New ranger ranged weapon

jokke.6239

Posted (edited)

Longbow is too slow

Shortbow doesn't have much aoe potential, even with pierce

Axe has some aoe, but even then feels kind of boring compared to many options from other classes

Melee feels most fun on ranger. 

I'm blown away by other classes range weapon compared to the ranged weapon on ranger

Ofc much of this subjective

But as a ranger main, I would like to have a fast firing range weapon that does decent AOE

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• jokke.6239 changed the title to New ranger ranged weapon

If no new weapon, then maybe add an option to one of the specs

"shorbow/longbow 1 ability pierce and bounce to nearby enemies, but has (insert value that makes sense) % reduced damage"

But I don't know if they ever do that

Anyway, was just some thoughts

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

as a ranger main, I would like to have a fast firing range weapon that does decent AOE

Longbow is too slow

If that's your complaint then I hope they listen to you and make it faster. But really, I wish they'd add the ammo buff for barrage from WvW to PvE. Keep the PvE damage coefficient for PvE. Both of our suggestions satiated.

I feel like Ranger's axe is in a pretty good place. It's medium range with bounces, and 2,3,4 all hit multiple opponents, too. I like being able to target a champion / elite, and keep killing all the minions around it as a side-effect. If you're running Untamed, the axe's Unleashed Ambush is also really good, hitting the nearest 5 enemies in any direction within 900(!) range, dealing decent damage, bleed and immobilize. Axe isn't a machine gun, but it's great for dealing damage to a group when it's too dangerous to get close, and then when it's safe you can swap to a cleaving melee weapon to clear out all the enemies that you half-killed with your axe.

I'd like to see a better ranged offhand, though. Every offhand before mace included a ranged attack and a melee attack of some sort. Mace is the first fully melee offhand. Offhand pistol with a high-damage attack and with a backwards leap would pair very nicely with both axe and sword. A focus could provide a non-projectile ranged attack, too.

20 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Projectile hate needs changes and then we can think of new weapons, since 2 out of 3 possible new weapons are projectile centered.

So interestingly enough you can only reflect a projectile twice, before it completely ignores all projectiles. Something I found out recently.

As for projectile hate, I think they need to introduce more support unblock-able buff similarly to warrior staff 3. If anything unblockable should be a boon imo.

7 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

If anything unblockable should be a boon imo.

Absolutely not. More boons is the last thing the game needs, nor should defenses rendered useless vs larger numbers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Absolutely not. More boons is the last thing the game needs, nor should defenses rendered useless vs larger numbers.

Ok so then whats stopping every Zerg running a warrior per squad with staff which by all means giving allies 3 stacks of unblockable to 5 people.

Realistically, it would be better as a boon due the fact it can be stripped or removed. This unblockable buff you get from the staff isn't strippable or removable similarly to Aura.

The other perspective is, What stopping Anet from introducing more support weapon that gives unblock to allies?  Just saying.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Line_Breaker

One dome shouldn't be stopping unlimited amount of projectiles for a couple seconds. This just makes projectile weapons useless in large scale fights, with no effective counter measures.
Current unlockable system is way to inefficient outside of small fights. Also making it into a boon is probably gonna have no visible positive effect, while making boon removal even more valuable.
The only way to do anything about projectile inferiority, is to reduce the efficiency of projectile counters.

• Like 1

Ranger needs MORE RANGED WEAPONS. Honestly I wonder why Ranger isn't just throwing all their melee weapons. 

Daggers? Throws the daggers.

Swords? Throw the swords. 

Axe? Already throwing it. 

Mace? Throw it at the target.

Hammer? Yeet. 

GS? Throw it like a spear at someone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

Ok so then whats stopping every Zerg running a warrior per squad with staff which by all means giving allies 3 stacks of unblockable to 5 people.

Realistically, it would be better as a boon due the fact it can be stripped or removed. This unblockable buff you get from the staff isn't strippable or removable similarly to Aura.

3 unblockable hits every 12s is very different from perma unblockable for everyone in a zerg, and that's where it most likely would end up as boon. Boon strip is pretty irrelevant, because there is simply way too much boon spam and way to little removal for boons to be considered "counterable" in a realistic scenario.

I think, unblockable should go back to being duration based instead of stacks, to make it better in combination with aoe and multi hit attacks, which would make it more useful in large scale without hurting small scale. But there needs to be sufficient downtime, and that means it can't be a boon, because there is oo much boon share, + boon duration and so on, makes it pretty much impossible to properly balance.

5 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

3 unblockable hits every 12s is very different from perma unblockable

Hows that different from a boon. Like what stopping a whole team of warriors just time  ability 3 in a coordinated matter. Yeah, its not stackable, but you could theoretically keep un-blockable up permanently if you really tried with the current setup.

Of course not every zerg is going to do it, but there have been parties of nothing but staff warriors just saying no to your blocks, balanced parties between dps and supports.

Personally, if they balanced it into a boon and just gave a limit to how many you can have similar to aegis, or maybe 2 or 3 stacks of it, it would be pretty balance.

Having a duration based unblockable would essentially destroy the purpose of defensive based application. Ranger Warhorn used to be a big counter to people who abused blocks, literally made something like warrior shield's useless. Few Rangers, including myself abused the crap of that back in the day, and I'm pretty sure if you were around long enough you'd understand how powerful a duration based unblock-able was.

but... unblockable buff as it is now means you can do something with projectiles that would obviously get reflected or blocked otherwise. turning it into a boon would null your countermoves pretty quickly. being a boon, it would get stripped/corrupted/stolen which would yet again counter your counter. that cannot be called 'balance.'

however, I would advocate for more of the unblockable buff, since it's a really fun way to turn the tides around in combat. with how much projectile reflection there is, I have to resort to unblockable skills or non-projectile weapons because there is nothing else effective. rather than nerfing either uptime of projectile reflection or turning unblockable into a boon, I would say introduce this buff to a few more skills, like banner of tactics? 

@mirage.8046

you should try a group of warriors with it, I guarantee you'd laugh.

Coming back to the main subject.

I'd want rangers to ether have an off-hand sword, sceptre or shield.

Sceptre being ether condi focus or support focus, while off-hand sword should introduce some parry adaptation of a skill.
As for shields, I want a vine to pull people in when you hit it and summon a wall of vines around you. Like seriously, can we just attach an Iboga to the shield and call it a day with this one? 

• 5 weeks later...

Why is everyone so obsessed with zerging? We already have enough of classes and weapons for zerging, how about a new weapon (a rifle, a pistol) for a ranger that has fun mechanics and decent skills that freshen up ranger's playstyle instead of just melee weapons being JUMP IN AND SMACKY SMACK SMACK by mashing the keys on your keyboard...

• Confused 2