[POLL] The Boon Ball Meta

The Boon Ball Meta  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Boon ball meta yea or nay

• I love it - Keeps my group safe - Keep up the good work Anet
    • I hate it - So tired of it - Get rid of it already before I quit the game
    • Doesn't affect me - I avoid them - I roam
    • My unique answer doesn't fit in any category but my own

If you lose boon ball what do you have left likely you have pirate ship where you use spike dmg that can eat though the support (or weaker support.) You will lose melee and the game of wvw would be a lot more passive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

If you lose boon ball what do you have left likely you have pirate ship where you use spike dmg that can eat though the support (or weaker support.) You will lose melee and the game of wvw would be a lot more passive.

More passive than standing 2 feet from each other waiting for skill lag to clear and then people start falling down? Boon balling where you don't even have to leave the aoes, terrific. Dunno why people think balance needs to be to the extreme and not in between.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

More passive than standing 2 feet from each other waiting for skill lag to clear and then people start falling down? Boon balling where you don't even have to leave the aoes, terrific. Dunno why people think balance needs to be to the extreme and not in between.

This.  

The boonball enthusiasts think that people who hate this meta also hates comp squads.  That's not the case at all. 

All we're asking for is counter-play. 

The only counter-play to this meta right now, is another boon ball. And if you're not in one, you are useless. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

When we see Anet employees playing WvW, they are almost always in boon balls.  It seems to be what they favor so I have no faith they will change it. 

What devs prefer playing and what us good for WvW mode dont seem to be synonymous. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Evenge.4067 said:

When we see Anet employees playing WvW, they are almost always in boon balls.  It seems to be what they favor so I have no faith they will change it. 

What devs prefer playing and what us good for WvW mode dont seem to be synonymous. 

I've never seen a WvW dev in WvW outside of their streams.  There are random Anet people playing, but most of them work somewhere else in the company.

Not saying it doesn't happen ever, but if we see an Anet employee we should probably assume they're a random person joining a commander's squad like anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There was a dev on Ettin´s Back yesterday as they karma trained over 20 red pugs in EBG with a full map blob. Seems like he enjoyed it a lot. Enough said why this server is so stacked and WvW is in its state as it is currently

Edited by lindstroem.3601
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I've never seen a WvW dev in WvW outside of their streams.  There are random Anet people playing, but most of them work somewhere else in the company.

Not saying it doesn't happen ever, but if we see an Anet employee we should probably assume they're a random person joining a commander's squad like anyone else.

Josh and Roy play with boon balls, it's not a random occurrence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Evenge.4067 said:

True. I've never seen them in a server without an organized group.

Or at least they don't represent the ANET tag outside of a comp squad.  

Why would they? They have access to data that let's them join any server, any group that can guarantee winning. Right? 😒

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sviel.7493 said:

Anet tag doesn't always mean WvW dev. But WvW dev means blob and it shows in the design.

I just throw siege on them anyways just to be safe.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Josh and Roy play with boon balls, it's not a random occurrence.

For sure.  I'm not saying WvW devs don't favor boon balls, just hoping people don't harass random employees that have nothing to do with WvW.

54 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Anet tag doesn't always mean WvW dev. But WvW dev means blob and it shows in the design.

I just throw siege on them anyways just to be safe.

Fair.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Considering some boon groups pirate ship vs random pugs in this meta, I think it's definitely more of  a player issue more than anything else. That's more of the results of not learning how to actually fight and just hoping your enemies trip over and die. I would know, since that's what I did on the few occasions I commanded back then.

But of course this subforum is allegedly  filled with minstrel players that get killed by another solo player in 2 seconds so I suppose it is viable.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bunny.9834 said:

This.  

The boonball enthusiasts think that people who hate this meta also hates comp squads.  That's not the case at all. 

All we're asking for is counter-play. 

The only counter-play to this meta right now, is another boon ball. And if you're not in one, you are useless. 

The counterplay was organized small groups with siege that stalled in objectives to save the work gone into upgrading them.

Then anet started nerfing siege because garbage guild leader that was selling ktrain slots started  yelling at them in discord that 5 people with an arrow cart dared to murder 50 of his customers in quentin lord when they were sitting like potatoes in the ring.

Followed by complaints of another guild driver that was abusing the rune of guardian reactive burn to ktrain objectives for his gold farming operation, in which the people got tired and put down 6.5k supply into arrowcarts and just bagged him once.

You cant have balance in a game where the developers balance based on the complaints of the hypocrites just because they are louder.

The history of the WvW balance changes is proof of it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Few minutes ago, I walked into WvW and was kicked on the ground to Instant Death by a Large Pile of Trash Ball-Boon Ball. After 13 years, you would think that, the best thing to do to turn the game around is to get rid of the trash?

Nope

Instead

Let us make a big pile of trash and make it into a ball, so we can kick it around like a soccer ball

One more thing, let's make this Trash Ball reflect every damage with having non-stop pulls, perma-invulnerabilty, perma-immunity to all damages, perma-stability, perma-boons, perma-auto attacking, perma-trash ball rolling everywhere without stopping 

All the jokes are gone, All the circus shows canceled....only Tragedy remains

This is the outcome of Guild Wars 2 13 years of Missed Opportunity to turn the game around=13 years of Reycling Trash turning into a game of soccer.

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

10 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

That not passive every one is working together to make sure you can land dmg and keep your dmg dealer alive.

Its a lot better then 2 groups standing in open field (with out stealth spam) never push for a good 10 mins and then simply walks away because its boring.

