WvW but without other players?

WvW but without other players?!  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play WvW more if there was version without enemy players?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't know
    • Can you repeat the question?

1 hour ago, TexZero.7910 said:

Isn't it missing something important like bases with arrowcarts and airships ?

well, uncaptured bases do have enemy arrowcarts and oil. heck you even have flame rams, catapults, ballistas and arrowcarts that you can place, which the enemy NPC's also use. So even the Siege-weapon portion is already covered. 

You also have reward-tracks (although they work a bit differently), and you have capture- and defense-events, as well as some open-field skirmishes. 
You can also run around alone and still do events, or gather a large group and do stuff in large scale. Even the distiction between random pugs and an actually organized squad is there. 

so yeah, drizzlewood-coast is effectively: WvW, but without PvP but NPC's and automated events instead. 

The only thing it doesnt do is: provide Gift of Battle. And we all know that GoB will ALWAYS stay locked behind actual WvW (the same way that Gift of Exploration will ALWAYS stay locked behind core-game completion, aka PvE)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

wait a minute, is this sneakily trying to make a "single player" mode in guild wars? probably should be a Guild Wars 2 Suggestion, under home instance. 
ie: we get to build up our home instance, play pve/pvp/wvw to get items to reinforce our home instance, we have a switch/option to open up our home instance as an invadable objective,  we get resources from playing pve/pvp/wvw like are soldiers, sieges, animals companions, tricks, traps and illusion to be place all over the home instance, once it is set as and invadable objective, anyone can try to get in. the procedure, sign up to participate,  1 week long of people trying to invade your home instance, last one with an intact home instance wins. - prize.  rince - repeat. mean while keep play pve/pvp/wvw for even more defence items , << these resources can also be use as offensive 

lastly, this can be apply to guild hall too.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456

If only there was an option for players, either singly or in groups, to fight computer controlled enemies in a large open environment. I'm not sure what you would call such a game mode. 

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

This is a troll post, right?

In what other MMO do players ask for easy mode rewards like this?  You want to avoid "toxic stuff" yet this kind of thing is toxic too, trying to insert yourself into a PvP game mode and demand your own way.

It's 2024.

The Tiktok Generation craves their participation rewards. 

So, every MMO. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, ShadowInTheVoid.9183 said:

Yeah, those are the best bits of WvW. It's just annoying when you meet other players and they get in the way. Best case scenario you win the fight and you've still wasted your time and are worse off for it.
At least in sPvP it doesn't feel like your being punished for fighting other players and if you die you get right back into the match without a long walk.

+ a sPvP map is less the 15mins

GoB is only required to craft legendaries, which should have a little bit of prestige... Legendaries have the same stats as ascended equipment, which now you can get for free in the WV... Seriously if someone can't be bothered to finish a single reward track in WvW (which doesn't take that long) then they shouldn't be rewarded with an easy GoB. The game is already far too easy as it is and making it easier is what's ruining the game. Gw2 has a horizontal progression system, and if you can access the best gear in the game within a few months then what's the point on keeping playing? A lot of people enjoy WvW as it is, if you make it single player you will ruin the mode for everyone and risk more people leaving the game for good. 

• Confused 2

If you really want a change in the gifts, I'd have rather recommended trying to champion for letting players SELL the gifts (both the wvw one and the pve map completion one) on the TP. At least it would give both sides something they could make money on and keep the economy alive.

But it's been pretty dang clear for 12 years that ANet wants legendaries to be something you have to play "the entire game to get". (Unless you just buy the complete legendary off the TP .... which is honestly just so much faster, easier and cheaper than crafting it on your own, so why don't people just do that?)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

WvW without enemy players make no sense.

All slot legendaries should be obtainable by playing the desired game mode - why should I have to go get gifts of exploration or do story instances to get amulets?

But don't expect sympathy from WvW players - where would they get their kills if not by killing PvE players? Imagine everyone running proper roaming build - everyone would just be perma stealthed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I did some map completion earlier this week. It involved capturing some drakes to fight in the arena. But there are no drakes nearby. You have to kinda travel around because the game vaguely tells you the area of the heart so you just gotta make sure it's an area that the heart messages don't disappear....but sometimes this kitten overlaps.

Pretty simply, just gotta kill stuff. Wait nothing. Crap I have to read. Ok so you have to get their weapon from the NPC, and capture them.

Capture them.... wait you have to weaken below 50%? Why am I playing a crappy version of Pokemon? Can I at least use the drakes to fight on my behalf in the arena? No.

Ok whatever, at least I can fight them in the arena to speed things up right? Well no.

