what the F*** is ranger right now?

On 5/29/2024 at 12:49 PM, Sahne.6950 said:

This is totally fine, and i am all for memeing on rangers, cuz they deserve nothing but nerfs, for playing that kitten class..

But when we are honest.... ranger is probably fine the way it is right now.

Buuut i also might be biased, cuz  ever since they nerfed OONGABOONGA,  ranger is a free win for pretty much all ele builds.

So take it with a grain of salt.

Yes that is more a sign of Ele not being as bad as Ele mains like to think, and not a sign for Ranger being fine. 

• Like 3

There are only 2 very good meta builds for the Ranger. like all classes. Play a core ranger, he is one of the weakest in the game

I think it's a shame that the build choice is very limited in pvp. I usually only play core ranger builds, even if they are very weak. Like the game mechanics of that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Prostyler.9658 said:

There are only 2 very good meta builds for the Ranger. like all classes. Play a core ranger, he is one of the weakest in the game

I think it's a shame that the build choice is very limited in pvp. I usually only play core ranger builds, even if they are very weak. Like the game mechanics of that.

So by core ranger mechanics you just mean any of the three especs without their unique mechanic? Because there aren't any skills or mechanics exclusive to core ranger just different trait combinations.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

You cant expect to have everyone read your explanation.

Maybe hammer was a bit more recent but mace/mace was still terrorising the scene since February when it was released.

Mace wasn't doing anything until the WS patch in March.  

Prior to this you had Sword meta, and still do for a lot of builds, as sword still hits harder and is more useful than trying to bunker down with mace, especially now with the huge nerf to the reset.  

9 hours ago, aymnad.9023 said:

Before the march patch ranger builds were either using skirmishing or WS. The other traitling were filled with either marksmanship or beastmastery + espec. Skirmishing is a huge dmg buff with no sustain and WS is a strong sustain buff with some dmg buff. You were always sacrificing something. Now WS sustain got buffed to a huge sustain buff (5-10% more dmg reduction than before) AND it is a good dmg buff (5-10% or more). THIS is when it actually became meta.

Agree, prior to March a lot of ranger builds were using Shared Anguish for the stability and ya  lot of times supplementing with skirmishing.  My Druid build has always pretty much run Sk/WS, but with the WS buffs can get away with a power variant now.

Sadly, not many here are going to see or understand this, as they latch on to whatever FOTM is killing them.  Since Metabattle listed M/M untamed as 'the build' (despite seeing M/M soulbeasts in ATs), will get complaints, such as this topic.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Hightop.8294 said:

Yes that is more a sign of Ele not being as bad as Ele mains like to think, and not a sign for Ranger being fine. 

This is true, I was not struggling with eles at equal skill until the double arcane+stab change, it gives them a decent window. It was needed, they were not doing well, although I still think its a lazy band aid.

Edited by Flowki.7194

5 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Mace wasn't doing anything until the WS patch in March.  

Prior to this you had Sword meta, and still do for a lot of builds, as sword still hits harder and is more useful than trying to bunker down with mace, especially now with the huge nerf to the reset.  

Agree, prior to March a lot of ranger builds were using Shared Anguish for the stability and ya  lot of times supplementing with skirmishing.  My Druid build has always pretty much run Sk/WS, but with the WS buffs can get away with a power variant now.

Sadly, not many here are going to see or understand this, as they latch on to whatever FOTM is killing them.  Since Metabattle listed M/M untamed as 'the build' (despite seeing M/M soulbeasts in ATs), will get complaints, such as this topic.  

You could have agreed with the forum when boonbeast was around, every clown in town could show up and do good. These days you are much more likely to lose a game where you have an average ranger in your team, who basically lose most if not all duels on a point. Meanwhile somebody who bought the game last week, jumps on a vindicator and will stay alive for far longer than he should ....because "revenant is a class played by best players and best players tend to win" or he could be a reaper, go gun blazing on a point, press F1 amd spin to win, contributing much more than he actually should.

• Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

You could have agreed with the forum when boonbeast was around, every clown in town could show up and do good. These days you are much more likely to lose a game where you have an average ranger in your team, who basically lose most if not all duels on a point. Meanwhile somebody who bought the game last week, jumps on a vindicator and will stay alive for far longer than he should ....because "revenant is a class played by best players and best players tend to win" or he could be a reaper, go gun blazing on a point, press F1 amd spin to win, contributing much more than he actually should.

And that's why I see people who try rev first time, dying a lot/ just pressing stuff and really bad energy useages, leaving them really vulnerable.

straightforward "sure", the cases somebody picks it up really fast is more rare and still average/littke below. Most who do are on other classes overall pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Wish I kept those clips of killing average vindis 1v2. Youre an absolute fool if you think that happens with average mace ranger, SPB, WB, so on. Everything mace ranger presses is a CC, barrier or stab. Even SLB is brainded dmg application compared to hammer vindi, ive played both. Still lol at the time when you could delete 80% of peoples HP with 2 ranged, track damage openers, or use them to burn half of their defensives so you could follow up with pulls into 14k maul crits. Delusional ranger mains.

