Regarding Warclaw

Will we be required to do WvW content to get it?  My wife and I are dedicatee casual PVE only players and are curious if it will be easily accessible in PVE content once the expansion comes out.

And if Warclaw is available in PVE there, will it be available in PVE everywhere else at that point?  Thanks.

The announcement already said it will be obtainable in PvE: "Previously only available through World vs. World, the warclaw will be introduced to players in the story of Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds, including new skills for PvE play."

Also it's already available to use anywhere in PvE (except the areas where you can't use any mounts).

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Since some got the Warclaw from WvW including its Masteries, will the new Masteries be available in WvW or in some other way? For example the Skyscale, Raptor etc those Masteries can now be seen via the Hero Panel while the Warclaw only can be now seen via WvW Panel. Will the new Masteries be seen via WvW or added in Hero Panel?

1 minute ago, Natta.8905 said:

Since some got the Warclaw from WvW including its Masteries, will the new Masteries be available in WvW or in some other way? For example the Skyscale, Raptor etc those Masteries can now be seen via the Hero Panel while the Warclaw only can be now seen via WvW Panel. Will the new Masteries be seen via WvW or added in Hero Panel?

They said it'll be getting an overhaul in WvW, but there's no chance it'll be as capable there as it will in PvE. In order to keep players from jumping into fortifications (and maybe to remind PvE players that are used to full mount abilities that they shouldn't be having toooo much fun while in WvW), mounting/gliding in WvW has to be a shadow of what it normally is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Parasite.5389 said:

not even sure thats possible

They managed to make gliding be separate unlocks, so they could try do it with the Warclaw as well.

And even if that doesn't work, they should be able to at least make the new masteries be strictly PvE-only, and keep the WvW features strictly WvW-only.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And even if that doesn't work, they should be able to at least make the new masteries be strictly PvE-only, and keep the WvW features strictly WvW-only.

theres no question about whether the new PvE abilities will by unusable in WvW, the blogpost literally tell us: "While in Janthir, you’ll have the opportunity to forge a bond with a warclaw mount and train a new Mastery line that grants your warclaw new skills in PvE maps" -  not in PvE and WvW

but is doesn't make much sence to have seperate unlocks for WvW and PvE
you'll still need to spend at least 1 World Experience point in the Warclaw upgrade to use it in WvW, but forcing players to unlock the same mount twice just to use it is all content is a little stupid.

• Confused 3

Rank points and mastery points use two different systems that don't overlap often. Most mastery points are irrelevant in WvW. We get things like certain jade bot perks for looting. Rank points do almost nothing in the PvE world. The only thing we really get is Permanent Portable Provisioner. Cheap discount quality canned food and utilities for only 5 Badges of Honor.

The warclaw currently uses three systems. Achievements for the mount unlock and rank points for abilities. Mastery does currently apply to them, but it isn't specific to them.

• All of the current WvW warclaw abilities get disabled in PvE content, as they are all tied to rank points.
  • Players are currently permitted to use warclaws in PvE, as they are achievement unlocks, even without a rank point placed into warclaw. The rank point mounting restriction only applies while in WvW.
    • Edit: For people that want to test this, go on an alt with 0 rank points spent. You can mount the warclaw in PvE content as long as you have the achievement for riding it! This is proof that the warclaw is not 100% tied to the rank system.
  • Once mastery points get introduced for the warclaw, those mastery points will only apply to PvE content, unless they break the standard like they did with the mentioned jade bot upgrades. Mastery points related to all of the mounts are disabled in WvW for the warclaw, even though the warclaw does get mount abilities within PvE content.
    • Edit: For people that want a current example on this, look at the current mastery abilities. Bond of Life, Bond of Vigor, Bond of Faith, and Stealth 2.0. None of these work in WvW. The warclaw can only use these in PvE.
Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:14 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

They managed to make gliding be separate unlocks

That's why it's still bugged in WvW. The second last trait, evading, does not work at all - instead, the last trait is applied when you level evading: endurance; that means you can basically stop leveling Gliding in WvW @ 4 pips and forget about the fifth. I wouldn't call that a fully successful transfer into WvW. 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's why it's still bugged in WvW (the second last trait, evading, does not work at all - instead, the last trait is applied when you level evading: endurance). I wouldn't call that a fully successful transfer into WvW. 😄

It actually does work, but there's no visual for the evasion other than floating combat text and energy depletion. It's kind of like a low budget evasion. 😆

Just now, Quench.7091 said:

It actually does work, but there's no visual for the evasion other than floating combat text and energy depletion. It's kind of like a low budget evasion. 😆

It is? I am getting the no-endurance trait at four pips already, so I doubt it is working as intended. :classic_huh:

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It is? I am getting the no-endurance trait at four pips already, so I doubt it is working as intended. :classic_huh:

You are correct about the last ability being bugged, being merged with the 4th ability slot. Characters don't need to spec into the 5th slot. The evasion does work on the 4th slot, though. It's one of those rare bugs that benefit the player! Shhh! Anet might find out.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

Rank points and mastery points use two different systems that don't overlap often.

Thanks for your detailed explanation, I'm not sure why it causes so much confusion. I think it boils down to: mounts always have been, and likely always will be, account-wide unlocks. Rank points are per-character progression. Basically all PvE masteries are disabled in WvW, the rank system just lets you buy access to special limited versions of those abilities. 

Warclaw is an oddity, being a mount with no PvE masteries but more abilities in WvW, but my guess is that it won't matter how you unlock warclaw; once it's unlocked, you'll be able to spend points on your WvW warclaw rank. The guildrider warclaw track will probably still be locked behind the original WvW unlock achievement, though. At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters if people with JW have "easier" access to it for WvW, it just means they'll spend less time at a disadvantage, and makes it more accessible to people who dip into WvW but mostly solo roam (and therefore struggle with the keep/tower objectives from the original unlock route).