Event timers are cringe

16 minutes ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

It kind of bothers me the op keeps insisting on having main character syndrome. I would kill many bandits for a proper A-life system in this game. 

**a-life system** is what?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TheThief.8475 said:

I explained that the fail timers can still exist but they should not start on their own, but when a player starts contributing, for example 

What you want is basically standard quests from most games

Gw2 intentionaly did it differently with events that take it's course with or without you.

You may not like it but it was a deliberate decision to make the world feel more random.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, TheThief.8475 said:

I don't choose to ignore their reasoning, they just don't solve the problem I pointed out

It can make all the sense you want, but if it is frustrating from a gameplay standpoint, I will still not like it

How much "problem solving" can a post done by a community member do in your oppinion? (It's not a lot btw.)

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

Events that start by themselves and then have a failure timer seems a bit pointless

I'm not sure those type of event even exist in the game, I can't recall even one. The closest we could have from that is event out of event chain that start when a player is nearby the event zone.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:06 AM, TheThief.8475 said:

I'm talking about random open world events, not meta events.

I don't recall any such events being more hectic than in Dragonsfall, and that was at the end of Season 4.

Yes, some maps are more hectic than others in regard of events, but with the right mounts you should be fine.

If you find it overall to be too hectic, maybe a walking simulator would be better suited for your needs? 😉 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TheThief.8475 said:

If they are random open world solo events what is the problem in a tank or healer soloing them ?

-----Everyone is ignoring the fact that I don't want fail time removed, I just want them to not start on their own.

Events can still fail if you can't complete them during their fail timers, events chains still exist, you just won't step on events that are about to fail and not be able to do anything about it. -----

I keep crossing events that have 0% progress and 1/2 minutes remaining, and some of them are not doable in that time if you don't speedrun (and you may fail anyway, not because you deserve it, but because you crossed them in that moment and not 3 minutes earlier)

Events starting on their own is part of the 'living world' feeling. If an event starts by itself and fails, it will restart- you just have to be there when that happens. Some events do wait for a certain number of players before they start (Dragons' Stand, Gyala Delve) in order to have a chance at success. Why should you expect to succeed in an unprogressed event with seconds to go? That's incredibly arrogant.

The reason i mentioned tanking/healing builds is that they have notoriously low dps, which drags out the event and increases chance of failure due to timing-out (if it's time-sensitive).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Starting timers on all special events is consistent; there may be the occasional "late starters" events. But overal its all in balance each day of the week.

Because their World scale events it makes sense a regular hero has no saying of when those begin.

You are just a small gear in a larger machine.

For the machine to work properly you need to join other small gears to make the machine work. But for that machine to operate smoothly the machine needs to be lubricated with the right mix of builds/specs. without the right lubrication you damage the machine. Then the Machine has to reset itself for another try next hour.

If a small gear has an obligation with a machine somewhere else.... Well... that small gear is gonna miss out. In the end its about choices and obligations. 

But its 7 days of the week that the larger machine will need smaller gears, and then it starts over in the next week.

The Larger Machine needs small gears multiple times a day, many chances of being a small gear on a daily basis.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, Shuzuru.3651 said:

I'm not sure those type of event even exist in the game, I can't recall even one. The closest we could have from that is event out of event chain that start when a player is nearby the event zone.

I think Destroy the chicken coops and the undead eggs inside might possibly be an example, but as you say I think stuff like this just starts even if someone just happens to be passing by and has no intention of stopping for it. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I think Destroy the chicken coops and the undead eggs inside might possibly be an example, but as you say I think stuff like this just starts even if someone just happens to be passing by and has no intention of stopping for it. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not so sure; I've had to wait for that event when wanting to 'Fight the Inquest Ornithologist'. 

• Like 1