point.

The actual topic is that OP says The Dreamer breaks immersion, yet it is available since the begin of the game.

You might want to read the first comment again. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:12 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'm sorry to inform you that The Dreamer was available at launch. :classic_rolleyes:

On 4/20/2024 at 8:23 PM, Linken.6345 said:

True it was, but who would have been able to afford a dreamer day 1 of release?

On 4/20/2024 at 8:35 PM, Jedrik.3109 said:

Smells like poor.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:39 PM, Linken.6345 said:

On 4/20/2024 at 10:55 PM, kiroho.4738 said:

On 4/20/2024 at 11:10 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Here is the whole chain.

17 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Nope, it was not. Day one was never the point, you just threw it in ranndomly at some point.

The actual topic is that OP says The Dreamer breaks immersion, yet it is available since the begin of the game.

You might want to read the first comment again. 😉 

So next time maybe not take 1 post out of order and instead read the thread?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1