"But after I have tried to pump 50k track/lock on+stealth jump dmg into the opponent, SLB is so squishy". It struck me as funny becuase scrappers and mesmers had a similar 1 liner.

The mace defence now "we so nerfed becuase our maces no longer have an entire elite skill baked into them". Please Anet, give a baked in 20% weapon skill reduction for my spec, I'd apreciate it more.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Wish I kept those clips of killing average vindis 1v2.

I can kill average to above average mace rangers 1v2...what is the point of listing it?

Hammer vindi just got nerfed along with mace ranger so, again...why are we acting like it's so sub-par? 

Give me damage on dodge and you can have the 20% CD reduction.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I can kill average to above average mace rangers 1v2...what is the point of listing it?

Hammer vindi just got nerfed along with mace ranger so, again...why are we acting like it's so sub-par? 

Give me damage on dodge and you can have the 20% CD reduction.  

I was not refering to vindi, and only a ranger would ask for damage on dodge coz at this point its got everything else, why not. You see any vindis defending deathdrop? Na, but plenty rangers and spbs defending their position.

Can you also stop pretending the sustain of vindi at average level is as easy as mace ranger? I have rarely played hammer vindi since the hammer 5 refresh buff, becuase it was a silly change, but nothing has changed on rev sustain in general. Energy manedgement is a very difficult learning curve, with a trip to spawn every time you get dps greedy, and don't save enough for a stunbreak/mobility. That is why only p1+ vindis are any real threat, the same as heralds, they absolutely melt in group fights below that skill, and it has been that way since I started the game. Its about as comparable as thiefs utility costing initiative, just think how many times they would die for getting greedy on dps, even good thieves.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Can you also stop pretending the sustain of vindi at average level is as easy as mace ranger? I have rarely played hammer vindi since the hammer 5 refresh buff, becuase it was a silly change, but nothing has changed on rev sustain in general. Energy manedgement is a very difficult learning curve, with a trip to spawn every time you get dps greedy, and don't save enough for a stunbreak/mobility. That is why only p1+ vindis are any real threat, the same as heralds, they absolutely melt in group fights below that skill, and it has been that way since I started the game. Its about as comparable as thiefs utility costing initiative, just think how many times they would die for getting greedy on dps, even good thieves.

Are you saying rev is underrepresented compared to ranger? 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Are you saying rev is underrepresented compared to ranger? 

Before hammer buff, I seen an occasional plat herald and that was about it, aside from a newb here and there. Across all that time, ranger was far more represented, and I recall there being more rangers than revs even when tempest was still meta, as I was playing both tempest and renegade at that time. Ranger is a pet class, thats always popular, and as bad as LB ranger might be, its still far better than ren, while ranger also has better melee options, its a no brainder that ranger is more popular. Vindi by sheer chance is now meta, which seems to have atracted more people to the class (and other rev specs). Is that a bad thing, or do you want more gaurdians, SPBs and virts in games?

Good players are good players, you gotte get that right.. and they will farm you on w/e the current fotm is. What really matters, is how high the skill floor of that fotm/great spec is, so that any random cannot just pick it up and have way more impact on games than their skill level should allow. DH has that effect, for example.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 2

None of you even constitute as half-qualified to make the opinions you have. Most of these complaints against ranger are lodged toward copy pasted ABC builds picked up by forum dwelling thumb twiddlers. You have absolutely no idea what true power ranger possesses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, rui falo.1097 said:

None of you even constitute as half-qualified to make the opinions you have. Most of these complaints against ranger are lodged toward copy pasted ABC builds picked up by forum dwelling thumb twiddlers. You have absolutely no idea what true power ranger possesses. 

X D
Everyone has a right to have their own opinion on whatever topic it may be. 

• Like 1

You can nerf our Ranger class and its subclasses, but know that when you read Raplion in PVP Ranked, you will be lying on the ground and afraid of my skill, I am the best Soulbeast in Guild Wars 2 =D, me > Boyce and others....also be afraid of my Wyvern Fire and Phoenix 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, rui falo.1097 said:

Wait, this is the ultra instinct bro  💀

Please keep memeing you brighten my day constantly

• Haha 1

stealth is basically OP, next to teleport

there's a reason why smokescale has been meta since it's release for literally every single top ranger build and still meta after all the other skills are nerfed and knock down removed.

you can remove warrior's HP and armor by 66% and give it stealth and 90% of it's builds would actually be 3x better.

without that smokescale smoke field, all ranger build would be like 30% less good.

also i feel like recent ranked meta favors stealth so it reached it's peak OPness, probably due to too many teleport abusing builds going on in ranked.

• Like 2