I believe Housing system that allow us to build our own Houses is better than Prefab only

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

More then likey its not norn but one of the kodan bears old homes we will get.

Yes, you're right. 🙂 We get a house from the kodan, but it fits norn style the best. Human a little, but the other races, not so much. So that's why I hope we can change the interior wall panels at least. Another option: covering the walls with hanging garden/plants for sylvari.

On 6/17/2024 at 10:26 PM, frazazel.7501 said:

If the reason to limit the number of items you can place is because of performance concerns, then I think with private player housing, there's no problem with allowing players to place more items than in guild halls. After all, it will only be affecting them and the players that they specifically invite to their homestead. If a player wants to place twice as many items and make it take twice as long for the map to load, it's only hurting them, so let them do it.

Placing too many objects in one instance doesn't just make it slower to load, it can cause it to crash on loading and then there's no way to play that character (because it will always try to load them into that map) without getting support to move them.

I first encountered it when I tried to fill every single square on every floor of a Sims house with chairs (I don't know why I tried that, but I did). I didn't even get them all filled and the game would crash trying to load that house. Thankfully in that game I could just delete the house without loading into it, but when similar problems have happened in other games it took the developers to fix it because players would have to load in first to move their character somewhere else or make changes.

• Like 1

personally i've never saw the point of housing in games, unless you're into RP.

people who want to stand around usually do it in cities where they can show off their character.

noone really wants to stand around doing nothing in a private instance.

when i log in i log in to play the game, farm loot, kill bosses, complete events etc.

not stand in a private instance admiring my placement of a coffee table.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Liewec.2896 said:

not stand in a private instance admiring my placement of a coffee table.

Well, you could turn it into a true interactive experience by drinking coffee in real life while admiring your virtual home. 😂

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Placing too many objects in one instance doesn't just make it slower to load, it can cause it to crash on loading and then there's no way to play that character (because it will always try to load them into that map) without getting support to move them.

That's a good thought. Whenever I leave my home instance, GW2 always kicks me back to the city I entered from, and I expect it's like that for other private instances, too. So we probably won't end up with trapped characters if overloaded instances cause players to crash. We could end up with inaccessible homesteads, though, which is a real problem.

• Like 1

Concentrating on past mistakes and screwups would have went a long way in making the game more enjoyable, instead of adding more bloat to the game. Most of the new stuff I'm seeing is all about [hey look at me]. A concept I just can't fathom.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

That's a good thought. Whenever I leave my home instance, GW2 always kicks me back to the city I entered from, and I expect it's like that for other private instances, too. So we probably won't end up with trapped characters if overloaded instances cause players to crash.

This, in programming you can create a fallback for situations an error could occour.
With this you can rather easily kick the player out of the homestead instead (or before) crashing the game.

3 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

We could end up with inaccessible homesteads, though, which is a real problem.

Not even that necessarily.

If the error handling is done very well, it can be used to remove (put back into storage) the object that caused the error for example. The player then could get a pm with a note about object XY being removed.

• Like 1