Let's Brainstorm The Expansion "Nickname"

23 hours ago, mandala.8507 said:

So, with all the other expansions we had pretty obvious abbreviations that were snappy and usually just us saying a combination of letters aloud.

For HoT, PoF, IBS, and EoD, we literally just read the letters out loud.

For SotO, we decided to pronounce the name phonetically.

With Janthir Wilds, it's less obvious what the true nickname and pronunciation should be. "JW" is simply a mouthful and not that compelling, so we probably need to come up with something better. Things I've seen so far include:

• Just reading the name in full, "Janthir Wilds"
  • "J-Dubs", which is alright I guess, but a bit too zoomer, imo
  • Calling it "Wilds"
  • Some people are trying to start calling it "JaW" I think, but that seems silly and a bit forced to me

The one I've come up with is "J-Wilds". Prevents us from being asked what Janthir is every time we say the name to newcomers. It sounds fresh/"hip", but not like something only someone still in grade school would be willing to say out loud (at least in my opinion).

But this of course will end up being a community decision, so let's just get some ideas down. Anyone got something better or have a strong preference for anything that's been offered so far?

Verbally I'll just say Janthir. In game chat I'll say JW. You're making this way more complicated than it has any right to be.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Exactly how i did. Lol "Pof" and "hot" yeah and e.o.d. (which means explosive disarming service in our country.). And soto, which is an indonesian dish. 

I think i will also stick to "Jah-Way"

Yeah - poor Icebrood got stuck with the widely known acronym for Irritable Bowel Syndrome... of course, there are those who question the poop connection as merely a "coincidence" 😆

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 6/6/2024 at 12:16 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

I also thought about calling it Jah-Way instead of Jah-Wee but there might be some religious people that could have issues with calling it Jah-Way. 🤷‍♂️

Oh! I knew it sounded familiar. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm just gonna call it JW. Those are already its initials, no extra brainstorming necessary 👍

Any confusion with the religious group or the abbreviation for "just wondering" is simply upholding the fine GW2 tradition of terrible acronyms - Irritable Bowel Saga, anyone? And let's not forget Antique Summoning Stones...

Edited by mikansei.5742
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 6:00 PM, Obnoxa.6702 said:

Yeah - poor Icebrood got stuck with the widely known acronym for Irritable Bowel Syndrome... of course, there are those who question the poop connection as merely a "coincidence" 😆

It still fits though.. xD the rest of the kitten never made it past the drawing board.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2