Event Leeching Has Really Gotten Worse, Hasn't It?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I know that the confused reaction is the default for "I disagree but I'm afraid to post" but I'm curious as to whether those reactions to my last post are that or something else. I promise I'm not scary, just curious as to what ppls think. Don't be afraid : )

It's used here like a downvote is on reddit. We used to be able to downvote posts here, but people didn't like it, so Anet removed it. Too often used like a weapon. People use the confused face instead, to let you know they don't agree.  

I can tell you for a fact that on the rare occasions I multi-box, I play both accounts. Actively. I bounce back and forth between them in separate windows, on my machine. I don't do as much damage as my full rotation, but I do do more damage than most people who are there, regardless.  I never leech, even though I multibox. And no, I wasn't one of the confused faces on your post.

Edit: Lol at the confused emoji.

Edited by Vayne.8563
Sorta like a post script.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

lol sry that was not a very specific post I guess ; p

I wasn't curious what ppls thought about the confused icon, I was curious what ppls thought about the content of the post. Do other ppls distinguish between afk and leeching or nah . . ?

The other day in Nayos, had this champion boss fight, which was hard to solo, when suddenly I saw someone and I thought "finally, now i can i beat this thing and be done with it" but that person never demounted, instead he was casually casting skyscale 2 on air, and when I was downed the person demounted, ress me up, and went back to skyscale 2, after I saw that I just left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

I wasn't curious what ppls thought about the confused icon, I was curious what ppls thought about the content of the post. Do other ppls distinguish between afk and leeching or nah . . ?

I should think it would be obvious by now that they are not mutually exclusive.

People who, for example, deliberately enter a Convergence instance to get rewards but then swiftly proceed to be afk the entire time are in fact leechers.   They upscale the event, contribute nothing whatsoever to the fight other than their presence on the map, yet expect the same rewards -- and get them, since Anet will not address the problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

One time I was halfway through a Convergence and then I had to leave. I jumped on my skyscale and hid myself away in a corner before going afk, so that I could at least still get the rewards. I have contributed to this problem.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

Leeching is intentional. You can afk sometimes, because real life happens, but it's usually not for the duration of the fight. Kid comes in, phone call, wife needs you, dog needs to go out, lots of reasons to afk. Everyone has to sometimes. Leeching is when you intentionally go somewhere with no intention of helping out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frazazel.7501 said:

One time I was halfway through a Convergence and then I had to leave. I jumped on my skyscale and hid myself away in a corner before going afk, so that I could at least still get the rewards. I have contributed to this problem.

There's a difference between someone who occassionally has an unexpected real life issue, which can happen to anyone, and a leecher who goes from event to event with no intention of participating beyond the bare minimum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, preacher.9370 said:

I'm kind of curious if its just people deciding to go afk, or if (more likely IMO) multibox leeches with their alts. Pretty sad you pull up to an event and see 3-5 characters somehow similarly named (see 4 heralds with similar names at pinata a lot), or all dressed the same (seen 5 toons at dragonstorm the other day, all same clothing/weapons with no dye, basic weapon skins). Like how does this not fall under botting? 

People AFK'ing on herald with boons running have been banned for "unattended gameplay" before (personally know one who did, have seen several other people with "why did I get banned qq" posts on reddit), so....yeah, you can report them for botting, lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

There's a difference between someone who occassionally has an unexpected real life issue, which can happen to anyone, and a leecher who goes from event to event with no intention of participating beyond the bare minimum.

Bare minimum is enough to get the same rewards. 🙂 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I think we're reaching the heart of the issue now. There are ppls who knowingly, willfully leech, and then there are ppls like you who will play two accounts at the same time but don't consider themselves leeches bc they're still doing 'more than most ppls' on both accounts. The problem is that the ppls who get their panties all in a twist about leeches only see the alt you're not playing atm afk . . .

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I think we're reaching the heart of the issue now. There are ppls who knowingly, willfully leech, and then there are ppls like you who will play two accounts at the same time but don't consider themselves leeches bc they're still doing 'more than most ppls' on both accounts. The problem is that the ppls who get their panties all in a twist about leeches only see the alt you're not playing atm afk . . .

I"m not afking. I'm going back and forth very fast between two accounts, in windows next to each other. I'm running a modified rotation on both screens. I'm not leeching because I'm participating. If you think participating is leeching, even I'm doing it on two accounts, then is a person who's not bothering to learn their class, doing teh best they can but only doing 2k DPS leeching?

I'm actively playing content and helping and I only do it on stuff like the Shadow Behemoth or Fire Ele. I would never do it in Dragon Storm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

These Open World events/meta's will be cleared by others regardless if there are leechers/multiboxers present.

