So why is it called "Janthir Wilds?"

IMO End of Dragons always sounded kind of awkward. My guess is Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire came about naturally and just happened to use the same format and it's only after that some people (both within Anet and among fans) decided it was a trend and should continue, but they struggled to get a name which fit the format and accurately conveyed the key features of the 3rd expansion. Then they kind-of broke away from it with Secrets of the Obscure and now decided to fully break the trend even though they could have kept it going, so that in future they'll have more freedom with expansion names.

Especially if they're going to stick with doing an expansion every year it could quickly get restrictive and difficult for marking if every single one has to be called [Something] of [Something].

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

And not "Wilds of Janthir?" Why break the "X of Y" naming scheme we had going on?

Because the dragon cycle is finished.

They went away from the "X of Y" scheme after EoD. Pretty much for symbolic reasons. New release cycle, new overlying arc, new name scheme(s).

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The Whisper of Jormag Strike Mission already occupies the WoJ abbreviation.

Maybe they wanted to avoid confusion between both.

I don't think so. They never really cared about player made abbreviations.

Soulbeast and Spellbreaker were both called "sb". Players simply changed it for Soulbeast into "slb".
When naming things, Anet don't really have to care about what abbreviations players use

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

And not "Wilds of Janthir?" Why break the "X of Y" naming scheme we had going on?

It can be the ""Wilds of Janthir" of your Heart" making it "WoJoyH" for short.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Consistency is really important.
I love XIV for that, all the expansion are single-composed words that speak directly the meaning/theming of the expansion.

Naming should be something a studio should really care, because it shows consistency, but so far Anet is only being consistent at being inconsistent, is the only recurring theme they can convey since the very start of this project.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

19 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Because Janthir Gone Wild had inappropriate undertones (although it could go well with the upcoming swimwear release).

Oh I do hope this is a new festival!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1