Arena combat can no longer be started by the player since the September 2014 "New Player Experience" patch

At times, the arena will cease to spawn new waves and there is no known way to start it again. It is possible that the arena was intended to be permanently inactive since the September 2014 patch, and is only active due to a bug that triggers its historical behavior.

Oh great, so apparently this heart's been broken for 10 years or they just didn't bother update the text.

Now this is far from the worst here. But keep in mind there are 303 of these stupid hearts you must do. And many of them are just either broken or poorly balanced because they are quite the relics of the past. POIs and vistas are easy, you just run into them, and it's cool because you have mounts. But these hearts are like nails on a chalkboard. Why are there so many even in beginner maps?

But hey, at least it's rewarding. For completing a map, I got 1 transmutation charge. Wait, what?

So yea, imagine preferring this dreck over WvW. Or HoT. Or anything.  Best thing about HoT was no hearts. Although it was overshadowed by the rest of the nature of gen 2 legendaries.

Now, I'm only doing it because I'm bored and because I got those WV legendary kits and I had a character with some map completion already. But dang...

You don't see me making threads about removing hearts , when there's a stronger argument for that. Honestly, I would prefer it if other players could kill me when doing this, since I'm already being killed by boredom anyways. Or at least let me kill the NPCs for being so annoying. I want an evil option. Imagine if you could shoot Brahmn in the face and siege bury him. Now I'd play every content release.

On a side note, they nerfed idle animations because they don't want your character yawning during a serous moment. But I think that's unfair because that's what I would have done.

So yea, if you hate it that much (GoB, GoE), just buy the damned thing if you can. And do not buy the WV  kit because those weapons are already discounted. You will pay for your greed if you're not prepared.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I did some map completion earlier this week. It involved capturing some drakes to fight in the arena. But there are no drakes nearby. You have to kinda travel around because the game vaguely tells you the area of the heart so you just gotta make sure it's an area that the heart messages don't disappear....but sometimes this kitten overlaps.

Pretty simply, just gotta kill stuff. Wait nothing. Crap I have to read. Ok so you have to get their weapon from the NPC, and capture them.

Capture them.... wait you have to weaken below 50%? Why am I playing a crappy version of Pokemon? Can I at least use the drakes to fight on my behalf in the arena? No.

Ok whatever, at least I can fight them in the arena to speed things up right? Well no.

Arena combat can no longer be started by the player since the September 2014 "New Player Experience" patch

At times, the arena will cease to spawn new waves and there is no known way to start it again. It is possible that the arena was intended to be permanently inactive since the September 2014 patch, and is only active due to a bug that triggers its historical behavior.

Oh great, so apparently this heart's been broken for 10 years or they just didn't bother update the text.

Now this is far from the worst here. But keep in mind there are 303 of these stupid hearts you must do. And many of them are just either broken or poorly balanced because they are quite the relics of the past. POIs and vistas are easy, you just run into them, and it's cool because you have mounts. But these hearts are like nails on a chalkboard. Why are there so many even in beginner maps?

But hey, at least it's rewarding. For completing a map, I got 1 transmutation charge. Wait, what?

So yea, imagine preferring this dreck over WvW. Or HoT. Or anything.  Best thing about HoT was no hearts. Although it was overshadowed by the rest of the nature of gen 2 legendaries.

Now, I'm only doing it because I'm bored and because I got those WV legendary kits and I had a character with some map completion already. But dang...

You don't see me making threads about removing hearts , when there's a stronger argument for that. Honestly, I would prefer it if other players could kill me when doing this, since I'm already being killed by boredom anyways. Or at least let me kill the NPCs for being so annoying. I want an evil option. Imagine if you could shoot Brahmn in the face and siege bury him. Now I'd play every content release.

On a side note, they nerfed idle animations because they don't want your character yawning during a serous moment. But I think that's unfair because that's what I would have done.

So yea, if you hate it that much (GoB, GoE), just buy the damned thing if you can. And do not buy the WV  kit because those weapons are already discounted. You will pay for your greed if you're not prepared.

lol yeah the hearts are the worse part of core exploration, many are badly outdated, the mechanics need to be fine tuned, better mob density or spawn rates for some. Hearts weren't really suppose to be in the game anyways, I believe they were only put in cause player feedback was they were lost when left on their own to explore. At that point wow had been out 8 years and conditioned mmo players to follow the quest hub. The game was suppose to be more about finding dynamic events which could change entire areas.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

lol yeah the hearts are the worse part of core exploration, many are badly outdated, the mechanics need to be fine tuned, better mob density or spawn rates for some. Hearts weren't really suppose to be in the game anyways, I believe they were only put in cause player feedback was they were lost when left on their own to explore. At that point wow had been out 8 years and conditioned mmo players to follow the quest hub. The game was suppose to be more about finding dynamic events which could change entire areas.