Your views on gw2 combat dose not seem grouped aimed at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

That not passive every one is working together to make sure you can land dmg and keep your dmg dealer alive.

Its a lot better then 2 groups standing in open field (with out stealth spam) never push for a good 10 mins and then simply walks away because its boring.

Your views on gw2 combat dose not seem grouped aimed at all.

And again all you're talking about is two extremes of combat and not what it should be in the middle. Before this boon balling kitten we actually had a "front line" and a "back line", and the only reason why there was a pirate ship meta was because anet screwed up stability for a period of time. The maps are loaded with chokes and narrow sections to use, not everything has to be pirate ship, nor should it be ignore everything while you stand there until lag clears.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

And again all you're talking about is two extremes of combat and not what it should be in the middle. Before this boon balling kitten we actually had a "front line" and a "back line", and the only reason why there was a pirate ship meta was because anet screwed up stability for a period of time. The maps are loaded with chokes and narrow sections to use, not everything has to be pirate ship, nor should it be ignore everything while you stand there until lag clears.

The lose of the front line and back line has more to do with the range of high dmg then any thing else. Support was buffed after we saw high melee dmg during hot or toiletbowl meta hehe.

We got pirate ship becuse of high spike dmg but very bad support both stab as you pointed out but also healing.

• Confused 1

I think the underlying issue is that this game rewards players for bunching up into a ball rather than punishing them for it. This is because most support abilities target allies around the user and offensive abilities are usually capped at 5 targets max. In certain other games having 50 people stand together in one spot would simply get all of them nuked to death in 5 seconds.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

We've had melee for most of WvW's existence even before the 2020 damage nerfs. Despite the fact damage was higher before 2020, that never stopped people from meleeing.

What actually happened is stuff like dps staff ele got nerfed like 50 billion times and most of the classes lost their viable dps builds so they only exist as support. Stuff like high superspeed uptime made anything channeled and ranged a huge liability.

Pirate ship was only dominant during two eras:

2015-2016 on when stab was nerfed so there was basicaslly no cooldown where cooldowns could strip it. Fixed when it takes about a second to remove a stab. This is also why 1 stack stab skills kinda sucked. By 2017 you even saw the dps frontline guardian builds.

And During early  PoF, when bubble was super oppressive and scourge shades were there, but were nerfed fairly quickly anyways.

Backline vanished because of repeated nerfs to things like ele staff, and because groups had constant superspeed, doing long channels was just an unnecessary risk. Because staying ranged means you may miss boons and that's already a damage loss.

There are still some very high damage sources such as warrior longbow, and Holosmiths and the later is well, point blank. Yes the damage is rather high, but with recent nerfs the sustain is just as high.

People that still think Pirate shipping would happen outside this current state of the game because omg I'll die in minstrel gear are:

* Killing the pugs that orbit the boon balls. While fun, it's not really doing that much. In some cases it's actually good depending on how big the main boon ball is because less rallybots at crucial moments.

* Farming the same 15 people with a boonball. Just W key them already

* Get lured off by randoms like an NPC off tag and killed. Well, duh of course you'll die in any gear.

* Bad supports that only focus on keeping themselves alive, and then kitten at their party for dying and now nobody is protecting them.

* I suppose maybe you just play with bad Firebrands (70% of them)

But like I said before, let's just say I've seen a few of the vocal floor POV  forum folks that cry about getting killed in the game sometimes. And guess what they're doing in game? Well, besides crying in chat there is no difference. If only they'd use the keyboard to do something else! Until then it'll happen even when weapons are removed and all we have left are wet noodles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/18/2024 at 12:45 PM, Evenge.4067 said:

Absolutely. What I have noticed last few years is, 99% of times this biased hypocritical balance team never ever plays the builds/specs they are about to nerf to ground.

Edited by Lalary.3561
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Lalary.3561 said:

Absolutely. What I have noticed last few years is, 99% of times this biased hypocritical balance team never ever plays the builds/specs they are about to nerf to ground.

Not surprising, given it is like pulling teeth to separate the game modes.

The best way to get something nerfed is to abuse it in a raid after all. Which I think is kinda weird, since not that many people care about raids, much less raid balance lol.

• Like 1

Do you all really and truly hate the boon ball meta?

Do you want change? Do you want devs to take notice of your unhappiness?

Then stop fighting them.

Stop fighting those groups that you know are well out of your power range to kill, ignore them, run them around maps, give them no content.

Let them go complain to their dev friends how their 50 squad can't find anything to fight and they have to ppt empty objectives.

Every, single, change, to, defense, they did it for them. They messed with siege, tactivators, upgrades, fortifications, disruptor, supply, moa, boon strips, claim rings, lords, all, for, them.

You did nothing, you said nothing, you didn't protest loud enough, so they continued.

Anet does not want you defending, they don't want upgraded objectives in prime time when they're running with their boon blobs.

Stop Running Into Them.

Stop Giving Them Bags.

Stop Giving Them Content.

Or continue being a bag and let anet further destroy wvw in the name of boon ball fight guilds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Not surprising, given it is like pulling teeth to separate the game modes.

The best way to get something nerfed is to abuse it in a raid after all. Which I think is kinda weird, since not that many people care about raids, much less raid balance lol.

Dunno if that even works anymore, that virtuoso distortion bug was around for 2 years and people were abusing it in raids before anet bothered to notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Dunno if that even works anymore, that virtuoso distortion bug was around for 2 years and people were abusing it in raids before anet bothered to notice.

Yea I suppose something that has been touched less than WvW is an issue xD

• Confused 1