Multibox is more visible now cause they can no longer just merely daily login for big rewards. the new system demands they actively participate in all sorts of stuff... including meta's.

People might complain in chat a little but they wont leave the map, cause waiting another hour in hopes of getting a leecher/multibox free meta map... thats unlikely and just a waste of time. The Skyscales and Multiboxers are in GW2 and acknowledged entities by Anet because.... well, they added those features/options themselves. Cant tell the Dev's what is allowed and whats not. You CAN ofcourse present suggestions, but not demand removal.

The only way to counter that stuff is if your with a large active guild and only invite your guildies/friends, but even then this only would work in private instances; Not really exciting though and prone to perfect boring victories with no hilarious outcomes of wildcards/chaos/picnic.

About Leechers, well... lets not be hypocrites here.... Are you people telling me; you have never, never leeched a little over the course of your total gaming history? in mmo's? 100% purity saints? 100% clean slate? No no no. Even my cat is not a Saint, and that chump only leeches food. 

Edited by Noidea Incognito.9607
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Noidea Incognito.9607 said:

About Leechers, well... lets not be hypocrites here.... Are you people telling me; you have never, never leeched a little over the course of your total gaming history? in mmo's? 100% purity saints? 100% clean slate? No no no. Even my cat is not a Saint, and that chump only leeches food. 

Yep, I've never leeched, not once ever. Not in my entire gaming history. If I can't activity participate in an event I won't go to that event. Leechers aren't people who get called away AFK by something happening in real life. They're people who intentionally go and plan to do the bare minimum they can in order to get credit. It's a planned thing. I've run by an event I had no intention fo doing and tagging something in passing as I went somewhere else, thinking I might get credit, but that's not leeching. 

Showing up at an event, sitting there while the event goes on, getting a few hits on the last boss so you can get the chest, while scaling the event the whole time is leeching. It's a conscious decision by a selfish player who doesn't care that others are doing the work, and they're not.  I've been called away by my wife over something important in the middle of an event, or spilled coffee on my keyboard and had to handle that, but I wouldn't call either of those things leeching.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

I feel particularly sorry for new players who see the event they're trying to enjoy burped out of existence, and therefore denying them rewards, by some retina-searing glowing 'hero' astride a skyscale in a low-level zone. I can live with the current level of selfish, self-absorbed players in level 80 metas and events because they're not a majority. Yes, all they do is honk fireballs around the place and get the same rewards that everyone else who actually puts the effort in do, but it takes nothing away from me or you really. At the moment. I enjoy the game by actually playing it as I imagine most of you do too.

Personally, I'd like to see the skyscale fireball skill only active during an event that requires siege damage. Doubt that'd be popular now. I'd also like to see final meta rewards for those who participated throughout the chain increased above those who only join for the final event - you have a choice then; increased rewards or less of your time used. None of these things will ever happen though. Leeching and idling was a problem in the original Guild Wars and, in fact, every MMO that has ever existed.

Your only option is, as one person has already noted, to walk away from the event and leave the leechers to shout 'heal zojja' at each other from their airborne vantage points. It does have a certain appeal...

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bex.4579 said:

I feel particularly sorry for new players who see the event they're trying to enjoy burped out of existence, and therefore denying them rewards, by some retina-searing glowing 'hero' astride a skyscale in a low-level zone.

I have never seen this happen.  Yes, level 80s in their full glory on a skyscale, sure, but not to the point of denying rewards.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I have never seen this happen.  Yes, level 80s in their full glory on a skyscale, sure, but not to the point of denying rewards.

The only time I actually saw this was when SoTO released, and people doing the new stuff for the skyscale, when they already had it, going around fireballing centaurs faster than people who hadn't gotten a skyscale yet and were working on it could get to them and kill them in Gendarren Fields.

• Sad 1

I'm not sure it's worse, but it's probably more apparent with skyscale.

On 6/3/2024 at 11:57 PM, Ruufio.1496 said:

Leeching is the most efficient way to maximize your playtime.

You confuse "maximizing your playtime" with "avoiding playing the game".

• Like 5

On 6/3/2024 at 11:26 AM, Gop.8713 said:

I differentiate between afk and leeching to some extent. If there is a knock at the door I might be afk momentarily to answer. If I expect my afk period to be more than momentary I will leave the scene or log out to character select so that I do not scale an encounter without contributing. Someone who intentionally places their character present for an encounter without participating is a leecher in my opinion. Of course sometimes life intervenes and one might need to dash away from one's computer without even a moment to click on the X, but that is rare.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have no problem with skyscales in big meta`s. 3-5 leechers of 50 players isnt a problem.

BUT

When you do a champion event/bounty/etc solo, and you see this wonderful human who lazily spits fireballs “helping” you...
I just mount up and do the same. Always works 😄

• Like 3
  • Confused 2