Yeah, it was added after the first time the devs had other people try the game to give feedback, and most of the players was just standing about confused and had no idea what to do or where to go, because there was no big ! over anything to guide them. So they added hearts as a way to guide players to areas that start events with the idea to keep them there for a minute until an event started and that would finish the heart as well.

Then they went overly zealous about this, and did the same thing to every dang map until Orr.

I would have been completely ok with the starter maps, a handful of them on the 15-25 maps, perhaps a couple of the 25-35 maps to get to where the map meta events where going. But they really should have reduce and phased them out.

More specifically, they really should have used hearts more as a way to gather players to start the event, not as boring grindy quests. Do 2-3 actions to start the event, that would have been good. Click on withered corn to make it healthy again 20 times to complete a heart..... easy but so incredibly boring.

100% agreed with Archon, no hearts in HoT had me whooping and cheering. PoF adding back hearts and made them REPEATABLE..... well I did eventually had to buy the expansion for the warclaw....

Edited by joneirikb.7506
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Hearts always made sense when linked with events. Endgame was only supposed to be events and so Orr followed that rule.

4 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Yeah, it was added after the first time the devs had other people try the game to give feedback, and most of the players was just standing about confused and had no idea what to do or where to go, because there was no big ! over anything to guide them. So they added hearts as a way to guide players to areas that start events with the idea to keep them there for a minute until an event started and that would finish the heart as well.

Then they went overly zealous about this, and did the same thing to every dang map until Orr.

I would have been completely ok with the starter maps, a handful of them on the 15-25 maps, perhaps a couple of the 25-35 maps to get to where the map meta events where going. But they really should have reduce and phased them out.

More specifically, they really should have used hearts more as a way to gather players to start the event, not as boring grindy quests. Do 2-3 actions to start the event, that would have been good. Click on withered corn to make it healthy again 20 times to complete a heart..... easy but so incredibly boring.

100% agreed with Archon, no hearts in HoT had me whooping and cheering. PoF adding back hearts and made them REPEATABLE..... well I did eventually had to buy the expansion for the warclaw....

Repeatable hearts pretty much ruined living story for me.  Also the NPE making the starter zones dumbed down also kinda sucked. At that point it's like why even bother.

It would seem Anet is better at implementing systems but not good at maintaining them. In general classes with a more stable design tend to work better, while the ones with constant retools lead to many disasters.

HoT metas had some actual thoughtful work done on them and as a result it outlived a ton of content after it that really felt disposable and just grounds for experimental failed gimmicks. So as a result people still do that, Drizzlewood, Dragonfall, and oh I guess Teq.

All of these things have good design because they all have partial rewards for reaching certain stages, but for some reason they forgot this in later content so the moment they put anything difficult in like Su-won, and then people hate it and the devs are like Surprise Pikachu Face.

Seems to be the same thing happening with the new fractal. Most Gw2 players: A new what?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

To try to add something constructive to the topic: (for fun)

I don't think a map without any enemies would work, but I can imagine a more
WvW-beginner map, that is focused more on teaching the mechanics of WvW
(supply, siege, attack and defence events, capturing and defending etc), where
direct combat between players either wasn't allowed, or at least restricted to
certain areas or situations. Something that preferably does help\affect the
other maps in some way, probably take over the EotM free supply thing.

Now, this should be a map that encourages players to move away from it and
onto proper WvW maps over time, and the most obvious way to do that is to
limit the rewards, so at the very least it shouldn't get more rewards than
EotM does. Perhaps even less.

It would also have to be a new map, especially designed to teach players to
play WvW, which is to say that ANet would never bother to make another map,
and honestly at this point I'm not sure if they even know what to teach? We
might just end up with a purely zerging map with just defending npc's I dunno.

Overall, I think it would be a smarter decision to focus on EotM and making
that a bit more tempting to new players, warclaw\glider, and sort of funnel
more players in there to get a taste of the wvw experience? Possibly adding
another map to it so people could play EBG for example in EotM as well, might
be interesting.

(Hmm, sorry for weird text formating trying a new text editor I'm not familiar with.)

• Confused 1

On 5/24/2024 at 4:16 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

It's 2024.

The Tiktok Generation craves their participation rewards. 

So, every MMO. 

WvW rewards are all partitisipation rewards. You don't need to win a single fight, you could happily just walk around withouts weapons, armor or any skills equipped and just run ruins or capture somewhere with other people enough to get your participation up and then just stand around till your rewards tick up and repeat.
PvE you need to complete events and achevements, PvP you need to at least win some fights, WvW is just a participation time sink.

Actually, I think the optimum build is to just max your speed, stealth and shadowsteping and just run away from any solo fight at the first sign of an enemy.