Help me choose Deadeye or Virtuoso

Hey all, fairly new player here looking for some opinions. After getting my first character up to the beginning of HoT, I took some time to get a bunch of characters to 80 and fitted with an elite spec so I could test drive and decide who I'm going to focus on for story/map completion since I likely won't do that more than once.

As title says, it's basically down to deadeye or virtuoso. I really enjoy both as the playstyles seem very similar (build combo points and dump them on a big hit) with some obvious differences like the virtuoso's more flexible combo points not being tied to a target. Both seem like they have pretty good 1v1 solo capability too for hero point bosses, etc. What I really like is that maintaining boons and other buffs doesn't feel like a chore. I'm not using abilities off cooldown purely to keep fury up for example, rather I'm using skills when it makes sense and the boons take care of themselves.

I'm playing both as power, and I know virtuoso supposedly performs much better as condi but this build seems plenty strong and I like it. I stick to a rifle on the deadeye, and the virtuoso is dual swords with a mainhand swap to dagger. Both are more or less damage specs with some survivability mixed in as I'm not trying to maximize DPS for raids or anything, at least not yet.

I'm curious if any more experienced players can tell me some good or bad things I might run into later that might not be obvious yet, like any known bugs or other problems that surface after more extensive playing. For example I am aware of deadeye's auto attack breaking stealth after using F2 which is not a huge deal breaker for me.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Pitchforque.2635 said:

Hey all, fairly new player here looking for some opinions. After getting my first character up to the beginning of HoT, I took some time to get a bunch of characters to 80 and fitted with an elite spec so I could test drive and decide who I'm going to focus on for story/map completion since I likely won't do that more than once.

Remember, you can "test drive" all elite specs in the Spvp area to a limited extent (or in spvp games if you want).

While it won't mirror every type of PvE game play, it will save you a ton of leveling.

You might also want to consider the class overall, not just 1 elite spec/build. Which ever you pick, you will grow tried of it eventually. That and limiting yourself to 1 build/spec makes you very susceptible to balance patches (though less of a concern for story and open world content).

Between Virtuoso and Deadeye, I'd suggest mesmer for pure PvE.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

[...]You might also want to consider the class overall, not just 1 elite spec/build. Which ever you pick, you will grow tried of it eventually. That and limiting yourself to 1 build/spec makes you very susceptible to balance patches (though less of a concern for story and open world content).

Between Virtuoso and Deadeye, I'd suggest mesmer for pure PvE.

Pretty much this. Especially if you like playing support, Chrono is in a pretty decent spot right.

On 7/8/2024 at 8:40 PM, Pitchforque.2635 said:

As title says, it's basically down to deadeye or virtuoso. 

Reaper.

I'm kidding...  but not really; we reaper mains can get a little... some call it arrogance, we know it's confidence 😆

That said I'm going to go against the grain and say Dead Eye - I won't lie to you, I'm a horrible mesmer, and by horrible I mean the kind of mesmer who misjudges the distance for a port and now neither of us can get back up there kind of horrible. Fight like I'm throwing feathers and waving a bubble wand while looking in a different direction kind of horrible. I've tried on and off for 12 years to be a mesmer and Tyria is a better, and safer, place when I'm not so I may be a little bias.
But enough about my mediocrity,  a D/D Dead Eye is a really effective killer; rifle is great, gives you that sessy sniper feel - but two daggers and a malice refresh? Ohhhh baby, you get your timing down on Death Blossom and put your Mercy cantrip up and you can just twirl over mobs endlessly, evading and slicing the kitten out of everything around you - only thief build I can solo PoF and HoT HP Champs with.
As I've pointed out, I don't really have a comparable point with a Virtuoso because I stink, but DE is fun as heck, great at soloing in PvE and can make others rage-quit in WvW so #teamDE for me.

Edited by Obnoxa.6702
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Deadeye. Great mobility, survivability, good damage, easy boons, huge amount of CCs. Even Celestial D/D is currently one of the tankiest class in PvE. Rifle can pierce enemies now, Staff is really great for cleave. If played well, Staff Deadeye can stun-lock enemies, keep really high or even perma quickness, outheal massive damage, evade more than just dodge, blind enemies without CD.

Virtuoso is fragile — mesmer's best defence is clones... but Virtuoso does not use any clones, so all agro is on you. And your survivability/ability to outheal incoming damage is 3% from bleeding dmg, Healing Signet, or drop 50% of your damage for Inspiration traits, or Relic of Zakiros.

• Like 1