elementalist spear

Just now, Genesis.8572 said:

If the Spear is purely a power-based glass cannon weapon, I'm curious what Air and Water attunements will bring to the table. Thematically, it would be nice to have a build that uses Air and Water, which has some options for bonuses to strike damages, to make a proper "storm mage." 

Yeah, that was a thought that crossed my mind as well, although my primary thought is that hopefully we'll at least get a decent air attunement since it's power this time. I suspect the optimal DPS choice will still be fire+air traitlines as always, but for a ranged weapon, air+water would have the advantage of having both of the on-swap minors being minors that are useful even at range, and for a solo build having a bit of additional sustain through Water might be worthwhile enough to use it instead of Fire.

• Like 4

I don't expect too much, that way i will not be deceived. 

I'm under the impression that, since the dev have 4 more works to do to "imagine" (hum...) the ele skills than for the others professions, they think that the ele must do 4 times more things to achieve the same things than the others.

Edited by Squirrell.1493
change of 1 word to try to be more clear, since english is not my native langage
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Squirrell.1493 said:

I don't expect too much, that way i will not be deceived. 

I'm under the impression that, since the dev have 4 more works to do to "imagine" (hum...) the ele skills than for the others professions, they think that the ele must do 4 times more things to achieve the same things than the others.

Yes!

ANet must make the piano profession great again!

• Like 1

I think the spear looks pretty great. I think it's interesting that it seems like they've designed a weapon similarly to how several people have suggested building out a skill set that potentially reduces development difficulties and/or simplifies gameplay, with each skill appearing to share a mechanical functionality across all attunements.

The biggest concern I have right now is that the reduced mobility incentivized by the etching mechanic won't produce enough damage to justify building a skill up to its final form, but numbers can always be adjusted. The mechanics themselves look very interesting, though, and look like they'll do more than enough to separate it from staff as an alternate ranged playstyle.

As a side note, I wonder if spear being added as a ranged power weapon designed to promote the glass cannon approach frees up room to revisit staff and bolster its abilities as a support/utility weapon in the future.

• Like 3

I gotta say, biggest worry is spear entirely replacing and pushing out staff from any future power builds (or hope of rework/buff for power builds). The staff wielding caster is an extremely iconic and well established theme and I don’t feel like replacing that with a spear would make it quite the same.

• Like 2

My initial thoughts: FINALLY! something that seems to fit what an ele should be doing. Ranged glass-cannon. Effects look great, and I like the skill build up idea. Gives it a 'mage' or 'avatar' feel. Hopefully the range is actually long range (at least 1200, but should be 1500 to compete with ranger LB or thief rifle).

Concerning like others commented, doesn't seem to have much mobility. Hopefully you're not locked in place to complete the build up or other cast time skills (like staff fire 5).

I just hope Anet also balances it properly, as  class that doesn't provide much support shouldn't be nerfed to do the same damage as other classes that can do massive support. 

Edited by Ram.5981
  • Like 3

Mmmkay I like what I am seeing with Ele's spear!! It might not have a lot of mobility but compensates for etching gigantic AOEs. I doubt it'll replace staff, especially in the utility/support department, but I hope it doesn't creep on to staff's aoe capabilities. We don't know whether the spear will have leap finishers or blast finishers, which CC effects it'll have, or other utility (superspeed, blocks, auras, evade frames). I am also cautiously optimistic about Weaver's spear's dual skills. There are still a lot of tests for spear to pass. I like that air AA throws a spear, hopefully it hits multiple targets instead of being a single-targeted AA. :o Could be an opportunity for a bouncing AA here!

Hopefully, they revisit staff and do not accidentally make spear replace it for doing long-range damage and AOEs.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I don't like the gimmick. I'd rather have them cut that out and buff the other abilities.

Amen. It cements a static rotation like in hammer or pistol ... I don't even recall the feedback being very positive on those features anyway xD

Very much looking forward to trying it out in wvw.

I like to see how conjar weapons work with the spears effect. Do you lose it bit 5 effect when you switch to an conja wepon or dose it stay for the 5 flip when you drop the conja wepon? You can do some fun things with realty good timing i think though it all needs to be tested.

Edited by Jski.6180